My owl changed after the recent patch?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Silversea
Realm: Terenas EU

My owl changed after the recent patch?

Unread post by Silversea »

Hello all. I should have probably introduced myself first, but I'll get to that later.

So a while ago I tamed a winterspring owl since there was no chance I would get olm the wise while in Felwood (It was camped so much).

However, while in my stables today, I notice my winterspring owl is now blue and semi-invisible. A quick look on petopia reveals that only olm the wise holds this pet skin. However I have never seen Olm before, and this was definitely a winterspring owl.

I'm not really sure what happened, as I am certain it was a white owl when I saw it in the stables only a few days ago. I'm not going to complain though!

Is this a known thing or am I the first to notice?
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Re: My owl changed after the recent patch?

Unread post by Tahlian »

Is it possible that that owl you tamed in Winterspring was a named mob called Hell-Hoot? That owl's appearance is somewhat similar, but not identical to, Olm's.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Tahlian wrote:Is it possible that that owl you tamed in Winterspring was a named mob called Hell-Hoot? That owl's appearance is somewhat similar, but not identical to, Olm's.
Hee, that was my thought too.

Is this your bird? ;)

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Silversea

I picked up Hell-hoot yesterday for the sake of uniqueness and I know it isn't him. Here is a screenshot of my ex-winterspring owl.

He has definitely "turned" into Olm.
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-07-08 at 3.14.42 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-07-08 at 3.14.42 PM.png (603.49 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Kalliope

Weird. Maybe something got corrupted in a file?

YouTube Edition

Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Tsuki »

This
Actually reminds me greatly about my starter pet, which was the wolf model humans get
It died at the same time as the quest mob "The Lone Hunter", and... well, my pet disappeared instantly, and the corpse of the lone hunter was named Bucket (my pets name) and was not lootable/friendly... and when I resurrected him, he was the ghost worg (no sword in face thoguh). I still have him in my stables, but I did "evolve" bucket into Karoma. So maybe the same thing happened to your owl? But that would need your pet to die and kill olm...
Humm...
Maybe the ID number got lost and took up whatever was nearest to it? That's what the GM said happened to my pet ._.;

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

I have one other possibility, did you at any point request a pet restore? For an old pet perhaps? Maybe, probably, the owl? If so, the GM might have gotten lazy, or confused, and just thrown Olm's ID into your stable, instead of the winterspring owl, and when the change occurred, your owl morphed.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

Silversea wrote:I picked up Hell-hoot yesterday for the sake of uniqueness and I know it isn't him. Here is a screenshot of my ex-winterspring owl.

He has definitely "turned" into Olm.
Personally, I think some friend hacked into your account, went out and camped and got Olm for you, renamed him to the exact owl you had (copied the specs too), and then released your previous bird.

Clever girl...
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Argent Dawn EU

Unread post by Acherontia »

That's crazy O.O

I hadn't heard of either of those scenarios happening. If it could be replicated.... OH the possibilities :O Pet worgen again, anyone? >.>

I actually had some guy with Bangalash INSIST to me yesterday that it was the cat from HoT. I'm certain he was wrong, but I wonder if there was a chance it "changed?" (It was the NPC Bangalash--I had the quest and he was showing up on my map as a skull, too, in addition to having Bangalash's skin.)
Rarehunter1
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter

Unread post by Rarehunter1 »

OOoooOOOOoooo. I encourage experimentation with this. Perhaps Acherontia is onto something... Hehe. The chance to get some glitch pets again would just tickle my fancy. >:D

Dunno about you, but I'm going to be testing this theory alot in the upcoming weeks... along with some other lovely, complex strats I've came up with recently. ^^
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

I've done a bit of testing but can't seem to replicate it. Wondering what else might do it, and what might have triggered it. /thinking...

Note that I'm guessing you can't get appearance-buffed pets, since the Lone Hunter in the story above didn't keep the knife. Just wondering if it's possible to get, say, a wolf that can shoot webs, or a Varian Wrynn scorpion...
Last edited by Acherontia on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

Someone should try this with a Crocolisk and the Spirit of Koosu... see what happens!
Silversea

Gimlion wrote:I have one other possibility, did you at any point request a pet restore? For an old pet perhaps? Maybe, probably, the owl? If so, the GM might have gotten lazy, or confused, and just thrown Olm's ID into your stable, instead of the winterspring owl, and when the change occurred, your owl morphed.
Nope, not this. Well, I guess it will never be resolved. Oh well, I'm not going to complain!
WildcatTM
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by WildcatTM »

Add "Olm" to your active list, delete your cache, go to where Olm spawns and bring out your Olm to verify that it has the same ID (it'll get cached, providing you also have NPC scanner). I think the more likely scenario is you forgot (or someone tamed it for you).

The NPC IDs are far too drastic to single out corruption and I doubt anyone from Blizzard will replace a normal white owl with Olm.

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

You don't even have to go that far if you have NPC Scan. I have several tamed rares and if my cache is cleared regardless of where I am there'll be a message in my chat window stating that "-------" pet was cached and not found in it's zone. So you don't have to wait to go to Felwood to see if it's Olm with NPC scan.
If you do this ............ please take screen shots.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Helsinki
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Dalaran - US

Unread post by Helsinki »

I posted a thread a while back of a similar case. My friend returned to wow after having quit for a while, and his color changing uldum beetle suddenly had the green and purple skin of the silithid harvester. The beetle he previously had no longer exists in the game - they have been transformed into static brown beetles. I am guessing the npc ID of the beetle in his stable got messed up from that change. He definitely never tamed the silithid harvester and was unaware of its existence. He didn't even know his beetle was the wrong color and model till I pointed it out (he'd been gone a while and cares little about his pets' looks). I was there when he tamed the original one though do I know for sure which model it was supposed to be.
Sarynotsorry - Dalaran
Helgada - Nesingwary
Acherontia
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Yeah, you don't need to be in the same zone for the mob to get cached--just for NPC_Scan to sound off.
Kalliope

I remember that thread now, Swampfox. Good call; that does seem to be what happened again here. :)

YouTube Edition