Looking for tips on catching Loque'nahak

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
SibealAD
Realm: Argent Dawn

Looking for tips on catching Loque'nahak

Unread post by SibealAD »

I have been hunting Loque since my hunter hit lvl 80 back in October, it's been about 8 months and I have yet to see him or any of the rares in the wild in SB. Dose any one have any tips or advice? Been using Bloody Rare and NPC scan for addons and a /tar macro I saw in the comments on wowhead about him.
Minifig
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draka

Re: Looking for tips on catching Loque'nahak

Unread post by Minifig »

Here's a weird tip that not many of us hunters follow.

Stop ACTIVELY searching for him. Go about your regular "life" in WoW, and occasionally fly over to Scholazar Basin to see if he's there. You'll have more fun in the game if you're not sweating bullets over a rare spawn.

I did this both with Sambas (got him within 10 minutes of turning 85), and Loque. The first time I ever really said "Okay, I think I'll look for him (him being Loque in this case) today.. and if he's not there.. no big deal." I found him.

It seems to me that if you actively search, they're listening and know you're coming... so just play the game, enjoy it as you do.. keep "Dismiss pet" on your hot bar, and a pet slot or two free in your slots, and if you feel like you're having a good day, go for it and see if they're around.

This applies to all rares. :)
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Here's what I did;

a) Look around late at night or early in the morning if possible.
b) Remember to keep other Northrend rares down or tamed. Preferably find a friend or a guildie for this so you can stay at the Basin.
c) Pick a spot, sit there for 15-30 minutes and then do a fly-by of all the spots. Repeat.
d) Try to befriend other players who are frequently around the area and see if they can call you if they see Loque.
f) Try to look around after server restarts.

I hope that helps. Good luck and be patient! :)
SibealAD

Minifig wrote:
Stop ACTIVELY searching for him.
I think that is more my problem than a solution... My main is our guild's only reliable healer.... so I rarely get time to go on my hunter... so when I get a chance to fly around SB I never have luck... I remember the day I dropped my mining and took up skinning I went to SB to level it up... as I enter the zone some one comes in general saying they just caught him.... I wasn't even looking for him that day but it made me feel horrid that I just missed him. Saw some one in a heroic I was healing today with him and was like I should go see if he's around, did a few passes over sb... camped my normal spots and not a blip on anything.... it gets really discouraging and i get aggravated and then stop looking for like a week and then go back and he's still not there... lol my friend says he sees him every time he goes up there mining and has killed him 4 times and helped other people catch him... i just never have the luck
Neurotoxinx
Realm: Maelstrom (RP-PvP)

Unread post by Neurotoxinx »

Though I agree with Minifig, since that's how I got most of my rares, this is how I'd go about camping a rare;

Loque is on a six hour respawn. Have a time where you can just sit and camp for six hours. I personally don't see any information his spawn is linked to another rare.

Pick a spot to camp. Any spot. On my PvP server, I'd pick somewhere a bit further away from the Nesingwary camp spawn, to make sure I don't get shot out of the sky. If you're on a PvE server, I might pick the one closest to the camp, to make sure he's not getting killed when he spawns by nearby questers.

Wait at your camping spot, and every 5-10 minutes, do a fly to all of the other spawn points, and come back to your camping spot. I camp this way because it enables me to NOT go insane flying around looking for something for six hours straight, lol. I just can't do it. The breaks mean I can tab out/walk away and do other things a bit.

If you're like me, I get super spazzy when I see my rare. "WHERE ARE MY BUTTONS!?" What I have to do is put my ice trap on 1 on my action bar, and tame beast on 2, and already have my pet dismissed. So it's all right there for my 'OMG WHAT DO I DO' moment.

