New Rare Spawn idea (a rare that you actually hunt)

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

New Rare Spawn idea (a rare that you actually hunt)

Unread post by Royi »

What if......

There would be a spawn, for naming purposes lets call her Nex. She would be a unique model of (insert pet family here). Once she would be tamed (or killed :( ), her spawn time would be short, say 15 minutes to an hour. The thing about her that would be unique is that Nex could spawn anywhere in the entire world. She could spawn in Terrokar Forest, then Silverpine, then Icecrown, then Abyssal Depths, etc. Perhaps she would have 10-15 spawn points in each zone even (or if there could be a way to truly make it a random spawn point). As

Pros:
She would be a pet that a hunter really had to HUNT for. No camping, no spawn point circling. Only you, your mount, and a direction you had a hunch for.

Other ideas:
Her spawning location could determine her level: (Ie spawns in Deepholm, she would be level 82, spawns in Westfall she would be 13, etc)
She could spawn similarly on the same timeframe as the STV Arena chest. Perhaps at 3:00, 6:00, 9:00, and 12:00 server time she would spawn. This could possibly cause a fun "race" to find her in the wild.
Perhaps she would be like Kirix or Ghostcrawler (basically unkillable by any person) ~ Most hunters would be happy about this obviously :) That would make it easy for when a non-hunter see's her up, they could alert their friendly hunter to come.

I posted this in the Lurker thread and felt that perhaps I'd throw a topic out there as well.
Last edited by Royi on Wed May 30, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Congafury
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Tarren Mill

Re: New Rare Spawn idea (a rare that you actually hunt)

Unread post by Congafury »

I like the idea! But to my mind this will result in a lot of drama :)
Don't panic!
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

Me and Veph discussed possibly even having one (or a couple) per continent, making it a bit easier to do a search for the beast.

I was also thinking of one that had a HUGE continent-wide pathing that was completely random. There could be several set branches/loops, of course, but he could walk anywhere along that path, turn around, maybe teleport to a different point on the same (or another) path, when not in combat.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I do think that one per continent might be a little more forgiving to track, then again I know it's not exactly supposed to be easy. Still, a specialized beast that was themed for each continent would be fun.

Cae made the comparison of it being similar to the legendary dogs in Pokemon, since they run around the map while you're trying to pin them down.

It would certainly be thrilling to stumble upon that sort of rare by accident.
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Vephriel wrote:I do think that one per continent might be a little more forgiving to track, then again I know it's not exactly supposed to be easy. Still, a specialized beast that was themed for each continent would be fun.

Cae made the comparison of it being similar to the legendary dogs in Pokemon, since they run around the map while you're trying to pin them down.

It would certainly be thrilling to stumble upon that sort of rare by accident.
I like that idea of one per continent too, that way they could make a couple different models to appease different types of pet lovers (a cat, a spider, a wolf, a spirit beast, etc)

Gimlion wrote:I was also thinking of one that had a HUGE continent-wide pathing that was completely random. There could be several set branches/loops, of course, but he could walk anywhere along that path, turn around, maybe teleport to a different point on the same (or another) path, when not in combat.
That would be fun to track a pet that paths across different zones. What about if it was at the speed of say, the raptor Dart? (i think he's the one that runs fast around)
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

A faster pet would certainly make it quicker to find (I think). Fast enough that you'd have to be on a mount to catch up, and then make it have some neat taming challenge, like the Molten Front Rares.

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

I rather like this idea; I just don't have anything new to contribute, so I've been quiet while pondering. :)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Aeladrine
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Frostwolf, Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Aeladrine »

Same as Kalli. This seems like it would be a lot of fun.(:
• Aela's Pet Journal

Totally fantastic avatars and signatures by Sookie, Nili, Serenith, and Kurenio.
Tumblr || Deviantart || WoW RP Blog

Snowy

Unread post by Snowy »

This sounds like a really clever idea. No doubt it would cause some drama but, hey, what in WoW *doesn't* cause drama already? (: It would be fun to hunt for him/her imo.

Snowy the Sylveon Hoarder ♥
3DS FC: 1263-6698-4911 | FR: EnchantedEcho | PSN: Eviesaurus
My YouTube Channel! (Pokemon related stuffs!)

Royi

Unread post by Royi »

I think it would be fun to be able to search multiple zones. I also like it in which you don't have to wait 6-18 hours for another to spawn in case some uninformed hunter kill the rare because they "weren't BM". (I had another hunter kill Karkin on me because he thought only BM hunters could tame rares and he was MM. Yes, he said rares can only be tamed by BM hunters.)
bluddy
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Alonsus

Unread post by bluddy »

I would like it, in this form -not one per continent- one for the entire world but if killed it would leave a hint behind to everyone in that zone about it's next whereabouts in maybe about 1-2 hours. And it should ofcourse be a neutral pet so it could spawn in lower lvl area's
Gelannerai
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Baelgun

Unread post by Gelannerai »

Cool idea, though I would envision something like that as a cross between Archaeology and a Hunter-specific quest line. Say, taking a quest given by one of the Nesingwary's (Nesingwaries?) to track down an extremely elusive creature. Afterward, the Hunter uses something like the hot/cold Archaeology system to try to track it throughout the game world. The Hunter could even be allowed to have an influence over what type of creature it is through decisions made during the quest line, so Hunters won't all end up with the same thing.
Royi

Unread post by Royi »

Gelannerai wrote:Cool idea, though I would envision something like that as a cross between Archaeology and a Hunter-specific quest line. Say, taking a quest given by one of the Nesingwary's (Nesingwaries?) to track down an extremely elusive creature. Afterward, the Hunter uses something like the hot/cold Archaeology system to try to track it throughout the game world. The Hunter could even be allowed to have an influence over what type of creature it is through decisions made during the quest line, so Hunters won't all end up with the same thing.
Wow a tie in to Archaeology. I like it.

I always thought it would be cool to have things like Mysterious Camel Figurines that were actually rare-pets that would spawn at said location the Mysterious Spirit Beast Figurine was (as an example)
FuzzyDolly
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Velen, Nessingwary

Unread post by FuzzyDolly »

I like the idea. I always thought Blizz should have put in MORE class and race specific quests instead of take them out. They could even have a quest line every 10 levels for a new pet. It would be fun at lvl 10 to have to do a long questline for a specific special pet. It would make a good bonding experience. Maybe even at 10 they could give you the choice of 3 questlines (one for cunning, one for tenacity, and one for ferocity) to do for different pets. You'd have to pick one and could only do one. They could also make the other skins not tameable so it would really show your hunter mentality to other. This way your first pet would truly be special.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Gimlion »

While I'm not sure about at level 10, I do agree they should have kept class specific classes in. Make one for each class ever 15 levels, 20 levels or so. If every class had the option (I don't think a class should HAVE to do a quest, like old Felsteed/Demon classes, or Druid Forms), I don't think they'd complain about any other. Make each quest have an enticing reward at the end of the chain, but make each class quest have similar and equal in power rewards for each level marker, so that no class feels jaded.

You could even have 3 different options within a quest chain (like choosing a side, or going down a certain path) that are each specifically designed to test your capabilities with the spec they represent. Thus, a Holy Pally would fair better in it's own part of the quest than a Prot Pally, no matter how much HP or Mana the prot pally had.

/Back on Topic...

I still think a wondering "rare" is a great idea. Where art thou Noah?