Request for Flesh Beast

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Request for Flesh Beast

Unread post by Kalliope »

Worba wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
Worba wrote:I think the best "fit" for flesh beasts as pets would probably be as the shadow priest 41 pt talent in the next expansion;

Summon Greater Fiend - you get a larger, permanent shadow fiend to keep you company and do your bidding.
Heh, gonna have to say no to that one, considering how hard regular shadowfiends hit currently. Spriests already don't have mana issues. They have no need to become yet another pet class.
Yeah, except I was talking about putting in the 41 pt slot, not the 31 (gotta figure their level 90 talent is going to be just as powerful whatever form it takes).
Yes, I noticed you suggested it as a 41 point talent. I still don't think it's necessary for spriests to be another pet class. :P

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

And that's a valid comment; I was responding to the overpower comment.
Calomel
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Calomel »

Worba wrote:Wonderfully horrible. :twisted:

I think the best "fit" for flesh beasts as pets would probably be as the shadow priest 41 pt talent in the next expansion;

Summon Greater Fiend - you get a larger, permanent shadow fiend to keep you company and do your bidding.
It's a good thing that I'm Holy! :headbang:

But if one of those things came at me in PvP I'd scream like the little girl I am, bubble and RUN.

Tanin - Troll - Beast Master - Icecrown, US
Currently Hunting: ...for the pacifier...

Kalliope

Worba wrote:And that's a valid comment; I was responding to the overpower comment.
It would be ridiculous in PvP, hence the overpowered part. :D

YouTube Edition

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Kalliope wrote:
Worba wrote:And that's a valid comment; I was responding to the overpower comment.
Ah, so you know how this particular 41 pt talent and lvl 86-90 shadow priest spells all compare against those of the other classes? :lol:
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Calomel wrote:
Worba wrote:Wonderfully horrible. :twisted:

I think the best "fit" for flesh beasts as pets would probably be as the shadow priest 41 pt talent in the next expansion;

It's a good thing that I'm Holy! :headbang:

But if one of those things came at me in PvP I'd scream like the little girl I am, bubble and RUN.
Aww... maybe it just wanted a hug? :P
Kalliope

Worba wrote:
Kalliope wrote:
Ah, so you know how this particular 41 pt talent and lvl 86-90 shadow priest spells all compare against those of the other classes? :lol:
A permanent source of reliable mana gain combined with replenishment sounds pretty overpowered to me.

And I still stand by the base reasoning that the game does not need another class with a permanent pet. :P

YouTube Edition

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Kalliope wrote:A permanent source of reliable mana gain combined with replenishment sounds pretty overpowered to me.

And I still stand by the base reasoning that the game does not need another class with a permanent pet. :P
Fair enough, bearing in mind that a perma-fiend could have virtually any powers, according to where the devs want spriests to fit into the overall lvl 90 talent / spell picture, which likely will be a very different makeup than the picture we currently inhabit...

Also bear in mind when they add new end-tier talents, they often look to add abilities that shake things up and cause a real sea change to the previously accepted wisdom on the class. I would argue this is part of what makes their expansions so successful... just when we're all starting to think we've "mastered" our favorite classes, Blizzard sends us back to school. :D

But like I said, if you don't like the idea of having another pet class, there's not a thing wrong with that - it's like how I'd rather not see hunters with horses or stags for pets; I have no ironclad / unassailable basis for that, it's just a loose feeling, but still perfectly valid.
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

I don't think a perma-pet fits terribly well with the current shadow priest theme anyway. They mess with your mind, can bend your will to their own very temporarily. Nothing in there indicates any leanings towards a perma-pet. And I rather think my priest would be quite irritated to suddenly get saddled with one of those on a permanent basis. He's a psychiatrist, damn it...not a warlock. :lol:

(Granted, due to how many minipets he has, he is also a part-time zookeeper...but those are different.)

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Indeed, I wouldn't want a pet for my priest either. I think it was enough with just hunters and warlocks having pets, giving them to EVERY class is... Silly. Ridicolous. Stupid. Like pallies. They get... Summon Angel? Okay... That's...

And druids with dryads? No thank you. The ents are MORE than enough. Every class in the game does not need a pet. There are a LOT of players that are happier without a pet at all. This is a hunterpet forum, so I realize we're not overrepresented, but among the overall MM and SV community, and the other classes as well, a lot of people don't like pets. It's a clunky mechanic, and some people have serious trouble concentrating on more than their own character. Imagine something that takes VERY quick reactions, timing on spells, various procs, whatever. And then imagine managing a pet added to that. It would be overwhelming.

