Crimson Deathcharger Frustration

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Crimson Deathcharger Frustration

Unread post by Acherontia »

Warning: useless venting-post with no point :lol:

So, awhile back, being bored with WoW, I gave myself a goal. I picked something pretty unobtainable; something I didn't even like all that much: a Crimson Deathcharger.

Now, my main right now (throughout Cata thus far, and hopefully into the distant future) is an orc female, and I think she looks amazing on horses. I love the Death Knight horse (Acherus Deathcharger), and the Crimson isn't far off it. I have grown to like it quite a bit more since first seeing it.

I asked around, both here & on my realm forums, to get an idea of the cost. The number I came up with for my realm was 100k--or 118k, if I wanted to get it via neutral AH considering the cut. I then spend the next month grinding. Grinding... EVERYTHING. I levelled my DK alt to 85 JUST to use the Pale Horse + Herbalism & Mining. I then used my main's Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting to use the ore mined, prospecting gems and making an epic item which barely sold, and then making Pyrium Weapon Chains & Ebonsteel Belt Buckles, and many, many, many hundreds of gems. I did all my allotted daily quests every day, and sold off a Hyacinth Macaw that I would have otherwise used. In short, WoW became a full-time job for a couple weeks.

In this time, I found a potential seller, a member of one of the main raiding guilds on my realm. He agreed to sell me the mount, saying he was doing the chain and was partway through it. I checked up with him now and then, and watched his armory, only to find that he was sometimes saving himself to lockouts with only the last 3 bosses, and on other weeks, skipping ICC entirely. 3 months later, after repeated reassurances that he was nearing the end of the chain, he abruptly changed his mind. He's supposedly intending to quit wow, and has no intention of finishing the chain.

So, that leaves me in the crappy position of having 121k gold in my wallet, and no horse in sight. I've put up another realm forum post, and have been asking in Trade chat on both factions. The replies all run like this, both in /2 and in /w:

"Where is that mount from?"
"Where can I get it?"
"Why would you spend that on a MOUNT?"
"That's just a ground mount."
"That is a 60% mount..."
"U r sick, wtf is wrong with you, 100k for a horse"
"Lol, somebody bought gold."
"I can sell it to you. I want 50k up front, and then I just need to go rob my Alliance guild's guild bank, because they have one sitting there."

It is IMMENSELY frustrating, especially the trollers who pretend to have one to sell, or pretend to be near the end of the chain, and then troll or log off. I mean, I'm EXPECTING it, with every /w, but it's still annoying as hell. The worst part is that despite my realm being a very quiet, backwater realm with a low population, I know for a fact that several people on each faction are on the chain. They must just already have plans for the damn mount :(

Anyway, if anyone has any further advice, let me know. I'd rather not undertake the chain myself (on my DK), unless it becomes absolutely necessary; it would take a couple months to get the horse that way. At this rate, it may wind up my only option, though.

TL;DR: BLARGH, PONY.
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Re: Crimson Deathcharger Frustration

Unread post by Rikaku »

I would just do it myself. Honestly, posting on the WoW forums is just asking for trouble and trolls. :(

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I agree with Rikaku. While it's possible to find some genuine people, you're probably better off doing it yourself, especially on a small-pop server.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Fafnir
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Fafnir »

Yeah, just do the quest. Unfortunately the questline requires you to pretty much clear the entire instance as a prerequisite, but once you get to the shadowfrost shard portion you can promise to roll out the rest of the goodie bag as incentive to help or something.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

There's just so few people doing the chain at all nowadays you might not have another option. I know 3 people who are on some part of the chain, from "I still need to drive abom" all the way to "I just need a few shards" but none of them are planning on finishing any time soon, if at all. So many people feel burned out on ICC that they don't want to go in even for a reward like that.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yeah, I know for a fact there's at least 3-4 on each faction currently running it. I'm guessing they already have plans for the mount, though.

