Stances Overriding Commands

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Stances Overriding Commands

Unread post by Acherontia »

So I haven't really done much hardcore soloing since the change to pet stances. I just want to say, it is really aggravating that pet "stances" now override manual commands--i.e. if I tell my pet "move to," it carries on attacking, or will head that way and then turn back.

I have to set the pet to passive, THEN move it, then back to this "assist" stance. If a pet is on "assist" in PvP and I tell it to change target, but if I have a DoT on the current target, it will go running back to the DoTTed target trying to "assist." It's really annoying. I was trying to solo an old WotLK heroic boss today, and had to recall the pet into LoS for heals every now and then, but the pet simply refused to return, or to move to LoS when in Assist due to my Serpent Sting.

I'd like to see manual commands ALWAYS override "stance" behavior until the command is executed.

Wondering if anyone else has run into issues with this, and just needed to vent >.>
Sarayana
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Re: Stances Overriding Commands

Unread post by Sarayana »

I have the problem all the time. I notice it a lot on the airship fight in DS (I forget his name) -- because I dps his dragon first, if I don't set my pet to passive and sic her on the boss, she'll just hang out on the railing of the ship until I turn to the boss, even if I do start the fight by sending her after the boss. As BM, I hate not being able to use KC when it's up. :?

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

This annoys the water out of me. On a fight like Blackhorn, when he lands, pets can't seem to hit Goriona. So I have to take him off Assist, send him to manually attack Blackhorn, then I attack Goriona without worrying my pet is going to run to the side of the boat and look at the dragon to death. The fact I have pet attack and hunter mark in a macro makes this that much more annoying -_-

Edit: just saw Sarayana has the same problem xD
Syriana
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Steamwheedle Cartel

Unread post by Syriana »

I took pet attack off of my macro for exactly this reason. I've grown accustomed to the changes, but they still annoy me. Especially when I tell my pet to attack a new target, he runs a few meters in that direction, and then changes his mind and goes back to what he was doing.
Zuilu

Unread post by Zuilu »

This has caused problems for me a number of times, pets really have a mind of their own now. :|
Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Quivering wrote:This annoys the water out of me. On a fight like Blackhorn, when he lands, pets can't seem to hit Goriona. So I have to take him off Assist, send him to manually attack Blackhorn, then I attack Goriona without worrying my pet is going to run to the side of the boat and look at the dragon to death. The fact I have pet attack and hunter mark in a macro makes this that much more annoying -_-

Edit: just saw Sarayana has the same problem xD
Yup. Pet cant even attack the other dragons either. ><;

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

For raiding it's generally best to have the pet on passive and manually select the target to attack. Not just for a fight like Blackhorn where the pet can't reach certain targets, but any AOE fight as well, because the pets spend so much time ping-ponging to different targets. Also I think as a pet class it's part of our job to manage our pets and not rely on the AI.

But, I do miss the old version of assist stance as well where the pet AI was a bit more intelligent.
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

Yup to all of this--and lol @ "look at the dragon to death" :P

One other thing that irritates me to no end... Has anyone else tried moving their pet with "move to" in combat? Your pet will go back to wherever it was when you entered combat if it was on move to already, and won't go where it's meant to--the whole thing is entirely bugged.
Sarayana
Realm: Ysera-US, Nesingwary-US

Unread post by Sarayana »

peanutbuttercup wrote:For raiding it's generally best to have the pet on passive and manually select the target to attack. Not just for a fight like Blackhorn where the pet can't reach certain targets, but any AOE fight as well, because the pets spend so much time ping-ponging to different targets. Also I think as a pet class it's part of our job to manage our pets and not rely on the AI.

But, I do miss the old version of assist stance as well where the pet AI was a bit more intelligent.
Generally I agree with you, but using a /petattack and a /petpassive macro generally fixes that, while on trash it's just plain easier to keep it on assist and not have to worry about sending it in (and forget)... Generally, I'd say that the right thing to do is to switch between stances on bosses/trash, but well, I forget. *shrug* What's funny is that in the old system, I actually kept my pet on passive. >_<

Much gratitude to Spiritbinder for the signature and Vephriel for the avatar! <3

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Sarayana wrote:Generally I agree with you, but using a /petattack and a /petpassive macro generally fixes that, while on trash it's just plain easier to keep it on assist and not have to worry about sending it in (and forget)... Generally, I'd say that the right thing to do is to switch between stances on bosses/trash, but well, I forget. *shrug* What's funny is that in the old system, I actually kept my pet on passive. >_<
Sometimes on raid trash I like to micro-manage, other times I let the pet /assist. But even on single target fights I've gotten used to hitting CTRL-1 again as soon as I open with a shot, even with the pet on assist, it's almost like I don't trust it to go to the target.