Pre Cata exotic pet survey

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.

Select the choice that best describes your view regarding exotic pets and the BM talent

BM and exotics are fine like they are, I don't want changes.
40%
Other hunters should be able to tame exotic pet skins.
3%
Other hunters should be able to get exotic pet abilities.
No votes
Other hunters should be able to get exotics (skins and abilities).
No votes
Any pet should be able to be exotic with the BM talent (and all skins available to all hunters).
10%
The BM talent is ok, but weak, and needs to be buffed (no pet changes).
31%
BM needs a completely different 31 point talent.
15%

Total votes: 87

Slickrock
Illustrious Master Hunter

Pre Cata exotic pet survey

Unread post by Slickrock »

Since there's still a lot of debate regarding exotics, thought I would run a survey to really see where people stand. I really want to see what the issue with exotics is. Is it the skins? the abilities? the talent is weak?
Account has been closed at user's request.
Spades
Realm: Stormreaver

Re: Pre Cata exotic pet survey

Unread post by Spades »

I chose "The BM talent is ok, but weak, and needs to be buffed (no pet changes)." because exotic pets really aren't THAT different from other pets in terms of DPS wise. And yes I know bliz tried to change this. Utility wise, yes they are immensely different ranging from a knock back to an AoE to even a heal. I haven't done a whole lot with Marksman or Survival but it seems that 4 pet talent points doesn't exactly measure up to a DoT that procs LnL or an arcane shot-like ability that has great damage and refreshes serpent sting (but for 50 focus seems kind of costly). Yet my concern is null since i can't even come up with a reasonable "fix" or buff.

Edit: Grammatical errors.
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Well, remember that the only pets ATM to have a special ability that does damage at *all* are Exotics: Worm and Chimera. The idea isn't to make Exotic pets higher in DPS, but to make them more useful in utility. And IMO, they did a good job of this. Especially since the exotic abilities aren't shared by any other pet.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
Tudyk
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Thunderlord (A) Uther (H)

Unread post by Tudyk »

Would love to see all beast mastery hunters have the ability to tame exotic pets (at level 10, instead of intimidation), although that might involve too much effort since having bloodlust at level 13 could be a little nuts. =D But I feel that our 31 pointer is currently a bit ... lackluster, and it's annoying that you've gotta wait 59 levels after you dedicate yourself to being a beast master to tame a worm or devilsaur.

Also, give sporebats their AoE back! Give an underused (but beautiful!) pet some serious utility for a non-BM hunter in a fully-buffed raid.

</2 coppers>

Thanks to Pengupuff for the sig!

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I choose the bm talent is oki, i think tis should be exclusive for bm hunters to tame excotic... though i wish that it wasnt a talent point, more of something that came with choosing the tree.. hate that new bm hunters first will be able to tame an excitic at lvl 61,, i think that feature should be come open from the start.. in the summaries of choosing BM

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

As I said in the other thread...

BM is fine as it is. Exotics should STAY BM only. It's what makes BM appealing and it's our reward for sticking with a not as good dps spec. Blizzard has done a lot to let us catch up to MM and SV. Also, SV and MM don't focus on pets so a true MM and SV lore hunter would not be going out of their way for an exotic pet. They'd stick with a normal pet that just helps them with their task or not use a pet at all. A true BM connects and relates with all pets, and learns to master the exotics. it's not just about gameplay, I feel people seem to not understand. it's about the lore too.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Taluwen wrote:As I said in the other thread...

BM is fine as it is. Exotics should STAY BM only. It's what makes BM appealing and it's our reward for sticking with a not as good dps spec. Blizzard has done a lot to let us catch up to MM and SV. Also, SV and MM don't focus on pets so a true MM and SV lore hunter would not be going out of their way for an exotic pet. They'd stick with a normal pet that just helps them with their task or not use a pet at all. A true BM connects and relates with all pets, and learns to master the exotics. it's not just about gameplay, I feel people seem to not understand. it's about the lore too.
Fully agreed and said better than what I could phrase in the other thread. :D

The only thing I would maybe agree to change is give BM hunters the ability to tame exotics at level 10, but don't give the pets exotic abilities until later levels since bloodlust at low levels seems like it would be pretty OP and would raise a shitstorm from shamans.

Since TBW and Intimidation are lackluster and we still don't have a signature shot, exotics are sort of the defining thing for BM hunters (I don't count Ferocious Inspiration because it's a shared buff with other classes and isn't really "defining"), in my opinion.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Taluwen wrote:As I said in the other thread...