I've had "helpful" people telling me "ask during the day"--I've been asking all day and night :roll:

Anyway--there's two reasons I'd prefer not to do it myself.

1. It takes ages, and the hassle of getting groups together and getting the chain done properly is a daunting prospect at best--and I want it sooner rather than later, having waited 3 months & being unsure how much longer WoW will hold my interest.

2. More importantly, I spent 3 months grinding 120k gold. It was HELL, but goddamnit I did it, and if I now turn around and have to do the entire quest chain as well, I'll feel like the last 3 months was an utter waste of time and all for nothing : / So it's sort of a moral imperative >.>

That said, if I don't find a buyer in the next week or so, I'll be focusing on getting the last few primordial saronites & some rep for the chain on my DK. I was already preparing for the eventuality just in case, but uuugh, still not looking forward to it.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

I think probably the best course of action is to work from both sides. Start preparing your DK to do the chain while continuing to post that you're interested in buying. There might be a few folks that are close to getting their Shadowmorne that are just feeling lazy... maybe one day one of those people will see one of your posts and use the promise of 100k to push them into finishing their axe. Sometimes it takes people a while to act... maybe if they see your persistence they'll eventually contact you.
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

its okay, i love you

signature thanks to Kurieno
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yeah, Peanutbuttercup, you make a good point really.

And Cerele... I'm not sure whether to be grateful or freaked out! :lol:
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Random Question Acherontia, would you consider paying for a realm transfer if you could find it on another realm? It's might be worth it and save allot of pain :(

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Acherontia wrote:Yeah, I know for a fact there's at least 3-4 on each faction currently running it. I'm guessing they already have plans for the mount, though.

I've had "helpful" people telling me "ask during the day"--I've been asking all day and night :roll:

Anyway--there's two reasons I'd prefer not to do it myself.

1. It takes ages, and the hassle of getting groups together and getting the chain done properly is a daunting prospect at best--and I want it sooner rather than later, having waited 3 months & being unsure how much longer WoW will hold my interest.

Well, what you could do is something similar to what I did in my own guild. Considering I never raided in Wrath, I missed out on a lot of achievement stuff related to them. So I decided that once a week, my guildies (who were interested) would run old instances for fun. Such as 3 manning Sartharion 3D or Kael'thas for chances at mounts. Perhaps, what you could do is maybe entice one of your guildies to do the chain with you (I know you don't want to do the chain yourself, but things are way more fun with friends :D) by perhaps setting up an "Old Raid Fun Night". Sure, you won't burn through ICC super fast, but you can definitely draw the help of people interested in obtaining old achievements and mounts by offering your help on other mount-incentive drops :3

I commend your ability to farm that much gold, especially in 3 months. But I dont think that by doing the quest yourself is it "all gone to waste". There's plenty of things you can still get with that money, including buying other rare mounts you happen to see for sale.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

No, Spiritbinder; I like my realm & my guild, and don't have a lot of free cash anyway, so a realm transfer would be rather out of the question, sadly.

I'd do the chain with guildmates, but there are simply not enough of us--it's a tightly-knit guild, but small, with rarely more than 10-15 people online (and of those, maybe five would be interested in doing ICC). What can I say, we're all PvPers :lol:

That leaves PuGs. I could probably sort it, and bar a few mishaps, get the first couple parts done fairly quickly. But, PuGs on our realm are notoriously, well, bad. People leave a LOT, or screw up quests/achievements for others. It would be long, painful & a major hassle at best. Just thinking about it is putting me right off lol. If I DO wind up having to do it this way, I'll gather as many guildies as I can and attempt it with the rest pugged. But the thought makes me shudder! :lol:
Fafnir
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Fafnir »

