What is this fire pet?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Anj
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

What is this fire pet?

Unread post by Anj »

Over at Huntsman’s Lodge, someone posted a pic of a “fire” pet. It’s the first time I’ve seen it and I’m stumped.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Remember, this is no sprint. The true test of a hunter tests his endurance over the course of a long expedition.
Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Re: What is this fire pet?

Unread post by Nubhorns »

From here:
meiren07 wrote:I just tamed a raptor ... though its just the ordinary Southern Barrens one, the unique thing about it is that its just a flame patch in the ground >:) Took a while and a friend to help with it. It just needs ur friend to have "Sowing a Solution" quest and timing. Start taming a raptor and just throw the seed as its about to be tamed... Then start the revive spam. If u start casting the revive pet, u probly got the pet :D

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb3 ... rePet2.jpg
Fire with sunder armor. Nice. :)

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Khez
Realm: Darkspear

Unread post by Khez »

Just picked one up myself, took a couple of tries and I can't really comment on the timing, cause I was just randomly tossing the quest item at raptors during end of tame with my mage on other account, and eventually I got a "good one".

Here's some screenshots for those interested;

Attacking the dummy:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13 ... 53025.jpg/

Mend Pet:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/53 ... 53118.jpg/

BIG RED uhmm... PATCH OF FIRE!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... 53137.jpg/

He has the same talent points and skills as any other raptor, but remains untargetable while hovering your mouse over. You can still target it by clicking your pet frame or by using a target command. Had a mob in Twilight Highlands kill it, and then ressed, and it still remained as a fire patch. On my login-screen he looks like a normal spiked raptor.

This probably wont last long, but fun for now.

At the same time, during all these failed tames, I also managed to tame one of them with the "Enrage" buff, so it looks pretty angry and red. The buff on the pet says "Enrage - Pushed too far!" Respeccing/dismissing etc did not remove the buff.
CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Unread post by CrystalKitten »

From Khez's post, it almost sounds like this could be an exploit pet, and not just an appearance buff pet. That is, if it's untargetable by clicking on it (pvp nightmare anyone?).
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave
Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

AAH now I just have to have one, even though it's sure to get fixed - unlike most of the other special buff pets, this guy is actually harder to attack in PVP, so it probably counts as a buff that improves your performance (no matter how marginal said improvement might be)...

WTB a helper on Tarren Mill. <.<

Nevertheless I'm going to get one, just so I can say I did it. XD Having missed all the croc spirits, Grimtotem Spirit Guide and the pet Worgen, this is one I have a chance to try out before it's fixed. Naturally I'll be using it as a cool eye candy only, I would never dare use something like this in competitive play.

Edit: What CrystalKitten said.

Edit2: Also playing around with the quest, you can also choose to get a pink Tallstrider instead of a spiky Raptor. Visually there is no difference, but they do have different family skills and will display differently outside the game.

Edit3: Attempted the tame with Lirithiel, and after some really sucky RNG, we both got one. <3 It may be just me, but this appears to be much more forgiving timing-wise than a lot of the other similar tames - the only reason it took us more than one try was because the raptors didn't want to blow up (and who can blame them?)
Attachments
WoWScrnShot_081811_183403.jpg
WoWScrnShot_081811_183403.jpg (425.37 KiB) Viewed 3582 times
bloodysam
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Scryers!

Unread post by bloodysam »

what is the quest called?? and is it only for one side? thank you for whoever tells me :)

Born a lonewolf...choosen to be with pets!
Thanks for the awwsome signature Pooksie!!
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

EDIT:

Some tips from my experience.

1) The quest is called Sowing a Solution ( http://www.wowhead.com/quest=24566/sowing-a-solution ) Available to BOTH factions. They are the druids from WC, and not associated with the Horde - I think.
2) It requires two quest to be done before it - but they're easy and not part of a chain. It's one of those 'do these two things, then combine em for a third quest'
3) You MUST have a level 29 or higher friend to help. Who hasn't done the quest, obviously.
4) Some pets will catch fire, some will change into clean, plain looks of themselves. It's random, abandon the plain ones.
5) The seeds that make the animals go BOOM have a cast time - tell your friend casting them to wait until about the 9 o clock mark - 1/4 till finish tame. That times it about right.
6) You DON'T need to spam Revive Pet. You can wait a few seconds, so don't mess up your tame cast bar and make sure the pet exploded before spamming it. My friend sort of stood there like uhhhhh while I screamed at her to Revive, but it worked out on hers and mine when I tried it.
7) The pet becomes targetable in duels. At least, my friend's did. Mine didn't. I wonder if this has to do with her wait-to-revive tame.

