The New PetEmote Thread - Incubus Ideas

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard, Hati's Realm

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - Shadowlands Prep!

Unread post by Iowawolf »

I got a question some of my pets when referring to me call me their master I thought females were mistress was this changed recently to just be master now if so all good just curious.
Darknez

Realm: Bloodhoof - EU, Hellscream - EU

Unread post by Darknez »

Each word has many connotations - maybe Blizzard felt it was safer to use Master (as in animal keeper) than Mistress (as in an affair scenario).

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/mistress
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/master
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Iowawolf wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:19 am I got a question. some of my pets when referring to me call me their master. I thought females were mistress. was this changed recently to just be master now? if so all good just curious.
This is a recent change, yes. I received a couple of requests to have it changed or removed because of how the word "mistress" can be used in more... explicit ways and wanted to avoid misconceptions and general discomfort. It's not an entirely bad word however, and I do still have a "classic" version of the emotes that has both Master and Mistress options if you'd prefer. That said it's not as up to date right now since I was focusing on the Master-only version. I am also happy to accept ideas for something else to use in place of both if there's a large enough audience to warrant it.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

Thank you both for the answers it makes sense now why it was changed and as such I have no problems with it now I understand why the change.
Ghosty
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Ghosty »

Hi there! I've been wondering if others have been having issues where certain pet families get mixed up pronouns in their emotes? So far I've noticed it with the chimaera and lizard families!

An example, from my lizard that is set to female, is "Tawny nudges her master affectionately with his nose."

I'm not sure if there's any other families with this issue, but I figured I'd at least bring it up for these two.

*EDIT* Oh, right, a note is that it only seems to happen when pets are set to female!!
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Ghosty wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:08 pm Hi there! I've been wondering if others have been having issues where certain pet families get mixed up pronouns in their emotes? So far I've noticed it with the chimaera and lizard families!

An example, from my lizard that is set to female, is "Tawny nudges her master affectionately with his nose."

I'm not sure if there's any other families with this issue, but I figured I'd at least bring it up for these two.

*EDIT* Oh, right, a note is that it only seems to happen when pets are set to female!!
Whoops! That probably came about from removing the mistress lines and copy/pasting existing lines to fill gaps; I must have fallen asleep while checking the pronouns were correct seeing how many I missed. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check through all of them and post the updated files tomorrow!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

I can't believe how many of those mistakes I left in there. Maybe I really did fall asleep at some point. Yeesh. I believe I got all of them, along with a few typos, so we're hopefully good to go! Please keep me informed if there's something else I missed so the official update can go out cleanly :)
Attachments
CustomEmotes_MasterOnly.zip
(467.22 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

The PetEmote core addon has been officially updated with all the recent fixes, including the complete removal of references to 'mistress' (I hope) and pets should no longer randomly switch gender during some emote strings. No offence to the gender-fluid and LGBTQ+ community. Y'all are awesome.

As always, remember to backup any personal custom emotes you may have before updating as the files will overwrite the existing ones!

Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

Question about German language.

I don't want to overstep any boundaries, but I've been poking around in the code. There's a few things I'd like to customize that aren't set up as customizable. So far I have mine so I can set nicknames for pets, to get around some of Blizzard's restricted characters and restricted names. It's just for myself so far, but I figure even if it were for other people, it's not adding an place to cuss, use derogatory language, or get around Blizzard's filter for those.

The next thing I want to try is setting up a replacement filter for "master", that can be set per pet or per character. Before I do, I want to leave it easyish for me to expand it to German. It's been a long time since I took German classes, and I was only mediocre at it.

TLDR:
Is "ihrem/seinem Herrchen/Frauchen" what I would see in an emote for dative case? I didn't see any of those phrases in the default emote file, so I want to make sure I the declensions I filter will be unambiguous.
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

It seems like the hounds also have the issue of being set to female, but halfway through the emote, it changes :?

Battlenet: Nick#115610
|| Tumblr || Flight Rising || Twitter ||

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Xota wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:18 am Question about German language.

