Suggested Change To Exotic Pets

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Suggested Change To Exotic Pets

Unread post by Lisaara »

Bushsbuddy wrote:
Taluwen wrote:I still say "NO WAY!" because giving away the exotic ability like that, you might as well get rid of the BM tree.

Sorry but this definitely doesn't get my support.
What if spirit beasts remained BM only, and I gave you a cookie! :D
I mentioned that earlier, silly. XD
Taluwen wrote: If that were the case, the only way I'd support the idea is if
1. The type of exotics are limited that they can have.(Means No Spirit Beasts. That's a trademark BM pet for those who like them plus they are so limited. We have enough competition as is.)
2. Exotic Ability cannot be used.
Also Rhy: Since its SURVIVAL and MARKSMAN, they dont wanna be seen. They're wanting to survive, like a rogue. Pets arent their thing either. BM is all about the pets. SV and MM is all about THEM, not the pet.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Kalliope wrote:After thinking about it some more, I realized that the main thing I'm against with this plan is that I already planned my stable to cover necessary exotics and non-exotics. Were this system to be implemented, I would have no justified reason to have a cat and a spirit beast. One of them would become extraneous and have no specific niche in a raid.
But, you could have a cat because you like it, or a SB because you like it, and it wouldn't matter one way or the other. I'm sad that I love Duskfang but he's just a standard old non-exotic. If he had a special unlockable ability as BM, that'd be awesome! I could run with Shikon (Gondria) one day and Nemaeus (Duskfang) the next, and it wouldn't matter because both of them would be equals. It'd be more a matter of preference and less about niche - something I thought Blizz was trying to veer away from anyway.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Taluwen wrote:
Also Rhy: Since its SURVIVAL and MARKSMAN, they dont wanna be seen. They're wanting to survive, like a rogue. Pets arent their thing either. BM is all about the pets. SV and MM is all about THEM, not the pet.
Well, a boss isn't going to fall at my feet because my pet is prettier than that MM hunter's pet over there. It's going to fall at my feet because my giant red pet just shredded its face to bits. I still stand by my opinion that BM is not about pretty/shiny/special TO ME, it's about how fast my pet will take you down, be it a worm, spirit beast, devilsaur, or tall strider.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Rhyela wrote:
Taluwen wrote:
Well, a boss isn't going to fall at my feet because my pet is prettier than that MM hunter's pet over there. It's going to fall at my feet because my giant red pet just shredded its face to bits. I still stand by my opinion that BM is not about pretty/shiny/special TO ME, it's about how fast my pet will take you down, be it a worm, spirit beast, devilsaur, or tall strider.
It also goes down with an arrow that explodes in the bosses face on contact too.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Rhyela wrote:
Kalliope wrote:This is an interesting idea to make non-exotic pets more appealing to BM hunters. The thing is, the whole appeal of BM *is* the exotic pets. Exotic pets wouldn't seem nearly as exotic if the "exotic" part was the exotic ability, rather than the species/skin.
Personally, being BM has never been about the unique skins for me. It's always been fun to me that my pet, my companion, is almost equal in skill in battle as myself. In fact, I'm BM and only a handful of my pets in my stable are exotic. More often than not, I'd rather run with a boar or tallstrider or spider or what-have-you. I honestly wish being BM wasn't about special skins, I would rather it was about something else. What that something else should/would be, I don't know, but I was just as happy being BM back before exotics as I am now. After all, when you look at a SV or MM hunter, can you tell right off that they're a SV or MM hunter? Do they have a special something that tells you right away, "Oh look, a Survival hunter!" No.....that's why it confuses me that BM has to have a little tag that yells, "Hey, I'm BM!" Neither of the other specs do. Their signature comes out during battle, with their shots. I don't know why BM has to be any different. BM isn't about the shiny pets for me, it's about the skill and the ferocity of the pet.

But maybe that's just me.
I don't think it's just you. I'm just trying to approach the tree from a min-maxing perspective. I run with non-exotics as BM too. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kalliope wrote:
Rhyela wrote:
Kalliope wrote:This is an interesting idea to make non-exotic pets more appealing to BM hunters. The thing is, the whole appeal of BM *is* the exotic pets. Exotic pets wouldn't seem nearly as exotic if the "exotic" part was the exotic ability, rather than the species/skin.
Personally, being BM has never been about the unique skins for me. It's always been fun to me that my pet, my companion, is almost equal in skill in battle as myself. In fact, I'm BM and only a handful of my pets in my stable are exotic. More often than not, I'd rather run with a boar or tallstrider or spider or what-have-you. I honestly wish being BM wasn't about special skins, I would rather it was about something else. What that something else should/would be, I don't know, but I was just as happy being BM back before exotics as I am now. After all, when you look at a SV or MM hunter, can you tell right off that they're a SV or MM hunter? Do they have a special something that tells you right away, "Oh look, a Survival hunter!" No.....that's why it confuses me that BM has to have a little tag that yells, "Hey, I'm BM!" Neither of the other specs do. Their signature comes out during battle, with their shots. I don't know why BM has to be any different. BM isn't about the shiny pets for me, it's about the skill and the ferocity of the pet.

