Breaking Araga... *Araga loves beware*

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Re: Breaking Araga... *Araga loves beware*

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

I just hope that Araga herself will be just fine. If she were to be extinct from Alterac, that would be heartbreaking, seeing as she's been around for a long time.
Senna-Umbreon
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Eonar, Nesingwary, Windrunner and the Venture Co.

Unread post by Senna-Umbreon »

Slickrock wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Thats a hell of a lot greedy saying youd rather have the skin go away than let other new hunters tame a skin they might like just cos you don't want people who may not have the time to camp for ages get it.
Really?.. really?

So you would rather have your stable full of rares made common so everyone can tame them? It doesn't diminish the effort you spent trying to tame them back in the day?
If I had an attachment to those pets, then HELL YES I would! I don't give a rat's ass if a pet is unique or not! What matters is that I'm attached to it!! Sure, I love my Loque and Ghost Hydra for their rareness and uniqueness, but that's not why I keep them. I'd NEVER release either of them, but I'd be damned if the only reason was that they're rare/untameable. The reason why I don't release them is that I LOVE them.

So yes, I would be totally fine with having a stable full of rares made common, cause you know what? The rareness is NOT why I keep them. It's my attachment to them.
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Ryai wrote:
It just doesn't strike me as a brilliant decision. I'm sorry. After the hell I went through to get Araga, this is just stupid on Blizzard's part.
And? This doesn't take it away. You know you tamed Araga.

If having beasts so damn common takes their 'specialness' away from your tames, either you're not really focused right or you really didn't care about the tame at all and just want a shiny pet all to yourself.
I disagree. It does diminish the effort put in.

Now perhaps it can be taken too far to think of a pet as that sort of a status symbol, but, I also respect the effort put in.

The extreme example would be the Grim-Totem wolf. If that wolf popped up all over Feralas tomorrow, it would diminish the effort that was put into taming him in the past, even if a lot of us would still like to go get him.
Account has been closed at user's request.
Slickrock

Senna-Umbreon wrote:
Slickrock wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:Thats a hell of a lot greedy saying youd rather have the skin go away than let other new hunters tame a skin they might like just cos you don't want people who may not have the time to camp for ages get it.
Really?.. really?

So you would rather have your stable full of rares made common so everyone can tame them? It doesn't diminish the effort you spent trying to tame them back in the day?
If I had an attachment to those pets, then HELL YES I would! I don't give a rat's ass if a pet is unique or not! What matters is that I'm attached to it!! Sure, I love my Loque and Ghost Hydra for their rareness and uniqueness, but that's not why I keep them. I'd NEVER release either of them, but I'd be damned if the only reason was that they're rare/untameable. The reason why I don't release them is that I LOVE them.

So yes, I would be totally fine with having a stable full of rares made common, cause you know what? The rareness is NOT why I keep them. It's my attachment to them.
Well, that is interesting.. and I respect your point of view on this.

Since I'm becoming a firebrand around here lately, let's look at my stable for an example.

First, I have 2 Trexes. Krush and the Blue-black. If Krush were to go "common" tomorrow, I'd probably drop him, and keep the blue-black. I keep Krush because of the effort and work required for that tame, and then fact the skin is unique.

Then I have 3 spirit beasts, Loq' (whom I truly do enjoy), Arcturis (whom I haven't let out in a long while), and Skoll, since I keep crossing paths with him. If all those Spirit beasts were to become common tomorrow, the only one that would stay would likely be Loq.

And let's be honest here, part of the attraction to pets has always been the rarity of the skin. It's why I ran to the BE starting zone to tame a red lynx at lvl 23 (Allthough that is one of the skins in the game that I truly love. But it was even more special back then because it was so rare for Alliance. But I will go back and tame one again with the expanded stables, and if cats are viable again, I'll likely raid with it too.)

So if you are truly attached to your pets, regardless of the skin and it's rarity, that's awesome. But I also respect the effort that is put into taming rares. It's a nice side-game in the larger wow game.
Kastarakovski
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Saurfang, Icecrown, Ysera, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kastarakovski »

Ryai wrote:I'm sorry but it feels like you're being to narrow minded and selfish
Excuse me?
Because I care about having unique pets that I ADORE and put the EFFORT into taming means I should let people take all that away? I don't treat my pets as trophies, those of you who think that I do are the narrow-minded, selfish jackasses who don't pay a lick of attention.

Yes, I know I tamed their original forms. But how am I to prove it to a newbie hunter who thinks all I have is the non-rare version?
I'm tired of explaining myself, personally, to every tom, dick and joe who thinks it's funny to incite me by saying my hard work is replaced by a painless tame.

I'm done arguing. If that's your opinion of me, Ryai, fuck you too.
And that's me being honest.
Last edited by Kastarakovski on Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Senna-Umbreon

Slickrock wrote:
Senna-Umbreon wrote: If I had an attachment to those pets, then HELL YES I would! I don't give a rat's ass if a pet is unique or not! What matters is that I'm attached to it!! Sure, I love my Loque and Ghost Hydra for their rareness and uniqueness, but that's not why I keep them. I'd NEVER release either of them, but I'd be damned if the only reason was that they're rare/untameable. The reason why I don't release them is that I LOVE them.

Well, that is interesting.. and I respect your point of view on this.

Since I'm becoming a firebrand around here lately, let's look at my stable for an example.

First, I have 2 Trexes. Krush and the Blue-black. If Krush were to go "common" tomorrow, I'd probably drop him, and keep the blue-black. I keep Krush because of the effort and work required for that tame, and then fact the skin is unique.

Then I have 3 spirit beasts, Loq' (whom I truly do enjoy), Arcturis (whom I haven't let out in a long while), and Skoll, since I keep crossing paths with him. If all those Spirit beasts were to become common tomorrow, the only one that would stay would likely be Loq.

And let's be honest here, part of the attraction to pets has always been the rarity of the skin. It's why I ran to the BE starting zone to tame a red lynx at lvl 23 (Allthough that is one of the skins in the game that I truly love. But it was even more special back then because it was so rare for Alliance. But I will go back and tame one again with the expanded stables, and if cats are viable again, I'll likely raid with it too.)

So if you are truly attached to your pets, regardless of the skin and it's rarity, that's awesome. But I also respect the effort that is put into taming rares. It's a nice side-game in the larger wow game.
You are seriously contradicting yourself on this, you say that you value the effort that it took to tame a pet, yet you'd still release Krush if his skin was common? Green Devilsaurs being common wouldn't get rid of the fact that you put in a large amount of effort to tame him.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

That Kastarakovski still does not make makeing the skin go away so you can keep its uniqueness a good idea. I know how much it means to people to tame the skins they like but takeing that feeling away from others who may want to tame it is not very nice to them now is it?
mpd_84
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by mpd_84 »

as someone who actually has the grimtotem spirit guide,i wish they would add it back in as a tameable common mob.because then my FRIENDS (and my alts) could get one.
i dont feel that it would diminish the hell i went thought to get my wolf in the slightest,because i know what i went though.
and frankly im tired of dieing a little inside every time i have to tell some new player that my wolfs skin is no longer tameable because they keep teasing us with it...
Slickrock

Senna-Umbreon wrote:You are seriously contradicting yourself on this, you say that you value the effort that it took to tame a pet, yet you'd still release Krush if his skin was common? Green Devilsaurs being common wouldn't get rid of the fact that you put in a large amount of effort to tame him.
No, not really. He was a hard tame and camp. Other hunters recognize him, and know I put in the effort to tame him. If they popped up all-over, part of that would be lost. Yes, I would know that I tamed him the "hard" way, but once that challenge was done, there's not much point in keeping him if that rarity has no value (especially when limited to 5 stable slots). And frankly, I like the blue-black skin better. (And I prefer the red lynx skin to any of the "rare" cats).

Is it trophy-hunting? perhaps. Is that wrong? not really.

