A fair question to all Hunters/Huntresses

Forum rules
Be respectful of others or else. Read the details.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Re: A fair question to all Hunters/Huntresses

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Slickrock wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:I also don't have a problem using a worm as a pet, both as a tank and for AoE,
How are you tanking with it with the aggro dump?
Misdirect for the win. Not to mention, if it dies before they get a chance to make it to me, who cares?

I'm just saying, I don't have a problem with it. In fact, my worm pet was the only tank pet I tried that I could nearly down Moroes in Kara with, aggro dump and all. I'm even thinking about changing one of my major glyphs to the MD one to make it even easier on myself. Just my opinion and my experiences with it. I don't have issues with it.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:
Slickrock wrote:
TygerDarkstorm wrote:I also don't have a problem using a worm as a pet, both as a tank and for AoE,
How are you tanking with it with the aggro dump?
Misdirect for the win. Not to mention, if it dies before they get a chance to make it to me, who cares?
Yeah this. I love my Scatha, he holds aggro like a champ and does great aoe on those fights when I don't need tanking because things die before they get to me. You know - MD -> MS -> Burrow. :D Oh hey, that's a place where I looooove the new instant multishot! Being able to chain MS with MD up on pet (continuously thanks to the glyph) is fantastic!

Oh, and not having any downtime. I loooooove not needing to either switch to viper or have to drink. I'm running Stratholme to farm pristine black diamonds for a friend, and I don't stop a single time during the entire run, because I DON'T HAVE TO DRINK!!!! :D :D :D

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Altheaus
Realm: Lightnings blade

Unread post by Altheaus »

Ikult wrote:Personally, I'm SO happy that Volley is gone.
Using one button every 4-5secs and racing to the top of the DPS charts is BORING. AS. YOUKNOWWHAT.

The game is trending more toward Vanilla / early BC now (YAY).
I never, ever, used Volley until mid-BC. Volley was a waste of mana when I could be trapping / Distracting shotting / kiting / etc. As I saw it, a hunter's unique job was NOT to aoe dps- it was to watch the flow of battle, kite important bosses or unimportant trash, make sure the tank kept threat, and to save the healer if they were getting attacked (normally by sacrificing your pet, and sometimes yourself).

I was so sick of Misdirecting the tank, Volley'ing trash. MD, Volley. MD, Volley. There was no trapping, no kiting, no shot rotation except on lengthy bosses, no pet management. It was getting very discouraging.

I am MUCH happier now. So, so happy. I will never return to the top of dps charts, especially as BM, but you know what I'll be doing? Saving that awesome dps mage from that add, so he can aoe the trash; or save the healer so we don't wipe on the boss.

Yup, that's me, I'm FINALLY returning to my true love for this class- the Guardian of the Party!

100% with you on that.. I remeber being told that was my job in BC and I loved ribbing the Clothies that I was saving their hides time and again.. I have allways prefered the fight where I have somthing other to do then to just nuke the boss. Yeah it fills the soul with goodness hammering the mages into second, but what feels better IS kiteing that add, IS saving the healer, IS offtanking for those few seconds to give the healers and tanks that few moments of breathing space. Hunters are the greater class as we all know ^^
Last edited by Altheaus on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Sarayana wrote: Yeah this. I love my Scatha, he holds aggro like a champ and does great aoe on those fights when I don't need tanking because things die before they get to me. You know - MD -> MS -> Burrow. :D Oh hey, that's a place where I looooove the new instant multishot! Being able to chain MS with MD up on pet (continuously thanks to the glyph) is fantastic!

Oh, and not having any downtime. I loooooove not needing to either switch to viper or have to drink. I'm running Stratholme to farm pristine black diamonds for a friend, and I don't stop a single time during the entire run, because I DON'T HAVE TO DRINK!!!! :D :D :D
Couldn't have said it better myself. :lol:

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I miss volley more for having an aoe that had a nice visual...like how mages/locks/druids have those awsome death from above stuff...and I am just sad hunters lost thiers and had it replaced with a single cast multi-shot, that is visaully bland.

that and what multi-shot is now, is really what it should have been before. (but thats just my opinion)

As for focus, I love it! but like mania, I am stuck in the bad habit of steadyshot spamming, I forget arcane/kc

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Makoes wrote:I miss volley more for having an aoe that had a nice visual...like how mages/locks/druids have those awsome death from above stuff...and I am just sad hunters lost thiers and had it replaced with a single cast multi-shot, that is visaully bland.
This brings up a good point....

Hunters don't strike me as being a class that needs nice visuals. We're more under the radar, like rogues. We don't need the flashy stuff, nor do we really crave it. We strike from the shadows. We are deadly.

:D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Kalliope wrote:
Makoes wrote:I miss volley more for having an aoe that had a nice visual...like how mages/locks/druids have those awsome death from above stuff...and I am just sad hunters lost thiers and had it replaced with a single cast multi-shot, that is visaully bland.
This brings up a good point....

