Wait on abandoning pets

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Wait on abandoning pets

Unread post by Kalliope »

With all of the hubbub about changed skins and hunters not wanting the new ones going on, I just wanted to remind everyone not to act too hastily. This is STILL BETA and THINGS CAN AND PROBABLY WILL STILL CHANGE. So please wait a bit before abandoning your dear friends from the past five years. Tame a replacement/backup/whatever if you have the space, but it would be just horrible to abandon an old companion in one build only to find out in the next build that the change has been reverted. Double heartbreak.

Everyone has to make their own choices, but I just wanted to throw this out as a reminder.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Re: Wait on abandoning pets

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

All you can hope for is nothing explodes and if you're inclined, tame conversion skins before word gets out...

*whistles*
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
Kalliope

Well, I mean, if you want a new one, that's different. Go right ahead on that!

But if you're looking at your old pet and are going to run off and tame a different bunch of pixels so your pet's appearance won't change, it might be worth it to wait.

YouTube Edition

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

Ariamodasu wrote:All you can hope for is nothing explodes and if you're inclined, tame conversion skins before word gets out...

*whistles*
*shuffles towards Shango*
I only wish that the time spent now on the rares is not wasted if Bliz decides to change something. *eyes Rak'Shiri up and down*
Ariamodasu
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream (EU) | Terokkar (EU) | Bloodhoof (EU)

Unread post by Ariamodasu »

My camping involved travel time, then ten minute waiting time to track them down and that was it for the Night Elf loving moggie duo. Only other conversion rare I want is too high for that Hunter :< So little time to fit everything in before it explodes.
My main's a Druid so I of course love critters. That counts for something right? Right?

-

Rest in Peace Yasindra/Ryai
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

I camped maybe 4 or 5 old rares for their change over. I do not want to be disappointed.

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

WildcatTM wrote:I camped maybe 4 or 5 old rares for their change over. I do not want to be disappointed.
Same. :( Got confirmation from a GM that Rak'Shiri can be killed by the elementals. >.> He wished me good luck, but I gave up for the night and logged for a while. Came back in the morning and he was walking near his south most spawn point. :D
I know there are many people who're attached to the current skins of their pets, but I really think people should look at it more from a more refreshing PoV, instead of overreacting and being scared of the change.
I really liked the comment that someone made of Rak'Shiri aging and losing the shine on his fur for cata. :P As well as the other wee kittens growing up.
Astratia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Astratia »

I'm praying they leave Rak'shiri his old coat, but we will see... I won't abandon my companion even if he changes, but would prefer the old minty saber.

Art Credit to Lupin Dark Wolf

Arisia
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard US (H)

Unread post by Arisia »

erwil wrote:
WildcatTM wrote: I know there are many people who're attached to the current skins of their pets, but I really think people should look at it more from a more refreshing PoV, instead of overreacting and being scared of the change.
I really liked the comment that someone made of Rak'Shiri aging and losing the shine on his fur for cata. :P As well as the other wee kittens growing up.
I'd prolly be fine with that if it was something I could choose. I did something akin to that when I had a wolf pet age and slowly change and eventually his form took on a spirit blue-- meaning I went through a few wolves to see what I liked and ended up keeping Skoll, with the same name.

The problem here is that I am not being given a choice. It really is upsetting to some hunters, and I'm part of that group. No, I never felt like a "speshul snowflake" as has been snottily tossed around here and there because I had a blue tiger... it was that I wanted a blue tiger from the second I saw him and the years I have played with and had fun with THIS PARTICULAR GROUP OF BLUE SHADED PIXELS are special to me. I could really give a monkey's hiney if Blizzard made every single tiger in the area blue... I'd still keep and adore Merlyn.

I don't want to go out and re-tame a new one.
I don't want his form changed.
I feel the same way all the people who are going to loose their hyenalike Scarlet Hounds, and the fact that some folks are thrilled because well, its a tiger skin that wasn't around before is lovely for THEM, but it is not the one I chose as my pet all those years ago.

There are HOW many wandering tigers out there in the area-- remove the path of one, rename the id of the bundle of pixels in that single group of code, and you have your same solution without taking away the pet of so many that yeah, we worked hard to get.

