The Great Camping Trip

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Quel'Dorei, Nessingwary
Location: Saturo's necromancy class. Karma = World's Worst Necromancer.

The Great Camping Trip

Unread post by VelkynKarma »

(My deepest, deepest apologies. There will be double posting. This story is epic, but must be told in full.)

We all know the tales of the extraordinarily difficult tames. King Krush, Loque'nahak, The Beast, Skoll....all are well-known names for challenging and extraordinarily rewarding tames.

But what of...HUMAR THE PRIDELORD?

That's right. Today I have a different sort of tame story to share with you all, regaling the incredible adventures of Petopians and one pretty black lion.

For those of you unaware, I am a part of the Nessingwary(US) Petopians Guild. Now I've done a few challenging tames in the past, but I've never really had a special 'trophy pet' as it were--a badge of honor for the hunter, to prove one is dedicated and patient. I decided that this Petopian hunter of mine was the PERFECT place to find me a great, challenging, noteworthy tame. And then it hit me: Humar the Pridelord! No one can doubt for the majority of my leveling that Humar is a tough tame, and he'd match my tauren hunter perfectly.

So I worked hard to level myself up to 23 and set out to camp Humar's tree. And THIS is where the fun began.

Silinrul and Jiaphyon of <Ominous Latin Name>

A big thanks to Vephriel for the awesome signature :)

Help my Dragons

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Re: The Great Camping Trip

It started with Gazini (Vephiel on the forums). She heard over gchat that I was hunting Humar and decided to stop by and see how I was doing. But she couldn't see me, since I was hiding on a rock at the time. We partied to find each other, and on impulse she decided to stick around for a while and keep an eye out with me. And so, we started camping!

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... amping.png

We also sent our pets after everything that moved, wiping out cats, raptors, zevrahs and tallstriders in an attempt to make Humar angry enough to come out. We discovered Gazini's serpet slithers out of the ground when summoned, and we even had a little fun with a dance party too when we were bored.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... eParty.png
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... Party2.png

We also began an unusual little practice to fight off boredom. Gazini found a little prairie dog wandering around near Humar's tree and threw a Hunter's mark on him.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... =PDawg.png

It was so teeny and laughable that we began alternating throwing up Marks on the prairie dog, just for a laugh. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Little did we know that this action would have VAST consequences in the future!

Hours passed without incident. We still saw no sign of Humar. A few hunters and other classes from both factions passed by, obviously checking in on the status of our elusive black lion. Fortunately, most of them were understanding enough to leave without incident, knowing the lion claimed. One such hunter was not quite so bright, however.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... heDorf.png

This dwarf kept running around the tree, coming back to us, standing right where Humar spawns, and attempted several times to talk to us in common. The communications were unsuccessful, as neither Gazini nor myself spoke common. We were starting to get nervous, but fortunately he had very little patience and kept logging out for hours at a time. We only saw him twice, and he never stayed for long.

The time remained uneventful. We had now been camping Humar for HOURS, without incident. We watched the sun set in Azeroth and it grew dark, and the moon came out. Our camping had gone well into the night, well like a camping party should! We killed more lions, danced more, chatted, and marked the prairie dog some more.

Then came the newest arrival! Shaon, another guildie, decided to stop by and check out the Hunt for Humar.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... eeOfUs.png

Originally intending to level for her wow-time, Shaon decided to stick with us for the night camping our kitty. So we invited her to our camping party, where she helped us kill monsters with her adorable roly-poly bear. Oh, and let's not forget--she brought the [s'mores]!

Another hour of uneventful (but delicious) camping passed. Shaon joined us in our swap-marking of the prairie dog, who by this point had gained the name of P. Dawg. She also brought up a good point: perhaps Humar the Pridelord, being an extraordinarly clever (or lazy) cat, feared to come out with three awake and alert hunters waiting for him. So we tried our next trick: Feign Sleep (it's the poor hunter's Feign Death, you know).

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... nSleep.png

Unfortunately our pets were quite noisy and I think that ruined the deception. Humar was on to us, and he did not come out. Furthermore, P. Dawg met with an unfortunate end somewhere around here, frozen at the teeny claws of a malicious Lil' K.T., and was replaced by a snake. We kept marking the snake, but it just wasn't the same as poor P. Dawg, y'know?

Now about this time, Makoes was having a very bad instance-running session. After getting stuck in the Stockades 'randomly' half a dozen times, she finally threw in the towel and left. We eagerly invited her to our camping party, which was by this point definitely a party, and she joined us. Shaon broke out a fresh stack of [s'mores] and we danced and camped some more!

