How do you pace yourselves when looking for rares?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Jyaki
Realm: Twisting Nether

How do you pace yourselves when looking for rares?

Unread post by Jyaki »

I sadly sit at my desk for hours on end constantly pathing through hyjal look for the cats, turtle and bird pets.
What I am wondering is how long do you guys limit yourselves looking for mobs?
How many times a day you look. how late you stay up, whats your strategies?
Novikova
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Re: How do you pace yourselves when looking for rares?

Unread post by Novikova »

Depends on the rare, how I'm feeling and how many hunters. I tend to take quick little patrols, use NPCscan and a targeting macro. I also tend to be nice to other hunters in the area. I'm looking for X, you want Y. Let's keep an eye out. I answer questions in general, offer advice, read, play DS or PSP (still have so many games to beat T_T), chat on Petopia, talk to people and 'keep busy' without keeping busy. If there really is nothing to do in game or on the web, I set PC to 'stupid loud' and listen for AWOOOOOOGAH' then do some chores, exercise or mess with my cats.

That said, I'll sit for hours if I have to. I won't skip work, eating, bathing or any RL needs for camping though - seems a bit silly to make yourself sick in addition to the stress of camping as it is.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

I camp when I can't be bothered doing anything else. Usually I just check spawnpoints now & then instead.

If I decide I REALLY want something, like a TLPD camp-until-I-get-it camp, I'll play Robot Unicorn Attack (not joking) out of window, or Bejeweled addon in-window (be warned, the announce doesn't actually turn off /g announce...). In these cases, I'll camp till I get it, leaving only for bathroom/food briefly, sometimes for a couple days straight or until I just can't stay awake anymore. I'm stubborn as hell so I tend *not* to limit myself, which winds up being really unhealthy in the long run.
Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

I generally use NPCscan, so I'll tab out, set my WoW sounds off, set it so NPCscan will temporarily turn the sounds back on when it goes off, and watch TV or browse the internet or play my DS. I basically do whatever I was going to do anyway, but with WoW running in the background. I find it a lot easier.
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Zeilla8
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ravenholdt EU

Unread post by Zeilla8 »

I sit there til I pass out, literally and do it over again when I wake up til I get what I want. I'm very stubborn ><. I usually watch tv or edit videos on my other monitor while I'm sitting there. Going on day 33 of my Aaeonaxx camp.

WoW Hunter vids, Vlogs and Cooking!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Zeilla8
Moore
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Venture Co.

Unread post by Moore »

I just sit in the spawn spot, and talk to people/listen to music/ put WoW in a window and watch movies. :P Got better things to do than CONSTANTLY stare at my screen waiting for a dot to show up :o

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

I play MMOTPS game at the moment. Chat with peeps of fourms.

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

4.2 has meant a lot of afk-camping for me. I am so grateful to not be camping pets with multiple spawns or long paths.

Not that I need to be camping. But you know what I mean.

Course, low pop server....I'm biased.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

That's true. That these tend to have confirmed spots and the worst patters are Magria/Ankha who seem to have steady spawn spots means AFK camping is a viable tactic - also nice.

Feathermoon is a medium to high pop server, which means it does feel a bit dicey somedays.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

Novikova wrote:That's true. That these tend to have confirmed spots and the worst patters are Magria/Ankha who seem to have steady spawn spots means AFK camping is a viable tactic - also nice.

Feathermoon is a medium to high pop server, which means it does feel a bit dicey somedays.
Same with my realm, but it's all about speed and I seem to be faster then all the other hunters on my realm.

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Shade
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Alliance: Garona; Horde: Nordrassil

Unread post by Shade »

Jyaki wrote:I sadly sit at my desk for hours on end constantly pathing through hyjal look for the cats, turtle and bird pets.
What I am wondering is how long do you guys limit yourselves looking for mobs?
How many times a day you look. how late you stay up, whats your strategies?
Zeilla8 wrote:I sit there til I pass out, literally and do it over again when I wake up til I get what I want. I'm very stubborn ><. I usually watch tv or edit videos on my other monitor while I'm sitting there. Going on day 33 of my Aaeonaxx camp.
^Pretty much what she said! (And good luck Zeilla on Aoenaxx. He shocked me out of the sky the other day, and that is a gorgeous mount. :) )

I'm damned stubborn. Once I decide I want something in game that requires camping, I will sit there until I get it. My Articus camp for my second hunter took 19 hours-and I already had the bear on my main toon (and rarely used him).

