Sunwing...

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Phantomwolf
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Korialstrasz

Sunwing...

Unread post by Phantomwolf »

I have an ethical question for all the hunters here...Do any of us have the right away to a pet? Let me elaborate, I suppose. I was camping Arcturis for 12 hours straight and lost him to a Blood Elf Huntress because she knew where he spawned and had a macro. I quit playing for a week. I've lost pets to people that post on this very forum, but I've been a good sport. I've never said a bad word about anyone on here. So, I decided to camp Sunwing after getting 2 rares with the recent patch. 2 other hunters are there and they think they can talk me out of leaving the spot. I've been taught since day 1 of pet taming that: "NO ONE has the right away to a pet...even if they have been sitting there for several hours. All pets are up for grabs."

So, the question is, should I stop camping there and let them easily take it?...Or should I sit and wait, and if I start taming it I get it...Even though they were there first?
Last edited by Phantomwolf on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Thanks to Veph for the awesome siggy! I love you!"
Chimera
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Re: Sunwing...

Unread post by Chimera »

I do so just out of common curtesy really. If i get there and theres people sitting there then i dont camp overtop of them. I dont even like hovering within visual sight for that matter, so if im intent on acquiring a timer to work on, i'll sit somewhere out of visual so they dont get panicky and i'll wait till it spawns so i know how long i need to camp. Or of course if im not -that- crazy for it, i'll just keep checking in every so often. It really depends on the spawn timer of the creature.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

It's really up to you...

If you want the pet, but know that after a few weeks the demand will be less and you can come back and pick it up "easier", and your ok with that, just do it. Saves you anxiety, and any possible stress/rage from others. (That and I have heard of many a pet deaths with people fighting of them. It some times ends up being.. *Well if I cant have it, you certainly wont!"... It can get ugly. :? )

However some people love the thrill of the chase, and adding in other people looking for the same pet just makes the hunt even more exciting. That and some people just want a pet just that bad they are happy to risk it being destroyed if it gives them a chance at obtaining it.

Personally the CRZ will and is adding a lot of fuel to the fire regarding these new rares. I too popped over to sunwings spot this morning and saw 2 others, neither of them from my realm. I thought to my self.. " Well I guess it will be harder to find her now :| ..." but I really did not feel up to a fight, nor see it destroyed in the process and left them to it. That and I'll try my luck some time in the dead of the night, I tend to wow late on occasion ;)

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Novikova
Realm: Moooooooon Guard. SC/FM.

Unread post by Novikova »

I honestly don't know where he spawns, so I'm cruising around. Then I get spit on by Horde from other servers. Yaaaaaaaaaay. I was just alt tabbing to see where he spawned. :/ I wouldn't camp on top of someone, I just don't leave autorun on while I alt tab. Guess I'll stealth when I alt tab.
Last edited by Novikova on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Sofia, the remarkably purple spirit cat as drawn by Ket Shi. :D

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
SpiritBinder
Mount Master
Mount Master
Realm: Aman'Thul

Unread post by SpiritBinder »

Novikova wrote:I honestly don't know where he spawns, so I'm cruising around. Then I get spit on by Horde from other servers. Yaaaaaaaaaay.
:lol:

This! ^

One of those in the area (from Saurfang) when I went to have a look did the /shoo /spit /spit

A part of me just felt really sorry for them. -_-

T A N N O NT H E S P I R I T B I N D E R

­
­
­
Novikova

Well, it was funny because I was just like, shucks, southwest corner, south west corner, better find a map, alt tab back in - what the deuce? Guess I found the spot...

http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair ... e&id=50139 - Dragon Lair at flight rising!
Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

I'm on your battle group. I just was there about 10 minutes ago and only saw a troll hunter. Prior to 5:45 pst I had been there since 12ish. If you are referring to someone who has a pretty hot mount... ignore him, he goes away.

