WoW Petopia Community

A fun place to chat about hunter pets in the World of Warcraft.
Visit the Petopia homepage Petopia Homepage
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum Rules: Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete rules.




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Select the choice that best describes your view regarding exotic pets and the BM talent
BM and exotics are fine like they are, I don't want changes. 40%  40%  [ 35 ]
Other hunters should be able to tame exotic pet skins. 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Other hunters should be able to get exotic pet abilities. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other hunters should be able to get exotics (skins and abilities). 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Any pet should be able to be exotic with the BM talent (and all skins available to all hunters). 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
The BM talent is ok, but weak, and needs to be buffed (no pet changes). 31%  31%  [ 27 ]
BM needs a completely different 31 point talent. 15%  15%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 87
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 8:20 pm
Posts: 3200
Since there's still a lot of debate regarding exotics, thought I would run a survey to really see where people stand. I really want to see what the issue with exotics is. Is it the skins? the abilities? the talent is weak?

_________________
Account has been closed at user's request.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:59 am
Posts: 8
Realm: Stormreaver
I chose "The BM talent is ok, but weak, and needs to be buffed (no pet changes)." because exotic pets really aren't THAT different from other pets in terms of DPS wise. And yes I know bliz tried to change this. Utility wise, yes they are immensely different ranging from a knock back to an AoE to even a heal. I haven't done a whole lot with Marksman or Survival but it seems that 4 pet talent points doesn't exactly measure up to a DoT that procs LnL or an arcane shot-like ability that has great damage and refreshes serpent sting (but for 50 focus seems kind of costly). Yet my concern is null since i can't even come up with a reasonable "fix" or buff.

Edit: Grammatical errors.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:24 am 
Offline
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:38 am
Posts: 2492
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Gender: Male with both gender toons
Well, remember that the only pets ATM to have a special ability that does damage at *all* are Exotics: Worm and Chimera. The idea isn't to make Exotic pets higher in DPS, but to make them more useful in utility. And IMO, they did a good job of this. Especially since the exotic abilities aren't shared by any other pet.

_________________
Image

Come see Kurasu's stables!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:33 am 
Offline
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:35 am
Posts: 163
Realm: Thunderlord (A) Uther (H)
Gender: female
Would love to see all beast mastery hunters have the ability to tame exotic pets (at level 10, instead of intimidation), although that might involve too much effort since having bloodlust at level 13 could be a little nuts. =D But I feel that our 31 pointer is currently a bit ... lackluster, and it's annoying that you've gotta wait 59 levels after you dedicate yourself to being a beast master to tame a worm or devilsaur.

Also, give sporebats their AoE back! Give an underused (but beautiful!) pet some serious utility for a non-BM hunter in a fully-buffed raid.


</2 coppers>

_________________

Image
Thanks to Pengupuff for the sig!



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 am 
Offline
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:19 am
Posts: 14318
Location: Copenhagen- Denmark
Realm: Not playing WoW anymore :)
Gender: Female
I choose the bm talent is oki, i think tis should be exclusive for bm hunters to tame excotic... though i wish that it wasnt a talent point, more of something that came with choosing the tree.. hate that new bm hunters first will be able to tame an excitic at lvl 61,, i think that feature should be come open from the start.. in the summaries of choosing BM

_________________

Image


HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig


Flight Rising Lair



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 am 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 17411
Location: US
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
As I said in the other thread...

BM is fine as it is. Exotics should STAY BM only. It's what makes BM appealing and it's our reward for sticking with a not as good dps spec. Blizzard has done a lot to let us catch up to MM and SV. Also, SV and MM don't focus on pets so a true MM and SV lore hunter would not be going out of their way for an exotic pet. They'd stick with a normal pet that just helps them with their task or not use a pet at all. A true BM connects and relates with all pets, and learns to master the exotics. it's not just about gameplay, I feel people seem to not understand. it's about the lore too.

_________________

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:52 am 
Offline
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm
Posts: 14480
Location: WoW
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)
Gender: Female playing both genders
Taluwen wrote:
As I said in the other thread...