I don't want to overstep any boundaries, but I've been poking around in the code. There's a few things I'd like to customize that aren't set up as customizable. So far I have mine so I can set nicknames for pets, to get around some of Blizzard's restricted characters and restricted names. It's just for myself so far, but I figure even if it were for other people, it's not adding an place to cuss, use derogatory language, or get around Blizzard's filter for those.

The next thing I want to try is setting up a replacement filter for "master", that can be set per pet or per character. Before I do, I want to leave it easyish for me to expand it to German. It's been a long time since I took German classes, and I was only mediocre at it.

TLDR:
Is "ihrem/seinem Herrchen/Frauchen" what I would see in an emote for dative case? I didn't see any of those phrases in the default emote file, so I want to make sure I the declensions I filter will be unambiguous.
Ugh, I'm so sorry it took so long for me to reply to this.

Honestly, I'm all for editing code to make things more customisable! With the whole thing about master/mistress/other title before it's something I would think would benefit those who have a personal idea for what they want to be called without making separate custom emote files for each version.

As for expanding into German, I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with the language myself so I can't help much there. All the phrases are hand-typed for the default emotes, so there's no code that determines the specific word used beyond setting the player gender for that line. In other words, in order for it to use something other than 'master' you'd have to remove 'master' and add the word you'd prefer instead. If there are people willing to help I'd approve of having different languages available!
Alex wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:52 pm It seems like the hounds also have the issue of being set to female, but halfway through the emote, it changes :?
That's weird, I definitely fixed it this time. Have you updated to the most recent version or did you import a custom emote folder? If you have the latest version you won't need the additional file as the corrections will be in the core addon. That said, it does need to be updated to the latest build so hopefully that'll fix it when it's out.

Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

I did update, and that seems to have fixed it? But I'll keep an eye out!

It should be noted, however, that feathermanes have quite a few emotes that just... cut off and don't finish their sentences.

(except this one seems to work sometimes? it seems like it has variants, and only the mouse one works.)

This one is simply weirdly worded, though it does seem like a sentence that just ends abruptly? I thought I'd add it all the same.

And this one is... odd. A gift of what? a wrapped present? a dead critter?

Iowawolf
Master Hunter
Master Hunter

I have noticed Aqiri don't seem to have any emotes whatsoever perhaps there is an update to come otherwise every pet family has them I tamed at least one of each lol.
Jolyroger
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Draenor, Atiesh (Classic)

Unread post by Jolyroger »

I know that last time I played Classic, a couple weeks ago, PetEmote was still working with it. Curse Forge tells me it belongs to "Retail" and will not update it for Classic. Just to give you a heads up.
Jolyroger: Worgen Hunter (Draenor)
Dirus: Night Elf Hunter (Atiesh/Classic)
Shaylis: Night Elf Hunter (Atiesh/Classic)
Nick
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

Unread post by Nick »

It seems like carrion birds have an oddity with their emotes (or at least this one) that misgenders the hunter (my toon is a female nightborne) :?

Ghosty

Unread post by Ghosty »

Found a typo in one of the mechanical pet emotes! It should be "seizes", not "siezes"

Also I know that the mechanical pets are... Mechanical, but I was wondering if it would be possible to give them the option for gendered pronouns in emotes like the other pet families? My hunter has a phalynx that has the soul of his deceased lynx, and it's a little sad to have her emotes use it/its for her now that she's a mechanical :c

(Honestly I'd love to see more emotes for mechanicals that treat them more like animals, instead of just... Hunks of metal? And not of the "haha lifts its leg and has an oil leak" joke kind, which I honestly find... To be kind of a distasteful emote tbh. :? And the one above with the typo bothers me because frankly I don't like the idea that the hunter just sees their pet as something that can be kicked to "fix"? If a hunter can tame mechanicals, they... Should be able to fix something like that without just unceremoniously kicking it. The mechanical emotes just seem so cold and unfeeling, even joke-like, in comparison to all the other pets, and I'd really like to see them get an overhaul. I'd even be willing to help write some if need be!)

*EDIT* Also does anyone have any solutions to getting the editor to work? I've tried to launch it but it always gives me the error of "petemote has not been found in your addon directory, please install it" even when they're... Literally right next to each other in the addon folder :/
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Thank you all for pointing out these issues. I'm going through a grieving process right now so any updates that have gone up may be incomplete. I'll sit down and have a thorough look through once things have calmed down. Apologies for the mistakes and lack of communication lately.

