EDITED: Appearance Buff Pets now RETIRED. Facts/Explanations

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Rarehunter1
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Re: EDITED: Appearance Buff Pets now RETIRED. Facts/Explanat

Unread post by Rarehunter1 »

Thanks for testing the quest despawn method some more. I guess I'll update the OP. :(
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Rarehunter1 wrote:Thanks for testing the quest despawn method some more. I guess I'll update the OP. :(
No problem. I'll admit...this is actually depressing. Lol

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Jessibelle wrote:
Rarehunter1 wrote:Thanks for testing the quest despawn method some more. I guess I'll update the OP. :(
It really is... like, I get legitimately depressed if I think about it too much...
I'm just so tired of idiots ruining things for me and other people... :(

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

TheDoomcookie wrote:
Jessibelle wrote:
It really is... like, I get legitimately depressed if I think about it too much...
I'm just so tired of idiots ruining things for me and other people... :(
Same here and normally I don't normally get so upset over a game...but it's like....while I never got SUPER attached to these tames, I still thought they were cool. :(

LisaaraPokefarm

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

I was hoping to get the Oil-stained Wolf on an alt hunter once I leveled him up more. =( Oh well. At least I got the Consumed Thistle Bear with the buff on him awhile ago.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: TW-Shadowmoon

Unread post by Taaveti »

Went ahead and tried taming the lone hunter for about 2 hours (only about 60 tries) with the solo timed-kill method and was not able to tame one with the buff. There were quite a few very close attempts but all I got was 'Your target is dead' right when the tame finished.

It's really sad to see this method gone, especially so when you know personally someone who abuses the trick to use those with damage enhancing abilities (as mentioned in my other post), and knowing that the trick will not be available for all the new MoP bestiaries.

Luckily, GM was kind enough to let me have my 'Shivforbrain' back, and he was even patient enough to help me locate my other pet Screechy (Oiled Fledgeling) when I recited a wrong name (it was close though, but I still feel guilty). It is nice to finally have them back after 10 months when I was making room for all the new 4.2 tames.

I am still deciding whether to have the Consumed Thistle Bear back or not, but that was the only pet with buff that I was never bond with and frankly, I could not even remember his name ><.
Bheleu
Realm: Arathor

Unread post by Bheleu »

Luckily, GM was kind enough to let me have my 'Shivforbrain' back, and he was even patient enough to help me locate my other pet Screechy (Oiled Fledgeling) when I recited a wrong name (it was close though, but I still feel guilty). It is nice to finally have them back after 10 months when I was making room for all the new 4.2 tames.
After reading this I figured I would see if a GM could bring back my Oily Wolf. No dice. Got a generic message back about using buyback for items sold or having a 2 hour window to return honor items. You were very lucky.

Guess I'll just hope that a future patch allows taming them again. I can dream........

Bheleu
Taaveti
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: TW-Shadowmoon

Unread post by Taaveti »

Bheleu wrote:
After reading this I figured I would see if a GM could bring back my Oily Wolf. No dice. Got a generic message back about using buyback for items sold or having a 2 hour window to return honor items. You were very lucky.

Guess I'll just hope that a future patch allows taming them again. I can dream........

Bheleu
That sounds quite.. strange... from my understanding the GM treated pets differently than items, for items they could only restore very recent ones and they could only do it for for a limited times over a period. However, for pets they could restore those from way back (about 10 months ago for mine)
Also, looking at the description of the online restore service it does not seem it includes pets.

But then, since the service is not yet available in my region (Taiwan servers), it could be different when it becomes available.

Did you specify that you want a hunter pet restored on your petition? What I did was just sending in a petition asking if I could have my pet named 'X' back, I then got asked when I gave it up to which I replied 'Around the start of patch 4.2). I did not actually specify him having an appearance buff on him so I honestly wasn't sure if I would get him back with the buff or not.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

The you got EXTREMELY lucky getting your pet back with the appearance buff and you're the first I've read about who's requested it and got it back. Lucky you.

Sadly not long ago myself & three others tried taming the oil coated wolves with the quest for three hours. Nothing. One person threw the food and the three of us gals took turns taming one wolf after the other. So many times we thought we'd hit it right on the money. Perfect timing etc. Nope. Every wolf was normal if the tame took. This was actually three or four months ago so I'm suspecting it was truly fixed prior to 4/12.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Taaveti wrote: Did you specify that you want a hunter pet restored on your petition? What I did was just sending in a petition asking if I could have my pet named 'X' back, I then got asked when I gave it up to which I replied 'Around the start of patch 4.2). I did not actually specify him having an appearance buff on him so I honestly wasn't sure if I would get him back with the buff or not.

Long Story Short~ I failed and took mine to arena accidentally. Abandoned and tied to tame another, sadly, permafixed now. So sent in a ticket and asked if possible to get my pet back with his buff?
The GM was happy to restore my pet, and did so, but said he could not restore it with the "oil coat" buff and said there was no way for him to do so. He said the cosmetic buff was not attached to npc number and therefore impossible.

Different people get different responses by the looks of it.

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
JezzebelPop
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by JezzebelPop »

:( I tried and failed to tame an oil stained wolf a while ago, it frustrated me so I decided to leave it... I do this with anything that frustrates me, when I'm ready for a second go it always works out better.

Now I can't ever have one, thanks to all the exploitative idiots out there. All I wanted was a shadowy puppy.

Trying to think if my failed attempts were before or after the hotfix. Pretty sure it was before, time passes too quickly when playing WoW!
snipeypants
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by snipeypants »

I was just curious if the ghost jormungars still work. From the sons of hodir daily quest were you feed them to a ice giant.
(they look like a regular jormungar, but see through)
Olcan

Unread post by Olcan »

This may be the wrong place to post as I'm new to the forums here, but today while doing archaeology in Ashenvale, I spotted a Ghostpaw Runner attacking a stag. During the fight, the wolf turned into a spectral wolf and started attacking with arcane explosion. I tamed it, but it seems to lose that ability once tamed.. Any ideas ?
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Olcan wrote:This may be the wrong place to post as I'm new to the forums here, but today while doing archaeology in Ashenvale, I spotted a Ghostpaw Runner attacking a stag. During the fight, the wolf turned into a spectral wolf and started attacking with arcane explosion. I tamed it, but it seems to lose that ability once tamed.. Any ideas ?
Such things will never retain a special attack like that.

LisaaraPokefarm

zedxrgal

And even if it did retain a special attack like that more then likely its a damage buff which is again Blizzard's TOS because it's considered cheating.

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Yes, exactly. We, as Petopians, do not support the cheating type of tames.

LisaaraPokefarm

deadman

Unread post by deadman »

I always hoped Blizzard would reclassify the combat related buffs on tamable mobs as "debuffs", while leaving the cosmetic changes as "buffs", so that when tamed we'd get the appearance but automatically lose any sort of combat effects. I guess they decided this was too much work to separate them and just said "Nope." T_T

BTW, those shadow cats in End Time.. the shadow buff was not merely cosmetic. It reduced incoming damage by 99% o_o
I had one for a very short period of time for testing before paranoia kicked in and I let it go, once I realized that 2x hunters + 1x rogue could MD enough threat for it to hold agro in a raid boss situation ^^;;; AOEs only did 0.1% normal damage to it (1/1000th for those who don't like percentages,) so even though it couldn't be crit-proof, it would still be very likely to survive anything any boss could dish out.
... Now imagine how well it would do once MoP hits and cats can be spec'ed Tenacity >.>;;;

The silithid exploit was just one of many that had the potential to ruin this for us, and I guess it just finally happened.
Karalana

Unread post by Karalana »

I have tried for hours to get the Angered Arrakoa Protector with the misty glow. I've failed each time. I read that it was still doable. Is there something I'm missing? Perhaps just timing it incorrectly?
zedxrgal

Please read the recent posts on this and you'll get your answers. :D
But to say it again.
ALL APPEARANCE BUFF PETS HAVE BEEN FULLY HOT FIXED AND ARE NO LONGER TAMABLE.
You will be trying in vain for hours. :lol:

Catnip
Realm: Tarren Mill

Unread post by Catnip »

My oily wolf still got his oily darkness :D

i didn't tame him by death method, but by the method connected to the quest lupus pupus. This should still be possible, soooooooo wolf is stil obtainable you just need and ally to help you out :)
Attachments
Shadow still got it.png
Shadow still got it.png (545.66 KiB) Viewed 3062 times