Hunters don't strike me as being a class that needs nice visuals. We're more under the radar, like rogues. We don't need the flashy stuff, nor do we really crave it. We strike from the shadows. We are deadly.

:D
Have to agree with Kalli here. Hunters aren't really meant to be a flashy class. We're rangers, our job is to take things out from behind the group, staying low, etc. I think it would be pretty cool if one of our trees was dedicated to sniping, but I'll live with what we have.

It's expected for the magic using classes to have flashy looking abilities; magic is flashy, shooting things, however, is not.

[/center]
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I also agree with that assessment. :) Magic users do seem more apt for having the flashy abilities, espeically AoE.
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I miss volley a little but I'm ecstatic over the changes. :3

There's only a handful actually QQing about the changes but they tend to be much louder than those of use content with them. I've found a good way, as BM, to manage my focus. And we actually do have to pay attention! hehe.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Well, after doing about 15 heroics today leveling pets, I don't miss mana at all, and my rotation is solid enough that focus really isn't an issue. Once we get some of the buffs from the latest beta build, dps will be in line as well.

Regarding volley, well, I'll miss an AOE for trash pulls, but will just have to deal with it. It's not so much QQ, but I guess we are back to not being allowed to criticize Blizz again, so anything negative is QQ... All hail Blizz.. ;-)
Account has been closed at user's request.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

In the very few occasions I've actually used my 85 hunter on the Beta for killing things (I'm mostly just exploring and taming), I've found that Focus works even smoother in that level range, so I think it will get better as we move forward in Cataclysm. :)
Slickrock

Unread post by Slickrock »

Vephriel wrote:In the very few occasions I've actually used my 85 hunter on the Beta for killing things (I'm mostly just exploring and taming), I've found that Focus works even smoother in that level range, so I think it will get better as we move forward in Cataclysm. :)
Yeah, I think those complaining about focus are really complaining about new shot rotations....
Account has been closed at user's request.
Cerah
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Alterac Mtns, Maelstrom, Nesingwary, Silver Hand

Unread post by Cerah »

Add me to the list of worm lovers! My Daggoth is absolutely OWNING Sethekk Halls, making mount farming a relatively easy, fun task. I'll have to try him out in Magister's Terrace now too. Burrow ftw!

I do miss EoTB because that was just a fun ability to have, not to mention that with cats/spirit beasts, you could make quite the effective little spy. Smaller flying pets made good scouts too, especially for small pet/rare mob farming (could just send your pet out in old world to see if mobs have respawned yet). I thought it was an especially "huntery" ability too, one that really showed your connection with your pet, being able to see through their eyes.

I thought I would hate not having volley, since I started playing only about a year after WotLK came out, so I'm used to AoE being *the* thing to do in dungeons/raids. However, I'm liking the new multi-shot much more. It's definately the most focus-intensive ability -- I find myself going multi-shot, mulit-shot, multi-shot, Steady shot, steady shot, multi-shot -- but I think Aspect of the Fox will probably help a great deal with that. As I mentioned above, soloing, I usually use my worm now, and for groups, well, it's the other group members' jobs to do big AoE blasts.

The ultimate trump card is the expanded stables. No more agonizing over pet choices! We're free to experiment, go out and tame all the pets we ever wanted but didn't have the slots for! I'll put up with any other changes, as long as we get to keep our new stables!

Visit Pop Seagull Publishing
Original Canadian Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror
Sleep is Temporary. Reading is Forever!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I just don't like what they did with MM thats all :/ I liked aimed shot when i could use it more often lol.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

They just took it back to what it was originally. At least they allowed us other ways to apply its debuff, either through pets or widow venom.

[/center]
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:They just took it back to what it was originally. At least they allowed us other ways to apply its debuff, either through pets or widow venom.
^ This

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

So I still don't like it.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I HATE the change to Volley(Or removal, more so...) It is rather annoying when you get into a large group of enemies to burn (Not in a dungeon), and having to press Multi twelve times to do the equivalent of what I was able to do before... To burn down the mobs now I have to run in and plant Exp. Trap and Snake trap, Hit multi as much as possible (While starving for focus) MD to my pet, AND hit Burrow/FrostStorm. All that just seems assenine when a WL or Mage can do their exact replica of Volley, plus whatever else, and they don't/won't get that taken away.

I do love the focus change however. It feels so much better than mana IMHO

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Selethias
Realm: Blackhand

Unread post by Selethias »

Volley before patch .. maybe 10k on a massive pack and mana gone fast.

Multishot after patch .. 47k dps in Sindragosa room against all whelp packs (no joke) and I still had 1/2 focus for first of the mini bosses

Now, all that said

I still suck compared to some hunters I have rolled with at comparable gear levels. I can roll 11k in ICC, they can roll 14k

I
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Personally, I like the instant cast multi-shot so much better than volley. I'm not a huge fan of the targeted AoE abilities because they're kind of a pain, and maintaining a channel when you need to move sucks. Multi-shot as our AoE seems so much more fitting, and we can use it on the move; that's a huge plus in my opinion.

[/center]