Tenacity Pet

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
bigbluekitty

Tenacity Pet

Unread post by bigbluekitty »

Hello everyone,

As you can see, looking at my username, I was inspired to be a Hunter because of BRK. Nonetheless, after watching his videos, I still don't know which Tenacity pet I should use, when I'm leveling, soloing, etc. I'm sure this has been asked 100,000,000 times, but I thought I would ask anyway, so I get the most up-to-date info.

I'll appreciate any feedback; I could really use the help.

Thank you,
BBK
Melentari
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Tenacity Pet

Unread post by Melentari »

Personally, I love my beetle. Beetles or turtles seem to be the ones that can take the most punishment. But really, it's very situational. If you really want to find out which tenacity pet you should use, the best option is to go out and try a few and see what you like best. Each one has their features.

Melentari and Tevildo - she tamed him a long time ago.

Nubhorns
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: WrA

Unread post by Nubhorns »

I use my bear for tanking stuff when I need it(which isn't always!). Beetles and turtles don't pull as much DPS as I'd like and fights tend to drag on because of it. You can always use a ferocity pet to "tank" mobs when you're questing and they can do okay normally(my wolf did just fine all the way through Northrend - once I hit Hyjal, though, I needed a tank for a lot of stuff), but with multiple mobs a tenacity pet is probably easiest.

That said, a bear is just my personal choice. I've also used a boar, so it really depends on your playstyle and picking something you like. :)

|| deviantART || armory || magistream ||

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I concur with Beetles/Turtles being the all round best for survivability. (they're identical in terms of abilities and such, so you can take your pick of which species you like better)

If you need AoE aggro, consider a Bear for their Demoralizing Roar.

Honestly, all Tenacity pets are suitable for tanking and soloing, especially if you're just questing on your own. Take a look at each family's special ability and see what might be most beneficial for you and try some out. :) You can't really go wrong with any of them, some just might not have as much utility depending on their individual abilities.
RHMakonea
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord (H/A)

Unread post by RHMakonea »

I love my turtle (Beetles work too) for their all around survivability (can solo raid bosses like Onyxia). When it comes to soloing tough stuff I always use my turtle. I'd recommend them for any situation where soloing is needed. I have also used a boar, bear, and warp stalker in the past and in my opinion they are not as good at surviving as the turtle, but you should try some out and see what you may do better with. I think it all depends on what you want out of your tenacity pet, like I still use my Warp stalker when I need something slowed. Like if you want to pull entire rooms of stuff try out a bear etc. all about what you want. All in all I vote turtle/beetle if you want a tank.

Signature by the Wonderful Britany

My DeviantArt

Harvoc
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Fizzcrank

Unread post by Harvoc »

Well, in terms of overall survivability, Bears and Turtles/Beetles are tied, but only if you leave Demoralizing Roar on autocast and use Shell Shield/Harden Carapace on cooldown, assuming identical conditions. Since that's never true, I'd recommend a bear if you're doing AoE tanking and if you want better overall survivability. I'd recommend a Turtle/Beetle if you're doing mainly single-target tanking and want better "burst" survivability. Other viable choices are a Shale Spider for Embrace of the Shale Spider, which boosts your pet's stamina; a Gorilla for Pummel if you're facing casters a lot so you can interrupt their spells, negating the damage of that spell and reducing the total number of spells cast in the fight; or a Scorpid if you're mainly fighting mobs that can be disarmed, which negates all of their physical damage (or at least most of it, I'm not sure which). I personally go with a Turtle because I already have a Carrion Bird for dungeons in which the DK or Paladin tank didn't take the talents Scarlet Fever and Vindication, respectively. I don't like overlap in my pet families and since the Bear and Carrion Bird families have the same ability, I took the Turtle. Plus, there's a named, unique-skinned rare Turtle, Terrorpene. All of my pets are the most unique-skinned mob in their family or in the two families that share the same ability and usually rares as well. They also all are named in the wild so I keep the same name after taming because I'm lazy, I suck at thinking up names, and their pre-taming names are just so cool!
Kurasu
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Emerald Dreams (EU)
Location: Ontario, Canada, but my heart (and account) is in Europe!

Unread post by Kurasu »

Here here for turtles and beetles for survivability. Both have the same ability, so take your pick as to whether you're a bug man or a reptile man, basically.

For soloing old content, I like using a worm. That way, I can drop a trap, get the worm to Burrow, and have a nice high AOE to eliminate the critters around. Of course A) be prepared to use Deterrence or eat damage since the worm will drop aggro in burrow, and B) you need to be a Beast Master for a worm. Still, if you *are* BM, I highly suggest it.

Other tenacity pets which, to me, deserve mention are:

Bears, for Demo Roar, as mentioned above. The AOE threat is helpful, and the damage lowering is good for their survivability. They're a solid little tank that's easy to get hold of.

Crocolisks, for Ankle Crack (or Warp Stalkers, for Time Warp, though I prefer the croc myself). Slow is a fantastic ability in PVP, the fairly short CD means it's almost always up, and they are very difficult for the opponent to kill. They may not do enough damage to make a good '2v2 arena' pet, but for team-style PVP, I *love* their slowing ability.

Shale Spiders, for Embrace Of The Shale Spider. Having Kings on hand is invaluable. If you're a Beast Master, I strongly suggest keeping one of these around.

Gorillas, for pummel. I personally can't stand gorillas. Maybe too much 'gorilladin' back when they were the 'only' tanking pet. However, their spell interrupt has the shortest CD of all of them. Having a nice spell interrupt might be very valuable.
Come see Kurasu's stables!
bigbluekitty

Unread post by bigbluekitty »

I apologize for my lack of participation, in my own thread. Regardless, I have decided to chose the bear. I appreciate all the feedback that was left.
cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I use a crab and a turtle.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Yay bear! <3

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

meepitco
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nessingway- Main (H) Mannoroth- Secondary (A)

Unread post by meepitco »

I've always used a bear. But I've also used Scorpids, Crabs, beetles, turtles, you name it :lol: I've also used some Feroicity pets, too. Like my lynx for molten front.

imho, it's your playing style, really.

Click the picture, it takes you to my deviantart.

Tumblr is here.