TLDR: SPriests don't need pets. No other class/spec is currently in need of a pet.

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Obviously they are currently able to summon fiends on a short term basis, so the relationship already exists in some form, and so at least from an RP'ing perspective it's therefore not at all beyond the pale to assume that sooner or later at least some shadow priests would explore the possibility of taking it one step farther.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Saturo wrote:Indeed, I wouldn't want a pet for my priest either. I think it was enough with just hunters and warlocks having pets, giving them to EVERY class is... Silly. Ridicolous. Stupid. Like pallies. They get... Summon Angel? Okay... That's...

And druids with dryads? No thank you. The ents are MORE than enough. Every class in the game does not need a pet. There are a LOT of players that are happier without a pet at all. This is a hunterpet forum, so I realize we're not overrepresented, but among the overall MM and SV community, and the other classes as well, a lot of people don't like pets. It's a clunky mechanic, and some people have serious trouble concentrating on more than their own character. Imagine something that takes VERY quick reactions, timing on spells, various procs, whatever. And then imagine managing a pet added to that. It would be overwhelming.

TLDR: SPriests don't need pets. No other class/spec is currently in need of a pet.
Were we talking about adding a pet to the entire priest class, or just one of its specs?
Warfish
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Maelstrom

Unread post by Warfish »

Well, now that the thread is truly veered off-topic....

....I may be in the minority, but I've always loved the idea of all classes having one "pet capable" talent tree. Only a few should have default pets (Hunter/Warlock). The others would choose to be a "Pet Mage", "Elemental Master Shaman", "Angelic Paladin", "Squad Master Warrior" etc.

Perhaps hard to do in a three-tree system, I suppose, and obviously I am biased, given the only classes in WoW I enjoy are Hunter Main (pets), Warlock (pets) and Death Knight (Unholy/pet).

Of course, I'm also one who supports Warlocks having a "bind" abillity similar to Hunters "tame", so they can pick and choose Demon skins. Hell, I'd give DK's a similar one to choose an Undead Skin too.

Skins are just skins, after all, as long as functionality isn't overpowered, it's really just aethetics when it comes down to it.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Worba wrote:
Saturo wrote:Indeed, I wouldn't want a pet for my priest either. I think it was enough with just hunters and warlocks having pets, giving them to EVERY class is... Silly. Ridicolous. Stupid. Like pallies. They get... Summon Angel? Okay... That's...

Were we talking about adding a pet to the entire priest class, or just one of its specs?
Just the Shadow spec, I believe, but my argument is valid regardless. Adding a permanent pet to just Shadowpriests would make them... What? Frost Mages that deal shadowdamage? Because right now, both Frost and Shadow focus heavily on slows, and mana efficiency / regen. Adding a pet would make them largely the same. If it's for the whole priest class, well, it doesn't make sense for a Holy or Disc priest to run around with something as arguably vile and evil as a fleshbeast. And my other argument still stands:

Every class/spec does not need a pet.

EDIT: And Warfish, I totally want different skins for my ghouls and demons too. That's something I really support. I just think that some classes shouldn't HAVE pets at all.

"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Warfish wrote:Well, now that the thread is truly veered off-topic....
Not at all - the model in question is already used in one of the shadow priest spell effects, so that makes them a logical candidate for having fiends as a pet; arguably the most logical.
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Saturo wrote:And my other argument still stands:

Who are you arguing with here? Is someone pushing to give a pet to every class / spec?
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

Worba wrote:

Who are you arguing with here? Is someone pushing to give a pet to every class / spec?
Well, I can name a number of people, such as the ones asking for a permanent SPRiest pet, the druid dryad pet people, and those. It's also a general statement of my opinion on the matters of "This class should totally get this as a pet!".

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Saturo wrote:
Worba wrote:

Well, I can name a number of people, such as the ones asking for a permanent SPRiest pet, the druid dryad pet people, and those. It's also a general statement of my opinion on the matters of "This class should totally get this as a pet!".
Unless you can find someone who actually proposed that every spec of every class should have its own pet, that is a strawman argument.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

No, it is not. My argument is, "Some classes do not need pets. Some should have pets, as it makes sense, but most simply should not.". I just find it easier to say that not every class should have a pet.

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Saturo wrote:No, it is not. My argument is, "Some classes do not need pets. Some should have pets, as it makes sense, but most simply should not.". I just find it easier to say that not every class should have a pet.
Mmhmm.

And I stand by my assertion that world peace is better than world war IV, that babies should be cared for, and that mean people suck.