TLPD Insanity (Gotcha!!)

A companion forum for Warcraft Mounts. Or just talk about WoW mounts.
Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

TLPD Insanity (Gotcha!!)

Unread post by Acherontia »

Thread Updated Far Below :D

I've been camping the TLPD for the last week.

By "camping," I mean sitting over the frozen lake at Bor's Breath with my NPC-Scan/Overlay running, WITHOUT moving, every waking minute of the day. By "camping," I mean avoiding sleep in order to be up at ridiculous morning hours when I have a better chance to be alone. I've been SEARCHING for months, but truly camping for this last week.

Even on a fairly empty realm (Nagrand EU), there are people coming and going, and I've gotten to know a few of the other campers. I've gotten two guildmates their Skolls--one of them had wanted one for ages, both were very happy to get him. I've killed four Vyragosas and seen two more killed while watching their exact flight patterns. I've then waited patiently for the half hour for her corpse to despawn before dutifully relogging to delete my cache. I've also been keeping a log of the sightings. I've learned that being stubborn and refusing to relinquish my camp spot to others--sharing it instead--is the only way to stop myself from being forced to move every couple of minutes. I've learned that I have it in me to heartlessly kill someone who turns up PvP-flagged and refuses to move. I've been using the Eagle Eye chain macro to quickly check through all of Storm Peaks for my spawns.

I've named some of the trees here; the snow-covered pines at the north of the lake have a nice family with well-behaved kids. And whenever I tell anyone that, they leave me alone quickish ;) I've spent hours and hours sifting through TLPD forums--the Resource site and Ponderance's forums, the Wowhead pages, WoWiki/WoWpedia info, Petopia forums, EU Hunter forums and more. I've spent hours and hours playing a mirrored Robot Unicorn Attack and the heavy metal version, both addictive but loud enough to possibly obscure NPC-Scan's drums, and thus I keep them windowed above where my alert would flash.

I've also learned which of my fellow campers are friendly sorts, and which are jerks--there's a lot more nice than mean. I've had random people whisper me telling me they've seen me sitting there, that I must really deserve this mount and that they wish me luck/have their fingers crossed for me.

I've also had that horrible moment. I waited 20 hours awake, maybe 24, before finally crashing and going to bed one night--and some randomer casually told me they'd seen the TLPD corpse over the Engine of the Makers not a half hour after I'd gone to bed. I physically felt ill.

I've gotten to the point where I'm keeping out specific pets, specific mini-pets or using specific mounts in the hope that one is a good-luck charm. I'm sloooowly starting to lose it out here... So cold-looking, pale and dismal. It's depressing but I'm stubborn, and either I'll go nuts or find this damn drake!

The worst part? ...I don't even really like it. I'm a mount collector and I couldn't find a "correct" camel statue in Uldum--got three duds--and figured I'd try this. And now it's a moral imperative. I'd sworn after Gondria (who I named Nightmare and later abandoned because of the bad camp memories) that I'd never do this again, yet here I am.

Wish me luck, because apparently those bastard Old Gods are sinking their dirty claws into my mind while I sit here, and I'd rather not stay too much longer...

Vyragosas Seen: 9
Last edited by Acherontia on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: TLPD Insanity

Unread post by Kalliope »

Ugh, only madness lies this way.

Many hugs and much luck to you!

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Thanks much :D
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Oh no. We've lost another one to the TLPDMadness. I wish he'll spawn soon so you get to keep the last shreds of your sanity! *shakes head sadly*

;) Good luck!!

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Tudyk
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thunderlord (A) Uther (H)

Unread post by Tudyk »

I started to feel really bad for those poor baby eagles. Also, see if one of your friends has an entire run of some show on DVD and ask to borrow it. That helped me a lot. =D

Thanks to Pengupuff for the sig!

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Take it with a grain of salt when someone tells you, "I just saw the corpse xx time ago." Some of them might be honest, but others may be trying to get you to log off. I was told that on more than one occassion and simply thanked the person for the info and kept camping.. good thing I did because the day I got him, someone had told me they'd seen the body only an hour or two prior!
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Thanks for the kind words & advice, guys :) I'll keep you updated!

Also, regarding respawn times, the funny thing is, post-Shattering the spawn times are completely wonky. Some people are reporting seeing Vyra then Time-Lost within an hour, one within fifteen minutes of one another. Some are saying that they've seen Vyra an hour after they killed her. So whether these random informers that whisper me are lying or telling the truth, I'm not moving until I find this bad boy :D
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I'll be updating the Vyragosa count too. Just now I followed her on the hugely long path (it's 6:20 am here, and Storm Peaks is empty--oh TLPD, why couldn't it be you?!--or why can't I ride Vyragosa >.>). I'm aiming to see how long she wanders about before she despawns if at all, assuming someone doesn't eventually gank her; we're on her second full loop now.

She's done the massive rounds from Valkyrion down the frozen river east, up over the Engine of the Makers, across the Terrace of the Makers, east to the edge of Ulduar, across the ravine, back across at the western edge of it, around past Bouldercrag's Refuge, over the Snowdrift Plains back into Valkyrion and repeated. She's been up for 24 minutes now and we're approaching those 2 completed loops.

She doesn't seem to deviate--once her path is set, she doesn't randomly swap onto another.

Watching this stuff and noting it all down won't help me in the slightest, but it makes me feel a little better >.>
Victorelle
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg (US)

Unread post by Victorelle »

dont get sick! and good luck!
MaximumOverdrive
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by MaximumOverdrive »

Good luck...I camped the fragger for a year...2 people who started camping the same spot as me kept getting him in less than a week...I got too upset to continue camping...hopefully you're by yourself so no one bugs you.
Samskeyti
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel EU

Unread post by Samskeyti »

Oh the longer you wait for it, the less likely are you to give up.
I've posted about my search for the drake, I do absolutely love him to bits, but I found the camp incredibly stressful, whenever someone else turned up I couldn't relax, and I still think that I was lucky that I got him in the end. I have also been going through those forums, hoping to find scraps of information that would help me. i actually (I was hunting him on my druid) had my huntress parked in the Storm Peaks too since she is a skinner, so that I could skin Vyragosa as soon as I killed her or she got killed.

