Magnakilro's Guide to the Time-Lost Proto Drake

Magnakilro
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar

Magnakilro's Guide to the Time-Lost Proto Drake

Unread post by Magnakilro »

Hello and welcome to another episode of "What Could I Possibly Waste My Life On Now?" I'm ur host, Magnakilro! Let's have some fun...maybe.

So far we've hunted for raptors and tigers in Zul'gurub, rescued a very horny frog from Zul'aman, dove into the depths of the temple of Ahn'qiraj to become friends with some of the local bug population, and we've tamed a King! Now we shall hunt possibly THE rarest of rare spawns! This creature is aptly named: Time-Lost Proto Drake!

This drake is a rare lvl 80 elite gold colored proto drake that flies around Storm peaks. VERY easy to defeat....not quite as easy to find. He is not an ach target....his main claim to fame is the mount of the same name and model that he ALWAYS drops. The mount is 280% speed.

Here's what you'll need:
A flying mount (280% reccommended)
a targetting macro (/target Time-lost proto drake
/target Vyragosa
/target Skoll
/target Dirkee)
the Auto-dismount during flight option turned ON
an instant cast ranged ability
some form of slow fall
PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE
Luck

With all of these in ur possession...we're ready to begin! Go to Wowwiki.com and type Time-lost Proto Drake in search bar for a map of flight paths. For those that need a slowfall there's are vendors in Storm peaks that sell Snowfall Lager that gives the desired effect. It costs 2 relics of Ulduar. The horde vendor is Olut Alegut at Grom'arsh Crash Site....I believe the alli one is at Frosthold.

Note: To access these shops you must complete a quest that requires u to turn in 10 relics to the shopkeeper...don't forget to choose Snowfall Lager as ur reward!

Now here's what you do:
step 1: prepare...get ur slow falls rdy, set up the macro (or NPC-scan), get ur instant cast attack ready, and turn on Auto-dismount in flight.
step 2: head to storm peaks
step 3: fly around the 4 flight paths till macro/add-on targets a rare
step 4a: if Vyragosa, kill it then come back in a few hours
step 4b: if TLPD see step 5
step 4c: if TLPD or Vyra dead, come back in a few hours
step 4d: if Dirkee dead or alive, kill or ignore...he is not important here
step 4e: If Skoll, tame, kill, or ignore.....if you do not want to tame him....please announce his presence in general chat....only kill if no one else wants him....like Dirkee tho, he is not important in the TLPD hunt, despite spawning on some of his routes. Like TLPD, there is no ach for killing Skoll (if u want that ach....I have it on my main.....*cough*)
step 5: if u have found TLPD alive and untagged, get within range and cast ur instant attack....u should auto-dismount and hit the proto.
step 6: activate ur slowfall before u become a stain on the snow
step 7: easy part....kill the TLPD
step 8: ride off into the sunset on the wings of ur new mount
step 9:?
step 10: Profit

Be prepared to hunt this thing for MONTHS! He is extremely rare.
Note: BE SURE TO KILL VYRA IF U SEE HER! She shares TLPD's timer, pat routes, and spawn points. TLPD has a rare chance of taking up Vyragosa's respawn, making TLPD a "rare spawn of a rare spawn". Dirkee and Skoll are useless for this camping trip. GL!
Last edited by Magnakilro on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar made by the awesome Senna-umbreon
Azzrazzah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary is the Shizznit,

Re: Magnakilro's Guide to the Time-Lost Proto Drake

Unread post by Azzrazzah »

Or be like me and be in the right spot at the right time... Flew over my head as I was leveling a new pet

I Came...I Saw...I Tamed

Magnakilro

yah....that could work XD
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Or be like me and fly around SP for two weeks before getting the darn thing. Even worse, I got my Ironbound the next week. That's two weeks of farming for something I used for about a week.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Magnakilro

LUCKY!.....I SOOOO want the Ironbound proto......but I'll prolly never get it.....u even found the TLPD faster then me! Took me over a month for mine x_x
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Eh, my first day of looking I found Vyra...she ended up kicking my druid's butt when she ran out of mana. (She's feral.) and Vyra was too high up to melee. So I stalked Vyra till I got to a point where I could melee her to oblivion. Got a really awesome looking helmet, too. Looks like the one the Nexus Stewards have. Love that look.
Deathstalker
Realm: Illidan

