Patch 4.0.1 a Foreshadow to Muti-pets?

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Re: Patch 4.0.1 a Foreshadow to Muti-pets?

Unread post by Worba »

Nimizar wrote:As others have pointed out, warlocks can actually have a pet+guardian out rather than multiple pets. I believe the enhancement shaman situation is similar (wolves are real pets, elementals are guardians).

Hunters actually having multiple pets is unlikely to ever happen. Being able to call a second pet as a guardian is a possibility, but I doubt such a pet would brings its family abilities with it in that situation (i.e. it would just be a DPS CD). Given that BM already has BW/TBW and Fervor as DPS cooldowns, it's unlikely Blizz would give us another one.
From a programming perspective this would simply entail stacking two pet bars instead of one... but I agree they probably wouldn't saddle any class with that kind of complexity, at least at this stage in wow's development cycle*, however I digress - what I was suggesting would slave all of your various pets onto the same pet bar, e.g. they behave as a pack, like the teams of pet earthen that assist you vs the iron giants in storm peaks.

*Although, I have a sneaking suspicion that eventually when they raise the cap to 100, they may allow you to group with 1-2 of your other characters and control it as a mini-party, whether that will happen is anyone's guess but I'm pretty much certain the idea has at least been discussed by now, behind the scenes...
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

Well if Blizz would not give us multiple pets but might be open to guardians... how about a Call Guardians kind of talent, where you summon Guardian copies of your current pet? Your pet still functions as it should, the Guardians function as Spirit Wolves/Treants/that warlock ebon thing... Limited duration, limited abilities, spawned on defensive. I'd take it. :D

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Simplest way of doing it would be to have a limited duration spell with CD (say 20 sec duration with 5 min CD or etc), that lets you summon several pets at once - you have one "generic" pet bar to control them in same manner as the earthen in storm peaks; it contains only the basic commands plus growl, meaning they all attack the same target, sit on same spot, etc however in combat they would use all of their abilities according to internal AI... you just wouldn't be able to micromanage them in that state the way you can with just one pet out.

Would not replace normal one-pet BM huntering, this is just a new CD spell you could burn in emergency...
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

That's exactly what I meant Worba, though my idea was to still have the main pet function as normal.

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Sarayana wrote:That's exactly what I meant Worba, though my idea was to still have the main pet function as normal.
Okay, for some reason I was thinking you were talking about having 1 normal pet and then a single guardian. Either way I think the key to making multi-pet work lies in "dumbing down" the controls needed, and you certainly can't get any simpler than a guardian! :)
bloodysam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Scryers!

Unread post by bloodysam »

What if they have hunters a abilty lke you guys were saying, a ghost wolf (a guardian) and it is like a dead pet you had once so they could name it too like Ol Buddy or something

Born a lonewolf...choosen to be with pets!
Thanks for the awwsome signature Pooksie!!
Ryai
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Ryai »

Nimizar wrote:As others have pointed out, warlocks can actually have a pet+guardian out rather than multiple pets. I believe the enhancement shaman situation is similar (wolves are real pets, elementals are guardians).

Hunters actually having multiple pets is unlikely to ever happen. Being able to call a second pet as a guardian is a possibility, but I doubt such a pet would brings its family abilities with it in that situation (i.e. it would just be a DPS CD). Given that BM already has BW/TBW and Fervor as DPS cooldowns, it's unlikely Blizz would give us another one.
And? Originally the Infernal and Doomguard were SUMMONS not guardians! They had their own attacks and lasted a lot longer than 45 seconds, yet Blizzard switched them up and about! And my lock is affliction and can still summon an infernal or doomguard, and I have and do for testing/getting used to having this feature.

Hunters could easily have a random pet summoned from their stables as a guardian, or a random pet skin period. IE Devilsaur, Guardian of *name* or Hyena, Guardian of *name*, etc etc. That has a CD of 2/3 minures [not affected by ,longevity if 2 min cd], and it doesn't bring buffs or anything it just brings extra damage/burst.

Oh also, did you forget, TBW and BW was nerfed?

