The Foxes!!

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Saturo

Re: The Foxes!!

Unread post by Saturo »

Well, dogs and wolves are similar enough to share a family. Both are, essentially, Canis Lupus, even tough one is fuzzier and named Canis Familiaris. Foxes aren't wolves or dogs. Neither are hyenas. Hyenas and foxes deserve their separate families.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Shadowkaizen
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Shadowkaizen »

I have been gone for a few months. I joined the guild over there and then something happend irl with a friend and I had to fly out to deal with it....however...back on topic

The more info I see the more happier I get with these new pets. I have a fairly powerful computer so I am hopeing they will invite meh! o.o!!
The shadows are my ally...and so is that large wolf behind you.
Mania
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by Mania »

I'm hoping they rename Wolfs to Canids. Or Canoids. Or even Canines, I suppose, although I think that's less accurate.

None of those would encompass hyenas, though.
azurelith
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormrage(alliance)/ Bronzebeard(horde)

Unread post by azurelith »

The mastiff seems to have a new vocalization. You can hear it around 2:20, when he starts to tame a mastiff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17TS-I2eVSw

Just noticed something in the second part of that video. After his pet bar stops working, he dismisses his tan mastiff. When he re-summons it, it changes to a black color. Could it be a color changer or just a bug? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7cjfj0KXJc

Also found this video of a person attacking one of the foxes. Solves my question about what they sound like. Its a little short and fast though. Doesn't really sound like a fox to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnFGV0mWap8

Kaylai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wildhammer -US

Unread post by Kaylai »

In the video with the fox there appears to be a ghostwolf standing in the background at the end.
*hopes it's tameable*
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

azurelith wrote:Just noticed something in the second part of that video. After his pet bar stops working, he dismisses his tan mastiff. When he re-summons it, it changes to a black color. Could it be a color changer or just a bug? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7cjfj0KXJc
According to the spreadsheet Mania posted, one of the mastiffs IS a color changer: the Mountain Mastiff.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

that fox sounded rabid o_o

oh and yes there was a ghost wolf there =0
However i highly doubt it will be tameable. if it is....GHOST WOLF TO ALL MY HUNTERS! and ever god damned other hunter on the realm <-<
My poor Lycan that was so hard to tame would be so less unique XD
oh well. Maybe he finaly would get a howl.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

Anyone else went "aaaw. Poor Ony" at seeing undead Ony? Anyone else wish that the raven was tamable? And the snails! Snails! Spirals! *shudders.*
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Akyo »

Also noticed on his char select screen he is shown with a pet, now my question is; is the screen bugged and does not update with a current pet/missing pet or did it vanish for some reason when he logged on (would be a bug for sure).

Also i agree with Mania that the wolf familiy with the new aditions needs to be renamed. Canines would be fine.
Even though many of us dont really see a fox as a snarling howling animal, Foxes are indeed a part of the dog family(Canidae) and thus giving it a familiy of its own might be nitpicking. It would be like seperating the owls from the eagles and hawks in the Bird of prey family just cause..an owl is an owl and not an eagle.
Also i know from a documentary that if you keep breeding the friendlier foxes they will eventually start barking, get floppy ears and dog like markings. http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dogs-the ... ecies.html

and yes Azunara, i went "Aww >:" at seeing undead ony. i dont like it. Also yes. i want that raven. cause ravens are awsome.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm personally hoping the raven might turn out to be a minipet. *crosses fingers*
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Akyo »

Vephriel wrote:I'm personally hoping the raven might turn out to be a minipet. *crosses fingers*
oh i wouldnt mind that either. Just it would be sweet with a real Raven pet next to you :)

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Agreed on the raven and the needed renaming of the wolf family. I tend to think of the wolves as dogs anyway, though foxes DEFINITELY throw that perception off, at least in my mind, even if they are in the main family.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Anyone else notice the 5 pet ability slots on the pet bar? That'll make things more managable!

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Kaylai wrote:In the video with the fox there appears to be a ghostwolf standing in the background at the end.
*hopes it's tameable*

The Ghost Wolf in that Fox video is a quest NPC. You complete a quest talking to it, and it gives you a new quest. It doesn't even wander around. I doubt it is tameable... especially since the area it is in is an instance (not dungeon... think DK starting area).
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
rubybeam

Unread post by rubybeam »

Saturo wrote:We NEED these as pets!
http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/ima ... essone.jpg
those pets FTW! because giant floaty things rock the house
Awesome signature by the awesome pengupuff!
Kaylai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Kaylai »

pentupanger wrote:

The Ghost Wolf in that Fox video is a quest NPC. You complete a quest talking to it, and it gives you a new quest. It doesn't even wander around. I doubt it is tameable... especially since the area it is in is an instance (not dungeon... think DK starting area).
:/
Oh well. I still hope Blizzard gives us a ghost wolf to tame.
I'm in love with the model.
Darkharvest
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Runetotem, Nesingwary

Unread post by Darkharvest »

Wants Dark Phoenix mount! and pets are cool too.
"Don't take life to seriously, you'll never get out alive."

"He's a Theodore Roosevelt, speak softly and carry a loud obnoxious wasp." BRK
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Saturo wrote:Well, dogs and wolves are similar enough to share a family. Both are, essentially, Canis Lupus, even tough one is fuzzier and named Canis Familiaris. Foxes aren't wolves or dogs. Neither are hyenas. Hyenas and foxes deserve their separate families.
Actually;
Fox is a common name for many species of carnivorous mammals belonging to the Canidae family. Foxes are small to medium-sized canids (slightly smaller than the median-sized domestic dog), characterized by possessing a long narrow snout, and a bushy tail (or brush).

Members of about 37 species are referred to as foxes, of which only 12 species actually belong to the Vulpes genus of 'true foxes'. By far the most common and widespread species of fox is the red fox (Vulpes vulpes), although various species are found on almost every continent. The presence of fox-like carnivores all over the globe has led to their appearance in both popular culture and folklore in many cultures around the world (see also Foxes in culture). The gray fox is one of only two canine species known to climb trees; the other is the raccoon dog.
But you are right Hyena's are not related to wolves;
Although hyenas bear some physical resemblance to canids, they make up a separate biological family that is most closely related to Herpestidae (the family of mongooses and meerkats), thereby falling within the Feliformia. All species have a distinctly bear-like gait, due to their front legs being longer than their back legs. The Aardwolf, Striped Hyena, and Brown Hyena have striped pelts and manes lining the top of their necks which erect when frightened. The Spotted Hyena's fur is considerably shorter and spotted rather than striped.
Kaylai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Kaylai »

Hooray for Wikipedia!!
azurelith
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Stormrage(alliance)/ Bronzebeard(horde)

Unread post by azurelith »

Here is a very nice video of the foxes in-game. Unfortunately, none of them were tamed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KNG462Kgeg