Idea! Pet whistles!

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Idea! Pet whistles!

Unread post by Ryno »

As I'm sure most people here know, with the new rares from patch 4.2, there can be some really ugly things happening with the rares. Stealing, killing, and other abuse goes on for hunters after the new pets. Reporting to a GM only does so much, as it's really hard to track who was in the wrong for these kinds of things.

So I had an idea! What if all tamable rares are converted to an item that summons that rare? A named whistle?

They could drop from raid bosses, heroic bosses, normal five man bosses, rares, world drops, zone drops, vendors for honor points, vendors for justice points, vendors for valor points, vendors for conquest points, crafted from professions... I mean, the ways to get them could number pretty high.

They would be BoA, with everyone only able to roll greed on them, save hunters who could need. The whistle would scale with the hunter's level, so you could mail it to a hunter alt if you were able to get one by luck on a random toon or something.

Having one use, the whistle would spawn the rare creature near the hunter, neutral to avoid other problems. The hunter then could tame it, going through the loops of doing so (if it's, say, Deth'tilac's whistle or some such) if needed.

This type of system seems like it'd work really well with the direction Blizzard is taking the game. Currently, if you wish to tame a rare, what do you do? You sit out where it spawns, and wait. Or if it's up, you grab it. Easy peasy. Also long. And boring. Zzz...

With the whistles, you basically could get rare pets by doing ANYTHING ELSE in the game. You want that nice armored turtle pet? Better level up blacksmithing on a toon. You want a fire phoenix? Gear up and help your guild tackle Ragnaros!

Of course this system seems like it could be open to abuse, but I think it's a lot more solid than having anyone come by and killing the rare you've been camping for hours for.

Thoughts?

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Re: Idea! Pet whistles!

Unread post by Ziarre »

I vastly prefer camping. At least then I know it WILL spawn eventually, as opposed to an RNG chance to drop...and let's face it, RNG is a bitch.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

I see it could fit into sertain profession. Like a earthly plant looking creature from herbing, mechanical beast from enginering, some polution/toxin looking thing from alchemy and so on. so that part of the idea i highly suport.

I think rares are best fitting "in the wild", as a beast that stands out in way from teh rest of its kin in that area.

Calling it from a whistle that droped somewhere would give me the feeling that this beast have been previously tamed by someone else(as it would come to a call). it simply wouldnt feel as nice as finding this unique beeing running wild and untamed.

Also sins your idea is that it would be a drop everyone could roll greed on, or baught from points, would that mean if someone else than a hunter was to call it, he/she could kill it for extra loot?
If these was to be vissible for every class it would need some kind of use for other classes aswell.

Blizzard could easily fix the problem with haveing others killing the rare by giving them skills like the one Ghostcrawler got. As all the new rares drops no loot to be worth mentioning(as far as i know) i dont see a reason to why not. At least then you wouldnt need to worry about a random warrior/mage/rogue/whatever running in and killing it. Your fear would only be hunters of opsite faction.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

i like the idea but....

me after countless dungeon runs and no whistle

stupid game it hates me.

id rather the spawn so that people wouldnt abuse the whistles

[Trade]: WTS HUNTER PET WHISTLE 90K OR IM DESTROYING IT

or even the harrasment whispers.... ohh my god it would be bad. not only that lets pretend i summoned something

yey half way through tame, random person walks up and kills it....

signature thanks to Kurieno
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Akyo wrote:Calling it from a whistle that droped somewhere would give me the feeling that this beast have been previously tamed by someone else(as it would come to a call).
Doesn't necessarily have to be a whistle, it could be a special piece of meat, or a flute that plays a toon the beast likes, etc. It could be virtually anything.
Akyo wrote:Also sins your idea is that it would be a drop everyone could roll greed on, or baught from points, would that mean if someone else than a hunter was to call it, he/she could kill it for extra loot?
The rares would specifically drop no loot or give exp. Making the item useless to nonhunters. Save for if someone got it and wanted to maybe put it in the middle of Org for gits and shiggles.
Cerele wrote:me after countless dungeon runs and no whistle

stupid game it hates me.
The drop rate would probably be somewhere around ~15%. It wouldn't be as low as say a mount or a piece of gear.
Cerele wrote:[Trade]: WTS HUNTER PET WHISTLE 90K OR IM DESTROYING IT
I said above it would be BoA, meaning you cannot trade it or sell it to anyone, hence only hunters or people with hunter alts would be interested in it.
Cerele wrote:yey half way through tame, random person walks up and kills it....
Being able to summon the pet at anytime and virtually anywhere would make it extremely unlikely that someone else would be there to kill it. Could possibly even make it usable in dungeons, so you could run over to RFC or something similar, pop the rare out, and tame with 0% chance of anyone messing you up.

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

Ryno wrote:
I said above it would be BoA, meaning you cannot trade it or sell it to anyone, hence only hunters or people with hunter alts would be interested in it.
You got it wrong. What Cerele is saying is that the person could sell the summoning item. Unless the spawn could only be seen by them.

