New Hunter

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Karalana
Realm: Sargeras

New Hunter

Unread post by Karalana »

Hello, I'm a new hunter. I just recently started a draenei hunter on the Sargeras realm and I'm really interested in any tips any one could give me on leveling one. Right now I still have the moth pet. When can we learn to tame our own choice of pets? :lol:
Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Re: New Hunter

Unread post by Kalliope »

Hi! Welcome to the forums - you've made a good choice of class and have come to the right place for advice. :) You can start taming new pets at level 10, so pretty soon!

I'd definitely recommend picking up a tenacity pet early on; they are the soloing hunter's best friend. :) *hugs Ursa, her bear*

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

I could be mistaken, but Survival might be the easiest spec to level as. Then again, I've pretty much been Beast Mastery my entire WoW career and have only briefly dabbled in the other specs. :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

They're all good for leveling, though marks is a little lackluster without chimera shot for so long. Still works, though. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

You can tame a new pet at level 10, when you learn the Taming & Beast Lore skills (I think!). Chances are you can level as whatever spec you like & with whatever pet; they are all pretty strong! At lower levels, you kill things so quickly anyway--and pet family differences don't really become apparent until much later, when they're near fully-talented. Just pick a pet you like, & which has a family skill you like, and try it out!
Galaxy
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Galaxy »

You'll develop your own play style as you mature as a hunter. :) So don't get toooo frustrated if, say, you solo better with a spider while everybody else swears by turtles! I find my play style has me leveling with spiders (anything with a root effect, really), soloing with a worm, and dpsing with devilsaurs. Of course, I can change it up now-a-days, but that's my basic formula.

Why do I solo better with a spider? I am fond of not using MD, short for a later talent you'll get called MisDirect, unless I need to for groups. I concussion shot the target I'm after. The spider roots it, runs up and taunts it, and we're good to go! That's what I mean by play style. You might not find that works for you and a turtle is way better. Know what? THAT'S A-OKAY! :D

So yes, play around with different pets as the previous hunters have said! You'll find the right synergy, promise! :) Though, as someone previously mentioned, tenacity pets are generally easier to learn with as a brand new hunter.

BIG TIP: Make sure you turn OFF your pet's growl when in dungeons. If you have a pet that's really good, growl will make your enemy focus on your pet instead of the tank and the tanks generally get cranky about that. :) All pets have that ability, as far as I know.

Epic Sig by the Epic CandidHeartbeat <3
Azerothian Days

Tobei
Realm: Azuremyst EU

Unread post by Tobei »

Heheh welcome to the wonderful world of hunters! :D I love them so much i'm currently levelling a second. :D

As others have said you will be able to tame your own choice of pet at level 10, and you get a second pet slot at around level 18 i believe :D If you are planning to level with quests a tenacity pet would be ideal as they are excellent at tanking for you (bear, turtle, crab, boar, gorillas,etc). :D However any pet with a snare or trap will be awesome too (for example are spiders, scorpions, monkeys)! :D You will kill stuff really fast at low level though. Mini hunters are so op. ;D

The wonderful thing about hunters is they are great soloists :D within reason of course, (I GO SOLO DEATHWING HC!! :D) but you might find you dont need help with group quests as often as others do. :D

Pretty early in your levelling you will get excellent abilities such as scatter shot (disorients target), disengage (jump backwards :D) concussive shot (slows targets run speed) which are all awesome for surviving :D

God luck and enjoy and have fun and eat cake! :D <3
Karin
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Bad Ash Realms

Unread post by Karin »

One thing's for certain: if you love animals to death, you are gonna end up with making hundreds of hunters. That was my obsession and even if we can tame 25 pets, we got tons more to go and plenty more to come. It's a big world out there. Find whatever pets you will be able to bond with the easiest, and the best way to do that is to experiment and explore with them. You may end up loving an animal you never thought you'd like before.

There are several things you will be able to do other classes cannot. Biggest thing is faking death. Almost always the life-saver. Then you got several trackings so you can't ever accidentally run into a mob unless you're tired or distracted. I find being tired to be a problem especially if a mob scares me by screaming while running towards me. :lol:

You will not ever have the need to buy ammo, as all ranged weapons have unlimited ammo now. We are just that awesome.

Oh, and welcome to Petopia and the hunter community.