:D
Anyia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Jubei'Thos (US/Oceania)

Unread post by Anyia »

I'd still like to see a Baby Raptor Pack Attack* as the top BM talent. Or squirrels. Squirrels of Doom would satisfy me too! :D

*) A'la the Subject Nine quest.
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

The Insect Man wrote:
Worba wrote: Yes indeed. Letting BM hunters have multiple pets might work for the new 41 pt talent, as long as they gave it a short enough duration and a long enough cooldown.
This is good thinking - a spirit-wolf style ability where you had multiple pets out, all controlled on the same bar, for the same sort oif duration, sounds plausible as a BM top talent - could be duplicates of your current pet or others from stable or however you wanted to do it. Or could work like army of the dead where they go nuts, try to tank everything and wipe the raid with their craziness. :)
This is somthing I hve always seen as a possibilty as well. I think the logistics of having two pets out at all times maybe be hard (not sure impossible but deffinalty hard to program and balence) However the abilty to introdice it as a "sprit wolfs", "tree of life", "mirror image" type cooldown spell could definalty be instituted somehow.

Even if it simply called your 1st and 2and pet,
Both pets only do 70% of thier damage (so and extra 40% pet damage from the combined 2),
Drop their family special attack (making them easier to code during the spell / similar to sprit wolves)
Maybe increased movment speed of the hunter and pets by 20% (Frenzied pack hunting)
And I'd say can not be used at the same time as BW or would probably be too OP.

As for the army of the dead type spell will all your pets, Omg that would be just soooo amazing, but one can dream :lol:

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

I am personally LOVING the warlock ability to have multiple pets/guardians out at once, with my main demon, Infernal/Doomguard and Bane of Doom Imp. Emielee's Demonlogy too, so with Metamorphosis technically there's 4 demons on the field :)

A "Summon the Pack" type ability to summon our stabled pets as guardians, Army of the Dead-style, would be beyond awesome, but it's not very likely that Blizzard would ever implement it. However, with other classes able to have multiple "extra" pets out at once, I really don't see why we couldn't have an extra pet summoned as a guardian for a limited amount of time. In fact, it seems only fair! It would definately make a better BM spec talent than Immobilzation, IMO.

Well, at least Engineer hunters can always summon their various creations (i.e. Mechnical Dragonlings) at the same time as their pets, giving them a little bit of a multi-pet feeling. Sucks for us non-Engineers though.

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

Gelannerai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Gelannerai »

I really don't see why this would be so far fetched. There's the aforementioned Warlock example, and there's also Unholy Death Knights having their ghoul, gargoyle, and Army out at the same time giving a huge number of "pets" in the fight all at once. Where's the problem?
Worba

Unread post by Worba »

Spiritbinder wrote:
The Insect Man wrote:
Worba wrote: Yes indeed. Letting BM hunters have multiple pets might work for the new 41 pt talent, as long as they gave it a short enough duration and a long enough cooldown.
This is good thinking - a spirit-wolf style ability where you had multiple pets out, all controlled on the same bar, for the same sort oif duration, sounds plausible as a BM top talent - could be duplicates of your current pet or others from stable or however you wanted to do it. Or could work like army of the dead where they go nuts, try to tank everything and wipe the raid with their craziness. :)
This is somthing I hve always seen as a possibilty as well. I think the logistics of having two pets out at all times maybe be hard (not sure impossible but deffinalty hard to program and balence) However the abilty to introdice it as a "sprit wolfs", "tree of life", "mirror image" type cooldown spell could definalty be instituted somehow.

Even if it simply called your 1st and 2and pet,
Both pets only do 70% of thier damage (so and extra 40% pet damage from the combined 2),
Drop their family special attack (making them easier to code during the spell / similar to sprit wolves)
Maybe increased movment speed of the hunter and pets by 20% (Frenzied pack hunting)
And I'd say can not be used at the same time as BW or would probably be too OP.

As for the army of the dead type spell will all your pets, Omg that would be just soooo amazing, but one can dream :lol:
Honestly, they've got to do something exciting with BM between now and lvl 100 (probably a couple of somethings, in fact), so why not? :)