Maybe they need to make taming rares an achievement. That might solve part of the issue.
Slickrock

cowmuflage wrote:That Kastarakovski still does not make makeing the skin go away so you can keep its uniqueness a good idea. I know how much it means to people to tame the skins they like but takeing that feeling away from others who may want to tame it is not very nice to them now is it?
So it's better to diminish the work that other people put in so everyone else is happy, because if we don't "share" we aren't nice?

That's beginning to sound like youth sports these days... "Yeah! EVERYONE gets a trophy!!!"
Slickrock

And the more I think about it, making taming rares an achievement might solve a lot of it. Give a "Beast Tamer" title to those who tame everything on the list...
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

that would be a silly achievement really. No its not better to diminish the work of others but saying its better to make it go away than let others get a chance to tame him is not nice
Senna-Umbreon

Slickrock wrote:
cowmuflage wrote:That Kastarakovski still does not make makeing the skin go away so you can keep its uniqueness a good idea. I know how much it means to people to tame the skins they like but takeing that feeling away from others who may want to tame it is not very nice to them now is it?
So it's better to diminish the work that other people put in so everyone else is happy, because if we don't "share" we aren't nice?

That's beginning to sound like youth sports these days... "Yeah! EVERYONE gets a trophy!!!"
Making a certain skin rare doesn't diminish the work that people put into getting a pet. Take what I was saying earlier about you contradicting yourself over Krush as an example; green Devilsaur being common would deffinitely make the skin easier to get, but that doesn't get rid of the fact that you got a green Devilsaur the hard way! In fact, I think that makes it even better! Cause you would be able to say you got King Krush and didn't get one of the easier to tame ones! I'd said that's a much better "badge of honour" than it just being a rare spawn that everyone is after and such.
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Kastarakovski wrote:Yes, I know I tamed their original forms. But how am I to prove it to a newbie hunter who thinks all I have is the non-rare version?
Who cares what newbies think. I'm seeing newbies think caster gear is important for hunter DPS. Besides even I can't prove that I tamed King Mosh as I didn't even grab screenies. And only Ariamodasu was online at the time and I was all HURGLE MOSH I MUST MAKE THIS TAME HAPPEN at her via MSN when I saw him down that shaman.
I'm done arguing. If that's your opinion of me, Ryai, fuck you too.
And that's me being honest.

Oh. Well. Gee.

Thanks.

I'm going to have to politely decline and give you congrats for what I'm about to do :|
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Unless we want this thread locked, I think we all need to calm down. We are all entitled to our opinions and can discuss them without resorting to insults.
Slickrock

cowmuflage wrote:that would be a silly achievement really. No its not better to diminish the work of others but saying its better to make it go away than let others get a chance to tame him is not nice
Sillier that Frostbitten or Bloody Rare?.. :-) or any of the truly silly holiday achievements?
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

yes cos its HUNTER only thats what makes it silly. makeing class only ones are silly cos its not fair to others
Nevar
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Nevar »

Teigan wrote:Unless we want this thread locked, I think we all need to calm down. We are all entitled to our opinions and can discuss them without resorting to insults.
^ this

Foxy and Wiley! <3

Siggy credit to Erwil! and Avatar credit to Erwil as well!!

Slickrock

Senna-Umbreon wrote:Making a certain skin rare doesn't diminish the work that people put into getting a pet. Take what I was saying earlier about you contradicting yourself over Krush as an example; green Devilsaur being common would deffinitely make the skin easier to get, but that doesn't get rid of the fact that you got a green Devilsaur the hard way! In fact, I think that makes it even better! Cause you would be able to say you got King Krush and didn't get one of the easier to tame ones! I'd said that's a much better "badge of honour" than it just being a rare spawn that everyone is after and such.
I realize what you are saying, but personally, I feel like it would be diminished if they were readily obtainable. You might know that you did the hard tame, but what's the point of keeping it after that, unless you truly like that skin?

Ironically, this is sounding like the hard-core raider vs casual argument that I've seen elsewhere.
Teigan
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I don't see the point of taming anything, whether is challenging, easy, common, or rare, unless you genuinely like it and are thinking of keeping it long term. I have been guilty of catch and release on multiple occasions, but that happens when a pet doesn't click for some reason and it's obvious it never will.