That's about all I got for now. More info on the way, perhaps.
Last edited by Dialga on Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Oooh, I heard about this from a friend of mine, but didn't know how people were pulling it off. Will be able to tell him now, thanks! :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Haha, this is kind of neat. xD I'd be tempted to get one and name it Calcifer, but I don't have the spare stable slots, and this seems like one aesthetic pet that will be fixed rather soon. Still, it seems fun while it lasts. :) I might end up trying one just for kicks and giggles.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'm gonna have to agree that this pet could mean trouble. It's 'buff' was meant to kill it and if its not targetable, it's definitely an exploit. We really shouldn't be promoting hunters to get an exploit. It's one thing if it just altered the appearance. It's another when it becomes an advantage.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I can confirm that the chain is available to both factions; I believe my warlock did it and she's alliance. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Ner'zhul

Unread post by Kurenio »

I just tamed this, but I won't be using it to pvp this is just a show pet until they take it away from me now. Either way I love it.

My Characters
Signatures thanks to the amazing Sookie,Kuraine,
Rongar, Serenith and Me!
"Follow my heart, Follow my head, I'll follow anything to get to her heart."
12 hunters and 10 other classes being leveled.

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Jessibelle wrote:I'm gonna have to agree that this pet could mean trouble. It's 'buff' was meant to kill it and if its not targetable, it's definitely an exploit. We really shouldn't be promoting hunters to get an exploit. It's one thing if it just altered the appearance. It's another when it becomes an advantage.
It's kind of an odd duck, because you're completely in range of game mechanics. It's not even the sketchy special macro - it's using a quest item on a potential pet. I mean, you're not even really using the Revive method. It's just making something explode during the tame.

My fervent wish is that Blizzard simply makes them clickable, but perhaps they will go the way of Garwal and change them into Raptors and Tallstriders again. Then again, what's stopping them from taming it again if they do? No way to hotfix a regular taming method. I suppose the only possible approach is to make those mobs untameable, but then we lose a good pink tallstrider source.

Mm, either way, don't bring it to BG's.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

It's not really the tame method thats the issue. It's the fact it gives you an upper-hand against players, making it an exploit and against ToS.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

Honestly I hope they make it like the ooze and ghost hydra pets. Make them clickable and let the hunters who tamed them before hand keep them. (sad I missed out on those 2).

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

Okay, couldn't resist getting one. Thanks for the help Kalli. :D

I can't help but find this pet strangely adorable despite not being anything but fire. :lol: I'll try not to get too attached though, I feel an imminent hotfix. ;) Fun while it lasts!

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I cant see this "pet" remaining as it is (fire thingy on ground), since its not really a "pet". Most likely tamed pets will be reverted to thier intended animal counterpart, and a solution to prevent this "bug" will be done.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Golden
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Chamber of Aspects-A, Bloodhoof-H

Unread post by Golden »

Jessibelle wrote:It's not really the tame method thats the issue. It's the fact it gives you an upper-hand against players, making it an exploit and against ToS.
Indeed so. I fully expect Blizz to hotfix this tame to be impossible and fix the ones that have already been tamed - simply because they don't fit the Hunter class. Were the achieved form something more.. normal (see: a form, not just some cround clutter), there might've been a chance of keeping the ones that we managed to tame, but as it is now, I really don't see us being allowed to keep something like this.

@Makoes: Exactly.

I'm guessing that something like this doesn't even have an easy way of applying a form to make it clickable. This kind of fire is obviously only used to spice up already excisting models, and it has no clickable form of its own - for us to be able to keep these, they would have to create said form, which is sadly a bit too much to ask for when talking about a single glitch tame.
Kurenio
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Kurenio »

watch them make a pure fire outland raptor model just for the hunters who tamed it before the fix. I would laugh so hard, but that is wishful thinking.

My Characters
Rongar, Serenith and Me!

Shlee
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Shlee »

... Couldn't resist this fhfhrhrf! AW MAN, is my fire adorable. He's the sweetest little thing. So burny! So fire-y! I love him so.

Would be really neat if they turned it clickable and let us keep it (Adding bounding box or somethin', heck, adunno how they do it in WoW) but I think that's a bit of a pipedream prehaps. I'll enjoy goofing around with him as a little giggles-only-pet while he lasts. It's fun to feign death inside him. Or let him aggro a mob and watch them madly try to stomp him out.

Here's my little fire, Rastal (Named after the undead buddie thar who helped with the tame. He insisted I name him after him, heh) with.. The undeadsie-Rastal and sillyness with flame-druid item stuffs.

Paaarty!

Daffy Troll hunter, and beloved devilsaur Bakar.