BM is fine as it is. Exotics should STAY BM only. It's what makes BM appealing and it's our reward for sticking with a not as good dps spec. Blizzard has done a lot to let us catch up to MM and SV. Also, SV and MM don't focus on pets so a true MM and SV lore hunter would not be going out of their way for an exotic pet. They'd stick with a normal pet that just helps them with their task or not use a pet at all. A true BM connects and relates with all pets, and learns to master the exotics. it's not just about gameplay, I feel people seem to not understand. it's about the lore too.


Fully agreed and said better than what I could phrase in the other thread. :D

The only thing I would maybe agree to change is give BM hunters the ability to tame exotics at level 10, but don't give the pets exotic abilities until later levels since bloodlust at low levels seems like it would be pretty OP and would raise a shitstorm from shamans.

Since TBW and Intimidation are lackluster and we still don't have a signature shot, exotics are sort of the defining thing for BM hunters (I don't count Ferocious Inspiration because it's a shared buff with other classes and isn't really "defining"), in my opinion.

_________________

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:
Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:47 am 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 17411
Location: US
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Taluwen wrote:
As I said in the other thread...

BM is fine as it is. Exotics should STAY BM only. It's what makes BM appealing and it's our reward for sticking with a not as good dps spec. Blizzard has done a lot to let us catch up to MM and SV. Also, SV and MM don't focus on pets so a true MM and SV lore hunter would not be going out of their way for an exotic pet. They'd stick with a normal pet that just helps them with their task or not use a pet at all. A true BM connects and relates with all pets, and learns to master the exotics. it's not just about gameplay, I feel people seem to not understand. it's about the lore too.


Fully agreed and said better than what I could phrase in the other thread. :D

The only thing I would maybe agree to change is give BM hunters the ability to tame exotics at level 10, but don't give the pets exotic abilities until later levels since bloodlust at low levels seems like it would be pretty OP and would raise a shitstorm from shamans.

Since TBW and Intimidation are lackluster and we still don't have a signature shot, exotics are sort of the defining thing for BM hunters (I don't count Ferocious Inspiration because it's a shared buff with other classes and isn't really "defining"), in my opinion.

Also while I was in the shower, I was thinkin about this.

most of the exotic families are HUGE pets, quite sizable when compared to a raptor or cat or canine. Such a sized pet is not what any true MM or SV hunter would want. A huge pet would give them away, which as an MM and SV, like a rogue they wanna stay hidden and shoot their signature arrows true and silent to kill their enemies. They're much prefer a stealthier, smaller pet like a normal feline or a canine.

_________________

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:55 am 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:21 pm
Posts: 4419
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord
Gender: Female
Wheres the "BM hunters should be able to tame exotic pets at lvl 10 and should get a new 31 talent thats more suited for a spec called Beast Master." button? :geek:

_________________

Image



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:10 am 
Offline
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:32 am
Posts: 2549
Location: Under your bed!
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.
Gender: Female
Honestly... I've always felt like BM hunters got a little gipped compared to the other two specs. >> << To me, it seems getting an improved version of Kill Command or something else of the type. Sure, the Beast Mastery talent works for it, but sometimes to me, it's just "Oh... I can tame a shiny pet. =/". It never came off as that impressive to me and most of my exotic pets are just trophies. I always thought they could have given it something better. That was really my first impression and it still is sticking on me.

_________________

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:45 am 
Offline
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm
Posts: 14480
Location: WoW
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)
Gender: Female playing both genders
Exotic pets ARE trophies--they're like a reward for sticking to the spec and forming the ultimate bond with pets.

_________________

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:
Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:53 am 
Offline
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:56 pm
Posts: 686
Location: United Kingdom
Realm: Argent Dawn
Gender: Female with Male characters
I'm happy with how BM is now.
But.
I would actually like the last talent point to be something else..
Namely the spell Rexxar has got. To call all your pets out (I think there was a forum post somewhere considering this). :D

_________________

Image
*The Hunter * The Priest*



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:01 am 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:11 pm
Posts: 17411
Location: US
Realm: Moon Guard/Icecrown/Malygos
Gender: Demigirl
erwil wrote:
I'm happy with how BM is now.
But.
I would actually like the last talent point to be something else..
Namely the spell Rexxar has got. To call all your pets out (I think there was a forum post somewhere considering this). :D

That would be awesome. It'd probably be like a 30 min cooldown and only last for 30 seconds or something.