Unread post by Deathstalker »

Love the guide. Not sure if my approach would work, but I was actually camping a Skoll Spawn point when TLPD spawned right behind me. Snagged this guy for basically 13 1/2 hours of camping, still no Skoll though. First time out, & this happens, wonder if it's truly luck...

http://hdimage.org/viewer.php?file=g8z1 ... nqbfxa.jpg

GL to those trying to get him.
Sochi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Sochi »

I have been seeking this drake on and off, often for hours at a time, to no avail. I persevere, but when you look for something that has such a slim chance of even being there when you are it gets very frustrating. I've been glaring at mountains, yelling at any other player (in my mind) to even get close to the route, and taking a census on Jormungar worms. I have killed Vyragosa once, seen her dead once, and have run across both Dirkee and Skoll.

But no Time Lost Proto Drake. Not even a glimpse of a scale, alive or dead.

This guide is great, especially for those starting out on this hunt, but for me, it doesn't tell me anything I don't already know or employ.

*grumbles* Well, off to take care of real life stuff and then back to the endless circling in the cold and lightning.
Adam-Savage
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar

Unread post by Adam-Savage »

I've only seen the drake show up on the npc scan once. I was on my lock doing the son of hodir chain quest and I didn't think of it at the time to use my chute and fall the the ground and go find and kill him.
Magnakilro

I know you'll get him Sochi!!!!!!!!!! Just keep at it and soon he will deem you worthy of his reins! To help I shall give you the tips of DCB's (my DK) lucky horns!!!!!!!
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Magnakilro wrote:I know you'll get him Sochi!!!!!!!!!! Just keep at it and soon he will deem you worthy of his reins! To help I shall give you the tips of DCB's (my DK) lucky horns!!!!!!!
She actually got him last night. :D
Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst/Staghelm

Unread post by Suicune »

Pass that luck to me ;_; I've been camping this guy for over a year now, not one sighting of him, corpse or otherwise. Missed his spawn twice because my friend insisted I go to bed and he won't spawn. Read about the kill on Wowhead after I woke up... 10 min or so after I logged, on my spawn point I logged at. Same thing happened a few weeks later. Killed Vyra too many times, probably near 20 now. Took awhile for my nerdraging at my friend to subside hehe. That'll happen when you camp for stretches like I was doing then. I log at my spawn every night, people notify me of Vyra sightings and all that jazz... I'm going mental from this drake! >_<
~Queen of the Spirit Beasts~

Follow me on Twitter @GoddessSuicune

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced <-Main.

http://goddess-suicune.deviantart.com/ <-Rarely updated, too busy playing WoW. :lol:

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! Stop by our Guild website: http://www.thedarkswarm.gamerlaunch.com (Azuremyst/Staghelm)
Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dentarg

Unread post by Valinai »

Is it just me, or did anyone else have a small heart clench when reading the words "step 4d: if Skoll or Dirkee dead or alive, kill or ignore...they are not important here"...

I know he drops loot and he's a rare spawn, but there's no achievement and a bunch of us are hunters. Let's not kill the big blue doggie that so many of us are searching for...
Magnakilro

Edited my post....skoll now has his own step due to how wanted he is.
Valinai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dentarg

Unread post by Valinai »

Magnakilro wrote:Edited my post....skoll now has his own step due to how wanted he is.
<3
Suicune
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst/Staghelm

Unread post by Suicune »

Finally got mine today! Keep at it and never give up! Even when things seem rough and you feel like you will never get him, he will spawn... it may take 'forever' and you may have near-misses, but when you finally mount up on him- so worth it.
~Queen of the Spirit Beasts~

Follow me on Twitter @GoddessSuicune

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... e/advanced <-Main.

http://goddess-suicune.deviantart.com/ <-Rarely updated, too busy playing WoW. :lol:

The Dark Swarm is always looking for new faces! Stop by our Guild website: http://www.thedarkswarm.gamerlaunch.com (Azuremyst/Staghelm)
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

Spoken like a true rare hunter. /salute
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
Ade
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Ade »

i've just started this hunt again for about the fourth time(wish me luck :lol: ) I using both silverdragon and npcscan. I was wondering if anyone know's what the npc id number is for this drake, for some reason my addon doesn't come with that information :oops:

Vyragosa was killed just under 3 hours ago :mrgreen:
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The NPC id for the TLPD is 32491.
Ade
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU