The New 10 Rares (edited: for live)

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: The New 10 Rares (edited: for live)

Unread post by Gimlion »

4 deaths by Green Fire, 3 by Disengaging off the cliff, and with sub-10,000 HP left, Kirix was finally mine tonight.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I've been told by several hunters on my server that the rock method has been hotfixed. Is that true as of recent?

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Jessibelle wrote:I've been told by several hunters on my server that the rock method has been hotfixed. Is that true as of recent?
I'm not entirely sure, but everyone that tried it while I was doing the legit Kirix method evade bugged then got stunned and poisoned to death. (Just typed deth on accident *sigh*)

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Gimlion wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:I've been told by several hunters on my server that the rock method has been hotfixed. Is that true as of recent?
I'm not entirely sure, but everyone that tried it while I was doing the legit Kirix method evade bugged then got stunned and poisoned to death. (Just typed deth on accident *sigh*)
Yeah and those who did the rock method...their tame could complete but they wouldn't have him either. But those who did it legitly on his ledge would get him no problem.

LisaaraPokefarm

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

I think if you shoot to pull him to you he will evade when you're done taming (thus not able to tame). I vainly tried this myself and after about 8 deaths (and watching 2 other hunters die multiple times as well) ~ I pulled him with hitting Tame Beast instead of shooting and that worked just fine.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Meh, I don't think it matters. People will just have to learn the true 'Hunter' way to tame him. It's much more fun that way anyways.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Royi wrote:
I think if you shoot to pull him to you he will evade when you're done taming (thus not able to tame). I vainly tried this myself and after about 8 deaths (and watching 2 other hunters die multiple times as well) ~ I pulled him with hitting Tame Beast instead of shooting and that worked just fine.
Even that hasn't worked for hunters now on the rock. He still evades and then kills you. I watched several hunters try.

LisaaraPokefarm

Saige
Realm: Burning Blade

Unread post by Saige »

Jessibelle wrote:
Royi wrote:
Even that hasn't worked for hunters now on the rock. He still evades and then kills you. I watched several hunters try.
Thats because they're doing it wrong.

Shoot him to pull he will evade for a few then he will cast his poison, use a macro for detterence and tame(click on it as soon as you see his cast bar appear) and he will be yours before he can cast again.
opalexian
Realm: Twisting Nether

Unread post by opalexian »

Saige wrote:Shoot him to pull he will evade for a few then he will cast his poison, use a macro for detterence and tame(click on it as soon as you see his cast bar appear) and he will be yours before he can cast again.
Maybe that's true, but the one hunter I did watch try the rock method died about 8 times while I was there-he even tried his tame on the actual island beyond the rocks and (needless to say) failed, so I'd say the hotfix has the rocks mostly covered.

As for my tames so far-
My first day in the Druid area I saw Skarr waiting for me to tame! However having 2 BM specs and not nearly enough haste yielded a nice repair bill and no shiny kitty. :( Needless to say, by the time I got back there (probably) prepared with enough haste to make the tame (and not respec) he was gone-fairly sure the hunter who got him was sitting in the starter area with him when I got back! :(

Anyway, a day later I failed to find Skarr (or Karkin to make up for my lack of Ghostcrawler love) but after failing to tame Skitterflame (see below) I found Kirix running around like a maniac 2 hours later! Reading the directions here, watching 4 other hunters try to tame him, and failing 5 times myself, I was able to finally catch him as BM! (PVP spec even! :lol: ) I followed the directions in the initial post but added the following twists to make him mineminemine-

-I had reforged all haste either back to normal on my gear or added to a few pieces (mostly VIcious, 2 pieces of new crafted Bloodthirsty, the TB polearm, and 2 other pieces of PVE gear) to try for taming Skarr and happened to still have this setup, for a total of 13.24% (or 1552) haste.
-Consumables were +90 haste/stam food (Basilisk Liverdog), Prismatic Elixir (+90/all resists), and 100 Agi scroll ('IX'), with a potion of speed thrown in there right before the tame. (I didnt use my Ancient Hysteria despite having Chromaggus [FTW!] because I felt that time would be better spent trying to perfect the tame; I also didnt have the 100% extra haste buff from the thermal drafts, which might help others since there is one right next to Kirix's spawn point.)
-I made the following macro-

