any hunters solo Ony10 ?

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Gilneas-US

any hunters solo Ony10 ?

Unread post by Nightsights »

tried last night, p1 was easy, p2 too many whelps.

edit: soloing for the onyxian drake mount
Last edited by Nightsights on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Re: any hunters solo Ony10 ?

Unread post by Acherontia »

How much HP have the whelps got? Could try it with a Worm pet.

Edit--gave it a shot, and it looks like the old AoE cap has now been applied to worms >.> It won't work with a worm alone I don't think.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

In regards to "too many whelps", what was their damage like? Would a Non BM tenacity be able to tank them you think? Coming from a SV perspective with rather nice aoe I have found in some situations, if my pet can stay up with a mend pet, chaining MD with explosive trap and Multi, you can pretty much keep everything on your pet and get things down a lot easier than BM.

I have also noticed the Aoe cap for us is defiantly still in place for us and pets, but are there simply too many whelps to be tanked (damage in take wise) and the hunter slowly get them done due to the cap?

I'm always curious to these crazy feats of strength us crazy hunters try (and do!) manage to accomplish ;)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

My pet died very fast, but give it a shot. If you have a turtle/beetle, MD and use the 90% mitigation cooldowns--I think the whelps had 60k hp apiece, so if you could down them fast...

Well, I guess you'd probably have the duration of the pet's shell shield + cower to get the whelps down, is my estimate. I wouldn't have had trouble if the pet was capable of tanking--could have slowly worn them down--but it just fell over dead for me :(
Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

i still had my wol running since i did it after raid. http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-yu2hoz7h30citaah/

shows the whelps did a total of 190k dmg to me(88k) and my turtle(102), i md, multi shot, mend pet, not sure if i used cower or shell, but he died quick and i just fd to reset.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

think a hunter and a healer could do it then?
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
ummeiko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Illidan / Cho'gall / Blackhand

Unread post by ummeiko »

From a healer point of view... I haven't tried it so this is some speculation.

The key is keeping the whelps off the healer. I for one wouldn't risk healing until I was certain there was sufficient MD/multi-aggro in place - Even with Fade, I AM a squishy priest and fade only lasts a few precious seconds - plus if there is no other aggro - such as if one group didn't get picked up - fade wouldn't do anything anyhoo. The healer could probably tank some, but not all of them, and any that he or she is tanking is going to add some spell pushback, which will affect the rate of incoming heals to your pet.

Additionally, it would require spamming some fast and/or large, but otherwise massively inefficient heals for the duration that most of the whelps are on the pet. Looking at the logs, a healer could easy spam the efficient heals for Ony's normal damage in phase 1 - she hit slowly, and breaths get some pretty good resistence. But it would mean the healer wouldn't be able to last too long, and would probably be out of the fight for some time after the brunt of the healing has passed... that means you're pretty much on your own for most of the melee adds, plus it puts pressure on you, the hunter, to bring ony down before a second set of whelps.

Healer cooldowns may help, however, I haven't extensively tested what cooldown buffs can actually be cast on pets anymore, since they restricted a lot of buffing. Power Word Barrier would help I presume, pain suppression might be nice if it's possible to cast on the pet... you could go Shellshield -> Pain Suppression -> Cower chain or something like that. GS might actually be the best of all of them, provided it's possible to cast it. I don't know. I should probably find out.

At the end of the day, is it possible?

I want to believe it is. I've duo'd a number of things as a healer. It's tough to say, looking at those logs, because I can't get any detailed time info for Onyxian Whelp... it's like, phase 2 is totally gone from the logs or something. 102k damage itself isn't alot, really... it all depends on how quickly... are you talking death in 5 seconds? Or death in 20? 5 would be pretty hard... 20 would probably be enough that the healer could keep your pet up long enough for you to take down most of the whelps... but again, it's somewhat speculation here.

Nightsights
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

its about 8-10 whelps on each side, my turtle picked up one side, and i md'ed the other side. he died in about 2-3 sec.
ummeiko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Illidan / Cho'gall / Blackhand

Unread post by ummeiko »

Hmmm... At this point, it might be a little rough, but I wouldn't quite rule it as impossible without seeing it.

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

Looks like this may be a project to try again once gear has moved on at least a tier or two, or maybe even an expansion :| .

But if there's a will, I'm sure someone will find a way :)

­
­
­
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Why solo? I remember an old vid of 40 priests taking down Ony, and it was a couple Spriests tanking. Why not 8 hunters and a couple of healers? If there's atleast 6 tank pets, or better yet 8 in total, it should be easier right?

Could always try on the PTR to boot too, since that always has the best gear available usually for premades.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Since this is in the Mount section, I'm guessing the original poster was intent on farming the Onyxian drake perhaps?
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Vephriel wrote:Since this is in the Mount section, I'm guessing the original poster was intent on farming the Onyxian drake perhaps?
Ah well....

I'd still suggest the PTR then and to see how many people you can start cutting out to be able to farm Ony 10. I'd probably guess 6 would be as low as you could cut it with the current gear level; a tank, an OT [pref a plate wearer but a bear could work] 3 DPS and a healer.

So yeah use the PTR to see how many people you can cut down so you can start farming the mount.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master

I guess your could use the PTR to see the minimum amount of people you could successfully do it with, but then if the mount dropped, you really would juts curl into a little ball and die. You could always just try on live if this is the method one wishes to try.

I was also reminded of this one from Dark Legacy too :lol:

But yeah, as Veph said, I think this is mainly aimed at farming Ony, and solo farming at that...

­
­
­
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

i dont get that comic.. WHY does he cry??? :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Tårnfalk wrote:i dont get that comic.. WHY does he cry??? :D

Because he got the rare 2% drop mount he wanted on the PTR and not on live. "See what I mean? Test realm is full of crazies." :mrgreen:

Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Spiritbinder wrote:I guess your could use the PTR to see the minimum amount of people you could successfully do it with, but then if the mount dropped, you really would juts curl into a little ball and die. You could always just try on live if this is the method one wishes to try.

I was also reminded of this one from Dark Legacy too :lol:

But yeah, as Veph said, I think this is mainly aimed at farming Ony, and solo farming at that...
Well then I think Op is tough out of luck if A: he doesn't want to use PTR to find out how many people you can slim down from it with the BEST gear available, and B: it's not happening. We're talking about a lv 80 ten man raid- not a lv 70 ten man, even if as said the pet survives fighting Ony herself, the whelps are going to own you. You're not going to have the DPS needed to burn the whelps down quick enough before the damage overwhelms even a Beetle/Turtle.

So yeah... soloing ain't happening imo.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I think soloing is not only possible but it's not long until someone manages. I imagine it will be a matter of more tier gear, and the two t5 bonus.

I also think the hunter will have to NOT be BM. If you have the two-piece t5 and are using Survival's Serpent Spread and Expl Traps, your pet's getting healed for what, 21% of that dmg with Blood of the Rhino. I think it's very doable, but I'm BM and intend to remain so.
amrasillias
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Eonar EU

Unread post by amrasillias »

Acherontia wrote:I think soloing is not only possible but it's not long until someone manages. I imagine it will be a matter of more tier gear, and the two t5 bonus.
Well i guess you are wrong. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPO2pjCktxQ

We have a thread called Extreme Soloing on this forum, you should check it ;)
http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7805
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

"This video is not available in your country." Some tard used copyrighted music : /

Want to tell me what it is lol? If someone's already done it cool; if not, I stand by what I said.

P.S. --if you have something in that thread that's useful for here, can you not just paste it here? I rarely follow all threads on a forum while trying to talk in just one lol.