Well, if you ever got those 5 people together you'd be surprised how much of the content you could do. I 4-man Malygos[25] (could do it with 3 probably but safety in numbers) and 5-man OS3D[25].
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

peanutbuttercup wrote:I think probably the best course of action is to work from both sides. Start preparing your DK to do the chain while continuing to post that you're interested in buying. There might be a few folks that are close to getting their Shadowmorne that are just feeling lazy... maybe one day one of those people will see one of your posts and use the promise of 100k to push them into finishing their axe. Sometimes it takes people a while to act... maybe if they see your persistence they'll eventually contact you.
What PBC said here I think is a good idea. Plus Arch, if you get 90% of the way to getting your own Shadowmourne when you finally find a seller, perhaps you buy a mount, then you'll be super close into getting another mount for you to sell! Or you could just keep it in your bags, and go around screenshotting yourself with a Crimson in your bags while riding a Crimson. Just to be one of "those people"

:)
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Ceravan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Anvilmar (alliance), Nesingwary (horde)

Unread post by Ceravan »

May end up bursting a bubble or so here, but just this weekend, someone was sellin it in trade chat on nesingwary for 45k, whether they sold it or not is a different story. So a realm transfer, even with an alt above 80+ to handle the gold may be your best bet getting it. You would have to check the rules on how much gold someone could transfer is though.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I don't have enough money to realm transfer, as I said.

So Fafnir (or anyone), any idea what the minimum # of people is for ICC 25? It's the end-tier content; I know Maly10 can be solod by a couple of classes, so it doesn't surprise me that 25 doesn't need a lot of people.

My experience at 85 in ICC, though, is limited to HM/achievement runs, so I'm not really sure how many it'd require.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Blood DKs were soloing ICC 25, but that was pre-4.1, I'm not sure if they're still doing it. They were also probably geared to the teeth.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Yes, realm transfer would be the easiest (and I was sorely temped when folks were selling Mimiron Heads), but like you I wouldn't go that route either because my monthly fee is all the cash I'm willing to spare for the game. Plus you'd have to pay to transfer there and back, so it's double the cost.

As far as the number of people it'd take to do ICC25... my guild recently did a partial hard modes run (but people started leaving since it was getting late so we didn't make it to Sindragosa) and I think we had 12 or 13 maybe? All were geared raiders though. But if you don't do hard modes I would imagine around 5 to 10 folks could get it done, depending on class, gear, skill, etc. Maybe you could pick up a few PUGs by calling it a "Get your Kingslayer title" run? Not sure what else might attract folks... Personally I would err on the side of more people just to make it go faster.
Last edited by peanutbuttercup on Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

peanutbuttercup wrote:...I think we had 12 or 13 maybe? All were geared raiders though. But if you don't do hard modes I would imagine around 5 to 10 folks could get it done, depending on class, gear, skill, etc. Maybe you could pick up a few PUGs by calling it a "Get your Kingslayer title" run? Not sure what else might attract folks... Personally I would err on the side of more people just to make it go faster.
Thanks for the info :)

I'm absolutely losing my mind trying to talk to the people on my realm about buying this mount.

I made a collage at the advice of my guildmate, as therapy and to demonstrate the sheer idiocy of some people. These were all direct replies to my advertisement in trade chat, and represent players from both factions. I don't resent people whispering to ask where it's from, or how I got the gold--they're friendly enough--but added onto all the other comments it's just like, a sea of WTF.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2cfyvs8.png

Edit--in any case, collected the rest of the Primordials now, and shall see about getting an ICC run tomorrow, at least to get my DK's rep up enough to take the quest.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Yeah, gotta love the trolls :( I like the collage therapy idea though!

Also maybe you should omit the amount you're offering from your ad? Just say "paying well" or "send tell for more info." I don't like listing prices because people will instantly troll you that it's too much, too little, etc. And you're risking that someone might try to "outbid" you by offering more.

Well, best of luck with your DK's runs. I'm optimistic that people will eventually get back to completing their Shadowmornes once they've settled down with current content and aren't feeling so burned out from ICC, and maybe you'll be able to snag a mount from one of those folks :)