NPCSCAN problems

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: The Scryers (Horde), Argent Dawn (Alliance)

NPCSCAN problems

Unread post by Sukurachi »

ok, so is this addon crap?
I've been camping Madexx, in the hopes of finding the black one. When I look at NPCSCAN the black, brown and green models are already cached as having been found. This is no matter how many times I clear the cache in WoW. And I know it isn't because some passing hunter has a Madexx of that colour out... I'm alone, in the middle of nowhere.

I even tried deleting the black Madexx from the list and re-adding it, and still, it appears with the little "x" next to it, and greyed out.

I'm running WinXP, so no problems with hidden files or anything. I KNOW I'm deleting the right file. Or do I absolutely have to delete the entire cache folder?

A bit of palindromic wisdom:
"Step on no pets!"
Casual player.. don't raid, don't PvP. Suffer from extreme altitis
I love pets - combat or non.
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Andine
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Moonglade

Re: NPCSCAN problems

Unread post by Andine »

The add-on does have its problems. It says to remove an NPC from cache you need to type /npcscan remove (name), but when I do that, all it says is "(name) not found" - for ALL NPCs.
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Unread post by Serenith »

When something gets cached for me, and I want to make sure it will go boom, I just delete the file in the WoW cache called "creaturecache.wdb". Perhaps you aren't clearing it completely? I use a Mac so I can't talk you through Windows filing systems. =(

But yeah, after I delete that file nothing will be cached.

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

As I said, I AM deleting the creature_cache file (whatever its proper name is).

And no matter what I do, those three particular Madexx colours remain cached, along with a number of other mobs... some of which I KNOW I've never seen (there aren't hunter pets, and I haven't spent enough time in the area to have come across them).

"Step on no pets!"
<That Kind of Orc> guild on The Scryers, small, casual LGBT and friends guild, join us Horde-side.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Did you close out of WoW before deleting?

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Sukurachi
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: NPCSCAN problems (solved)

Yup, turned everything off, deleted, then restarted...

AND...
I seem to have solved the problem.

It would appear that NPCSCAN doesn't only look in WoW's /Cache folder for the creaturecache.wdb file.

It would seem that I had a backup of the cache folder on another drive (my computer has multiple hard drives), and somehow, NPCSCAN looked everywhere to find a copy of creaturecache.wdb.

After deleting every single instance of creaturecache.wdb, including those in my Recycle Bin, it FINALLY works properly.

"Step on no pets!"

Sesamee
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'Jaeden

Unread post by Sesamee »

When I want to make sure I clear out a cache I go to the zone I'm looking for a mob in, exit game, and delete BOTH folders in the WoW Cache file. Then I log back in and it's fine. Also make sure you have npcscan set to only show the paths of mobs you're looking for, that way if the path doesn't show up on the map, you know something's wrong. You can turn this on and off easily by going to the search tab, I leave it off most of the time.
Serenith
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US, Bloodsail Buccaneers Classic

Re: NPCSCAN problems (solved)

Unread post by Serenith »

Sukurachi wrote:
After deleting every single instance of creaturecache.wdb, including those in my Recycle Bin, it FINALLY works properly.
Well, at least its working now. I think I can recall a time my BF had a similar issue where he deleted it from the rightful place, but there was another file somewhere and it drove him crazy before he found it.

Adorable avatar by the very talented Lupisdarkmoon! Thanks!

Bryndell
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Azuremyst

Unread post by Bryndell »

I always empty the recycle after deleting, just in case.
Lazurianis
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer: Alliance

Unread post by Lazurianis »

Bear in mind, NPCScan has its problems yes but cacheing in NPC Means you have already found it, (Being Tamed or dead it doesnt matter) sometimes NPCScan will still alert you it is there, however just grab SilverDragon, it always alerts you when a Rare is near, it is a bit buggy, i've been in Stormwind before and it alerts me that I found Deathmaw (A Rare in Burning Steppes) so if it says "Level: ?+" it means its bugged, dont sweat it. >HOWEVER< It will do this for Level ?? Rare Bosses so if its an NPC that makes no sense for, stick to what I said earlier.

“Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.”
― R. Adm. Jay Stark
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Lazurianis wrote:Bear in mind, NPCScan has its problems yes but cacheing in NPC Means you have already found it, (Being Tamed or dead it doesnt matter) sometimes NPCScan will still alert you it is there, however just grab SilverDragon, it always alerts you when a Rare is near, it is a bit buggy, i've been in Stormwind before and it alerts me that I found Deathmaw (A Rare in Burning Steppes) so if it says "Level: ?+" it means its bugged, dont sweat it. >HOWEVER< It will do this for Level ?? Rare Bosses so if its an NPC that makes no sense for, stick to what I said earlier.
The thing with SilverDragon is that it works in a number of different ways. One of these is from cache. If it's not grabbing from the cache, you need to be close enough to see the monster's name for SilverDragon to be able to 'react' to it.

I use both NPCScan and SilverDragon together as they have different advantages. SilverDragon will, indeed, catch rares that NPCScan isn't programmed for (or even *it* doesn't have programmed in) because it reacts to the 'silver dragon' itself. Also, SilverDragon will find them even if cache is full if you have 'mouseover' or 'nameplate' enabled, and get close enough to either mouse over or see the nameplate. However, SilverDragon isn't customizable like NPCScan is to find things that aren't rares. So, long as you don't mind potentially two warnings coming up for some of the rares, I find it worth it to run with both going.
Come see Kurasu's stables!