Fire Pets are now FIXED

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Paciphae
Realm: Khadgar

Re: Fire Pets are now FIXED

Unread post by Paciphae »

Well, I loved mine. I hope whoever made the executive decision to "fix" them gets bed bugs.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Paciphae wrote:Well, I loved mine. I hope whoever made the executive decision to "fix" them gets bed bugs.
You can love yours as much as the next person but it was an exploit and what they did was the RIGHT thing to do - Hotfix it because it gave hunters an advantage in PvP.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Aleu
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord.

Unread post by Aleu »

Awww, oh well. I got my screenshots at least! And I managed to use him in a guild BT run last night. That was amusing to see a fire patch tank Illidan.

NEW SIGNATURE PENDING... SOON.
{Flight Rising}

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Aleu wrote:Awww, oh well. I got my screenshots at least! And I managed to use him in a guild BT run last night. That was amusing to see a fire patch tank Illidan.
hah! XD

LisaaraPokefarm

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

Paciphae wrote:I hope whoever made the executive decision to "fix" them gets bed bugs.
Yeah, damn these people for doing their jobs.

I'm having trouble accepting the fact that we apparently 'loved' this pet so much but the second the exploit is reverted, we boot our beloved pets out the door. I'm leaning towards "we didn't 'love' our pet, we loved the fact that it was shiny". Again. It's sad that such a lovely skin is going to go down in Petopia history as "You used to be able to explode it to exploit an unintended tame, but they fixed it and now it's lame waaah Blizzard hates hunters".

Now if they'd just fix the rest of the glitch tames either by reverting them or adding the skins as intended tames. :1 I wanted an oil-covered worg at one point, but I don't like the "I'm deliberately messing with the game to get my shiny" aspect.

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

cameralady

Unread post by cameralady »

Ijomi wrote:
cameralady wrote:The ones currently tamed have been fixed, but has the taming method been fixed?

I'm off to retame one and see what's up!!
Blizzard just fixed them, they are obviously not working as intended. At worst, they are a punishable exploit. Why would you do this? :s
Because I can.

I've been looking for a relatively cool raptor - i only use glitch pets or pets with unique skins, that's just how i like things. for a while i've been wanting a unique raptor and the fire patch was it.

Also i've tamed a couple now, they don't seem to keep the fire effect after taming. sucks!!
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

cameralady wrote:
Ijomi wrote:
cameralady wrote:The ones currently tamed have been fixed, but has the taming method been fixed?

I'm off to retame one and see what's up!!
Blizzard just fixed them, they are obviously not working as intended. At worst, they are a punishable exploit. Why would you do this? :s
Because I can.

I've been looking for a relatively cool raptor - i only use glitch pets or pets with unique skins, that's just how i like things. for a while i've been wanting a unique raptor and the fire patch was it.

Also i've tamed a couple now, they don't seem to keep the fire effect after taming. sucks!!
Punishable means banning. You shouldn't try to get something that will probably now get you banned. There's a lot of cool raptors in-game that aren't exploits. Go after those instead of trying to get yourself into trouble. :) It's one thing to like glitched pets that blizzard deemed okay cause of vanity value. It's another ballgame when you try to purposely glitch it again after Blizz just hotfixed(meaning it's not okay) it cause you want it back.

LisaaraPokefarm

Paciphae
Realm: Khadgar

Unread post by Paciphae »

Nubhorns wrote:
Paciphae wrote:I hope whoever made the executive decision to "fix" them gets bed bugs.

I'm having trouble accepting the fact that we apparently 'loved' this pet so much but the second the exploit is reverted, we boot our beloved pets out the door. I'm leaning towards "we didn't 'love' our pet, we loved the fact that it was shiny". Again. It's sad that such a lovely skin is going to go down in Petopia history as "You used to be able to explode it to exploit an unintended tame, but they fixed it and now it's lame waaah Blizzard hates hunters".

Now if they'd just fix the rest of the glitch tames either by reverting them or adding the skins as intended tames. :1 I wanted an oil-covered worg at one point, but I don't like the "I'm deliberately messing with the game to get my shiny" aspect.
I'm not damning the employees who follow the orders they're giving. I'm theoretically damning the one person on top who actually made the call. It's everyone's right as a human being to condemn the actions of any other person. I understand why it was done, but it could've been done *better*.

