Pet Idea: Fowl

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Re: Pet Idea: Fowl

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

Hate to double post, but I gotta share this!: These birds are known as Guineafowl, and they're so loud that people use them as guard birds to alert them if someone is breakin' in there facility.

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

My grandfather used to keep guinea fowl. They aren't very well tempered and they sound like rusty gates. ;)

But this.... geez...
Crotalus Horridus wrote: Image
At first I thought it was mooning the camera but then I realized that it was the front end... that bird should be the mascot for Dow Corning :P
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Wain wrote:My grandfather used to keep guinea fowl. They aren't very well tempered and they sound like rusty gates. ;)

But this.... geez...
Crotalus Horridus wrote: Image
At first I thought it was mooning the camera but then I realized that it was the front end... that bird should be the mascot for Dow Corning :P
Yeah, Guineafowl from what I've heard aren't the cuddliest of birds unless your raise them with tender love and affection when they're keets.

Oh, and you think the breast air sacs are strange? Wait till you hear the mating call!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0M8pZnNlnI
It's like... well I don't know. I hear the un-zipping of a pant fly, the sound when you slowly slide a credit card over a comb, the sound of a door spring stop being flicked, and a something else. It's just so... weird!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and these Capercaillies sound pretty weird too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7P2J7I ... re=related
Worba
Illustrious Master Hunter
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Uther, Zangarmarsh, Shu'halo, Fenris, Quel'Thalas+
Location: In Sethekk Halls, bothering Anzu (90 runs and counting)

Unread post by Worba »

AFLAC

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

If they actually make Fowls a family and put them in the game, they need a rare white duck named Le' Quack!

But, should he be modeled off of a White Call Duck, or a Pekin Duck? My vote is for Call Ducks, because they're just so cute <3
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

It’s a cute idea. Things like swans, geese and turkeys would probably be better suited then some of the smaller birds. (I know turkeys have ruffed up people before and I know geese have no fear against fighting something bigger then themselves.) I have raised quail myself however and even though they have no problem being mean to other birds they are so skittish and frail I cant see them being a combat pet.
I think just looking for an excuse to have a big fancy bird follow me around. If not as a combat pet then probably as a line of mini pets. :3

Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

While I approve of more bird pets, those abilities you list are just too silly. No. Just no. A simple peck to reduce armor rating or something like that would be fine.

The zoo I used to work at had a West African Guineafowl. The moment I walked into his enclosure to clean he was shrieking right in my ear the whole time. Ow.

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Wassa wrote:While I approve of more bird pets, those abilities you list are just too silly. No. Just no. A simple peck to reduce armor rating or something like that would be fine.

The zoo I used to work at had a West African Guineafowl. The moment I walked into his enclosure to clean he was shrieking right in my ear the whole time. Ow.
*Me ranting on about silliness, if you don't like rants, stay away*
Monkeys can fling there poo.
Let me repeat that, MONKEYS, CAN FLING THERE POO. And you THINK that these abilities are silly compared to THAT!? Ok, so a Bird cannot reclaim it's ancestral roots and take on the aspect of what it used to be, Birds famous for pecking cannot peck at peoples feet to get funny reactions, and WORST OF ALL Birds that are FAMOUS and were DOMESTICATED for such a purpose which is TO BE EATEN CANNOT BE TURN INTO A FEAST AND EATEN?
Oh yeah, and you wanna know what's more silly? A Hunter, TAMING A CHICKEN, to use in Boss Fights! The pet ALONE is silly and the abilities HELP with it's silliness, A PET DUCK IS NO SUPPOSED TO LOOK SERIOUS!
SylviaDragon wrote:It’s a cute idea. Things like swans, geese and turkeys would probably be better suited then some of the smaller birds. (I know turkeys have ruffed up people before and I know geese have no fear against fighting something bigger then themselves.) I have raised quail myself however and even though they have no problem being mean to other birds they are so skittish and frail I cant see them being a combat pet.
I think just looking for an excuse to have a big fancy bird follow me around. If not as a combat pet then probably as a line of mini pets. :3
Keep in mind that Azeroth and Earth are completely separate places (From what I can tell). An Earth Quail can look like a little chicken, but on Azeroth it may be the size of a Devilsaur. Who knows!
Wassa
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Wassa »

You are ranting to a hunter whose main pet is a tallstrider and tamed it for the reason that it is a giant goofy looking chicken. =P

A rare visitor to this forum now that I don't play WoW anymore, but forever a Petopian.