I do hope it is, as this thread suggests, something that can and does change. I do want all of you who are eager to get the new tiger skin to have that option.

I just am hoping your happiness isn't due to my unhappiness, that's all. I'd prefer a solution where we ALL can feel good about this. :)
Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Same. :( Got confirmation from a GM that Rak'Shiri can be killed by the elementals. >.> He wished me good luck, but I gave up for the night and logged for a while. Came back in the morning and he was walking near his south most spawn point. :D
Yes, he can definitely be killed by elementals.

I remember back when I was lvl 56 in Winterspring, I was traveling with a friend through Winterspring. The entire place was being invaded by Undead (it was back when the original Naxxramas appeared in-game, back at lvl 60). I saw Rak'shiri and was literally in awe.

And then a horde of undead literally targeted him and murdered him in front of me. D: I was so upset.

Kalliope

*nods to Arisa* I posted this with a good number of poor distraught Rak'shiri owners in mind (among others, but there seem to be many of them when it comes to her). I really really hope Blizzard swaps the color change to Shy-Rotam. It just strikes me as being more fitting for her rather than Rak. She'll match her hubby and many of the cubs better.

YouTube Edition

Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

Arisia wrote:
erwil wrote:
WildcatTM wrote: I know there are many people who're attached to the current skins of their pets, but I really think people should look at it more from a more refreshing PoV, instead of overreacting and being scared of the change.
I'd prolly be fine with that if it was something I could choose. I did something akin to that when I had a wolf pet age and slowly change and eventually his form took on a spirit blue-- meaning I went through a few wolves to see what I liked and ended up keeping Skoll, with the same name.

The problem here is that I am not being given a choice. It really is upsetting to some hunters, and I'm part of that group. No, I never felt like a "speshul snowflake" as has been snottily tossed around here and there because I had a blue tiger... it was that I wanted a blue tiger from the second I saw him and the years I have played with and had fun with THIS PARTICULAR GROUP OF BLUE SHADED PIXELS are special to me. I could really give a monkey's hiney if Blizzard made every single tiger in the area blue... I'd still keep and adore Merlyn.

I don't want to go out and re-tame a new one.
I don't want his form changed.
I feel the same way all the people who are going to loose their hyenalike Scarlet Hounds, and the fact that some folks are thrilled because well, its a tiger skin that wasn't around before is lovely for THEM, but it is not the one I chose as my pet all those years ago.

There are HOW many wandering tigers out there in the area-- remove the path of one, rename the id of the bundle of pixels in that single group of code, and you have your same solution without taking away the pet of so many that yeah, we worked hard to get.

I do hope it is, as this thread suggests, something that can and does change. I do want all of you who are eager to get the new tiger skin to have that option.

I just am hoping your happiness isn't due to my unhappiness, that's all. I'd prefer a solution where we ALL can feel good about this. :)

This...this. Ten THOUSAND times this. I stashed Shy-Rotam in my stable against the worst-case scenario...but I'm really and truly hoping and praying I can open up that stable slot with a joyful heart when the day comes because the tame was un-needed. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Kalliope

Hopefully, since Blizzard listened to us about changing these beasties in the first place, they'll listen to SO MANY upset Rak'shiri lovers. I know that'll probably upset the Shy-Rotam tamers, but sigh, it would be the lesser of two evils, since of ALL the changed beasts, Rak'shiri was the least commonly seen in the first place.

Or they could just give it to King B and leave Winterspring alone. T_T

YouTube Edition

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

Bliz cannot please everyone. But, Duskfang is not a rare right? I can understand the rare factor bliz wants to keep with the new cat models, but I'd say Rak's spawn timer is tad bit too long for that (counting how many night elves have missed their exclusive starting area pet, as well as all the others who'd love it as well).
Last edited by erwil on Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azunara
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Azunara »

They should change the frostsaber stalkers (You know the kitties that were sneaky changed from pure white to striped?) to that model, and return Rak to his/her original. It makes sense, because the first Frostsabers have their old one. Rak and Shy keep theirs. King B keeps his early frostsaber model. And no one is too upset.
Jango
Realm: Defias Brotherhood

Unread post by Jango »

I think they should give "Humar the Pridelord" some love, he was my first ever rare and disliked it when "Pitch" turned up with his skin :/