I loved the fire. I don't particularly like raptors, so yes, the raptor can go free. And not because the fire was "shiney"; because the fire had character that matched my idea of who I play. I normally run with an undead (plagued) bear.

Jessibelle wrote:
Paciphae wrote:Well, I loved mine. I hope whoever made the executive decision to "fix" them gets bed bugs.
You can love yours as much as the next person but it was an exploit and what they did was the RIGHT thing to do - Hotfix it because it gave hunters an advantage in PvP.
No, it was expected and understandable. "Right" is a subjective word. It implies that it was ethical, and from my stand point it most definitely wasn't. All I ever used it for was soloing old instances. I know it had to be done because *some* people would and/or did use it to their advantage, and I know there's no way to single out the offenders. It's just a sad state of affairs that everyone has to pay the price for them. Especially when we all literally pay, every month.

Updated: I'm not paying any more. My account is canceled. The needs of the many may outweigh the needs of the few, but the few don't have to be happy about it.
Last edited by Paciphae on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CrystalKitten
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Llane, Nesingwary

Unread post by CrystalKitten »

Nubhorns wrote:

<.< Well.. I tamed Feathers (my flamingo) before the glitch was known, and I LIKE my flamingo <.< Not a fan of the raptor, but that's just cause of the skin.. The colour just... Well, let's say that having a cat, the colour of that raptor reminds me of unpleasant things, heh.

But yeah, pretty much agree with everything you said, heh.

Also, agree with Jessibelle there, but let people do what they will, and the consequences are on their head :) I saw we try and let this post stay around for people to mourn their extinguished fires, and not turn it into another circular "but I want it" post like the other fire pet posts ended up :)
Thanks to TankPerson for the sig!
My Dragon Cave
cameralady

Jessibelle wrote: Punishable means banning. You shouldn't try to get something that will probably now get you banned. There's a lot of cool raptors in-game that aren't exploits. Go after those instead of trying to get yourself into trouble. :) It's one thing to like glitched pets that blizzard deemed okay cause of vanity value. It's another ballgame when you try to purposely glitch it again after Blizz just hotfixed(meaning it's not okay) it cause you want it back.
I don't mind being banned, it'll give me a good excuse to quit for a while. Also, if anything, i'd get a warning or a three day ban - i've gotten in trouble with blizzard a few times to know that they only instantly permaban you if you're actually threatening another player, and they do eventually erase your strikes if you haven't done anything in a couple of months. So banning doesn't worry me.

Also, you can say i'm a rare hunter, or i only like having a cool/unique pet look rather than liking the pet itself, but i'm not really interested in a raptor skin that's commonly available.

In any case, i've done about 20 tames now. The raptors don't keep the fire effect, and they also don't keep the rage effect.
Ijomi
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Ijomi »

Wishing ill on someone IRL for a video game seems a bit extreme. I'd best check my bed, because I was ticketing lolclowns who were using this pet to grief people in Molten Front on a disappointingly regular basis.

Also, <3 Nub. :hug: Hive mind ftw.

Let me give Runty a good home. :hug:
Flight Rising!
deviantART!

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

Teehee! GM's can restore the flamed versions if you abandoned a spare before the fix, how quaint. You didn't get very far, my little flaming puddle. Oh, boo at me all you want, I use it for RP at level 48. Come ban me if you want, I don't care.

Anyway, the dead rhino tame is far funnier to plop onto a bar counter, shadowmeld, and watch the RP fun roll in anyway. This little guy's only good for DK/Frost Mage fights.
cameralady

i gave it a few more tries, in conjunction with some of the old /script petabandon() bugs. I know they fixed them, but i remembered doing it after the fix by summoning and dismissing another pet before trying the macro. But in every case, the fire wouldn't keep. There's no way to get these guys anymore it seems!!
Teehee! GM's can restore the flamed versions if you abandoned a spare before the fix, how quaint.
I should probably do this with all glitch tames in the future actually. Tame two, name one a really identifiable name, and abandon it. Keep the name for future reference if the glitch is fixed and see if I can't trick a GM into giving me it back. It's good insurance.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

cameralady wrote:
Jessibelle wrote: Punishable means banning. You shouldn't try to get something that will probably now get you banned. There's a lot of cool raptors in-game that aren't exploits. Go after those instead of trying to get yourself into trouble. :) It's one thing to like glitched pets that blizzard deemed okay cause of vanity value. It's another ballgame when you try to purposely glitch it again after Blizz just hotfixed(meaning it's not okay) it cause you want it back.
I don't mind being banned, it'll give me a good excuse to quit for a while. Also, if anything, i'd get a warning or a three day ban - i've gotten in trouble with blizzard a few times to know that they only instantly permaban you if you're actually threatening another player, and they do eventually erase your strikes if you haven't done anything in a couple of months. So banning doesn't worry me.

Also, you can say i'm a rare hunter, or i only like having a cool/unique pet look rather than liking the pet itself, but i'm not really interested in a raptor skin that's commonly available.

In any case, i've done about 20 tames now. The raptors don't keep the fire effect, and they also don't keep the rage effect.
The flames werent rare. Every hunter and their mother had them. So....yeah. :)

LisaaraPokefarm

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

And you guys realize this wasnt just a one person makes the choice, right? It's usually a group of people aka the Devs that make the decision.

ANYWAY

Lets just be happy we had them while we can and drop the whole 'but i want it cause it's shiny! it's not fair!' ordeal. Let's use this post for fond memories.

LisaaraPokefarm

Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

[/quote]
The flames werent rare. Every hunter and their mother had them. So....yeah. :)[/quote]

Oh, goodness, Jessi, I don't think anyone actually believes that. Sure, they were a more common glitch pet than say Garwal or the Ooze due to the low level and amount of easiness to the trick, but they were not altogether 'common'. I certainly attest that to the volumes of whispers I, and I logically assume others, received stepping into any major city.

But, what's done is done. I'm perfectly content with my precautions, and I wish others luck in restoration if they wish for it.
cameralady

Jessibelle wrote: The flames werent rare. Every hunter and their mother had them. So....yeah. :)
Like I said, it wasn't just about rareness, it was about glitchiness. It was about beating the system.

Also my server is extremely backwater, things like this never hit us until it's too late. There's only one guy with the ooze pet and I'm the only one I know of with an oil wolf hordeside. There was about three people, myself included, with the fire raptor.
Mychelle
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kirin Tor

Unread post by Mychelle »

People that actually are abusing these glitched tames are a whole reason in themselves why we are not allowed to keep these glitched tames. I really can not blame blizzard for fixing this if there were people abusing the pet by griefing other players in the molten front.

Also, doings things that you know are a bannable offense, even if you dont really care about the ban or think you can cheat or get around the system, isnt a "free pass" to just do these things. People like this are the reason why we cant have nice things.

I own a glitched oil-covered wolf myself, but I have never used the glitch itself in any sort of fashion to grief another player. Or even cheat myself to have a pet that had advantages over another. The fire-patch pet obviously had its advantages in PVP with nearly being impossible to click on. Not including the confusion it must have caused.
cameralady

Mychelle wrote:Also, doings things that you know are a bannable offense, even if you dont really care about the ban or think you can cheat or get around the system, isnt a "free pass" to just do these things. People like this are the reason why we cant have nice things.
Not to be rude, but yes, it is. If I'm willing to take the chance to not get caught and shoulder the punishment when I do, it really is nobody's business but my own.
Monica Gems
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Monica Gems »

Playing the game to "beat the system" and be ok with getting banned... doesn't make sense. Why not just. Y'know. Quit? Do you rob banks just to "get away with it"? Just because you don't SEE others using an oil wolf, or a flaming pig, or a shiny-footed polar bear doesn't mean they aren't out there. It just means they aren't being used. Pets aren't supposed to be attention-getting trophies (but I guess if that's how you want to play, more power to you).

I'm glad these pets were fixed. One GM response I saw posted elsewhere said that the very type of "pet" it was (elemental, in all technicalities here) was against the spirit of hunters. That was 50% of my complaint regarding them (the other being the targeting issue).