A slight rant about the etiquette of camping.

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Noxia
Realm: Zul'jin

A slight rant about the etiquette of camping.

Unread post by Noxia »

So far, I am less than pleased by the behavior of my fellow hunters also seeking the new rare spawn pets. A few people have been really kind and awesome, but some have been down right rude. there are just a few things you DO NOT DO. I've had the same two hunters fly up to the top the Ban'thalos' tree camp spot and take out their Ankha/Banny, as if to "impress" me. Listen, its well and all you got it but I DON'T CARE if you got it first and you should really restrain the childish behavior to show off and stop tripping my npc scan, please. Especially intentionally :( Yes I know, they probably don't know for sure I'm running npcscan but come on.
For this reason I NEVER take out Skoll in the peaks, Loque in the basin etc etc. It's just not polite so please I'm urging my fellow(luckier)hunters from taking out their new friends in hyjal. As for everyone else still waiting, best of luck to yah!
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: A slight rant about the etiquette of camping.

Unread post by Ijomi »

I'd be hard-pressed to believe there are hunters savvy enough to know the tricks of the new tames but not know what NPCScan is. I'm sorry you had to put up with that, from fellow hunters no less. :/

Had that happen to me in Twilight Highlands a couple of times, my rant wound up in the Rant Thread. :D Was honestly considering making another about hunters who come stack on you as you sit by your campfire next.

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Kikanu
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shadowsong

Unread post by Kikanu »

Imma use Ban'thalos all the time til I get the Flameward Hyppo. I love how it looks. Sorry for tripping anyone's NPCscan, but I'm not changin for ya!
WoW, where is my KAMEN RIDER BEETLE LARVA PET?
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

Case in point.

Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I can see this from both sides, in all honesty.

Those who intentionally grief other hunters by doing this are jerks, no doubt about that. There isn't always maliciousness behind it though. Some people may not know of NPCscan or that their pet can set off an alert in that fashion, and others might just be thoroughly enjoying their new companions.

I've been looking forward to Deth'tilac forever, and now that I have him he isn't leaving my side for a while. I'm just so thrilled and can't stop staring at him, so he'll probably accompany me everywhere, including Hyjal dailies. I don't think I need to go near Deth's spawn point doing those, and I'll certainly try not to linger around too close to that area, but I will most likely have him out often since I want to use and spend time with my new pet. :)
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

While I can definitely appreciate wanting to spend time with a pet, my habit has always been to pocket immediately upon tame and hearth, and use another favorite pet when in a spawn zone. After all, I have 25. ;)

It's just that I'm fairly sure we all know how it is while camping to have to log out, clear cache, log back in. Repeatedly. It's not fun, and sometimes, it can cost a long-camped tame for someone. It's not happened to me like that before....but I would never want to be the hunter that causes it.

Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Actually, NPCScan seems to be clearing the cache all by itself now after you log out. Least it's done that for me. I'm not entirely sure why or how but I updated it immediately when 4.2 hit.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

If they made manual purges unnecessary, I would have to hug someone. :D

Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Ijomi wrote:If they made manual purges unnecessary, I would have to hug someone. :D
Mine seems to be doing that, atleast with the new pets(Gave myself freakin heart attacks when I dismounted XD).

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Noxia

Unread post by Noxia »

Of course I know people aren't doing it intentionally all the time :P I'm not asking hunters to never ever use their favorite pet ever because it MAY happen to trip my npscan. I'm just saying hey, its kind of rude to COME UP TO ME and do when you very well know what I'm doing. I know that when I manage to tame the new rares I will be polite enough not to drag them around the spawn areas, even whilst doing dailies. Though I'm honestly tempted to show people the same amount of courtesy I've been shown-Almost none whatsoever.

Edit: Okay not NONE. Vetiver has been pretty awesome as have a few others :D

I wish mine cleared the cache upon log out :( so far I don't think it does.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

We had this 'issue' on the PTR too. :l I never really understood it. We're all sitting out here waiting for <rare name here> and you pull out your other rare who spawns in the same zone? Or better yet, someone else pulls out their tamed rare while we're all waiting for it. Are you trying to make camping more painful than it has to be? I know everyone was excited but I couldn't do any camping at all - every rare was cached the instant I logged on and got a flurry of NPCScan alerts.

Camping tends to turn otherwise nice people into paranoid, sometimes outright hostile jerks. :/ You just want to get your pet and go home - unfortunately so does everyone else.