I've seen a few come and go during my camp. I figured he likely spawned about 5 minutes after I logged over to raid -_- but meh. If you need help, send me a shout!
Phantomwolf
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

Well, while I posted on the forums I was away from the taming sight and one of the hunters tamed him, and told me the spawn timer. I'm going to circle around and look for him, and hopefully not be bugged. Or maybe I'll just log off, and give up on life for awhile because I lost the pet I really wanted out of this patch... XD
Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Kil'jaeden-A (US)

Unread post by Shadow »

If nothing else. You have my honest gratitude for letting me have Sunwing after I'd been sitting there for 12 hours. Thank you for being kind, thank you for giving me some mercy that others might not have shown on you, and I do hope you enjoy the pets you've gotten today. I gave you the spawn timer as I've said I would and I hope you can have a Sunwing quickly too.

Always be kind to your pets... or else.
When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning
And the future has passed without even a last desperate warning

Blog

Lisaara
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

You'll get him! :D Luckily his spawn timer isn't that long. It's usually around the 4hr mark give or take 10 minutes off the mark.

To reply to the topic at hand, If someone is there first, it's common courtesy to let the person there first have it and not 'cut in line' just because you want it too, so to speak. Not every hunter is courteous but not every hunter is a jerk either. I've had plenty be mean to me but it doesn't make it right for me to be mean to another even if they didn't do anything to me. It'll just end up being an endless cycle of nastiness, yanno? Better to do onto others as you'd want them to do onto you.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Phantomwolf
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter

I'm just not sure what to say right now. Seeing your petopians doesn't make this easier but...You really shouldn't ask someone to leave. Curtosy isn't in the hunter world, it isn't. I go with the flow, I make a macro, sit in the spot and wait. I don't usually care if people have been there or not, but yall pleaded and I wondered if I'd be an...well, to be blunt, a**hole for getting it first. Apparently, I wouldn't have been. "First come, first serve" has never worked for me. Look at my post on Ashtail a long time ago. I've lost more pets than I can count - not to the opposing faction - but other hunters.

...Now I have a twitch about my own class...
pop
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by pop »

Camped for Manas with an Orc camped there too as well (crz, she is from Runetotem, and my Horde Hunter is from Proudmoore). She told me that an Alliance hunter killed Manas mid taming. She logged into her Alliance toon and ask her why, and the Alliance Hunter replied 'If I couldn't get it, neither should you'.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Well Phantom, it's a matter of opinion. Courtesy has worked well for me and many others here as well as the other hunter friends I've made. Either way, I already thanked you for not being nasty when Shade was camping there for 12+ hrs.

We've all lost pets to other hunters. It's true, not every hunter is going to be nice but it never hurts to not be the hunter that ruined someone elses day. Not every hunter is mean either and you'd be surprised how many are courteous(we made several friends throughout the day that wanted Sunwing but didn't sit on us).

LisaaraPokefarm

Chimera
Realm: Nesingwary (H), Silver Hand (A), Moon Guard (A)

Unread post by Chimera »

Phantomwolf wrote:I'm just not sure what to say right now. Seeing your petopians doesn't make this easier but...You really shouldn't ask someone to leave. Curtosy isn't in the hunter world, it isn't. I go with the flow, I make a macro, sit in the spot and wait. I don't usually care if people have been there or not, but yall pleaded and I wondered if I'd be an...well, to be blunt, a**hole for getting it first. Apparently, I wouldn't have been. "First come, first serve" has never worked for me. Look at my post on Ashtail a long time ago. I've lost more pets than I can count - not to the opposing faction - but other hunters.

You've made a perfect example right there why its good to start adding the word courteous into the hunter vocabulary :) You keep losing spawns to other hunters, ones who dont give a crap and do what they want when they want to who they want. You've posted to let out your thoughts and ask if you should do otherwise, now its up to you if you want to be, to put it bluntly, the good guy and take turns and time to get the pet, or be the hunter you despise fighting against and budge in and take it for your own right away with little to no wait time. Its completely up to you who you want to be, but always remember that being a bad guy to someone makes them feel exactly how you do when someone is mean to you.

