Curious about your pet's gender? Here's how to find out!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
nirvana
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Dalaran US

Re: Curious about your pet's gender? Here's how to find out!

Unread post by nirvana »

I believe gender is typically assigned by model.

Shango used to have the dreadsaber model, which was labeled female, and they apparently never changed it when they changed his model.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I think all Proto drakes are male.

Broodmother Silvina's considered a boy. xD

But yeah...seems to be completely random and inconsistent. I wouldn't put much stock in things unless you want to. x)
Kuraine
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Kuraine »

Just tried that macro out, but I'm camping Aeonaxx and don't want to leave too far from my camping spot to find a stable, so I just tried it on my active pets and unfortunately they all came up as unknown. :/ That would be Sambas, Loque'nahak, King Krush and Red Madexx.

I'll test it on my other pets later.

Although I'd love to know where on earth that macro came from...
Tahlian wrote:Pets being assigned genders is in no way consistent, as it would make no sense for Har'koa, a snow leopard goddess to have a female mate. Biology just doesn't work that way.
Oh god, the amount of times I've had arguments with idiots about this just because they wanted to believe Loque'nahak was female. I used to believe Loque was a female but that was only before I realised who Har'koa was. Animals/animal-gods wouldn't be lesbians, I seriously doubt, because otherwise how did the offspring of Har'koa come to be? Although she could have been ra-- D:

Ex-WoW player since 24-09-11. It's time to move on now. GW2, here I come.
The Stables - 110 Mounts

Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

Tahlian wrote:Pets being assigned genders is in no way consistent, as it would make no sense for Har'koa, a snow leopard goddess to have a female mate. Biology just doesn't work that way.

My loques named after Bastet (egyptian godess) cause it sounded awesome
I agree loque is a male, but the game reads him as female (atleast my pet)
Lesbian cats, that can successfully mate! Blizzard you sly dogs.

....Who knows? maybe loques a hermaphrodite, OOoOoOoo.... well gods and godesses are supposed to be genderless. hmm that would make sense

signature thanks to Kurieno
Ara
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn-EU, Kilrogg-EU

Unread post by Ara »

Hmmm, I would like to check if my wolf Mitchi is a male or female...but I would go D: T__T if he turned out to be the opposite.
Still...mebbe I should check it,just for fun...=P

Worba
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

Yes ^

Most of these were originally designed as a generic, non-lore related skin, which would explain why most show gender "unknown"...

And along the same lines, Loque's being "female" is probably the result of the devs copying Loq from Harkoa's template.
Kuraine
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kuraine »

Worba wrote:And along the same lines, Loque's being "female" is probably the result of the devs copying Loq from Harkoa's template.
Most likely to be this.

The Stables - 110 Mounts

Raydex-of-the-dawn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Dawnbringer

Unread post by Raydex-of-the-dawn »

Chaoyll wrote:
Oh god, the amount of times I've had arguments with idiots about this just because they wanted to believe Loque'nahak was female. I used to believe Loque was a female but that was only before I realised who Har'koa was. Animals/animal-gods wouldn't be lesbians, I seriously doubt, because otherwise how did the offspring of Har'koa come to be? Although she could have been ra-- D:
They look nothing like their parents anyways - two glowy cream-and-blue kitties make white and black ones? I'm thinking some WIZARD DID IT may be involed :D

Kuraine
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Kuraine »

Raydex-of-the-dawn wrote:They look nothing like their parents anyways - two glowy cream-and-blue kitties make white and black ones? I'm thinking some WIZARD DID IT may be involed :D
This isn't helping me get the idea out of my head that Har'koa was taken advantage of any less. :P

(Changed what I wrote cause it doesn't like the 'r' word apparently, lul.)

The Stables - 110 Mounts

w00dg0blin

Unread post by w00dg0blin »

I ran across this post years ago and found it useful. So from experience I knew there would be a higher probability of a hunter pet to be female. Lately, I decided to look into it in more depth and here are my findings.

I have alot of hunters, so the better part of two days was spent running them out to Wetlands to test them on the ghost sailors. I initially tried the script posted in the forum but I couldn't get it to work on my pets. It just generated a "unknown" result every time. So I went with the ghost sailor route as that has always worked for me. I tested 100 hunter pets. 93 turned out to be female and only 7 turned out to be male. So apparently gender is not determined randomly. So I looked closer at the males. Sexually dimorphic (noticeable differences in the genders of a particular species) pets do have males. Maned lions are male and lions with no manes are females. Apparently Stags are similar gendered like North American White-tailed Deer. Those with antlers are male while those without antlers are female. For the most part, specifically named hunter pets gender will match it's naming syntax; King Bangladesh is a male. Although, King Reaperclaw is a female. So it's not an ironclad rule.

I have alot of Wolf pets but I noticed all of mine were female. So I did some more testing. I settled on Prairie Wolves from Mulgore as a control sample. I tested 35 of them before I got bored with that. They all turned out to be female. Surely if there was some randomness of gendering I would of ran across at least one male. That wasn't the case though. It seems that species with no noticeable differences between the genders default out as female. It's probably a time saving thing when they populate an area by copying and pasting a mob over and over again.

As noted earlier named hunter pets can have male results. So I looked at the named Bears I could get my hands on. Bears are not sexually dimorphic other than males tending to be larger. So similarly sized bears of differing genders look alike. So my results were similar to the Prairie Wolf results. I tested Mangeclaw, Old Grizzlegut, Arru, Bristlemaul, Mac the Bear, Hozzer, Rimepelt, Ursius and Bjarn. They all turned out to be female. That's a little strange since Bjarn is a name for boys. Bjarn means "bear". Bjarn is an alternate form of Bjorn (Scandinavian, Old Norse).

So what is the point of all this? If you want your pet to be male just call it male and be done with it. It's not like someone else can run your pet through the test and prove you wrong. If yo do get hit with a twinge of OCD just realize that in all probability it is likely a female.

As a side note, it appears that Blizzard never went the gender fluid route with hunter pets. Mechanicals surprised me as I expected them to be non-binary. It turns out that they are gendered too.