Ghosty

Unread post by Ghosty »

No worries, please take all the time you need!! There's no rush at all, I just wanted to bring it up for the future! Take care of yourself Varethyn.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Okay, it's been long enough. Far too long honestly, between losing my best friend, getting back into raiding in/generally playing WoW and various other stuff. I think though that I'm finally ready to tackle this again.

"How do I get the Editor to work?"

The path got changed with the introduction of WoW Classic! Now when prompted to select the folder make sure you go into the WoW folder and select _retail_. You may need to move the Editor to another folder temporarily to get it to bring up the prompt again.

"Mechanicals emotes feel more like a joke."

I wrote those emotes a long time ago with the idea of gnomes/goblins/crazy tinkers rather than proper hunters and agree that a lot of them are more cringe-worthy at this point. I would love some ideas for this and I shall endeavour to make some new ones myself, for which I'd like some input: Would it be best to stick with robotic-animal themes or start introducing some true-animal features as seen with the rest of the hunter pets? While I like the idea of souls inhabiting robot bodies and mechs behaving like animals, at the end of the day not everyone is going to want to cuddle up with a mechanical tiger or play fetch with a mechanowolf. At the same time they needn't be cold, heartless machines that act on order than on impulse.

As for being able to choose a gender rather than keep them gender-neutral, that's not something I can do short of making separate files for those who'd prefer one or the other. I am happy to do so if it's something people would like, but maintaining multiple versions can get tricky depending on the edit needed. However I have asked EthanCentaurai to look into it as we've agreed that the coding side needs an overhaul after mentioning Xota's suggestions and testing, so maybe it's something we'll see in the future.

As always, I enjoy hearing back from you!

I have already started scouring from the top for mistakes but typos are a common thing when large amounts of text is involved, especially after an overhaul such as removing all lines referring to "mistress" (yes I've still yet found a couple. Oy.) and sadly the Editor does not have a spellcheck function. Copy/pasting all the strings to check in other programs is also a huge undertaking so all feedback on that front is greatly appreciated!

Likewise I'm always open to suggestions, whether it be an addition, a change to an existing emote or if you feel something doesn't fit and/or should be removed. Contributions can be anything - something you think would fit, personal experience, references to characters in media (these would be made rarer or more subtle as needed) and so on. If anyone's curious I have the stats for how many emotes each family currently has:

Aqiri - 18
Basilisk - 27
Bat - 20
Bear - 20
Beetle - 12
Bird of Prey - 17
Blood Beast - 15
Boar - 19
Camel - 25
Carapid - 18
Carrion Bird - 24
Cat - Too many 49
Chimaera - 25
Clefthoof - 12
Core Hound - 28
Courser - 22
Crab - 19
Crane - 27
Crocolisk - 21
Devilsaur - 19
Direhorn - 31
Dragonhawk - 20
Feathermane - 28
Fox - 25
Gorilla - 21
Gruffhorn - 17
Hound - 32
Hydra - 15
Hyena - 33
Lizard - 17
Mammoth - 24
Mechanical - 17
Monkey - 12
Moth - 14
Oxen - 22
Pterrordax - 16
Raptor - 21
Ravager - 20
Ray - 17
Riverbeast - 32
Rodent - 16
Scalehide - 13
Scorpid - 16
Serpent - 17
Shale Beast - 20
Spider - 26
Spirit Beast - 27
Sporebat - 18
Stag - 19
Stone Hound - 21
Tallstrider - 25
Toad - 15
Turtle - 29
Warp Stalker - 22
Wasp - 17
Water Strider - 22
Wind Serpent - 18
Wolf - 35
Worm - 20

Heck, even if you don't feel able to offer any suggestions I'm always curious to know about your experiences with the addon. Favourite lines? A perfectly-timed emote? Feel free to share!
Attachments
CustomEmotes_MasterOnly.zip
(470.96 KiB) Downloaded 150 times

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

Welcome back Varethyn. When I played WOW this addon was my favorite to bond with my pets. Just wanted to give you a :hug:

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig