Skarr/Karkin Spawn Timer and Taming Strategy

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Re: Skarr/Karkin Spawn Timer and Taming Strategy

Unread post by Gimlion »

It's 40 second on Ancient Hysteria.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Lirithiel
Realm: Lightbringer EU

Unread post by Lirithiel »

Ok I just tamed Skarr on Lightbringer EU as BM using Convalescence of Winds buff and Ancient Hysteria from Corehound. I started off with Tame Beast and hit Deterrence when there was about 1 second left on his Fieroclast Barrage. When I hit Tame Beast again I couldn't tame and saw that it was no longer hostile. I thought I had lost the tame to another hunter who was there too but when I looked below my icon I saw that Skarr was indeed mine. :D The cast must have been so fast that by the time I hit Deterrence the tame was already over.
Last edited by Lirithiel on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Impulse
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Tichondrius US

Unread post by Impulse »

I confirm the minimum respawn time is 6 hours, probably with random window time.

I tamed Karkin in the morning last Friday and logged on 6 hours later to witness Skarr spawning few minutes after.
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

saw skarr, skittlelflame and kirix up at the same, not to exited about anny of em but desided to try my luck on skarr.
Was hopeing to get lucky like it did with the crab (his cast actually missed) but no luck. after severl tries i tried on that jump thing to get haste buff but i feel to my doom. so with rez sickness and 15 min til server restart i just hearted off.
Shame though. 3 rares up and no ones gonne be able to get anny.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Impulse
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Impulse »

Akyo wrote:saw skarr, skittlelflame and kirix up at the same, not to exited about anny of em but desided to try my luck on skarr.
Was hopeing to get lucky like it did with the crab (his cast actually missed) but no luck. after severl tries i tried on that jump thing to get haste buff but i feel to my doom. so with rez sickness and 15 min til server restart i just hearted off.
Shame though. 3 rares up and no ones gonne be able to get anny.
What do you mean by "get lucky"?
If you are talking about his big nuke/stun you can force him to use it by using tame beast once then quickly interrupt with silencing shot so you can follow it with tame without worrying.

Also if you fell off the cliff, even if you technically died in the bottom of abyss your corpse will be near land for you to pick up!
Akyo
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Altar of storms

Unread post by Akyo »

i mean, when i tamed karkin his nuke spell missed so i tamed him with no problems. i was hopeing for that little straw of luck on skarr as well but it dident happend.

really? O: you reach your body even though it should have been gone forever!? thats a nice change! i remember falling of the edge back in outland and i couldt res at the world edge and had to take res sickness.

While this feature of the Grimtotem Spirit Guide wasn't exactly intended... - it will still be possible in future for everyone who wishes to tame this NPC to do so
Impulse
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Impulse »

Akyo wrote:i mean, when i tamed karkin his nuke spell missed so i tamed him with no problems. i was hopeing for that little straw of luck on skarr as well but it dident happend.

really? O: you reach your body even though it should have been gone forever!? thats a nice change! i remember falling of the edge back in outland and i couldt res at the world edge and had to take res sickness.
Yep, at least that is the case for Molten Front zone, so no need to take res sickness.
Syanis
Realm: Cenarion circle

Unread post by Syanis »

I got Skarr and Ankha this morning. Very easy indeed. I am BM and SV spec. I know wrong forum but Ankha just strip det (prob not necessary) tame beast - just make sure you are in BM spec. For Skarr run to the air vent 5 hops gets you the buff run back hit tame. He was mine in 3 seconds.
beeyaaw

Unread post by beeyaaw »

I dont know if this is the current time frame on spawns but i have been seeing that most spawn timers for karkin and skarr are between 2-6 hours.. i can confirm that so farm the max is 6 hours.. i tamed karkin at 9am eastern standard time on The server Jaedenar. and i was camping it in and out all day while doing heroics staying in the molten front looking and waiting for the next spawn and low and behold at 545pm eastern standard time Karkin spawned again only not at the north rock but at the south rock by the green spider.. instead of taming him again i was a big a$$ and i killed him in front of an alliance hunter.. and then he and his group came and killed me haha.. but it was worth it.. now i am camping here agian until around 12:45am server time to see if in this 6hour window he or skarr will spawn.. so far looks like 6hour window is correct
schau75
Realm: aggramar

Unread post by schau75 »

Thanks to Nanluin for the great post. Just got Skarr this night After 42.5 hours of pour camping :headbang: damn i was tired and have just waken up after only 4 hours sleep, i missed my new beauty cat :D

I just wanted to post my timeline and im pretty sure of the 4-8 hour spawn like Nanluins first post

Went to Molten front 25/2 and karkin was there at 8am:

08.00am Karkin tamed
03.33pm Karkin spawn
10.36pm Karkin spawn

26/2
02.50pm Karkin spawn
09.10pm Karkin spawn
03.30am Karkin spawn
06.36am Karkin spawn

27/2
02.26 Skarr spawn and WOOOT was tamed by me :headbang:
Zephanian
Realm: Drak'thul

Unread post by Zephanian »

I just couldn't get the Hysteria - Tame - Deterrence - Tame method to work. In my experience Skarr always INTERRUPTED his spellcasting as soon as I hit Tame the second time and just started to cast the Barrage from the beginnig, rendering my deterrence useless.

I got lucky in the end, as he spawned at the top location, where you can have the haste buff. Because if you jump down form the floating island with the wind currents, the buff gets canceled immediately. :roll:
Talaridan
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard (US, Horde)

Unread post by Talaridan »

The Hysteria no longer works if I have heard correctly.

The trick to Skarr/Karkin is to use Silence Shot to stop their "big one", hit Deterrence, and then Tame.
Zephanian

Hysteria itself doesn't give enough haste to reduce the tame time to under 5 seconds. Works only if you have the Convalescence of Winds buff at the same time as well. And that only seems to work on top of the island. So you have to be lucky to have the cat/crab spawn at the correct location.

I just wanted someone to confirm my observation about the cast interrupt. I've read all these guides about how you should interrupt the first tame in the middle of the barrage cast, pop deterrence and tame again (with hysteria and maybe a speed potion on). But as I was saying in my previous post - they seem to cast the barrage THE INSTANT I start taming, independent of their other ongoing casts. Which sucks, because I really don't want to reset my talents to respec to MM just to get a crab pet...
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Definitely confirming the ability to tame while on ancient hysteria AND Convalence. Got up there, cast Hysteria, then switched specs just incase I needed to use Silence shot, but had him tamed before his spell cast.

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Zephanian

I was actually looking for the confirmation of the barrage cast mechanics described above :). I was already lucky enough to confirm the AH + CoW double buff tame myself.
Fen
Realm: Turalyon (Eu)

Unread post by Fen »

Is Skarr stealthed and hard to see on the platforms? and would skarr be detected by NPCscan even if stealthed?

I've specced into MM for silencing shot but not bothered with any haste buffs what sort of haste should i be looking at(where would i check what i already have?) and do the air plumes (on the platform) make much difference if at all?
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

Fen wrote:Is Skarr stealthed and hard to see on the platforms? and would skarr be detected by NPCscan even if stealthed?

I've specced into MM for silencing shot but not bothered with any haste buffs what sort of haste should i be looking at(where would i check what i already have?) and do the air plumes (on the platform) make much difference if at all?
Skarr is not stealthed, and even if he was, getting close enough to him would still trigger NPCscan, especially if using flares.

You may not need the extra haste for them if you have silencing shot, but it won't hurt. You can get the Convalence haste buff (100% bonus I believe) by jumping up the red wind plumes. The easiest to find is the one that allows you to get up to the 'second level' that has the high spawn point and Skitter's spawn point. The buff only lasts 2 minutes however, and also causes ridiculously uncontrolled jumping, so just be careful.

Fen
Realm: Turalyon (Eu)

Unread post by Fen »

Skarr tamed i ghost walked to the platform and eventually had no durability when he popped up so no boow :(, i had to run back to get repaired ghost run but with out ressing myself before spirit healer.

Silencing shot didn't appear to do anything???? but deterrence worked a treat and i got the tame :)

4:30pm turalyon
lo0wthie
Realm: Kazzak

Unread post by lo0wthie »

Hey guys,
I just tamed Skarr (omg, im so happy!). This is what happened for me (Kazzak-EU):

3pm - I started farming Skarr.
5pm - Karkin spawned (north spawn point).
8pm - Karkin spawns again (south spawn point).
1am - Skarr spawns (north spawn point).

I used this macro to tame him (after casting Silencing Shot):

#showtooltip
/cast Deterrence
/cast Tame beast

It helped me alot, cuz I panic when rares spawn and dont really know wtf im doing, lol. :D