But maybe that's just me.
I don't think it's just you. I'm just trying to approach the tree from a min-maxing perspective. I run with non-exotics as BM too. :)
I do too but Blizzard worked their butt off to make BMs actually compete with MM and SV. Why take that away? I really don't see a point to it. I like people knowing by my pet that I'm BM so they know what to expect. You know SV Hunter by their explosive shot. MM has Trueshot Aura.....why take away the exotics that symbolize BM and just say "Hey everyone canhave them!"

We have dual-speccing. Dualspec BM if you want an exotic pet.

LisaaraPokefarm

Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Calomel »

When you think of the words "Beast Master", what comes to mind? Really, sit back and THINK about it. Beast. Master.

Now think about what the word "Marksman" means. Now..."Survival".

Beast Masters are completely wrapped up in their pets. Hunting and taming the rarest, most vicious of beasts. They are the pinnacle of the bond between a hunter and his/her pet. Marksmen are crack-shots. Honing their skills with ranged weapons to a deadly accuracy. Survival hunters are all about out-lasting the other guy. These hunters are what I would consider the true 'rangers' of the WoW game.

I agree with Taluwen on this one. Beast Masters are defined by their ability to tame exotics and have big, beefy pets that hit like a truck. It's what makes the spec attractive. I love being BM specced, but it's because I love the pets that much. If I could just drop a glyph into my slots to keep my beasts or run on out and tame a Silithid as a Marksman, what the hell is the point of being BM?

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

Bushsbuddy

Unread post by Bushsbuddy »

Taluwen wrote:I do too but Blizzard worked their butt off to make BMs actually compete with MM and SV. Why take that away? I really don't see a point to it. I like people knowing by my pet that I'm BM so they know what to expect. You know SV Hunter by their explosive shot.
Im the opposite. In pvp, I don't want the enemy to know what to expect. Its why I don't fly around on my roflcopter as an engineer, because then they know I have a parachute and rocket boots. Same thing with pets, If I could use a normal cat instead of a spirit beast, or you know whatever pet, that gives me that couple more seconds of them not knowing exactly what to do.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Calomel wrote:When you think of the words "Beast Master", what comes to mind? Really, sit back and THINK about it. Beast. Master.

Now think about what the word "Marksman" means. Now..."Survival".

Beast Masters are completely wrapped up in their pets. Hunting and taming the rarest, most vicious of beasts. They are the pinnacle of the bond between a hunter and his/her pet. Marksmen are crack-shots. Honing their skills with ranged weapons to a deadly accuracy. Survival hunters are all about out-lasting the other guy. These hunters are what I would consider the true 'rangers' of the WoW game.

I agree with Taluwen on this one. Beast Masters are defined by their ability to tame exotics and have big, beefy pets that hit like a truck. It's what makes the spec attractive. I love being BM specced, but it's because I love the pets that much. If I could just drop a glyph into my slots to keep my beasts or run on out and tame a Silithid as a Marksman, what the hell is the point of being BM?
You said it so much better than I. :) Very well said.

/applaud

Bush: Most pvpers wont really care what you are. They just want you dead. you're not sitting there for a minute to figure out what spec they are. You just know 'okay. rogue. kill it.'. That's the mindset of the majority of pvpers.

LisaaraPokefarm

Nefretiti
Realm: Durotan US,Saurfang, Staghelm

Unread post by Nefretiti »

Dead horse .. stick .. is beating it really that much fun?

http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2541

why not suggest they give hunters ONE talent tree then? give everyone the same pets, the same shots the same everything .. there problem solved! or is it?

Beastmaster is called that for A REASON.
Don't be afraid to go for your dreams.
Reach for the moon and if you miss it reach out and grab a star.

Bushsbuddy

Taluwen wrote:You said it so much better than I. :) Very well said.

/applaud

Bush: Most pvpers wont really care what you are. They just want you dead. you're not sitting there for a minute to figure out what spec they are. You just know 'okay. rogue. kill it.'. That's the mindset of the majority of pvpers.
If they don't then they arn't good enough where that couple seconds will actually matter. When some people see BM hunters, they might make an effort to disable the pet. With MM/SV they wouldn't bother. Thats what im talking about. Right now, Im not sure if this is a bug or not but either way If im pvping as SV and come across a BM, i send my pet after his pet, and the growl is actually keeping his pet attacking mine, leaving me free to completely destroy the hunter, running around dancing while doing it.
Kalliope

Taluwen wrote:
Kalliope wrote:I don't think it's just you. I'm just trying to approach the tree from a min-maxing perspective. I run with non-exotics as BM too. :)
I do too but Blizzard worked their butt off to make BMs actually compete with MM and SV. Why take that away? I really don't see a point to it. I like people knowing by my pet that I'm BM so they know what to expect. You know SV Hunter by their explosive shot. MM has Trueshot Aura.....why take away the exotics that symbolize BM and just say "Hey everyone canhave them!"

We have dual-speccing. Dualspec BM if you want an exotic pet.
Kinda where I was going with this. "Big Red" doesn't last long enough to really count as much as it used to.
Bushsbuddy wrote:Im the opposite. In pvp, I don't want the enemy to know what to expect. Its why I don't fly around on my roflcopter as an engineer, because then they know I have a parachute and rocket boots. Same thing with pets, If I could use a normal cat instead of a spirit beast, or you know whatever pet, that gives me that couple more seconds of them not knowing exactly what to do.
All three hunter specs have "auras" now. BM has ferocious inspiration, marks has trueshot aura, and survival has hunting party. If another player looks at you, they know what spec you are. Instantly. TSA and HP are always on. If FI isn't up because your pet isn't out, they'll still know by process of elimination.

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Bushsbuddy wrote:
Taluwen wrote:You said it so much better than I. :) Very well said.

/applaud

If they don't then they arn't good enough where that couple seconds will actually matter. When some people see BM hunters, they might make an effort to disable the pet. With MM/SV they wouldn't bother. Thats what im talking about. Right now, Im not sure if this is a bug or not but either way If im pvping as SV and come across a BM, i send my pet after his pet, and the growl is actually keeping his pet attacking mine, leaving me free to completely destroy the hunter, running around dancing while doing it.
I've met your types as BM and I was the one that came our victorious because of my usage of my pet and knowing how to control him so I could kill off your pet while you get freeze trapped and then finish the SV Hunter off.

Also, Kalli hit that on the nose. the big red pet doesnt really mean much anymore. And yeah, we do all have auras. The aura is a dead give away.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bushsbuddy

True enough, but those arn't as obvious as a spirit beast or ecorehound or something, you can tell a BM without even targeting them.
Kalliope

Nefretiti wrote:Dead horse .. stick .. is beating it really that much fun?
The OP is new to the forums and clearly hadn't seen the original thread. There's no need to be rude. :)

YouTube Edition

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Bushsbuddy wrote:True enough, but those arn't as obvious as a spirit beast or ecorehound or something, you can tell a BM without even targeting them.
Most times, you wont care. You just know it needs to die or you die.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bushsbuddy

LOL... well assuming i sit in a freeze trap, maybe... Something hilarious about coming up to a Bm hunter who doesnt have BW up, and fear beasting away half his dps and focus regen.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Bushsbuddy wrote:LOL... well assuming i sit in a freeze trap, maybe... Something hilarious about coming up to a Bm hunter who doesnt have BW up, and fear beasting away half his dps and focus regen.
Didnt say i used fear beast. I wasnt detailed on what I did. I save BW for mauling the hunters face.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bushsbuddy

Taluwen wrote:
Bushsbuddy wrote:LOL... well assuming i sit in a freeze trap, maybe... Something hilarious about coming up to a Bm hunter who doesnt have BW up, and fear beasting away half his dps and focus regen.
Didnt say i used fear beast. I wasnt detailed on what I did. I save BW for mauling the hunters face.
No Im saying me as SV fear beasting the BM hunter's pet. Not only fear beast, that just happens to be my favourite ability of all time due to the rage it causes feral druids. But snake trap feigning, and the pet attacks snakes, or trapping the pet, or like I said before, keeping my pet on the BM pet, currently the BM pet wont stop attacking my pet even if the BM hunter spams attack me. Its even worse vs a dk with army of the dead up, or a mage with mirror images. Pet just wont listen.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I kinda agree with Taluwen here. When I think of a Beast Master hunter, I think of someone who is completely in tune with their pet and has learned how to tame the biggest, baddest, most elusive beasties out there. I would be so depressed if I saw a bunch of MM/SV hunters competing for spirit beasts (which we already have to compete with non-hunters on as well) and running around with pets that I've always associated with BM hunters.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]