Etiquette Question: Freshly-Tamed Rare

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Congratulations on your new rare! Now what do you do?

Leave it out at my side while I stand here a bit.
56%
Immediately put it away.
19%
Do the macarena.
24%

Total votes: 62

Wark
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring-US

Etiquette Question: Freshly-Tamed Rare

Unread post by Wark »

If a hunter has just tamed a rarespawn, should they leave the pet out at their side while they're there or quickly put the pet away?

If you leave the pet out while you're standing there (possibly for a little bit as you excitedly tell all your friends that you finally caught it) it's basically an instant notification to other hunters that may pop by that the rare just got snapped up, and they can set their clocks to come back after whatever its minimum spawntime is.

If you immediately put it away, you can better preserve the pristine state of other hunters' cache files and spare some of them the heart attack/disappointment of false alarms.

I'm pretty torn here. Leaning towards leaving it out for a few minutes while I squeal in chats, so that hunters of any faction on patrol can have an easy indication that they have X number of hours until they have any reason to be showing up again. But it's certainly not a universal indicator-- they don't have a guarantee that I'm not some jerk griefing their search without asking me-- and I certainly don't relish the idea of addon/macro false alarms. So Petopia community, I come to you! What are YOUR preferences? What do you do when it comes up?
Kyria
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord & Nesingwary

Re: Etiquette Question: Freshly-Tamed Rare

Unread post by Kyria »

Personally, I stand there for a few minutes with my freshly tamed rare, usually in joy and amazement that I actually managed to get it, before flying off. Better that they have that heart attack and have the chance to ask me, sparing them another six hours of pointless circling, than keep up their camping, never knowing that they could have spent that time doing other things.

Thanks to Vephriel for the beautiful signature! <3
Dragon Cave!

Airwyn
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Scarlet Crusade (A)

Unread post by Airwyn »

I have done both, just standing there afterwards looking at and admiring the pet for a few minutes and I've nabbed the pet then flown off away from the spawnpoint then pull the pet out and check it out there. When you do stand there for a few minutes, like Caelan said, some people will come by and ask when you got it and such and that can certainly save them a LOT of camping by simply saying that it was freshly tamed.

Probably leaving it out for a couple minutes would be the best to help other hunters camping, sure you set off their npcscan alarm and the beast is cached, but now they have 6+ hours to go and reset the cache and go about their lives before heading back to their camp.

Airwyn on Scarlet Crusade US

Amazing sig made by Ashaine! Thank you!

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I stand there for atleast an hour....x3 Just in shock and such.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Splaticus
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf-US

Unread post by Splaticus »

Putting it away immediately suggests we should be shameful or feel guilty that we got the rarespawn, and we shouldn't be. While I am all for not being a jerk on purpose and caching creatures out of spite, if you are out and going about your daily business (which is unfortunately currently where several hot tames are) doing work in game you shouldn't feel obligated not to use your special new pet because it might freak some of the hunters out. I clean out my cache on at least a daily baisis, its not hard to do and I don't begrudge others who are out in the world playing the game caching up my npcscan lol.

Usually though, when I get a rare pet its when I am out looking for it specifically and there is no reason for me to linger the area with it out. I usually hearth back to Org within a minute of the tame. So I guess what I am trying to say is don't feel bad about leaving it out and using it right after you tame it if you have business in the area.
Thanks to Kurenio for the texted ruin of lordaeron sig!
My hunter's stables:
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... t#15849171
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... t#15979749
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

If you've just tamed it and trigger someone's NPCscan you could actually be doing them a favour... at least they know now it's just spawned and won't be back for a while. It's completely different to someone revisiting spawn points just to get their pet out and trigger it maliciously.
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Wark
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring-US

Unread post by Wark »

Splaticus wrote:Putting it away immediately suggests we should be shameful or feel guilty that we got the rarespawn, and we shouldn't be.
This is, I assure you, the utter opposite of what I could even be trying to imply. (I don't think I was trying to imply anything in the first place. Takes too many braincells, mine are preoccupied with "why am I still up" and "oh yeah that's why, WHEEEEE GOT MY PET!!")

I will clarify that I consider "I just tamed this thing and I'm standing here gawking at it" a completely distinct topic relative "I tamed this thing some time ago and now I'm running around its home area doing nothing in relation to its spawning cycle". I'm feeling pretty secure on the second of those questions (and it just got beaten to death last week in its own thread over yonder) so it's of little interest to me. But the former struck me as a less clear thing, that I couldn't recall reading an answer/discussion about before, and of some academic interest. So I asked!