I'll stay until I have to sleep-but even then I'm like, "I've sat this long, he'll spawn as soon as I shut down" Thus I usually end up not being able to sleep and logging back in all blurry eyed and grouchy. I should get that looked into. OCD about a virtual rare spawn is probably not healthy.

As to strategies-I make nice to every hunter in the area. If they are the opposite faction, I'll wish them luck and keep on camping. If they get the tame I cheer for them and go right back to camping. I've had other faction hunters I've done that for help me in a tame later. So good Karma and all that. If I see someone in the same faction camping I'll talk to them. I make some very nice hunter friends that way. :) It also sets up a spirit of cooperation. I promise other hunters to let them know if and when I see a spawn that they are after and ask that they do the same. And some actually bother to let me know, but I always send a note telling them spawn time and location if need be. I'll do the same for the other faction hunters I see who I know are also camping. That is one of the best 'strategies' a hunter could have-and it is one all should. Common courtesy is worth a ton. :)

I have never really limited myself in the amount of time I spend looking, except for the new tames on the front-I've about given up on those until those zones are less crowded. Right now, at every point of the day there is at least one or two other hunters camping the spawn points of pretty much everything. Not worth the trouble. I run by the spawn points for Skarr and Deth before I log out and then when I log in also check on them. Usually.. sometimes I forget to go park myself. But that is about all that I'm doing for them until things calm down a great deal more.
Lotusii
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary/Argent Dawn

Unread post by Lotusii »

When I'd hunt for rare spawns I'd pick a camp spot and park there with npc scan on and do quick flybys every so often while doing other things so I didn't go crazy. I'd stop when I had to go do something important like work or sleep. I never force myself to stay up if I'm tired because being exhausted while hunting would just cause me to get frustrated and it will spawn eventually.
Sig by the AMAZING Sookie.
vanquished14
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Medivh

Unread post by vanquished14 »

I usually set my alarm for odd hours like 4:00 am, 4:30 am, 5:00 am, 5:30 am and try my luck at the late night/early morning rares. I have gone crazy all day camping--I did for Arcturis... and about a two week camp for Aeonaxx--but that was because it was last SB (at the time) and rare spawn mount I needed. I was able to get Frostbitten and Bloody Rare using the early morning method so I suggest that to any "casual" rare camper.

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

I usually spend as much time camping a single spot as possible (shadowmelded of course - Night Elves FTW!) - meaning whenever I have access to my computer. If I get bored or frustrated, I'll do something else for a bit, either finish my main's dailies or quit the game altogether.

When I'm camping.. It's usually all about having my sound turned up, and either talking to people, perfecting my UI (for some reason stuff likes to spawn when I'm working on my UI <.<) or simply browsing some forums and such. If the camp is really important for me, I'll plug in my wireless headset and carry it around my neck whenever I have to go afk.
Konor
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garona

Unread post by Konor »

I usually park at a well known spawn point, turn my computer's volume up and go about whatever I would do anyway. Clean, watch TV, play with my dogs, etc. If I am actually playing the game at the time I'll usually do an occasional circle camp every so often or while I'm waiting for a random queue to pop. Currently camping the TLPD is slowly driving me mad. You'd be surprised how camped that freaking dragon still is.
Sasrei
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: US - Icecrown, Nesinwary

Unread post by Sasrei »

I read posts, and talk to people while camping. I also read the daily blink.. its hilarious.

thank you Ashaine and Kurenio!!!!

SgtSplacker
Realm: Azshara

Unread post by SgtSplacker »

I'll just logoff at the camp spot, if I wake up in the middle of the night i'll log quick and check, when I wake up in the morn i'll check, at odd times i'll check. Eventually i'll get my pet..
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I don't really 'camp' anymore since the last time I did it made my anxiety worse. :x

If I want a pet I do something similar to SgtSplacker - log on, do a fly over, do something else for a while, check again, etc. etc. I found Skoll that way after maybe 3 days while checking every 4 hours(Northrend Teleporter!) or so - it's not the fastest method of camping and I'm sure I could have snagged him sooner, but I'm not in any rush at all.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

pengupuff
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Skywall

Unread post by pengupuff »

"How do you pace yourselves when looking for rares?"

I don't. When I really, really want a rare, I obsess over it and camp for hours.

Luckily for me, none of the new rares really tickled my fancy, except for maybe Skitterflame, but I don't want him SO badly that I'm camping for hours on end.

To put everything in perspective though, I camped 10 hours non-stop for Madexx, 16 hours for Karoma, and even camped 10 hours for OCJ back before his spawn timer was reduced.

"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music." - Angela Monet

Check out my stable!