Jumping pets?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Curumor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: The Maelstrom

Jumping pets?

Unread post by Curumor »

It occured to me, that with the removal of Eyes of the Beast, there's no way to make pets jump.
But since "move to" is supposed to replace EotB, does it work just as well?
Like if you're on an edge and need to jump down, will using "move to" make your pet jump of the edge and to the desired spot, or will it do the good old take-the-scenic-route-and-pull-the-entire-instance routine?

Any beta testers who have tried?
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Re: Jumping pets?

Unread post by Azunara »

Scenic route, usually. I've had it listen to me a few times, and go where I directed it, but usually it likes to take the long way.
Satyr

Unread post by Satyr »

Pathing problems are still there. So yes, they do not runin a straight line usually. The baseline is to dismiss pet and resummon. Supposedly the pet doesnt lose happiness when dismissed any more. But I havent checked the logs on this.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Satyr wrote:Pathing problems are still there. So yes, they do not runin a straight line usually. The baseline is to dismiss pet and resummon. Supposedly the pet doesnt lose happiness when dismissed any more. But I havent checked the logs on this.
The happiness isn't the annoying part of having to dismiss. It's the FREAKING TOO LONG cast time of it. Supposedly, warlocks get an instant dismiss because their pets have a cast for summoning. Well, give the cast to hunters too then! Much rather that then the long dismiss!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Pent
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Pent - Mt. Hyjal - Alliance

Unread post by Pent »

Saturo wrote:
Satyr wrote:Pathing problems are still there. So yes, they do not runin a straight line usually. The baseline is to dismiss pet and resummon. Supposedly the pet doesnt lose happiness when dismissed any more. But I havent checked the logs on this.
The happiness isn't the annoying part of having to dismiss. It's the FREAKING TOO LONG cast time of it. Supposedly, warlocks get an instant dismiss because their pets have a cast for summoning. Well, give the cast to hunters too then! Much rather that then the long dismiss!
I am not sure if the Dismiss wait is still that long in beta... I don't remember if it is there or not... I'll have to check or someone else on beta can.
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." ~ Terry Pratchett

I need more hunters, IMO.

"A hobby should pass the time, not fill it." --Norman Bates "Psycho"
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Dismiss Pet has a whopping 2 second cast time on beta. I believe, but am not positive, that it has been confirmed that this is intended, as they want hunters to be able to quickly and easily switch pets in the field. Putting your pet up to jump down to avoid pathing issues will not be a problem.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Tahlian wrote:Dismiss Pet has a whopping 2 second cast time on beta. I believe, but am not positive, that it has been confirmed that this is intended, as they want hunters to be able to quickly and easily switch pets in the field. Putting your pet up to jump down to avoid pathing issues will not be a problem.
Just two seconds? Well, that solves that problem then. :)

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Curumor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: The Maelstrom

Unread post by Curumor »

Fair enough. Two second cast time is no biggie ^^
Epacsten
Realm: Garona

Unread post by Epacsten »

It would usually take longer than two seconds to use EotB and jump your pet down, so it's actually better in that respect. I just really enjoyed EotB personally and I'm not happy about them removing it. They probably did it because of hunters being able to use their pets to bug out encounters while being out of range, or some other exploit.
kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

I still think 2 seconds for dismissing a pet is still too long. 5 is eternity, especially when you feel you must dismiss your pet in light of sacrificing yourself to a gaggle of mobs. I have tried doing that and ninety-five percent of the time, I've died before my pet got dismissed and I hate to want to see my pet die.
Dakonic
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Baeglum

Unread post by Dakonic »

I need to get my but on beta or I am going to go through the noob stage again when cataclysm is released. xD
Dragon Cave: http://dragcave.net/user/Dakonic
Formally known as "celestial88"
Image Image Image Image
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

kamoodle5 wrote:I still think 2 seconds for dismissing a pet is still too long. 5 is eternity, especially when you feel you must dismiss your pet in light of sacrificing yourself to a gaggle of mobs. I have tried doing that and ninety-five percent of the time, I've died before my pet got dismissed and I hate to want to see my pet die.
With a 2s dismiss cast, you should be able to deterrence and dismiss in time to feign. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

kamoodle5
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by kamoodle5 »

I wonder, will Deterrance be something that hunters eventually be able to buy early when Cata hits? I think level 60 is a little bit high, so unfortunately for the times I've done this with my hunters at under 60 just to save my pets, it was still very risky. I remembered when you can only get Deterrance if you spent a talent point for it on Survival.