_________________

Image
LisaaraFlight RisingFlowerfell Grove Hatchery
Sig Credits to Ashaine, Kamoodle, Sookie, Kurenio, Serenith, Ket Shi, Nili, Rongar, Britany, TheDoomcookie, Vyndara, and Vephriel!
Avatar Credits to Samskeyti, Moonlost, Lupisdarkmoon, Nili, Britany, Kasstra, Seilahyn, and Vephriel!



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:08 am 
Offline
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:32 am
Posts: 2549
Location: Under your bed!
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.
Gender: Female
TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Exotic pets ARE trophies--they're like a reward for sticking to the spec and forming the ultimate bond with pets.


Exactly... Which is why I think BM could've gotten something better. =/

erwil wrote:
I'm happy with how BM is now.
But.
I would actually like the last talent point to be something else..
Namely the spell Rexxar has got. To call all your pets out (I think there was a forum post somewhere considering this). :D


Like this. XD

_________________

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:19 am 
Offline
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:01 pm
Posts: 649
Realm: Dawnbringer
Gender: female
"The BM talent is ok, but weak, and needs to be buffed (no pet changes)."

We're still subpar. It's not as much anymore, the raids actually let me stay BM, but...

_________________

Image



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 am 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3522
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Gender: Orc
Slickrock wrote:
Since there's still a lot of debate regarding exotics, thought I would run a survey to really see where people stand. I really want to see what the issue with exotics is. Is it the skins? the abilities? the talent is weak?


Can you clarify on the last item - when you say it needs a new 31 pt talent, what are you envisioning happening to tame exotics in that last scenario (not saying you support it or not, but what was your hypothetical image)?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:34 am 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3522
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Gender: Orc
TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Exotic pets ARE trophies--they're like a reward for sticking to the spec and forming the ultimate bond with pets.


Bearing in mind that most of the really "flashy" exotics require you to be lvl 54+, regardless of whether you have the tame exotics ability per se.

I think for at least some, the idea of lowering the minimum level on the tame exotics spell, brings to mind panicstruck images of lvl 10s running around with a chromaggus or a loque... when in fact the sort of exotics a low BM hunter would have are probably (mostly) the sort that the higher level ones would consider rather... unfashionable plain. ;)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:07 pm 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 am
Posts: 14062
Location: Thedas
Realm: Dethecus
Worba wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Exotic pets ARE trophies--they're like a reward for sticking to the spec and forming the ultimate bond with pets.


Bearing in mind that most of the really "flashy" exotics require you to be lvl 54+, regardless of whether you have the tame exotics ability per se.

I think for at least some, the idea of lowering the minimum level on the tame exotics spell, brings to mind panicstruck images of lvl 10s running around with a chromaggus or a loque... when in fact the sort of exotics a low BM hunter would have are probably (mostly) the sort that the higher level ones would consider rather... unfashionable plain. ;)


The Kurken would like a word with you.

_________________

Image
Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!



Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:43 pm 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 pm
Posts: 3522
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Gender: Orc
Kalliope wrote:
Worba wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Exotic pets ARE trophies--they're like a reward for sticking to the spec and forming the ultimate bond with pets.


Bearing in mind that most of the really "flashy" exotics require you to be lvl 54+, regardless of whether you have the tame exotics ability per se.

I think for at least some, the idea of lowering the minimum level on the tame exotics spell, brings to mind panicstruck images of lvl 10s running around with a chromaggus or a loque... when in fact the sort of exotics a low BM hunter would have are probably (mostly) the sort that the higher level ones would consider rather... unfashionable plain. ;)


The Kurken would like a word with you.


See the part where I said mostly; the fact that lowbies would have one somewhat glittery exotic (which alot of high lvl BM hunters consider "puppyish" / "cutesy" anyway) takes nothing away from the fact that most of the prestige exotics are too high for lowbies to tame, skill or no.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 pm 
Offline
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:29 am
Posts: 3258
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.
I think exotics should be BM only. I specced Beast Mastery, should my beast not be more awesome than Mr. Sniper MM? That said, for an end talent, it could use a little love (Maybe another pet talent point or two).

_________________
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group