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

You can't invite someone to a group & assign them loot that they weren't there for, if that is what's being said?

I like the idea okay, although it immediately made me think that there should be some specific place to use it--both to avoid griefing with giant rare elites (neutral mobs will still aggro if you place them onto AoE) and to avoid using LoS and so forth in strange locales.

Then I thought, what about a giant hunter arena. And then I thought, how cool would it be if you could just pick which mob to "challenge..."

And then I realized, I spent FAR too much time building that Minecraft arena earlier...
Cerele
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Hellscream

Unread post by Cerele »

Acherontia wrote:You can't invite someone to a group & assign them loot that they weren't there for, if that is what's being said?

I like the idea okay, although it immediately made me think that there should be some specific place to use it--both to avoid griefing with giant rare elites (neutral mobs will still aggro if you place them onto AoE) and to avoid using LoS and so forth in strange locales.

Then I thought, what about a giant hunter arena. And then I thought, how cool would it be if you could just pick which mob to "challenge..."

And then I realized, I spent FAR too much time building that Minecraft arena earlier...
minecraft is fun.... lol just saying

signature thanks to Kurieno
Nahale
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Nahale »

Last edited by Nahale on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

This idea could be great after its refined.

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Kurenio wrote:
Ryno wrote:
You got it wrong. What Cerele is saying is that the person could sell the summoning item. Unless the spawn could only be seen by them.
Ah my bad, sorry. Makes more sense now.

Eh, could happen. Then again, there're some people that threaten to kill a rare a hunter wants to tame for money.

Litlemouse
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Vashj, Whisperwind

Unread post by Litlemouse »

Wait so this means that as long as you tagged the rare first, if somebody griefed you and killed you'd still get the whistle? Sounds cool to me! :)

Loki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Loki »

I thought maybe they could have a drop from random mobs in a zone, low chance but higher than for instance whelp pets (1% maybe ?). It might be something like Great Lion's Claw, and it gives you a quest to speak to a master hunter who you show the item and he gives you a quest chain (fetch 20 deer meat to lure out the lion etc) and when you finish it you are transported to a phased area with the rare inside for you to tame/kill (they'd have a good drop on them as well for non-hunters).

Avatar made by the awesome LupisDarkmoon. Tameable giraffes please!

Pets Wishlist:
Goats
Yaks
Shoveltusks
Stags
Talbuks/Gazelles
Giraffes!

WoD and Legion best expansions! 6 down, 1 to go!

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Maybe make ONE hunter rare that does this as a special mechanic? Kind of like Rhok'delar required the leaf to start with?
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Though I don't think I'd want every rare to have that sort of mechanic, it's certainly an interesting idea that would be really cool to see on one or two.

I've also had the thought of a rare being similar to the Mysterious Camel Figurines. You find a statue (or some other object, etc) and it has a chance of being the 'correct' one. If so, you are transported to a phased area (much like being ported to the phased Steam Pools for the camel mount), and there you can encounter the rare all by yourself. No one can interrupt or interfere with the tame.
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

What if the whistle summoned you to a phased area like the camel figurine?

(that's what I would love to see)

Kill a giant elite and rescue your new pet xD

Edit: Yea what Veph said >< I didn't read the whole thread which was my bad ><
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

This Idea must be refined!

-gears start turning in my head-

Oh no not again.

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Vephriel wrote:Though I don't think I'd want every rare to have that sort of mechanic, it's certainly an interesting idea that would be really cool to see on one or two.

I've also had the thought of a rare being similar to the Mysterious Camel Figurines. You find a statue (or some other object, etc) and it has a chance of being the 'correct' one. If so, you are transported to a phased area (much like being ported to the phased Steam Pools for the camel mount), and there you can encounter the rare all by yourself. No one can interrupt or interfere with the tame.
It would be neat to have one rare with this encounter. Random statue that teleports the hunter to a zone where its just them and said rare. Maybe the rare could even say " ___ I've been waiting for you..." That would put just you and the rare, without having to worry about any outside interference.
Ryno wrote: Pet whistle idea.... yadda yadda yadda.... some other interesting stuff
Ryno~ It would be very interesting to see Blizz to do this to at least a FEW rares. Perhaps have a whistle drop off the next raid end boss, super fancy cool pet that the hunter can summon. Or maybe to go with what Vephriel said about the Camel Figurine and have some Whistles hidden throughout the world only usable by hunters but other classes could still see them.

I like the idea though
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I like Vephriel's idea, but with two caveats--

1. PLEASE let them not be as rare as effing Camel Statues. CAMELRAGE.

2. There MUST be a stable-master there, IN the phased zone. Perhaps he is waiting for you, and gives you information about the upcoming event ("There's a cat over this hill, lass, and you won't believe how big he is..." etc) while offering to swap your pets--but imagine someone mistakenly finding the statues and porting in with only 5 beloved rare pets?!
throaxx
Realm: kilrogg

Unread post by throaxx »

sounds like it could work