Oh man, if even Wain agrees, I know I can rest secure in that decision! ;)
Lotusii
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary/Argent Dawn

Unread post by Lotusii »

I immediately mount up and leave if I'm not questing/leveling in that immediate area. If I am in fact questing or leveling there I switch to another pet as soon as I can. I've had times when someone's pet set off my NPCscan so I know it's a terrible disappointment. I use the new pet as soon as I am out of it's spawning area though.
Sig by the AMAZING Sookie.
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

Once I recover from the shock, I tend to put it away and let peeps know. Then I run around somewhere!
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

I tend to gawk at it for a bit... But I voted for doing the the macarena. ;3 Because I would if my toon had that dance. Alas she is not Human. She is Elf. I am stuck with a Brittney Spears dance so it doesn't quite work. XD

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

I like to take a bunch of screenshots at the taming spot if I'd been camping for the pet for a long time. After that however, I always do my best to avoid using said pet in its respective area. After I tamed Kirix, I actually went out of my way to get one of the tiny ones so I would have an identical spider I could use in the daily area, without giving anyone heart attacks.
Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Usually I just stand there, can't even place its talent points cause I'm shacking too much. Depending on the rare it can take up to one hour at least before I can play again. :shock:
ImageImage
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

Well even tho I am not a human, I vote for the macarena!

I do stand there for a few minutes, and let fresh hunters know I just got her/him at x:xx time. If they are nice.
Seilahyn
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: US - Skywall/Cenarius Alliance - Nesingwary Horde

Unread post by Seilahyn »

I normally stand around a bit in excitement and let the adrenaline rush wear off. If I remember I take a screenshot of my new pet. If a Hunter comes along and sees it I have no problem letting them know that I just tamed it and when exactly. After a bit, I will mount up and take off back to Stormwind to idle around with it for a while.

I know I'd much rather have my NPCScan go off for a freshly tamed pet than spend wasted hours looking for it. I hate wasting time. I need to feel productive with my time spent.
Ziarre
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore-US, Wyrmrest Accord-US

Unread post by Ziarre »

I squeal for a few moments, and then I hearth. If you come across me, I'm sorry, but I'm spazzing. :lol:
Acherontia wrote:

It's like daring someone to go insult a bunch of kindly old nuns. You'll wind up going back to your friends with a story about how they smiled at your insults and tried to give you cookies, or something.

Shaiel - 110 Night Elf Hunter
Sahkar - 110 Mag'har Orc Hunter
Tumblr!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

If it's Deth'tilac, EVERY HUNTER IN TWENTY MILES already knows and has turned up to watch you tame and potentially interfere or help, so you can stand around for awhile :lol:

For the others, I stand around for a moment or two while I talent/admire the pet, then move elsewhere. If a hunter's not already there when I tamed it, he or she won't know (assuming opposite faction, and I alert /1 to tames anyway in case of campers) if it was tamed a minute or ten hours ago, so I just don't stick around too long.
Comett
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by Comett »

Hmm. It depends. A mixture of both probably... I mean I tend to stand around for a bit but I won't go out of my way to set people's scans off... I will tell them spawn timers and such... but honestly if someone were to QQ at me for daring to keep a freshly tamed rare spawn out for a few moments I'd chuck them on ignore and let my friends and guildies know what a sourpuss they are. I really dislike people who are NEVER happy for others! I mean I totally understand if it's the tenth time you missed the tame or whatever - but still, that's not my fault. I have memories of my month long TLPD camp finally ending and a guy riding over not a minute later and going off at me because he had been there longer. Well really, why haven't I seen you in /who then :x

Mozag
Realm: Several on EU.

Unread post by Mozag »

I don't use NPCScan or any other addon to find rares, but I have absolutely nothing against those who do. I try to remember, after a tame, to either tuck the pet away or HS out of there out of common courtesy, BUT if someone should have the audacity to say something about me being there with my freshly tamed pet for a few minutes..I'd let them know that it is neither my fault or problem that they have chosen to use an addon for finding their pets.
Curzon
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Silver Hand

Unread post by Curzon »

Put it away and then go find another rare.
SgtSplacker
Realm: Azshara

Unread post by SgtSplacker »

I hearth back and spec him immediately then usually put him in the stables. Lots of the pets I keep are collectors items and I rarely use them. What I keep on my hunter is:

Wolf or cat [instance pets for buffs/deeps]
Gator [pvp pet for snare]
Bear [for those tuff tanking situations]
Corehound [for Bloodlusting]
Leave last slot open for taming room or a vanity pet, usually taming room tho...