LF some help with Interrupts. :<

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Argent Dawn

LF some help with Interrupts. :<

Unread post by erwil »

Aright, here's the deal. My guild is currently working on Alysrazor, I play MM for that specific fight, and I've been thinking about bringing a pet with me capable of interrupting (For the druid's Fieroblast). We're not missing any buffs, so I thought I could ease the healers' job by having one extra interrupt in our arsenal.

I've gone through the options and ended up with the three pet families that hold the ability to interrupt.
A Moth, Nether Ray and a Gorilla.
^ Above in the order that I like the models most/least, but unfortunately also in the order with the longest/shortest cooldown on their ability. And one of them is also a tenacity pet. :<

I'm a little lost which of them I should go for, and would like some help with choosing the right one.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: LF some help with Interrupts. :<

Unread post by Kalliope »

Bring what you want, IMO. Only gorillas have a smart cast (at least the last I heard) and either of the others should serve you well.

What's your raid comp like? There should be other interrupting classes in there.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

Moths smart-cast theirs too, leaving nether rays as the on-cooldown spammers.
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Kalliope

Oh well bah. I was not aware of this, since I don't use my moth on my troll and Kalliope has a nether ray. Dammit, Castor, stop failing me. xD

YouTube Edition

Fafnir
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Fafnir »

Pet family doesn't matter much. Initiates usually die with time to spare if your raid's dps is up to par. You could, say, dismiss your interrupt pet before the tornadoes spawn and pop out your dps pet for the burn phases, but that sounds like a lot of effort for minimal gain, especially if your tanks need a lot of extra damage on their hatchlings.

If you're talking 10m then interrupts might be sparse, but even with a gorilla the cooldown is long enough that you'd only use it as an "ohnoez someone get the next interrupt, i kicked the wrong thing" emergency basis. Just use what you want. 25m I wouldn't bother with a special pet.

But as fair warning, I wouldn't use it on auto-cast or you might screw the other peoples' kick rotations. Pet interrupts have very short lockouts, and the initiates will recast fairly soon after the lockout. Our shaman with the 1.5s lockout and 5s cooldown wasn't able to get each one, but the rogue with the 5s lockout and 8s cooldown could.
erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

And yes, forgot to add, it's 10 man we're talking about. I've used the dismiss method in the previous tier, but in the current one, there really isn't much point to it (and like Faf said, I think it'd be a very minimal gain).

Our dps consists of a Shadow Priest, either another hunter (plays BM/Surv, but she's unavailable this week) or a warlock (he uses a fel puppy), a retribution paladin and a feral kitty. We've split our dps into two two-man groups (our shadow priest is getting the privilege to fly ;^; ) to kill the druids on North/West or East/South side. Whenever I'm grouped with the paladin, the interrupts haven't been a problem (The druids often die before they get their third cast off). But I've usually got the warlock as my partner and that's when the druids are getting casts off.
Last edited by erwil on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalliope

Fafnir wrote:Pet family doesn't matter much. Initiates usually die with time to spare if your raid's dps is up to par. You could, say, dismiss your interrupt pet before the tornadoes spawn and pop out your dps pet for the burn phases, but that sounds like a lot of effort for minimal gain, especially if your tanks need a lot of extra damage on their hatchlings.
Well, unless the interrupt pet in question is the gorilla, then there's no need to swap pets at all, short of a buff being missing, since all ferocity pets and all cunning pets do the same damage (provided that they're specced the same). I've actually run a few dungeons with my spiders out, since they're specced for PvE in my PvE spec, when my other pets with me have redundant buffs. :) You never know when that extra utility might help. :D

IMO, I'd run with a moth for that fight and not worry about "pet twisting."
erwil wrote:Our dps consists of a Shadow Priest, either another hunter (plays BM/Surv, but she's unavailable this week) or a warlock (he uses a fel puppy), a retribution paladin and a feral kitty. We've split our dps into two two-man groups (our shadow priest is getting the privilege to fly ;^; ) to kill the druids on North/West or East/South side. Whenever I'm grouped with the paladin, the interrupts haven't been a problem. But I've usually got the warlock as my partner and that's when the druids are getting casts off.
Ahh, I see. You're getting into trouble when the raid is divided so that two players with longer interrupt cds are paired together. All right, that makes sense (and you are SO LUCKY to have a ret pally who interrupts!). Will giving yourself a second long cd interrupt be enough to remedy this? Do stuns work as substitute interrupts and can the lock spec that way to compensate? Do you have a shaman healer who could possibly assist with interrupts?

YouTube Edition

Fafnir
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Unread post by Fafnir »

I'm not sure what the interrupt issue is then. You should have the ret on one side, and the feral on the other (and if it is one of those whiny hobag ferals who won't spec into 10s skull bash 'because it's a dps loss' then they should be sat, or yelled at until they do. god forbid they have to interrupt one single fight out of this entire damn tier) and you with silencing shot one one side, and your lock on the other with felhound.

Stuns don't work, but actually we found that incapacitates do (Gouge does, anyway). I tank this fight so my methods of experimenting with things are limited, but you could give scatter shot a try.
Kalliope

Derp, forgot that ferals have an interrupt now. Yeah, just divide the raid accordingly as Faf said and it should be fine.

YouTube Edition

erwil
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by erwil »

Fafnir wrote:I'm not sure what the interrupt issue is then. You should have the ret on one side, and the feral on the other (and if it is one of those whiny hobag ferals who won't spec into 10s skull bash 'because it's a dps loss' then they should be sat, or yelled at until they do. god forbid they have to interrupt one single fight out of this entire damn tier) and you with silencing shot one one side, and your lock on the other with felhound.
Haha! :lol: I'm probably being a bit too big a perfectionist with the interrupting, but I'd love to have that personal o'shit-button though. And I think what you said about changing the groups around, should work perfectly and would save me from switching pets. He does have the talent, so I think that's going to be the first thing I'll ask for when the subject comes up (Had not thought of that to be fair, and I think it must've been overlooked in the previous raid)! I'm sure the healers shouldn't have too much trouble if the druids get their cast off a few times during the fight, if it comes to that. o.O;

Cheers for the help! :D