I actually sat on a snowy rock which was right next to/underneath one of TLPD's spawn points.
Chaining Eagle Eye is the best macro ever! I'm sure it helps you feel a bit more at ease being able to check everywhere without having to leave your spot.

I can't say more, I did believe in the 6hr spawn window, so after a Vyra kill I had a break. This was end of December, so I don't think spawn timers are that messed up. Or maybe, it's easier to believe they aren't less to worry about.

I wish you the best of luck for finding him, so that you can leave the spot forever. I currently have an obsession with green Madexx, I must have rehomed 6 and saw one getting killed. Spawn after spawn it's a red one currently. I have never seen blue or green. But I just can't give up and be happy with the one I have.

*hugs*
Good luck, we'll be crossing our fingers for you!
Mustafah
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU

Unread post by Mustafah »

Good Luck , I used to camp him on watches, though moved realm and atm my character is pretty low =/

Remember: Never give up, you'll eventually find him. And go sometimes for laps around the area, when youre bored. You might find him where you dont except him to be seen.

Good luck once again!

Lots of thanks for TygerDarkstorm for the awesome sig!! =D

Mustafah wrote:Playable Pandaren with racial camel mount!!!
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Thanks so much guys :)

I finally did get him today; I pulled another 20+ hour stint. This time, the only reason I didn't go to sleep (despite utter dizzy exhaustion) was simply because I haven't seen a Vyra spawn in 12+ hours. The only other time she's taken that long between spawns during my (post-Shattering) camp, I'd heard later that a TLPD had been the next spawn.

So, for any future theory crafters, my camp info--and a screenshot, of course :D I'll post a quick story of my fail-kill just afterward.

Vyragosa Sightings:

13:44 (Bor's Breath)
23:03 (Terrace)

17:55 (24th, Valkyrion)
~3:30 am (Bor's Breath)
3:15 pm (Ulduar) (killed at 3:17)

~10:30 pm: unverified TLPD kill (27th)

22:55 (28th), Bor's Breath spawned

19:20/19:30 or so, (29th) Bor's Breath flying from frozen river

5:52 am (30th): Valkyrion-> Bor's Breath
18:18 pm: Sifreldar Village

9:02 am (31st): TLPD!!! Valkyrion-> Bor's Breath
The story--I'm SOOO glad it was this time of the morning, because had anyone else been there, I'd have failed so badly at tagging him. I'd landed on a high cliff to Eagle Eye about to the other spawnpoints. When I cancelled Eagle Eye, NPC Scan boomed. I clicked expecting another Vyragosa, and imagine my amazement at Time-Lost Proto Drake staring at me and slowly moving toward me from over Valkyrion!

I WAS SO EXCITED that I forgot I wasn't mounted... minor detail... I leapt toward him happily and fell to my death. Luckily I've done that a lot the last few days, accidentally pressing keybinds etc, so I know EXACTLY where the GY is in relation to Bor's Breath--CLOSE. I flew back, ressed, chased him, got stuck on a tree, tried again, and managed the tag! It took me probably 20-30 seconds of sheer idiocy :lol:
Attachments
TLPD.png
TLPD.png (570.44 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
Last edited by Acherontia on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Grats!! :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Samskeyti
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel EU

Re: TLPD Insanity (Gotcha!!)

Unread post by Samskeyti »

Well done!!! I'm happy for you :-) I was dreading the whole tagging thing, this must have been a frantic nightmare :-) And yes, that long spawn pause was true for me too.
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

Grats! Well deserved! :D
Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Grats, Acherontia!!! All that exhaustion finally paid off! He's just gorgeous, isn't he?
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Congrats! Sittin' pretty there!!! :D

Could you post a picture that's more close-up? I'd love to see how you look on him. :)

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Thanks so much guys :D I went around and mailed the two Horde and one Alliance char I've seen consistently camping to let them know the spawn timers, hoping it'll help.

Here's the closer-up images, Sarayana, ask and you shall receive (from Photobucket!) :D

As a female orc I sit tilted slightly forwards when he's at rest and when he's in motion, and a great deal backwards when he's idling midair.

I actually didn't think I liked this guy, you know. He seemed quite lackluster, and I only camped him for so long as a mount collector and a very stubborn person. BUT, after grabbing him--perhaps due to the effort put into finding him--I've got a new appreciation for his looks ;D What looked like bland yellow is actually a really rich, shining gold; screenshots really don't do it justice. I had to sit still and actually zoom in to see this. The colors in his mouth are quite nice too; they're a sort of BLAZING MENTHOL color :lol: And in some lightings the webbing on the jaws is a darker blue that really sets off the mouth.

Anyway, thanks again guys :) I'm NEVER going to Storm Peaks again!! :lol:
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

WOW you died even too??? I bet that would have been nervewrecking! Congrats though!

I wasn't crazy about the model, but after working so long on getting him (i think i killed/sighted Vyra about 11 times) I enjoy him more, you know the "you appreciate what you work hard for the most" type of thing. He's still my flying preference even a month in a half later (normally I would switch flying mounts every day or so).

Do you have any screenshots of the spotting or the mid-kill? I always like the ingame screenies too to give me a better feel of what you were looking at as you lept to your death then proceeded to fly into the tree that you probably named, something like "Stan" or "Steve"
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~