Huntsman's Lodge has my favorite guide; http://huntsmanslodge.com/535/tips-and- ... oquenahak/
SibealAD wrote:I remember the day I dropped my mining and took up skinning I went to SB to level it up...
Aww. If that happens again, just come back in six hours - that's how I got my Loque! I saw him and missed him while I was relogging, but came back in 6 hours and nabbed him no problem.
Minifig
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Minifig »

Neurotoxinx wrote:
If you're like me, I get super spazzy when I see my rare. "WHERE ARE MY BUTTONS!?" What I have to do is put my ice trap on 1 on my action bar, and tame beast on 2, and already have my pet dismissed. So it's all right there for my 'OMG WHAT DO I DO' moment.
:lol:

I never spaz out during the taming process.. I spaz out after because I got them.. :P :lol:
Neurotoxinx
Realm: Maelstrom (RP-PvP)

Unread post by Neurotoxinx »

Minifig wrote:I never spaz out during the taming process.. I spaz out after because I got them.. :P :lol:
I tweak out so bad when I see what I've been camping for, lol. I dunno how many times I've forgotten to drop a trap so almost died, forgot to abandon my pet, etc just because I get so freaked out. It must be funny to watch, though! Actually taming them means sigh of relief and stop spazzing, lol.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I've just recently decided to start looking for Loque. I refuse to camp rares; I've gotten all my rares by doing periodic flybys. As I am also working on archaeology, specifically Tol'vir, I've started using the portal to Sholazar for a quick look whenever I'm at dig sites in Un'goro.
pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Unread post by pengupuff »

Don't forget to download NPC Scan and make sure your cache is clear. :D

The range of that addon is pretty crazy as well, so if Loque is anywhere remotely close, you'll know it.

One method too that might actually be kind of risky depending on how nice the people on your server are, is to offer a gold reward for a legitimate Loque sighting. I've gotten a couple of successful tames that way.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!

SibealAD

thank you for all the tips, so far today no luck and they need me on my shammy. i think i'll try later tonight after most people have gone to bed, see if that helps at all...
Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

I just don't have the patience to sit and camp a rare... what I do though is put my hunter in the in the zone before I sign off (sholzar for example) and do a quick check on all tha spawn areas. I also sign on to my hunter first, everytime I play and check the spawn areas before I go do other things. If I'm going to play on a different character, I would leave my hunter in the area coming back to do a check occasionally. I have NPCScan and clear out the cache everyday.

For rares that are not in as much demand, I usually get them within 3 - 5 days. The longest wait I had was 3 weeks for Madexx (when he first came out). I also get up early everyday for work, so I set aside 15 minutes to sign in just to check for the rare(s) I'm looking for. Getting up and checking early has been when I got most of my rares. Average time is 5 days.
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
SibealAD

OMG I finally caught him ^^ ty all for your encuragement

Just got out of our BWD run on my shammy and was going on my hunter to cut a gem for a guild member who got new gear... I log in and npc scan goes off... talk about lucky days
Last edited by SibealAD on Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Touchel
Realm: Thunderhorn

Unread post by Touchel »

Congratulations, how did you name him? :)

Lok'tar ogar!

SibealAD

Have not named him yet, still in shock, I mean I literally just caught him now lol
Foru21dr
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Tanaris (Alliance) Nessingwary (Horde)

Unread post by Foru21dr »

Grats on your tame. It really does seem to happen when you are not actively looking for them.
Nesingwary Petopians - Bitka, Quïll Xendral, Ximbol, Saehi, and Tryxter
Nesingwary Petopian Alliance - Sorree and Xylda

http://dragcave.net/user/foru21dr My Cave
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Congrats! Your luck must be catching, as I just tamed mine too. I was doing my usual check after digging in Un'goro, and after flying by all the spawn points I noticed I was the Only player in the Basin, so I decided to alt-tab for a bit; when I came back, there he was, west of the big skelly. *huggles Cirque*
Craich
Realm: Argent Dawn (EU)

Unread post by Craich »

Wonderful!

I'm looking for Loque (at level) so I take inspiration from your story!