/cast Disengage
/cast Deterrence
/use Potion of Speed
/cast Tame Beast

which mostly does what the original post specifies, just with the potion tossed in there (NR Aspect was on the whole time of course, but I think the Elixir really helped push my stats that little bit over the edge.) Finally, I placed an ice trap about 4 yards behind me so he hit it as I disengaged. Managed to time my macro about when I hit the top of the punt and BAM! happy Kirix shrunk down to cuddle with me at night-even ended with about 1/3 health! :headbang: I named him 'GloStix'-maybe not terribly RP but I thought it fitting.

Of amusing note, if you pull him into the NPCs and he starts spitting everywhere, he will kill them (and any players) in the area; I accidentally 'ganked' a fellow Horde hunter who had also been trying to tame him. :twisted:

Also, I wanted to point out in the original post under Skitterflame's instructions-
4. Place an ice trap in front of him and he should get safely to the right tameability (you can use another freezing trap, but be prepared to break him out of it ASAP. I prefer ice trap just because its more then enough needed. 2 freezing traps will get him to 20, you only need to get him to 18 to tame) # freezing traps unless your fast enough will kill him.
I was incredibly derp and didnt read the instructions here carefully, but if the '#' could be changed to an actual '3' then maybe others derping like me won't screw this tame up. 3 freezing traps FTL :(

Thanks for the awesome post overall-I look forward to grabbing several of the other pets, although I will likely only try for the other spiders (besides Mrs. Doomy-Doom-Doom) if I happen upon them when no other hunters are around during off hours just to see if I can meet the challenges (and not respec either-real men [and goblins] use BM!)
Snowbird
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill (Horde)Ravencrest (Ally)

Unread post by Snowbird »

Damn i would really like to have Magria!! But Ankha issnt to bad either! But Magria looks alot better i must say! ^^

Signature Made By Senenith

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Snowbird wrote:Damn i would really like to have Magria!! But Ankha issnt to bad either! But Magria looks alot better i must say! ^^
I'll trade... xP All that ever spawns for me is Magria... after 8 rehomes, you kinda get sick of blue...

McGarnicle
Realm: Draka

Unread post by McGarnicle »

Saige wrote:Shoot him to pull he will evade for a few then he will cast his poison, use a macro for detterence and tame(click on it as soon as you see his cast bar appear) and he will be yours before he can cast again.
Still works. Tamed Kirix this morning on Draka (US). I died a few times trying the 'legit' way, so I looked up the other way. I didn't use a macro or had any haste buffs (although I should have), the first time I tagged him, waited for his cast, popped deterrence and then tame, I was about 1 second from finishing and he cast his poison again, stunned me and I died. But my next attempt I was able to hit deterrence and tame and finish it off. So the rock method still works, but a macro and some haste buffs will definitely go along way in making this easier. I stood on the rock that has the thermal up to FP ridge, for what it's worth.

I just wish he had a unique skin, I only found out afterwards (never been a spider fan, at least for a pet) there are non-elites that share the same skin which are tamable. Oh well...

Happy hunting all.
Flyra
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Draenor EU (Horde), Mazrigos EU (Alliance)

Unread post by Flyra »

This is very helpful. /bookmarks

FR: Heart #57524 WoW: Flyra#21730

Samskeyti
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel EU

Unread post by Samskeyti »

I'm adding this here.

Last night, I went to the Molten Front for a look. Every single rare spider was up, plus Karkin! On Steamwheelde Cartel EU. Plus Banny flying outside! It was just awesome, to see all the spiders plus Karkin on a live server.