Suggested Change To Exotic Pets

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Bushsbuddy

Suggested Change To Exotic Pets

Unread post by Bushsbuddy »

I just posted this in the Wow hunter forums, gonna paste it over here. :) made this account just tp post it.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 6364&sid=1

This is not a QQ thread about how bad hunters are. I've done my share of those. This is a suggestion I thought of today looking at my stable.

So I don't know if anyone has posted this before, but here goes.

I dont like that exotic pets are BM only. I realize that Blizz did that to make BM feel special, but really all it does is limit the pets a spec can use, even BM, and make you have a stable full of useless pets that can't be moved if you drop BM all together.

So I was thinking, now that they have a system, where non exotic pets have a non exotic ability, like a buff, or something non damaging, and exotics have an extra ability, why not expand on that.

I think that ALL pets should have exotic and non exotic abilites. And as BM you would be able to you would be able to use the exotic ability. Take a current pet, like the worm. If i remember, it has the 4$ physical damage buff. As MM or SV you could use the worm, and that would be its abilty. As BM, you would still have that, and slo get the burrow aoe attack it currently has.

This would accomplish the goal of making BM feel its pet's are special, and even bring more utility to the spec. Currently, there is almost no reason to use non exotic pets as BM.

No some obstacles are just creative, non balace ones IMO. Like, we currently have many pets which give buff/debuffs, and then we have some with utility, like web or pin, or slow etc. So I think you would pretty much have to keep the base abilities the same as they are now. Maybe the current pets with buffs/debuffs get a utility as an exotic ability as BM, and the ones with utlity, give a buff/debuff. Im not sure, but ccertainly we could think of something.

Also, I think this would open the door to the idea of picking your pet's talent tree, instead of the tree being based on family. Ferocity turtles anyone? :P

The system is already in place, just needs to be expanded. Also, I really liked the addition of special abilities like play, and rest, and the bird tricks. That could be expanded aswell.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Suggested Change To Exotic Pets

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm sorry but i just don't like any of that at all.

As my work always says..."Dont fix what isn't broken" or "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".

The system we have is not broken in this sense.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Bushsbuddy

I think it would add a lot of fun new abilities. With this change, every pet family would have an exotic ability to unlock by being BM. Im not very creative but Im sure the smart people here or at blizz could think of fun and fitting abilities.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

They did already. ^^; The ones we already have are the fun abilities.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bushsbuddy

Taluwen wrote:They did already. ^^; The ones we already have are the fun abilities.
Right... but what's wrong with MORE fun abilties lol. It wouldn't break anything, its just adding to what we have.

Also, some people in the other threeads got hung up on the line about ferocity turtles or something. That doesn't matter, and isn't what this idea is about, I just noted that It would enable such a system.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

It would break balance in hunters and pretty much go back to what Blizzard abolished in WotLK, which is the whole 'certain pets will learn certain moves' thing. I'd seriously rather it not go back to that. I'm content with how Blizzard balanced the pets to be equal. Exotics have their ability specifically for BM hunters, which as a BM hunter, I'd be really upset to see an SV or MM hunter with something that should be BM only.

LisaaraPokefarm

Revynn
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Revynn »

It's funny that this is here, since I just posted my own suggestion on this very issue.

Copy/Paste:

Glyph of Taming - Grants you the ability to tame exotic pets, but the pet will not be able to use it's Exotic Ability.

My reasoning behind this one is that, with the 4.0 changes to class buffs, a full range of (de)buffs will be covered fairly easily and often 2-3 times over in a 25M raid environment leaving most hunters with the option to bring whichever pet they like the most. While I love this design philosophy, I feel like the Hunters who truly enjoy pet collecting and have that "favorite" pet may need to leave their favorite Wrom or Corehound in the stable simply because BM is too low on the DPS totem pole or because MM or SV is required for . . . whatever. This glyph would simply allow any MM or SV (or indeed, low level hunter without access to the 31pt Beast Mastery talent) to tame and use Corehounds, Devilsaurs, Worms, Shale Spiders, Silithids, etc. The downside is that they still would not have access to the 4 extra pet talent points that BM Hunters get and would lose access to the pets Exotic Ability like Ancient Hysteria or Monstrous Bite. SInce the end result of this Glyph would be mostly Cosmetic, I could see this one as a Minor Glyph. However, since the ability to tame Exotic Pets is a fairly key part of the BM Tree's flavor, this would also make sense as a Major.