To put it simply, hunters are prone to being jerks to other hunters - especially with the patch out so recently. We had a decline in etiquette towards the end of the PTR and I imagine it will stretch through the beginning of Live until the "I wanna be first!" crowd get their hands on the rares they want and back off. I think the PTR boards built up a lot of hype, since there was a ton of information and 4.2 was, all-in-all, a huge bone thrown to hunters. I'm not surprised people burst out of the gates going "MEMEMEMEMEMEME!".

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

I'm waiting to be stacked as I stand atop this needle of death they call a tree. >.>

Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Vetiver
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Zul'jin US/Farstriders US

Unread post by Vetiver »

aww noxia, my npcscan went off as i was camping ankha and i flew over to see if you got it, and there was some other guy standing right on top of you with it. i couldn't figure out if he was flaunting it at you or if he just nabbed it while you were alt tabbed or something. either way is terrible. :(

i am currently contending with a hunter in imperative at deth's spot repeatedly asking me to leave and harrassing me, despite the fact that i was here when he showed up. not really a surprise there, sadly. they aren't top 100 US for being super nice. =/

Thrawna Partyfavor Poliwrath Mint

...plus many, many more. <3

Thwip
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Elune/Gilneas [US]

Unread post by Thwip »

I have this rant as well from the beginning of my 'Loque no longer rare/elite' thread. I had Loque under a freezing trap. Ok. As far as I have read....hunter etiquette stated that, that Loque was mine to do what I wanted with. Right? I do this all the time for my hordie friends who don't have rares seeing as for some reason I tend to be one of the most informed Horde hunters we have. At least one of the ones actively hunting rares for those who need them still.

But, Apparently this type of 'tagging as mine' was not the case the other night as an alliance hunter decided they 'deserved it more' or whatever douchey train of thought they had when they landed behind me and tried to tame it for themselves. After a long fight of aggro to me, no me, wrong mine. Apparently, this hunter doesn't know what a distracting shot is.... The poor thing was down to 25% health with this hunter spamming tame beast over and over again with Loque wailing on me....not like he does an 85 much damage anymore. My friend finally got there and ended up fumbling her tame from the pressure of having this alliance toon constantly spamming tame beast and we ended up with a dead Loque.

This person thought this interaction was hilarious as she /lol'd at us both over and over and danced on Loque's corpse. Which right after she proceeded to pull her shiny new Magria she had just tamed after the patch hit, named 'First', and troll us some more with it along with more dancing and laughing, hugging, and /loveing on us both.

I also finished up my quest chain for Hyjal today only to see two hunters sitting on the steps of the sanctuary. One with Loque out and the other with Magria. Mind you, all these hunters doing this have been the alt faction for me. My best friend also told me that one alliance hunter was sitting UNDER BAN'TH'S TREE with Ban'th out, alternatively switching between Ban'th and Anhka. How rude is that? It's almost as bad as the one that kept pulling out a red Madexx over and over in the spawn area just to 'Mess with the Horde lol'.

My worst instance with this kinda behavior has happened to me personally. Eight hours of pathing for Skoll...only to have an alliance jack*** think it was funny to shadowmeld behind some trees and place his tamed Skoll right in the middle of the disk spawn area. Lucky for me the jerk left and one hour later Skoll was mine....in the same spawn point. About 2 hours later he showed up in Arcturis' spawn and /lol'd at me a couple times before I pulled out my own new shiny Skoll. :3 Which he then pulled out Gondria, I in turn played this little game through to show him my own, and then I pulled out Krush. He didn't seem to have anything to top that one. You don't try to troll a troll. <,< I know it was wrong, but I feel sometimes these jerks just need a taste of their own medicine.

Tl;dr, .....Hunters can be cruel to their own kind even if they are opposite faction. Although, I have had some AWESOME encounters with hunters of the opposite faction. Sadly, the jerks outnumber the noble.

...Sorry, I had to vent...

Btag name is Buu! US Horde

Thwip - Xanbu - Lymphoma

Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Thwip wrote:Although, I have had some AWESOME encounters with hunters of the opposite faction. Sadly, the jerks outnumber the noble.
I believe this goes both ways. I've never much cared for the whole "FOR THE HORDE/ALLIANCE" mindset. There's jerks in both and there's nice guys in both. Sadly, the jerks always outnumber the noble regardless of faction.

