How does everyone feel about the pet offerings in Cataclysm?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
zedxrgal
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Re: How does everyone feel about the pet offerings in Catacl

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I agree 100% Rikaku. There is so much that yes I love but still can't help but feel .......................... cheated (for lack of a better word). As already said we're not still not being offered anything truly 'new' and up to snuff with all the improvements and land changes. I've noticed that the old world cat blockiness (in my opinion) looks worse. Hence why the only cat I have is Araga because for some reason she is the exception to the rule. I was really hoping for truly new families not rebadges of old outdated models.

Again don't get me wrong I love that variety is coming but would rather have less variety with something truly new then what's being offered. Sorry but that's how I feel.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Ket Shi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ket Shi »

I would really love if they'd revamp some of the most obviously chunky, ugly NPC models like furbolgs or tigers, but I doubt they want to invest the time. More pressing graphical stuff, like druid forms, are still using really old models or placeholders.

The only really big pet family I miss is hydras. They'd be a perfectly fitting exotic pet; wonder why they are stubborn about them?
Ikult
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (horde); Moon Guard (alli)

Unread post by Ikult »

I agree whole-heartedly with Rikaku's standpoint.
I am still quite upset about not being able to tame a Zhevra (I've wanted to tame one of those since original beta), but I also keep reminding myself that first off, Blizzard cannot in any way please everyone, and second, I personally feel a bit whiny asking for yet another family when we now have SO many to choose from. As a long, long time player, and I admit a bit of a blind fangirl, I take what crumbs (or pies) Blizz throws at us Hunters with a grain of salt. I've seen Blizz take away so many wonderful things from Hunters (and their pets), yet eventually there is a balance.

RIP, original Spirit Bond- I still miss you sorely.

Look at this beautiful new Ghost Wolf that I've been so extremely angry over losing; now with some hard work, I will finally have my dream pet.

I've talked to many hunters whose dream pet is Gezz, and they will get her soon!

I do have the Hydra-dile, but I want to see other hunters with a Hydra. Who knows? Blizz has been known to add in new things after expansion's release; we might get a lovely surprise in patch notes in a few months!

While I can see why some people are upset or simply dissatisfied, I do tend to always try to find a silver lining, and I urge others to do the same. ^_^

P.S. I also do agree with some of these new models- the monkeys and foxes in particular, while an interesting idea, are executed poorly artistically. Their models are not up to Cata standards, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them updated at a later time.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I like a lot of them, but I wish there were more improved common ones and not just awesome super sekrit squirrel rares (I'd like a black version of Sambas for example). Give all the models love, even if I don't have a bajillion hours to put up a tent and toast s'mores with that orc. Though I'm sure he's a chill fellow, he has an unfortunate habit of burning the marshmallows.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

Originally I wasn't too "thrilled" with just foxes, Mastiffs and monkeys either. But I'm now so-so with things. I'm glad they made a new Exotic species. I'm glad for some of the new tameables. Heck, I remember when Collosuses were made tameable, via a bug, at first and being only excited about that for a long time. But that sucks that they only made just 1 new Exotic with limited "skin" choices. I wanted there to be more brand-new tameables especially Exotic pets! Yeah Cataclysm to me is really lackluster too, like this year's Blizz Con. Brand-new tameables are missing in this expansion. I thought about how Cataclysm only "shakes up" old Azeroth before too. I'm thinking that's it too. I too feel cheated from brand-new pet species. And there's seriously not much time for the Cataclysm beta now. Each day that it stays up now surprises me. Cataclysm's coming out next month, time's really ticking for the beta, duh.
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

In all fairness, we got new beasts. We got new families that hadn't been seen before. With all the pleas of Zhevras and Basilisks, then another plea for truly new pets from the same people, idk how anyone could truly be satisfied... Those Zhevras and Basilisks and Hydras etc. aren't new models, and Foxes/dogs/shale spiders aren't old creatures turned tamable... I don't see much logic about whining/asking for new beasts, then complaining when old beasts don't become tamable... It's like having a popsickle just out of reach, then you ask someone to pass you the Icecream cone right next to it, then complaining that you didn't get the popsickle...