The full post and it's suggestion for some Warlock glyphs can be found here:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 10&sid=1#0

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Revynn wrote:It's funny that this is here, since I just posted my own suggestion on this very issue.

Copy/Paste:

Glyph of Taming - Grants you the ability to tame exotic pets, but the pet will not be able to use it's Exotic Ability.

My reasoning behind this one is that, with the 4.0 changes to class buffs, a full range of (de)buffs will be covered fairly easily and often 2-3 times over in a 25M raid environment leaving most hunters with the option to bring whichever pet they like the most. While I love this design philosophy, I feel like the Hunters who truly enjoy pet collecting and have that "favorite" pet may need to leave their favorite Wrom or Corehound in the stable simply because BM is too low on the DPS totem pole or because MM or SV is required for . . . whatever. This glyph would simply allow any MM or SV (or indeed, low level hunter without access to the 31pt Beast Mastery talent) to tame and use Corehounds, Devilsaurs, Worms, Shale Spiders, Silithids, etc. The downside is that they still would not have access to the 4 extra pet talent points that BM Hunters get and would lose access to the pets Exotic Ability like Ancient Hysteria or Monstrous Bite. SInce the end result of this Glyph would be mostly Cosmetic, I could see this one as a Minor Glyph. However, since the ability to tame Exotic Pets is a fairly key part of the BM Tree's flavor, this would also make sense as a Major.

The full post and it's suggestion for some Warlock glyphs can be found here:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 10&sid=1#0
If that were the case, the only way I'd support the idea is if
1. The type of exotics are limited that they can have.(Means No Spirit Beasts. That's a trademark BM pet for those who like them plus they are so limited. We have enough competition as is.)
2. Exotic Ability cannot be used.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bushsbuddy

Taluwen wrote:It would break balance in hunters and pretty much go back to what Blizzard abolished in WotLK, which is the whole 'certain pets will learn certain moves' thing. I'd seriously rather it not go back to that. I'm content with how Blizzard balanced the pets to be equal. Exotics have their ability specifically for BM hunters, which as a BM hunter, I'd be really upset to see an SV or MM hunter with something that should be BM only.
Not necessarily. They don't have to be damaging abilities. The main motivation behind this change for me, is for example, I have a cat and a spirit beast. As BM, there is no reason to use the cat, except if I really really like it. The cat is just plain inferior. If the cat had some different secondary ability for BM hunters only, it would give the cat a purpose.

EDIT: I view this as a BUFF to BM if anything, and only a quality of life change for the other specs. The only negative I can fathom, is that BM hunters would feel less special, but let me say, you will surely know you are fighting a BM hunter as soon as his big red rhino punts you off a cliff.
Last edited by Bushsbuddy on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Bushsbuddy wrote:
Taluwen wrote:It would break balance in hunters and pretty much go back to what Blizzard abolished in WotLK, which is the whole 'certain pets will learn certain moves' thing. I'd seriously rather it not go back to that. I'm content with how Blizzard balanced the pets to be equal. Exotics have their ability specifically for BM hunters, which as a BM hunter, I'd be really upset to see an SV or MM hunter with something that should be BM only.
Not necessarily. They don't have to be damaging abilities. The main motivation behind this change for me, is for example, I have a cat and a spirit beast. As BM, there is no reason to use the cat, except if I really really like it. The cat is just plain inferior. If the cat had some different secondary ability for BM hunters only, it would give the cat a purpose.
The cat and a cat spirit beast(without exotic ability) are exactly the same. Even the stats, last I checked.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bushsbuddy

Taluwen wrote:
Bushsbuddy wrote:
The cat and a cat spirit beast(without exotic ability) are exactly the same. Even the stats, last I checked.
Yes thats what Im saying, as BM, the cat is inferior. And as MM/SV, there isn't a choice at all.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Actually, that doesn't make them inferior. Inferior would mean one is weaker than the other. Neither are weaker than each other.

LisaaraPokefarm

Bushsbuddy

No, it may not be inferior DPS wise, but it is an inferior pet. The spirit beast having an extra utilty ability makes it superior. Especially in PVP, the heal is so good, I can't really justify using another pet in most situations.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I still say "NO WAY!" because giving away the exotic ability like that, you might as well get rid of the BM tree.