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

I'd love to see some fowl types available, especially something akin to a Muscovy duck. I had several as pets when I was a kid, and I adored them all. They were such sweet birds... unless someone was foolish enough to mess with them. >.> Those claws and that bill could do some damage. O_O

Plus, the thought of having a pet in WoW that randomly huffs and hisses, while wagging it's stubby little tail as an idle animation makes me giggle to no ends.

Grouse could be fun as all get out, too, and of course, I could never say no to having a chicken! :D

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Torachi wrote:I'd love to see some fowl types available, especially something akin to a Muscovy duck. I had several as pets when I was a kid, and I adored them all. They were such sweet birds... unless someone was foolish enough to mess with them. >.> Those claws and that bill could do some damage. O_O

Plus, the thought of having a pet in WoW that randomly huffs and hisses, while wagging it's stubby little tail as an idle animation makes me giggle to no ends.

Grouse could be fun as all get out, too, and of course, I could never say no to having a chicken! :D
Yeah, the prospect of taming something like a Duck or a Chicken can be kinda silly, even though many large fowl are pretty menacing! (Chinese and African Geese are famous for being Loud and Territorial, making great guard dogs!)

Oh, and who could resist animals as sweet as Silkie Bantam Chickens? Just look at that fuzz!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHNw_w- ... re=related
Yoruko
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Runetotem (EU)

Unread post by Yoruko »

Crotalus Horridus wrote:Monkeys can fling there poo.
Monkeys are the exception rather than the rule. I'd say. ;)
Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring, Arathor, Moon Guard(US)

Unread post by Zalani »

Fully support this idea, birds are my fave animals especially chickens and other Fowl.
Must ask this Crotalus, what type of bird(pheasant maybe?) is that in your sig?
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Zalani wrote:Fully support this idea, birds are my fave animals especially chickens and other Fowl.
Must ask this Crotalus, what type of bird(pheasant maybe?) is that in your sig?
It's the rooster of the Lady Amherst's Pheasant. They, along with the Golden Pheasant, are quite pretty birds.
Here is a picture of two Golden Pheasants. One yellow, one red, both male.

Surprisingly, all the birds share one mating dance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAqWSJvQ ... re=related
Zalani
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Earthen Ring, Arathor, Moon Guard(US)

Unread post by Zalani »

Ah, thanks.
There both very pretty pheasants, and the red Golden one is quite the neat bird.
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

They can also apparently grow to enormous size and serve as mounts!

Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Corpsebryde
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Garona

Unread post by Corpsebryde »

Crotalus Horridus wrote:Hate to double post, but I gotta share this!: These birds are known as Guineafowl, and they're so loud that people use them as guard birds to alert them if someone is breakin' in there facility.

Ugh Guinea fowl. At the farm I work at I'm required to take the 2 donkeys for a walk every week because they are fat and there is a huge flock of these scary birds at the house at the end of the road. Every time we walk by they run at us with their scary noises. Little do they know that Jack (one of the donkeys) stomps small animals, lol.

Relating to the post however, I like your ideas. I've read your other posts about new pet families as well. In fact, we need more ideas like yours to make pets even more appealing. I'm tired of 2+ pet families all doing the same thing that 2+ actual classes can do (i.e. agil/str buff that I can never use because there is always a dk and/or warrior in the group). While some of the ideas may sound silly, I think that this type of creativity is just what the game needs. There is so much possibility for creativity within the hunter class, especially with pets, and I feel that the development team falls short somehow. Having each pet family be unique from the next family would make choosing pets so much more fun and strategic in my opinion.

Avatar by Moonlost; Signature by Sookie
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Corpsebryde wrote:
Crotalus Horridus wrote:Hate to double post, but I gotta share this!: These birds are known as Guineafowl, and they're so loud that people use them as guard birds to alert them if someone is breakin' in there facility.

Ugh Guinea fowl. At the farm I work at I'm required to take the 2 donkeys for a walk every week because they are fat and there is a huge flock of these scary birds at the house at the end of the road. Every time we walk by they run at us with their scary noises. Little do they know that Jack (one of the donkeys) stomps small animals, lol.

Relating to the post however, I like your ideas. I've read your other posts about new pet families as well. In fact, we need more ideas like yours to make pets even more appealing. I'm tired of 2+ pet families all doing the same thing that 2+ actual classes can do (i.e. agil/str buff that I can never use because there is always a dk and/or warrior in the group). While some of the ideas may sound silly, I think that this type of creativity is just what the game needs. There is so much possibility for creativity within the hunter class, especially with pets, and I feel that the development team falls short somehow. Having each pet family be unique from the next family would make choosing pets so much more fun and strategic in my opinion.
Thanks, I appreciate that!