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Kitairra
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Exodar

Unread post by Kitairra »

Mania wrote:I'm doing cartwheels.
^^ This pretty much sums up exactly how i feel.

Kitairra

Edit: Now we need more stable slots,and I wish I were kidding! :lol:
Kramaru
Realm: Alleria EU

Unread post by Kramaru »

Honestly? I am not too excited.

I don't have a problem with rare skins that I will never get, but rare models really anger me (not talking about spirit beasts). I am talking of course about the lion and scorpion, they will be hunted like mad on my busy server pretty much like loque now and people will try to sell them for 5k+.

So what other GOOD new models do we have? Turtle.......croc.......crab.....shale spider.......which of course are tenacity which I NEVER use because ferocity with the self heal, self rez and higher dps are much better over all except when soloing old raid bosses.

The only new ferocity are the fox/mastiff which are cool and cute but rather bad models/textures compared to the others.

So the new silithids are cool.....oh wait........cunning........again I can't use them in instances (what I do most of the time beside dailies) because of their useless specc.

I guess by the time you read that you pretty much realized how much I hate the forced talent trees of our pets. I am not a min/maxer by any means, but I want to help my group out as much as I can and using cunning or tenacity does hurt any group.
I have skoll and the blue parrot which name I never can remember, but that was extreme luck and it took me almost one and a half year to get them. I will have a lot of pets in my stable (all that I mentioned above, except of course the rare ones) but it is a damn shame I will hardly use them.

Oh yea and every time I look at my wasp I facepalm because of the new pvp ability, blizzards seems to love strict pvp abilities for our pets.

And blizzard, if you make an eagle cunning at least fix it shadows or skin (whatever is broken)..........2 years now really? And don't get me started about the vultures.....

Sorry for my rant, having a bad morning. I am grateful for their work and what we get, but sometimes I have to wonder what on earth are they thinking.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Cunning isn't "useless" in PvE. In fact, cunning pets can outperform ferocity pets these days. It's all in the specs.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

Really? Not very much interests me whatsoever to the point I think meh to the majority of the new models. New ghost pets which I like because I'm wierd, Ghost Wolf who is awesome so glad for that (And taken this long to get me remotely interested in a Spirit Beast), parrots, giant sithilid... then I'm all out. I mean there are skins I like such as the hounds and boars but I cannot stand their animations.

There are still families that need bulking out. Getting Clefties and Kodo with Rhinos for one, why the hell they have yet to do it I have no idea. Heck how about tossing in a new Plainstrider skin or another suggesiton of Hawkstriders? There are a few families that could do with at least one new skin or a model as serious wishful thinking just to freshen things up a bit.

I still want Hydra which would give exotic another and there's a crapload of existing skins there and usable, their animations work if Ghost Hydra is anything to go by. I just want more incentive to level my Hunters I guess, I've still got plans for more existing tamable pets pre-Wrath than anywhere else for goodness sake.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Kalliope wrote:Cunning isn't "useless" in PvE. In fact, cunning pets can outperform ferocity pets these days. It's all in the specs.
Exactly, I compete just as well with My Serpent as I do with my Raptor.(best example I could think of, as they have the same buffs.)

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Valashe
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Valashe »

Aside from perhaps cleaning up some of the older vanilla models (which could be said about the older pre BC races as well), I couldn't be happier.

My only real gripe is that I don't think our stables are big enough to hold all the goodness! :D

Queen of teh Squerlz!

View my stable!

Protego
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Protego »

Whatever Gimlion. Calling people "whiners" is an insult and not allowed here. Duh.
Robot Wars is renewed for 6 episodes! I love some Exotic pets! And I hate spiders for.. "pets"!

Kramaru
Realm: Alleria EU

Unread post by Kramaru »

Kalliope wrote:Cunning isn't "useless" in PvE. In fact, cunning pets can outperform ferocity pets these days. It's all in the specs.

Really? 4.0.1? Well that is good news then, thanks :headbang:
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

I never called anyone here a whiner, I simply said that some of these statements are a touch on the whining side. I can understand, I've whined about things not being tameable, there's nothing wrong with it in small scale.

What I was trying to get at, is it seems rather odd to be asking for both more new models, and more old models to get the tame switch. We got a very good set of both in this expansion, yet it still seems as if people are upset about getting too many new models/pets, and not older beasts becoming tamable, while ALSO saying that we got too many old skins made tamable, and that we shoulda gotten more new skins... I don't see any logic in that, do you?

Sorcha Ravenlock
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Darkmoon Faire

Unread post by Sorcha Ravenlock »

I'm delighted with it all. Lots of old skins people always wanted but couldn't get have been made available, and new skins and families are being added as well. Overall I feel hunters are being spoiled for choice, and with people like Wain still regularly discovering new tameables, it looks like there is still more to come.
When we got the 25 slots I couldn't imagine ever filling them, now I'm thinking I might need another hunter (or two) to tame all the different pets I want :D

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. :D Gonna get me a foxy foxy.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Kayb
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Nagrand

Unread post by Kayb »

I also share most of Rikaku's sentiments. I'm not fussed on things Hydras of Zhevra or Stags, as I don't really want them anyway, but I do agree with the notion that they were the most requested, and it seems people weren't listened to.

It's awesome we have so many new skins to pick from, but the number of new families bugs me, and the quality of some of the new things does too.

Those seagulls? Definately not a great model, it is totally a critter model scaled up slightly. Did seagulls even exist in game before Cata? In any capacity? If not, (and even if yes) as far as a tamable pet goes, it needs something better than a critter model.

All those parrots could/should be split off into their own family.

Many of the original models are in desperate need of updating. Admittedly this is an enormous undertaking so I can't say I blame them for not getting around to it.

Monkeys fling poo. Come on. Seriously? That's the best they could do? Bah.

I know it sounds like another whiney post, but like some others, I'm half uber happy (yes I really really am actually!), and half kinda miffed about it.
Check out some arty stuff?
http://admiral-lilwall.deviantart.com/

'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

http://lilwall.net
Feath3r
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Feath3r »

I was fine with the pets up until they made the Lion and Scorpid mount skins tameable.

They could have made the new fox and mastiffs as greatly designed as those and instead we got the same old design style. I just can't get pass that they would take something completely new and just "Eh, no need to throw effort into it, just make it like the others" when we could have had something as awesome as the Scorpid and Lion (and the new crabs too now that I think about it, those look nice) in the new families.

I'm also kind of disappointed that they added a bunch of skins for some families (like the beetles, birds of prey and wasps, good god) but there are still quite a few families with four, or less, skins in total. Bats, Chimaeras, Sporebats, Corehounds, Devilsaurs and Rhinos all have four or less skins (not including any of the skins that are hard as heck to get, like with Krush) and it'd be nice to see Blizz spread the love to ALL the pets and not just a few families.

But they could still add more skins for the other families since there is still time, but for now I'm not overly happy with the way things are. I'm not angry or anything about it, but I'm not going to praise the great and mighty Blizz when they could have (and showed us they could have) done better.
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Unread post by pengupuff »

I am so excited that I can barely stand it. The new pets/skins are what I'm most looking forward to come Cata.
I can't decide if I want to start camping available rares immediately or if I would rather hit the cap first so that I'm not limited to what I can tame. Decisions, decisions.

Either way, when I get my copy of Cata, I'll be up for 24 hours straight easy. I'll be skipping my college classes, locking myself in my apartment, and my phone will be off.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!