Unfortunately by this point we were running out of kindling for our campfire (it was hard to get anything off that tree, you know). So we had to settle for a Hunter's Campfire:

Still no sign of Humar, and we are well into the 7th hour of camping by now. It is so late that even Barren's Chat has gotten tired and retired for the night. The four of us, especially Gazini and I (who have been camping this kitty for seven hours straight, remember) are starting to get a little loopy. The hours blur together--did you know that? Every second we waited, the closer we got to our elusive lion. We decided that P. Dawg had something to do with it as well--perhaps P. Dawg had BEEN Humar the Pridelord, or how else would a prairie dog survive among a pride of lions? Our speculations and suspicions in mind, we waited--patiently, patiently.

A few alliance hunters showed up, much to our fear. We knew we were close to Humar's appearance, and we didn't want him to be stolen! We'd been here for hours after all, and had clearly staked out the area. Our team already had a game plan: if someone tried to steal our kitty, and we couldn't get him back, the kitty would be no more. Fortunately, after a few heart-pounding moments of teasing us, the two hunters took off and left us to our taming.

Then came the next problem: an alliance druid. Why he was out at nearly 2AM server time P. Dawg only knows, but he was searching for duelists and kept trying to trick us into fighting him. We kept our cool, watched our pet AOEs to avoid flagging, and made a game plan. Should Humar choose this time to appear, the rest of the Campin' Gang would tackle him while I tagged my black cat and tamed him. Fortunately, the druid too seemed to lose interest, and after a little prowling, a little dancing, and some roast drood-kitty, he eventually left us.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... eDrood.png

We were now well into our 8th hour of camping, approaching hour 9. All of us bristled with excitement, because we knew he'd be appearing soon; we were well within Humar's spawn timer.

And then...it happened! A black shape suddenly materialized out of thin air, only feet from our campsite. Makoes' rarespawn addon screeched in party-chat that rare-elite HUMAR THE PRIDELORD had appeared. We sat in shock, momentarily taken aback (except for Gazini, who was afk, and sat in...afkness, I suppose). After 8.5 hours of waiting, the object of our patience and insanity finally appeared, and it seemed unbelievable!

The great black lion watched us with beady eyes. Everyone jumped up. Quickly as I could, I abandoned my old friend Crescent the Moonstalker Runt (may he live forever in memory and be blessed by P. Dawg's spirit) and slapped a frost trap down. I tapped Humar to tag him once with a bullet, just in case that pesky druid was still lingering. And then...fumbled! Tame Beast! Where was Tame Beast?! I had moved it to be in succession with a number of other moves, back when I still assumed I would be taming Humar solo. The cat charged. Just as he hit my trap, I found my command and started Taming the heck out of that lion. He broke my trap and hit me once, but Makoes saved the day by leaping in and placing a second, which froze him until the end of the tame process.

And then...the kitty was MINE!

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... ackson.png

After 8.5 hours, at 2:15AM server time, Humar the Pridelord was spawned and tamed. I named him Jackson, after my friend's positively GIGANTIC cat that may possibly secretly be part lion.

Almost as soon as Humar was successfully tamed, who reappeared but P.Dawg? We viewed it as a sign, and immediately knelt before the great beast, offering our thanks and praise.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... Kneel2.png
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... ePDawg.png
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... eKneel.png

We all recognize the value and importance of P. Dawg, and recognize his blessing in the Great Hunt. Each of us has obtained a Prairie Dog Whistle and we suggest you do as well. Whenever you partake of the Great Hunt, simply release your Prairie Dog, and P. Dawg will see that it is good, and bless your hunt for success!

And now, for thanks. I totally could not have done the tame without my good buddies and P.Dawg cult initiates :) Eight and a half hours of boredom, nervousness, and slight insanity could not have been more fun, guys!

The cast:

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... herNow.png

Good job, all :)

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

EPIC!

That's all I have to say about this story. xD

Man, that was the most fun I've had in ages. Nothing quite like long hours of sitting in the same spot while performing OCD rituals to keep you sane (which I don't think it really did...in fact, it may have had the opposite effect, haha).

P. Dawg is assuredly The Barrens deity and I will never look upon a prairie dog the same way ever again.

EDIT: Ahahaha, the Dwarf Hunter is back! I just logged in and he's there. xD
Last edited by Vephriel on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kamalia
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

That was amazing. :lol: Wish I had some buddies to camp out rare spawns with. They just all think I'm crazy when it coms to this stuff. :( *Makes note to join "Petopians" once I get back into WoW again*
I solemnly swear that I shall never harm a prairie dog from this day onward.

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Vephriel wrote:
EDIT: Ahahaha, the Dwarf Hunter is back! I just logged in and he's there. xD
Haha, seriously? Well at least I got Humar first :D
I solemnly swear that I shall never harm a prairie dog from this day onward.
Very good, young pupil. We will make a P. Dawgian Petopian of you yet :D

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Seaiayu
Realm: Rivendare Seaiayu lvl 80 , Kâgome lvl 27

Unread post by Seaiayu »

That is like totally awesome, i know it's only a pve server but we should do a little camping for pets every now and then, it was kinda like rp with the goffy wow phrases, just hunters being hunters while camping a pet ^^. Keep up the good work!
Respect the BLADE!