Fully agreed and said better than what I could phrase in the other thread. :D

The only thing I would maybe agree to change is give BM hunters the ability to tame exotics at level 10, but don't give the pets exotic abilities until later levels since bloodlust at low levels seems like it would be pretty OP and would raise a shitstorm from shamans.

Since TBW and Intimidation are lackluster and we still don't have a signature shot, exotics are sort of the defining thing for BM hunters (I don't count Ferocious Inspiration because it's a shared buff with other classes and isn't really "defining"), in my opinion.
Also while I was in the shower, I was thinkin about this.

most of the exotic families are HUGE pets, quite sizable when compared to a raptor or cat or canine. Such a sized pet is not what any true MM or SV hunter would want. A huge pet would give them away, which as an MM and SV, like a rogue they wanna stay hidden and shoot their signature arrows true and silent to kill their enemies. They're much prefer a stealthier, smaller pet like a normal feline or a canine.

LisaaraPokefarm

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Wheres the "BM hunters should be able to tame exotic pets at lvl 10 and should get a new 31 talent thats more suited for a spec called Beast Master." button? :geek:

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

Honestly... I've always felt like BM hunters got a little gipped compared to the other two specs. >> << To me, it seems getting an improved version of Kill Command or something else of the type. Sure, the Beast Mastery talent works for it, but sometimes to me, it's just "Oh... I can tame a shiny pet. =/". It never came off as that impressive to me and most of my exotic pets are just trophies. I always thought they could have given it something better. That was really my first impression and it still is sticking on me.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Exotic pets ARE trophies--they're like a reward for sticking to the spec and forming the ultimate bond with pets.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

Unread post by erwil »

I'm happy with how BM is now.
But.
I would actually like the last talent point to be something else..
Namely the spell Rexxar has got. To call all your pets out (I think there was a forum post somewhere considering this). :D
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

erwil wrote:I'm happy with how BM is now.
But.
Namely the spell Rexxar has got. To call all your pets out (I think there was a forum post somewhere considering this). :D
That would be awesome. It'd probably be like a 30 min cooldown and only last for 30 seconds or something.

LisaaraPokefarm

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Exotic pets ARE trophies--they're like a reward for sticking to the spec and forming the ultimate bond with pets.
Exactly... Which is why I think BM could've gotten something better. =/
erwil wrote:I'm happy with how BM is now.
But.
Like this. XD

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

"The BM talent is ok, but weak, and needs to be buffed (no pet changes)."

We're still subpar. It's not as much anymore, the raids actually let me stay BM, but...

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Slickrock wrote:Since there's still a lot of debate regarding exotics, thought I would run a survey to really see where people stand. I really want to see what the issue with exotics is. Is it the skins? the abilities? the talent is weak?
Can you clarify on the last item - when you say it needs a new 31 pt talent, what are you envisioning happening to tame exotics in that last scenario (not saying you support it or not, but what was your hypothetical image)?
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:Exotic pets ARE trophies--they're like a reward for sticking to the spec and forming the ultimate bond with pets.
Bearing in mind that most of the really "flashy" exotics require you to be lvl 54+, regardless of whether you have the tame exotics ability per se.

I think for at least some, the idea of lowering the minimum level on the tame exotics spell, brings to mind panicstruck images of lvl 10s running around with a chromaggus or a loque... when in fact the sort of exotics a low BM hunter would have are probably (mostly) the sort that the higher level ones would consider rather... unfashionable plain. ;)
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Worba wrote:
Bearing in mind that most of the really "flashy" exotics require you to be lvl 54+, regardless of whether you have the tame exotics ability per se.

I think for at least some, the idea of lowering the minimum level on the tame exotics spell, brings to mind panicstruck images of lvl 10s running around with a chromaggus or a loque... when in fact the sort of exotics a low BM hunter would have are probably (mostly) the sort that the higher level ones would consider rather... unfashionable plain. ;)
The Kurken would like a word with you.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Kalliope wrote:
Worba wrote:

The Kurken would like a word with you.
See the part where I said mostly; the fact that lowbies would have one somewhat glittery exotic (which alot of high lvl BM hunters consider "puppyish" / "cutesy" anyway) takes nothing away from the fact that most of the prestige exotics are too high for lowbies to tame, skill or no.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I think exotics should be BM only. I specced Beast Mastery, should my beast not be more awesome than Mr. Sniper MM? That said, for an end talent, it could use a little love (Maybe another pet talent point or two).
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!