Let's get serious - rotation time

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Slickrock2
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Let's get serious - rotation time

Unread post by Slickrock2 »

With 4.0.1 coming very soon, either this Tuesday or next , lets's talk rotations. There's a pretty good discussion going on over at EJ finally regarding priority, but it's probably good to have a discussion here, where it's safer to ask questions . . :D

Myself, I'm going to work on the rotation first without the focus dumps (seems odd that we have those to and not just our pets) and then work those in once I have a feel for it...

So , beta testers... Let's here it... :)
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: Let's get serious - rotation time

Unread post by Kalliope »

Our pets don't actually have focus dumps anymore. Those are their main damage abilities now.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

What happened to Slickrock1? o.O

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Saturo wrote:What happened to Slickrock1? o.O
:lol: :mrgreen:

bluddy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by bluddy »

...i ate him... sorry :(
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Rotation? dont we just spam whatevers not on cooldowns?

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

We do not. We time things to make sure that our Big Hitter can be used immediately as it comes off cd, which means juggling arcane shots with steady/cobra, and it's giving me headaches on beta atm.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

thats probably why my dps sucks...I think I just spam steadyshot with thr occasional arcane, and sometimes scorpion. BW whenever thats free...bust mostly spam steady... ... I have no idea on rotations for any of my classes ^^;

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Curumor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: The Maelstrom

Unread post by Curumor »

Makoes wrote:thats probably why my dps sucks...I think I just spam steadyshot with thr occasional arcane, and sometimes scorpion. BW whenever thats free...bust mostly spam steady... ... I have no idea on rotations for any of my classes ^^;
It's quite easy, really. :)
You simply fire your shots based on their priority and availability.

For example:
1: Killshot
2: Serpent Sting
3: Aimed/Multi Shot
4: Steady Shot
5: Arcane Shot

So Killshot is always first prio when it can be used. Then comes Serpent Sting, if it's not already up. Then Aimed/Multi whenever that's off CD, then Steady and finally Arcane Shot.
Then you just use BW, Rapid Fire and KC whenever you can.
And that's all there is too it. ^^
The Insect Man
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by The Insect Man »

er... this is a beta thread, ain't it? You sound as though you're talking about live with a mana economy, rather than beta with the focus shenanigans. For one thing, only MM have aimed shot, and for MM you need CHimera in there somewhere.
ummeiko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Illidan / Cho'gall / Blackhand

Unread post by ummeiko »

For bm, I tend to go as such:
Serpent
Arcane
Kill command
Arcane x 2
Cobra
Kill com
Cobra x 2
Kill com
Arcane x 2
Cobra
Kill comand
Cobra x2
etc

Kill shot takes priority when it's up.
Followed by kill command, so I try to work so that focus is up whenever cooldown is up.
Serpent shouldn't need refreshing b/c of cobra.
Arcane vs cobra depending on whether or not I will have 50 focus when kc is up.
During bw I just spam arcane in between kill commands.

No I don't have hardcore numbers to back it all up, but it seems to work as far as resource management. If nothing else it might be a decent starting point.

Rikaku
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Muradin

Unread post by Rikaku »

Really there's no final definitive rotation set in beta yet. Every other day a new build makes the priorities different, so to worry about the stuff now seems a bit unnecessary because by next week we'll have a new build and new numbers XD

TobiasX
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by TobiasX »

It's going to depend on how the final build turns out but I *think* it will be a priority system similar to this:

1. Kill Shot.
2. Serpent Sting (replaced by Cobra Shot refresh for BM if Serpent Sting is currently on the target and has 5 seconds or less on its remaining duration).
3. Focus Fire (5 stacks) (BM only) / Master Marksman Proc Aimed Shot (MM only) / Lock and Load Proc Double Explosive Shot (SV only).
4. Bestial Wrath (BM only) / Fervor (if under the effect of Bestial Wrath and below 45 Focus) (BM only) / Explosive Shot (SV only).
5. Kill Command (BM only) / Chimera Shot (MM only) / Black Arrow (SV only) .
6. Arcane Shot (when your next Steady / Cobra shot will focus cap you or under the effect of Bestial Wrath).
7. Steady Shot Spam / Cobrat Shot Spam, depending on spec.