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Yeah it was very fun. All of us agreed that we would totally do it again someday, so if you ever need camping buddies for a long wait, just call on us :D

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Vephriel

So, we have a second Humar joining in the ranks of the Petopians. xD

After logging in at the same spot that we were at last night, I realized that Humar would technically spawn very soon according to the time. I thought "Ah, what the hell...I'll wait and see if he shows up."

The Dorf was of course there again and was logging on and off being the impatient person that he was:

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/8585 ... 114237.jpg

Nonetheless, I decided to wait out the full 12 hour span since his initial taming. He's rumoured to have a respawn time of 8-12 hours, and I logged in at what would have been around the 9th hour since his tame last night(/this morning). Once the 11 1/2 hour mark rolled by I was beginning to think that I must have missed him earlier, and was ready to be disappointed.

Velkyn/Taigi logged in then and decided to come wait with me.

Suddenly, at almost exactly 12 hours after his first tame, there he is!! I grabbed him and now I, too, own the mighty Humar. :D

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5593/w ... 125549.jpg

I've named him 'Nehjo', which is actually 'Humar' in the Troll language. Pretty cool, huh? ^^
Karathyriel
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Not playing anymore.

Unread post by Karathyriel »

Awesome!

I just don't like the Humar model... :P
VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

I got some nice shots of Veph taming her Humar...

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... zTame1.jpg

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Ka ... zTame2.jpg
Awesome!

I just don't like the Humar model...
I know what you mean, I wasn't very fond of the lions at first. But Humar was a good in-level challenge and he kinda grew on me :)

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Vephriel

Karathyriel wrote:Awesome!

I was the exact same actually. Never cared for the cat models in general, but Humar's just so pretty...and he honestly did grow on me. I actually never even had any intention to tame him...then last night's epic tame happened, and suddenly I wanted to. xD
Kamalia
Realm: Kael'Thas, Nesingwary

Unread post by Kamalia »

VelkynKarma wrote: Very good, young pupil. We will make a P. Dawgian Petopian of you yet :D
Thank you, Master. /bow

I feel kind of sorry for the dwarf. He's missed out on Humar twice now. :|

Chibi-Jen signature done by Sat, all other sigs and avatar done by me.

Hawkshadow
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Ravenholdt

Unread post by Hawkshadow »

LOL nice! I remember back when WoW first came out and humar was -The- pet haha. There would be 5 hunters running around his tree all hating eachother
Zangor
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Lightbringer-US Nessingwary-US

Unread post by Zangor »

this post should be in the art and story forums
Kalliope
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

Oooh! So THAT'S what you all were up to! :D Congrats on the Humars! :) I'll have to make an offering to the great and mighty P-Dawg when I get on next. xD

This reminds me of camping for Krush and having guildies help me fly over the zone. :) For hours. x_x Fun times!

This is the best thing about this guild, IMO. There's a bunch of people out there who fully understand the need to camp.

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Yes, I think by this point we have achieved a level where we are all ready and willing to help each other camp. Even if it doesn't mean actually doing anything other than keeping the person company, it's still loads of fun :)

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Aw, I wish I could have been there to help. But it was an awesome story, congrats! ;)

Vephriel

So I was on YouTube today watching various Hunter related videos, and I found one with some guy taming Humar. During the tame, who should walk right in front of the camera but P. DAWG!

It made me laugh out loud. :3
Ungoro
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Shattered Halls PVP EU

Unread post by Ungoro »

Karathyriel wrote:Awesome!

o.0 I agree that the lion skin for the normal coloured lions is bland, but Humar is the only pet that has been with me to the end of the game. To be honest though they ruined the rarity of Humars skin when they added Pitch, that's why Humar has retired into the stable at level 75 :cry: I miss him so much!

Ungoro of Khadgar

<Disturbing The Peace>

http://dragcave.net/user/Ungoro

VelkynKarma
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Vephriel wrote:So I was on YouTube today watching various Hunter related videos, and I found one with some guy taming Humar. During the tame, who should walk right in front of the camera but P. DAWG!

It made me laugh out loud. :3
Seriously?

IT IS PROVEN! P. Dawg blesses the hunt of Humar the Pridelord!
o.0 I agree that the lion skin for the normal coloured lions is bland, but Humar is the only pet that has been with me to the end of the game. To be honest though they ruined the rarity of Humars skin when they added Pitch, that's why Humar has retired into the stable at level 75 :cry: I miss him so much!
Aw, now that's not right. If you miss him, you should use him anyway. Anybody that gives you crap about it, make him eat their faces. :D

~VelkynKarma

Help my Dragons