Sorry but this definitely doesn't get my support.

LisaaraPokefarm

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

This is an interesting idea to make non-exotic pets more appealing to BM hunters. The thing is, the whole appeal of BM *is* the exotic pets. Exotic pets wouldn't seem nearly as exotic if the "exotic" part was the exotic ability, rather than the species/skin.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Bushsbuddy

Taluwen wrote:I still say "NO WAY!" because giving away the exotic ability like that, you might as well get rid of the BM tree.

Sorry but this definitely doesn't get my support.
What if spirit beasts remained BM only, and I gave you a cookie! :D
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I think it's a cool idea! If every pet family out there had a second ability that would require Beast Mastery to unlock. That way, a BM hunter could pick up any pet they like and still have their additional ability. I completely understand what you're saying - as BM, why would you use a cat over a spirit beast when spirit beasts have an extra heal? But if cats also had a second "unlockable" skill, perhaps the same as a spirit beast or some other useful thing, then you could use your cat if you wished. Likewise, a non-BM hunter could go get any currently exotic pet because they like it, just without the added benefit of that second skill.

The only way I could see this being a problem would be that there's already heavy competition for spirit beasts (but that's not a very good reason if you ask me). But think of it this way, rather than all those other hunters killing spirit beasts, maybe they'd be taming them instead?

I think it's a great idea, personally. As BM, I still feel like I'm gimping myself if I don't bring an exotic because I'm missing out on that extra ability that a non-exotic can't offer. But if every pet family had one, then it wouldn't matter which one I brought - they'd all have one! And who says that each family would have to have its own unique one. Just design it the way the current buff/debuff system works - make them overlap. Give spirit beasts and moths a heal. Give worms and boars(?) a tunneling/burrow ability, etc. It could work. :D

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Revynn
Realm: Area 52

Unread post by Revynn »

Taluwen wrote:If that were the case, the only way I'd support the idea is if
1. The type of exotics are limited that they can have.(Means No Spirit Beasts. That's a trademark BM pet for those who like them plus they are so limited. We have enough competition as is.)
2. Exotic Ability cannot be used.
I completely agree with you on the Exotic Ability. I also think that Blizzard wouldnt even allow such a glyph without that restriction.

As for the Spirit Beast thing, I see where your coming from on that but I don't really agree or disagree. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they put that in, nor would it bother me if they didn't. As far as I'm concerned the ability to tame cool pets is part of the flavor of the class as a whole, not necessarily just the BM spec. That's just opinion though.

In fact, the more I think about it the more I feel like a glyph like that would HAVE to be a Major as it fits more in line with the "playstyle and utility" theme of Major glyphs than it does the "conveniece and fun" theme of Minors.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

After thinking about it some more, I realized that the main thing I'm against with this plan is that I already planned my stable to cover necessary exotics and non-exotics. Were this system to be implemented, I would have no justified reason to have a cat and a spirit beast. One of them would become extraneous and have no specific niche in a raid.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Kalliope wrote:This is an interesting idea to make non-exotic pets more appealing to BM hunters. The thing is, the whole appeal of BM *is* the exotic pets. Exotic pets wouldn't seem nearly as exotic if the "exotic" part was the exotic ability, rather than the species/skin.
Personally, being BM has never been about the unique skins for me. It's always been fun to me that my pet, my companion, is almost equal in skill in battle as myself. In fact, I'm BM and only a handful of my pets in my stable are exotic. More often than not, I'd rather run with a boar or tallstrider or spider or what-have-you. I honestly wish being BM wasn't about special skins, I would rather it was about something else. What that something else should/would be, I don't know, but I was just as happy being BM back before exotics as I am now. After all, when you look at a SV or MM hunter, can you tell right off that they're a SV or MM hunter? Do they have a special something that tells you right away, "Oh look, a Survival hunter!" No.....that's why it confuses me that BM has to have a little tag that yells, "Hey, I'm BM!" Neither of the other specs do. Their signature comes out during battle, with their shots. I don't know why BM has to be any different. BM isn't about the shiny pets for me, it's about the skill and the ferocity of the pet.

But maybe that's just me.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.