Which four pets to exclude?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Udsoup

Which four pets to exclude?

Unread post by Udsoup »

So I did the math and you can have all but four of the pets, if you count the ones with you and the stable, and don't count the exotics. So I was wondering, which four would you exclude? Pick what ever reason you want... They don't look good, redundent abilites, etc. I'm just curious to see what other people would pick. Thank you!
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: Which four pets to exclude?

Unread post by Gimlion »

1: Monkeys, I absolutely detest the models, and I don't see much use in a PvP pet that ugly when I could use something more fun like a Silithid.

2: Ravagers, I really like some of the colors, and the model is very striking, but they just don't click with my Dwarf, maybe if I get my N Elf higher leveled I'll give them a try.

3: Bats, They are not terrible looking, but just not my cup of tea, which is odd as I love Bats IRL.

4: Rhinos, I have no use for a rhino, and honestly, they don't mesh well with me/my Dwarf.

Edit: To say Welcome to the Forums as a 1st time poster!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Mozag
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

Welcome to the forums!

If I exclude exotics, the four I could do without are:

1. Gorilla. I hate everything about them.

2. Silithid, particularly the Boss Silithid. While I think the normal silithids and ant silithids are kinda cute (took me a long time to warm to them however) I simply cannot STAND the boss model, it's so ugly. I like the vibrant colours they have but the face and shape is just...ew. Generally speaking though, I've never yet clicked with any silithid, so I figure I can survive without them in the future too.

3. Sporebat. While they're nice enough, and I do have one which I don't want to part with, I'm not amazingly in love with them.

4. I like the new crab model lots, but their annoying channeled pin doesn't appeal too much. Also, I don't like the old world model at all.

If exotics are included, I'd likely keep the crab and sporebat and replace them with a rhino (don't like the models and the skill doesn't make sense to me, or anyone I'm sure), and a worm (I want to like them, but find I fall out of love very quickly).
Kyria
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord & Nesingwary

Unread post by Kyria »

Oooh, fun!

1. Gorillas. Their models are just terrible with tons of clipping and stretching and I hate their idle animations. I tried a gorilla on Taizak, once, because she seems like she ought to have a primate, and it was just terrible.

2. Monkeys. All the reasons above, plus their funky lopsided run. Why are you so terrible, primates? I want to love you! :(

3. Bats. WoW bats are just... awful. I'm sure I don't even need to explain this one. I'd be willing to give one a chance someday, because you never know what you'll connect with, but for the purposes of this list, bats go.

4. Beetles. This was a hard one, and I have nothing against beetles, but I never, ever use them. Why should I when I could use a turtle? Maybe once my bug hunter has tamed her white beetle that'll change, but for now, sorry, beetles, you're out.

Welcome to the forums! :) Glad to have you here.

Thanks to Vephriel for the beautiful signature! <3
Dragon Cave!

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Not counting exotics (and Gimlion, Rhinos are exotics)..

1. Gorillas. I just cannot stand them. I don't know why, they just drive me up the wall.

2. Monkeys. Their animation is the most disturbing in game. If you watch them run, the front half of their body moves one way while the back half moves in another direction. That just bothers the snot out of me.

3. Ravagers. I'm not a PvP player, I only played enough to get mounts. I have a great dislike for the overall build of the ravager, though they look interesting, they also make me think of that little alien that crawled out of the man's stomach in Space Balls I think it was? They look nothing alike, I know, but there you go.

4. Moths. I assume they are nice in PvP, with their serenity dust. But I really cannot see a great deal of use for them in PvE They always seemed a pointless pet, along with the Sporebat.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Shade wrote:Not counting exotics (and Gimlion, Rhinos are exotics).
Meh, he didn't say the thread had to be about only non-exotics, just that there are only 4 families excluding them you can't have.

Regardless, if Exotics are excluded, my 4th would likely be Hyenas... None of their skins really catch my fancy, so I just let them roam free, rather than taming one.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

1. Shale Spiders: AKA 'Shrieking Hellbeasts'. No.

2. Dogs: My Vargul Blighthound Vince was one of my closest, favorite pets for a long, long time, but they turned him into a doggie and shrunk him down and I found myself loving him a little less. It's not the pin that bothers me, I can turn that off and have a decent ferocity pet to play with - it's the size. They look goofy next to my Orc. :(

3. Beetles + Turtles: Can I lump two into one? For all intents and purposes they're the same, and I don't really like either of them - consider them interchangeable here. I use my boar for tanking, believe it or not, and he does just fine - plus I love him a lot more than Terrorpene.

4. Spirit Beasts: GASP. Honestly I prefer the Survival playstyle and it hurts to have pets I like in a spec I don't like to use. If I could, I'd exclude them completely and reskin my current spirit beasties, but part of me wants to keep them around because I don't know if I'd care for them as much if they changed colors. The glowy bits on Hadouken(Skoll) mask some of the smaller flaws on the Northrend Worgs, for example.

Excluding exotics, I would say...

1a. Nether Rays: As much as I love the skins, I can't click with them at all - and I have a moth who I love quite a bit, anyway.

4a. Foxes: They're cute, but I have the same issue that I do with the dogs - only in reverse. The sounds would match a smaller size much better...if the sounds weren't moderately irritating to begin with. They're adorable little critters, but I could never bond with one.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Udsoup

Unread post by Udsoup »

Neat, people responded! :P
My four would be sporebat, nether ray, ravager, and fox. I don't really like the creatures from outland, not as pets anyways. And I think wolves are way cooler then foxes. So there... Would discluding those four cause any weaknesses in what I have left? Do any of those four have an ability that I couldn't live without?
vanquished14
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by vanquished14 »

Hmmm, interesting idea. So... there are 38 pet families. Excluding the exotics and hydras, there are 29... so which ones can I live without?

#1: Beetle (Obvious). We already have a Turtle with the exact same benefit and Terrorpene > Beetles
#2: Wind Serpent (Obvious). We already have a Dragonhawk with the exact same benefit and I prefer them over Wind Serpents.
#3: Tallstrider (Obvious). We already have a Fox with the exact same benefit and I prefer them over Tallstriders.
#4: Boar (~Obvious). We already have a Hyena with the exact same benefit only Hyena is Ferocity > Tenacity.

Though life isn't this easy as I like to collect Spirit Beasts and rare or appearance buff pets. :(

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

1) Gorillas: Dont like the model or the idle animation
2) Monkeys: Akward and they sound terrible! Absolutely annoying as hell.
3) Bats: I love bats, I hate wow bats, the whole model is just so grotesquely wrong, just so bloody wrong and bad.
4) Carrion birds: Although the 2headed models arent to bad, the other models are just plain disgusting looking. the bald skin heads, just ewww.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Jatbirkkal
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moonguard

Unread post by Jatbirkkal »

Ravagers- I can't get myself to like them, it's the way their model is I'm sure...

Boar- Cute and all, but I'm not MM so that bleed upper isn't useful to me.

Gorrilla- No clue, just can't stand him.

Monkey- Read above.

Thanks to Vephriel for this awsome sig

"One day, this Hydra WILL be mine! I hope"- Me, before hydras were tameable.

This lovely Shale Spider used as my Avatar is made by Lupis <3
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Hmm.....

1) Bears - for some reason, in all my years of playing WoW, I have never been able to like bears. Something about them just completely turns me off.
2) Bats - never had one, never really plan to. I just don't really find them appealing. I know they have some graphical glitches, but that's not it. I just.....don't really care for them.
3) Serpents - their faces creep me out. I've never been able to keep any of the serpents for more than a couple of minutes.
4) Hyenas - which is sad, because I want to like them. But ever since they broke their backs, I haven't been able to keep one.

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

1) Gorillas - I've never liked humanoid pets, and primates such as gorillas, monkeys, etc just don't appeal to me in the least.
2) Monkeys - See above.
3) Dragonhawks - These creatures have never grown on me. The way they have to perpetually stay in flight since they have no legs bothers me, and overall I just don't like their appearance. Rather than a dragon/hawk they look more like a rooster/butterfly.
4) Sporebats - I prefer Nether Rays, and I just can't unsee those Sporebat tails. :lol: I'd probably warm up to them if they had some different colour combinations (purple/green one would be awesome), but right now they're just kinda meh for me.
Lupis
Petopia Artist
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lupis »

1. Monkeys. Hate how they run and hate how they sound. Even hate their ability, it's childish.

2. Nether Rays - though only because of the current "Uses the walking animation" Bug.

3. Beetles. They just don't seem like Pets to me...

4. Probably crocolisks... While I like them theoretically, they're too low to the ground for me to appreciate them enough.

Tumblr ~ Flight Rising
Avatar by Kamalia, signature by me!

GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Dog
Dragonhawk
Gorilla
Monkey

Just don't like any of those as hunter pets. All of their abilities can be done by other families (except Monkey's, but since I don't pvp, I don't care).
Agner
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Agner »

vanquished14 wrote:#1: Beetle (Obvious). We already have a Turtle with the exact same benefit and Terrorpene > Beetles
#2: Wind Serpent (Obvious). We already have a Dragonhawk with the exact same benefit and I prefer them over Wind Serpents.
#3: Tallstrider (Obvious). We already have a Fox with the exact same benefit and I prefer them over Tallstriders.
#4: Boar (~Obvious). We already have a Hyena with the exact same benefit only Hyena is Ferocity > Tenacity.
This is the idea I'd go with. What's redundant?

Ones he didn't mention:

--Fox or Tallstrider: same family, same special.
--Bird of Prey or Scorpid: same special.
--Bat or Wasp: same special.
--Serpent or Raptor: very similar specials.
--Nether Ray or Gorilla or Moth: similar specials.
--Dog or Crab: same special.
--Bears or Carrion Birds: same special.
--Warp Stalker or Crocolisk: similar specials, same family.

Did I miss any?

I guess the MOST similar, since they share both specials and family, are:

--Beetle or Turtle,
--Fox or Tallstrider
--Dragonhawk or Windserpent
--Warp Stalker or Crocolisk

So if you were going to pick pragmatically, you'd take your choice of these.

Out of these, Fox or Tallstrider would be hard for me, since I love them both.
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

1. Silithid - I have a long standing grudge against these guys that dates back to Vanilla. I don't mind the ants, but I despise the boss ones with a passion. >>

2. Gorilla - Their ingame model is just... Urg. They're hideous.

3. Monkey - Same as above.

4. Hyena - While I love Hyenas irl, I hate their ingame model. That hunch just looks painful and to me, they always look like they have a "derp" face on.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Todius
Realm: Moon Gaurd-Alliance

Unread post by Todius »

Why so much hate for beetles and Boss Silithids :( They may not be as soft and furry as Cats and Spirit Beasts, but these cuddly little crack heads are some of my favorite pets. Who wants a boring old turtle, when you can have a multi-colored little spaz of a beetle
Udsoup

Unread post by Udsoup »

I kind of forgot to say this before, so I am saying it now... Thank you for the warm greetings!! :)
Lucas
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lucas »

Am i the only one who likes the WoW monkey Model?

anyway,

1. Spiders (I've tried, but spiders and I just don't Click.)
2. Nether Rays ( See 3.)
3. Chimeras (They look fun, but they are in my bottom 4)
4. Beatles (I like the size, but they seem a little dull.)