That should cover every spell you'll want to use in your standard rotation regardless of talent tree chosen.
Last edited by TobiasX on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:30 am, edited 12 times in total.
Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

TobiasX wrote:That should cover every spell you'll want to use in your standard rotation regardless of talent tree chosen. Not sure where to put Fervor atm.
Fervor will likely be used to avoid casting Cobra while under the effects of Bestial Wrath (it means a guaranteed Wild Hunt hit for the pet, as well as more Arcane Shots for the Hunter).
Nimizar
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore - US

Unread post by Nimizar »

Also, if Blizz get their scaling right (most likely through the masteries, where BM's mastery affects KC, but the MM and SV masteries don't), then only BM hunters should be using KC in their regular rotations.

SV currently has a use for it to fill the gap in LnL procs (to avoid clipping the first Explosive Shot), but hopefully Blizz will fix LnL to not affect Arcane Shot at some point (it used to be necessary since SV hunters could get LnL before they got Explosive Shot, but that is no longer the case).
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

Unread post by Sukurachi »

Wait a second.
Have they changed how Kill Shot works?

How can you "open" with Kill Shot when it requires your target be at or below 20% health?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Sukurachi, the priority system doesn't necessarily mean you will go in that order, it just means that Kill Shot, being at the top of the list, should always be the first thing to be cast if it's available. That list is not a rotation, it's a priority. :) So if Kill Shot is not available, you would use Serpent Sting, etc, etc, etc.
Sinnu
Realm: Runetotem

Unread post by Sinnu »

Sukurachi wrote: How can you "open" with Kill Shot when it requires your target be at or below 20% health?
Those are priority lists. Sort of a

Can I cast #1? If not, proceed to #2.
Can I cast #2? If not, proceed to #3.
And so forth.

Kill shot will still be rarely fired, but it should always be fired whenever it can be fired, and thats why its number 1 on those lists.
TobiasX
Realm: Doomhammer EU

Unread post by TobiasX »

Vephriel wrote:Sukurachi, the priority system doesn't necessarily mean you will go in that order, it just means that Kill Shot, being at the top of the list, should always be the first thing to be cast if it's available. That list is not a rotation, it's a priority. :) So if Kill Shot is not available, you would use Serpent Sting, etc, etc, etc.
Exactly.
Priority 1. Kill Shot if you can Kill Shot.
Priority 2. If you cannot Kill Shot, Serpent Sting (or Cobra Shot if Serpent Sting has 5 seconds or less left).
Priority 3. If you cannot Kill Shot, and Serpent Sting is already on the target, then...

Edited a few times for clarity.
Nimizar wrote:Also, if Blizz get their scaling right (most likely through the masteries, where BM's mastery affects KC, but the MM and SV masteries don't), then only BM hunters should be using KC in their regular rotations.
I'll move KC to 4 then and bump up BW to it's own line as KC is essentially the "Spec Shot with a cooldown" for BM.
Nimizar wrote:
TobiasX wrote:That should cover every spell you'll want to use in your standard rotation regardless of talent tree chosen. Not sure where to put Fervor atm.
Fervor will likely be used to avoid casting Cobra while under the effects of Bestial Wrath (it means a guaranteed Wild Hunt hit for the pet, as well as more Arcane Shots for the Hunter).
Makes sense, considering Fervor has double the cooldown of BW.

Also moved Explosive Shot (without LnL proc) up to simplify the list a little and now in color :)
Last edited by TobiasX on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

i never used rotation or priority on Tårnfalk.. but then again.. i dont raid.. and in grps im aroud 4k -5k depending on what pet im using.. so im satisfied :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig