WoW newbie in your midst...

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Sticks

WoW newbie in your midst...

Unread post by Sticks »

Hey all,

I recently started playing Wow (a couple months now) and have been tryng out all the classes and getting to know the game (sick of starting areas played them so many times lol)

I've finally decided that as soon as I get home from my current work trip (I work on an oilrig) I'm starting a nelf hunter and sticking to it. After playing all classes the hunter seems to be the one I came back to most as I love having a pet!!

So all my little twinks are getting wiped and I'm heading to the newest PvP server and starting a hunter and sticking to it (new servers are abit more fun for leveling I've noticed as there are other people around!)

Anyway all that aside I was wanting to ask you pro's a few questions.

Firstly what is this abandon pet thing all about?

And secondly does anyone have a good macro for an all in one pet utility button. Heals when pets out, Calls when pets away, Revives when pets dead and ctrl for tame, alt for dismiss or something like that?

Is there anyway around the bug where revive won't work if player dies after pet? I have experimented with the macro system and did have one kind of working but it was flawed (the big flaw being the one mentioned above!)

Thanks for any help and I look forward to taking part in your community.

Sticks
Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Re: WoW newbie in your midst...

Unread post by Shade »

Heya Sticks, we were all newbies at least once (well there are a few I wonder about), so welcome!

Ah I personally wouldn't suggest a PvP realm for your first serious toon, unless you are really into PvP to start with already. That's just me, but I get sick of getting killed every time I'm trying to focus on something else. Too much grief if you ask me, and you can always go que for PvP battlegrounds when you are in the mood to PvP while on a PvE server. I would suggest leveling on a PvE server till your toon is a good high level then change to PvP if that is what you really want.

On the macros I don't have much to offer, I'm a BM so those are all I have. I will advise to not stick with too many macros, sometimes simplest is best.

Anyway good luck! Sorry I cannot help more.
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

Welcome to the game and Petopia! I'm terrible at macros and PvP so I'm not much help, but HI! :D
Todius
Realm: Moon Gaurd-Alliance

Unread post by Todius »

I have a great Pet Utility Macro on my account but i cant get it for you right now. Once I get home ill post it here though :3
Shadowkaizen
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Shadowkaizen »

GL with your hunter...it was the first class I rolled and I am still playing over 5 years later. :D
The shadows are my ally...and so is that large wolf behind you.
Sticks

Unread post by Sticks »

Thanks for the welcomes :)

I only planned on two macros, one to reduce pet buttons on my bars and another which starts my attack which casts hunters mark, sends pet to attack and starts auto attack.

Unless anyone else has any you think I should definatly have?

Also anyone recommend must have addons or can I survive without? I read about an aggro meter which seems a good idea so I can keep my pet above me on the aggro scale. I'm BM anyway so a kill command is usually all thats required for a kill regardless.

Cheers

Sticks
Tsiya
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary

Unread post by Tsiya »

The mark, start attack send pet is good until you're in a dungeon and just want to mark something and hit the macro lol. WoW now has an aggro meter built in, it's in the options/interface somewhere. I love it, it's very visible and color coded yellow to red, so you can tell where you stand even with tanks. The one addon I can't live without on any of my toons is DoTimer. Simple, easy to set up, doesn't take a whole lot of memory. It'll show you trap time remaining on the target, Serpent sting duration, mend pet duration(really nice to have for those tough pet tank fights) and just about everything that has a cooldown.

Any other questions feel free to ask, and welcome to Petopia!

My pets - My companions

Sig by Sookie!

Konor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garona

Unread post by Konor »

Welcome! The Hunter was my first toon way back in BC and is still my main today. I enjoy them very much as their potential is much higher than a lot of other classes IMO. Definitely higher than the other pure dps classes.

If you are planning on running 5 man dungeons at all you must, must have DBM. Not so much before level 80. Those are pretty easy to figure out but after that you will most likely need it unless you are very observant. (I am not :lol: )

When I get home I will share with you a few addons and macros I use as well.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Welcome!

1. The /petabandon macro is supposedly useless right now, and was just used to (usually temporarily) keep "special effects" like glows and whatnot on tamed pets. It's of no practical use.

2. I've seen macros like this, although I don't use one myself (you can find tons like these with Google searches, so if this doesn't work, have a look around!):
/cast [nopet, modifier] Revive Pet; [target=pet, dead] Revive Pet; [nopet] Call Pet; [combat][modifier] Mend Pet
That should Revive pet if it's dead or Mend if you're in combat. I think if you hold down any key while pressing it without a pet, it'll try to Revive rather than Call, but I could be wrong. I personally just *keybind* Send, Recall, Mend pet. Also, I'd recommend just macroing /petattack into Hunter's Mark if you want easy pet control. (Forgot we have Assist now!)

3. I've never heard of this bug, nor had issues ressing my pet after I myself died. You may be referring to the "you do not have a pet" message--if you die, you need to *call* your pet before you attempt to revive it.

Good luck! Hunter's damn hard to play to its full potential in PvP, but if you're good with it, it's really quite fun :)
Last edited by Acherontia on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7seti
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Frostmourne

Unread post by 7seti »

Mods aren't really needed until you get to a higher level, but you might want to try out this one:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... cused.html
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... elper.html

It saves you from needing to look in the corner of your screen to see your focus bar. The colour-coding is very clever; it'll tell you at a glance whether you can cram in one more Arcane Shot without running out of focus for Kill Command.

Another useful mod is Power Auras:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... assic.html

I just use it to show when cooldowns are up and remind me if I forget to switch Aspect of the Hawk back on, but you can do practically anything with it. If you ever find yourself thinking "I wish X would show up on the screen when Y happens...", you can make Power Auras do it for you.