Frostmarrow by LupisDarkmoon

| Dragon Cave | Magistream | Flight Rising |

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Xakaal wrote:
Phantomwolf wrote:I'm just not sure what to say right now. Seeing your petopians doesn't make this easier but...You really shouldn't ask someone to leave. Curtosy isn't in the hunter world, it isn't. I go with the flow, I make a macro, sit in the spot and wait. I don't usually care if people have been there or not, but yall pleaded and I wondered if I'd be an...well, to be blunt, a**hole for getting it first. Apparently, I wouldn't have been. "First come, first serve" has never worked for me. Look at my post on Ashtail a long time ago. I've lost more pets than I can count - not to the opposing faction - but other hunters.

You've made a perfect example right there why its good to start adding the word courteous into the hunter vocabulary :) You keep losing spawns to other hunters, ones who dont give a crap and do what they want when they want to who they want. You've posted to let out your thoughts and ask if you should do otherwise, now its up to you if you want to be, to put it bluntly, the good guy and take turns and time to get the pet, or be the hunter you despise fighting against and budge in and take it for your own right away with little to no wait time. Its completely up to you who you want to be, but always remember that being a bad guy to someone makes them feel exactly how you do when someone is mean to you.
Couldn't have said it better myself. :)

LisaaraPokefarm

Novikova

Meh, two wrongs don't make a right. Sometimes it's tough to take the higher road. Goodness knows I've seen red when someone tamed something I was camping for. Oooh, I was so tempted to listen to the little devil on my shoulder... Shooooooot it Novi. Shut up, devil. :|

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shadow »

Never asked for you to leave. I just wanted for you to understand my point of view. How would you like it if you'd been sitting for 12 hours and someone swooped in 2 minutes before spawn, took it, and made you wait another some odd hours? As you'd said to me, you would have at least known the tame time, but it wouldn't leave a good feeling, would it?

The law of the jungle is "If it's there, it's mine". But are we really animals? Can we sympathize with others? Can we be happy with what we have and be patient for more? I could wait. When I decide I want something, I wait for it. That's why I was there the first time I saw you check in. That's why I was there the time when you said it's up for grabs.

If I see someone camping, I move on. I don't expect the same courtesy to others. I find it shocking for the fact that, as has been said, everyone else I've come into contact with has been content to wait just to see it spawn/see it tamed/get the timer. I've had more friendly conversations with hunters coming for Sunwing than I thought I'd have. Even when I mistook Aleu and a troll for people who were content to "stack" on Junrei and myself, when I got on Horde side, I was pleasantly surprised and even appalled at myself for having assumed so poorly. I apologized more than once between emotes and actual text to them. I didn't even say anything crude like "Go F yourself you stacker whore". I just wanted to let them know that no one who camps likes to be camped on, spoke to the troll actually. And did /shoo emotes here or there. But I still felt bed.

What you do is what you do. Our opinions won't always match yours. That's what makes humanity diverse. But just try to remember that kindness reflects back onto you. Not always instantly. Karma is divine like that. But I can tell you that, even as I sit here and write this post, I got a comment about the pet you let me have and had yet another friendly discussion with another pet enthusiast who was quite grateful to know about Manas (he didn't like how dark Sunwing is). Might have made another hunter friend.

So, you can tell me that what I did was wrong. I will tell you what you did is right. I don't take any hard feelings from it, but I just wanted for you to know that you've spread a lot of happiness with that gesture. Maybe it falls on deaf ears for some people, but you've made more than just one hunter happy tonight. :3

Blog

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

And hey, now you have two friends on Moon Guard that'll be glad to help you get a rare you want. ^^

LisaaraPokefarm

Shadow
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shadow »

Mhm! We're both very good trackers. I'll let you know when I get my name changed on MG, we can help you, or at least keep an eye out for you.

Blog

Yaone
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Lightbringer

Unread post by Yaone »

I happen to laugh at some of the people though, some guy was announcing he would pay 400 and later 600 g for the tame. Kept my mouth shut but it was pretty funny. Specially since you can't transfer money cross server.

And considering by that time I had been sitting there for about 5 hours, there was no way I would do that ;) Even if it was possible to transfer money :D