I remember when I was camping for Loque for the fifth day some random orc hunter decided to land right on top of me and pull out their Loque and scare me shitless with NPCscan. :| After they left I was sitting there frustrated and thinking if they had just tamed it or tried to make me leave the area because I'd seen another orc hunter patroll Loque spots just a while ago. Meh.
Noxia

Unread post by Noxia »

Vetiver wrote:aww noxia, my npcscan went off as i was camping ankha and i flew over to see if you got it, and there was some other guy standing right on top of you with it. i couldn't figure out if he was flaunting it at you or if he just nabbed it while you were alt tabbed or something. either way is terrible. :(

i am currently contending with a hunter in imperative at deth's spot repeatedly asking me to leave and harrassing me, despite the fact that i was here when he showed up. not really a surprise there, sadly. they aren't top 100 US for being super nice. =/
Yeah he actually did it twice. He called him out behind me in the mountains and waited for me to take notice, which of course I did. npcscan scared the hell out of me. Then he went away and I logged out, cleared my cache, came back and it was on top of the tree and he called him out AGAIN. The worst part is, he tamed at 9:15...just as I left for raid invites :( after 11 hours of camping some jerk gets him with no effort or waiting. Blegh!
Not surprised about imperative honestly. Just sad that so many people behave like immature brats in a video game D:
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Sometimes a hunter will trigger your NPC scan as a tradeoff for showing you they aren't there as competition.

If I'm doing something near a rare's spawnpoint (for an extended period of time) while the hunter is there camping it, I'll often take out my version of the pet, /point at it, then /luck the hunter and put my pet away/go on about my business. They may have to relog to clear NPC-Scan, but at least they get a bit more peace of mind. I've had fishing hunters do this with Terrorpene (I was there to fish too, but they didn't know that :P).

Mind you, that's probably not what your "friends" there are doing--it's just a possibility to bear in mind >.>
Noxia

Unread post by Noxia »

Acherontia wrote:Sometimes a hunter will trigger your NPC scan as a tradeoff for showing you they aren't there as competition.

If I'm doing something near a rare's spawnpoint (for an extended period of time) while the hunter is there camping it, I'll often take out my version of the pet, /point at it, then /luck the hunter and put my pet away/go on about my business. They may have to relog to clear NPC-Scan, but at least they get a bit more peace of mind. I've had fishing hunters do this with Terrorpene (I was there to fish too, but they didn't know that :P).

Mind you, that's probably not what your "friends" there are doing--it's just a possibility to bear in mind >.>
Yeah I did the same thing a few times to a couple of horde(when I was alliance) guys back in wotlk who were emoting angrily at me for being around them. I was like wait no nonono you got it all wrong! /point!
As for this guy-Three times in the past hour hes come by. Once just passing through, which is fine. But another time he flew up on top of another tree and took him out, and then he stood on top of the statues head and took him out. I was like come on really? Yeesh don't ever let me find you camping ever or you'll have hell to pay :(
Ellonna
Realm: Ravenholdt

Unread post by Ellonna »

I'm currently camping Ban on my server. I've been in this tree for six hours straight; prior to that I was there from 10:30 p.m. to 3:30 a.m.... I had to sleep for a couple hours. During this time I'd had people call me names, attempt to gank me, flap around me wildly on their mounts (aerial teabagging >.>), and had one hunter of my faction clearly state that he wasn't even going to try to tame, that he was going straight for the kill because I was there. Thankfully, he's been gone for a while -- I have one hunter of my faction to compete with who just showed up a few minutes ago and is trying to get back in the tree on the other side of the Sanctuary. I'm very glad he's not stacking on me.

I'm in love with owls, but I don't like using birds of prey for DPS; Ban would be perfect for me, and he's the only one of the new rares I REALLY want (as evidenced by my camping). I'm very ready for this thing to spawn so I can either tame it or not and get some real sleep. >.>
Obito
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Icecrown

Unread post by Obito »

Just saw him tamed on Icecrown about 20 minutes ago, saw a yellow dot on my map and looked up, there he was. Along with about six hunters ... so I just sat there and watched. No idea if the Night Elf that tamed him was first or the goblin sitting on the tree, was happy to see the crowd let her finish her tame regardless. Saw one of the new spider names up when I ventured into the new lands today, I had zero interest in spiders (but just wanted to see it and alert the hunters that might want it) but ended up being a hunter running around with it in the same spawn area it spawns with the same name >_< Some people just going to be that way I guess.

I'll eventually have to try for the trio of spirit beasts, though I have to chuckle at their spawn point locations. Right in the middle of everything! ~ Obi