Has anyone noticed "old world" rares are a lot more "common"

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Minifig
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draka

Has anyone noticed "old world" rares are a lot more "common"

Unread post by Minifig »

Every time I go out to hunt for an old world rare, that is, ones that aren't in Cataclysm content.. I can almost always find them.. I mean, I've got astoundingly good luck.. yet.. new world content, Cataclysm and up, rares are exactly what they are..

RARE!

You have to actually hunt for them..

I mean, I'm not complaining and I hope this trend continues when we get the next expansion, but... it just seems.. a little weird.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Has anyone noticed "old world" rares are a lot more "com

Unread post by Lupis »

I think it's because most people are out hunting the Cata rares - the old world rares are just that, old. Nobody looking for them, so they're up all the time.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

Minifig
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Minifig »

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that.
Setanta
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Terrokar, Dentarg, Alexstrasza

Unread post by Setanta »

a lot of the lower level "old world" rares may have had their rare timers decreased...mainly referring to pre bc content.

Sargman (Void Elf) Terokkar
Serkrun (Orc) Dentarg
Untamabull (Tauren) Area 52
Sargmar (Blood Elf) Alexstrasza

If you're taking my posts 100% seriously, you're probably 150% too serious to read them.
quietstrm07

Unread post by quietstrm07 »

I did notice the same thing yesterday when I was going for pets to fill the stable on my new hunter. In a period of 10 minutes, I was able to find Humar, Shadowclaw, The Razza, and Numarok. I don't quite mind as it made it much easier to get the pets I wanted but it definitely does keep them from being rare (not like Humar really is since Pitch is available to tame also)
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Yea... but it also counts for outland rares and Nuramoc stayed up for 7 hours :lol: Everyones on their 85's gearing up or trying to make as much gold as they can for the patch

^Ive killed The Razza soooo many times i cant count anymore lol, i know no hunters and none in zones surrounding feralas could (lower then 69) or even wanted him :3

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

quietstrm07

Unread post by quietstrm07 »

Yea, I tamed him first when I was getting my "rare" cats from Kalimdor, then when I went to Outland to get my ravager, Numarok was up so I tamed him. Have since abandoned Razza because he doesn't quite fit in with my worgen hunter's dark/fierce theme whereas Numarok seemed to fit much better. I was tempted to name him "VivaLaRaza" though just for kicks before I abandoned, lol
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Some of the lower level ones have shorter respawns too, i think Ashtail for instance was 1-2 hours
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Neurotoxinx
Realm: Maelstrom (RP-PvP)

Unread post by Neurotoxinx »

Yeah, I didn't have to camp for literally a single old world rare I wanted. Ashtail I waited like ten minutes, while Olm and the Evalcharr were just sitting there waiting for me. I have a feeling they don't have a despawn time, so they're just there till someone kills them - and I don't often see that many people questing. Numarok was up the first time I checked for it, too.
Evolet
Realm: Blood Furnace

Unread post by Evolet »

This is true! I didn't have to camp for Ashtail at all and I've seen Vultros every time I go to Westfall.

The extraordinary is in what we do - not who we are.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

It all depends on the server and who's leveling on it. I had to wait for Vultros to spawn on Nesingwary, and I've seen Chatter down ( :( ) on Dethecus multiple times when I've gone to visit him.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

The reason they appear to 'always' be up is because they are 'old', as Lupis said.

The funny thing here is that the 'common' rares are rarer tamed than the newer, shinier rares. ;P

That said, I seem to miss out on hunting Loque quite a bit, and Skoll is never, ever up on live despite tripping over him on the PTR. I think his is partly due to people going "Hey, everyone is doing Cata content, imma camp the TLPD!".

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

There was a blue post a few patches back that said they were specifically reducing the timer on rares and upping the amount of experience and loot they give when killed. I've always had incredibly good luck with the older rares and knowing they have shorter respawn timers, I kill them frequently on my lowbies for the boosted experience (seriously, they give like more than a quest's worth sometimes).

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Tankperson
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Tankperson »

When I was lvling my human hunter up in hinterlands I found Old Cliff Jumper a home like 7 times he was just always there!
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I went to find Rex Ashil after putting his ID in my NPCscan, and was expecting to have to camp, and possibly come back later, but he was just there chilling. I had no luck with Nuramoc however... xD

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Many lower-level oldschool rares have timers like 15 or 30 minutes to a couple of hours. This, coupled with the fact that oldschool content is often skipped through via dungeon grinding or whatever, means that more often than not they're up. ^^

Ellaran
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Hyjal

Unread post by Ellaran »

Make a note that it's only the pre-BC Azeroth rares that had their timers lowered and exp buffed. BC and Wrath rares still have their long timers and normal exp, and of course the Cata rares have their timers. So you'll find The Razza a lot more often, but you're in for a wait for Hakariss.

TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

Slaverjaw likes to be a butthead when I go looking for him as well. :( He likes to make me wait and suffer.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

TygerDarkstorm wrote:There was a blue post a few patches back that said they were specifically reducing the timer on rares and upping the amount of experience and loot they give when killed. I've always had incredibly good luck with the older rares and knowing they have shorter respawn timers, I kill them frequently on my lowbies for the boosted experience (seriously, they give like more than a quest's worth sometimes).
what she said.

Yeah rares generally will grant you 1-2 quests worth of experience now (even lowbie lvl 7 rares as long as you're around lvl 7). I wouldn't pass up killing one around my level unless it were say a spirit beast or aotona etc.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Heleos
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by Heleos »

Yeah I always seen Olm up. Always!
Heleos
Night Elf Hunter
Medivh- US