The New PetEmote Thread - Incubus Ideas

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Finduilas
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Norgannon EU (H) - Thrall EU (H) - Antonidas EU(A)

Re: The New PetEmote Thread

Unread post by Finduilas »

Varethyn wrote:Good catch Findu! It has now been fixed. Daxirax (fun name by the way!) should now look into its mistress' soul as intended. As usual the folder with the updated files is in my first post.

Not sure about the direhorn emotes - my computer does have a tendency to eat them from time to time but they were still there while I was fixing this typo. Hopefully downloading the new files will help.
Thank you Varethyn!
I downloaded the new files and put them in my pet emote folder. I'll keep you updated if my Direhorn will now be more talkative :)
And my Daxirax also has a friend with the same name. Moila's warlock has a voidwalker with exactly the same name. It's funny to see the same name on the pet of a friend. Just think how many names there could be and then both our pets get the same :)

current signature thanks to Ashaine

Findu on Battle.net

Findu's stables

Luxanna
Realm: Elune

Unread post by Luxanna »

Oh hey just a heads up, I started a mage and was using a water elemental. It didn't make any emotes using your update on this thread, when I deleted and re downloaded from Curse they started working again. That was the only pet that did not work it seemed, I forgot to check the warlocks to see if their minions did not work either.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - Silent Pets and Minions?

Unread post by Varethyn »

That's awesome, Findu :)

First up, welcome to the Petopia forums Luxanna! It's a pleasure to see new people around :)
Odd that the water elemental stopped performing emotes; as with the direhorn all the emotes are present in the files. I'm wondering if I mis-uploaded the zip file somehow. Thanks for bringing this to my attention - I've re-uploaded it now along with a few additions, please let me know if this continues and sorry for the inconvenience.

If anyone else also has pets and minions that have been noted to suffer in silence could you please check them and let me know how they fare. Most troublesome right now seem to be the above water elemental and direhorns. Thanks!

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - Puppyish Felhunters?

Well things have been quiet, so I'll assume the above issue is no longer one. However I've received reports that warlock felhunter minions have been using old emotes that give them puppy-like qualities. If other warlocks who use this addon could help check this for me I'd appreciate it. Once again the proper emotes are intact on my end and may well have been another issue with my home computer. Thanks!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I think there was an issue with the dog emote.

"worries it to bits" or something like that when it goes after a bone. I don't think chewing and worrying are the same thing.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - Problem Possibly Solved!

Worry
verb (used without object), wor·ried, wor·ry·ing.
1. to torment oneself with or suffer from disturbing thoughts; fret.
2. to move with effort: an old car worrying uphill.
verb (used with object), wor·ried, wor·ry·ing.
3. to torment with cares, anxieties, etc.; trouble; plague.
4. to seize, especially by the throat, with the teeth and shake or mangle, as one animal does another.
5. to harass by repeated biting, snapping, etc.

Looking at this the term "worry" could work, though I can now agree that perhaps it is better suited to living targets. If it's too bothersome I'll change it for you guys :)

I believe I've corrected the issue with the water elementals falling silent upon adding the custom emotes and new files are available for testing in the first post. Please let me know what happens.

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

The term "worrying" is an old old term I think from English (England) roots. Back from the days of knights in armor etc.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Luxanna

Unread post by Luxanna »

I havent noticed any other problems with it, thank you Varethyn :) I am rather attached to the worrying the bone. You hardly see words like that used anymore. Kinda gives it personality.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

It looks weird and I had someone ask why a dog was worrying on a bone since when people see the word 'worry', chewing it down isn't quite what comes to mind.

LisaaraPokefarm

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

That's great to know, Luxanna :) Thanks!

Hm, since some like it and some don't how about we do a split? I'll change the bone one to chewing and add in a critter to worry? Can't go wrong with more critter emotes :D

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Not at all! That sounds like a good compromise. :3

LisaaraPokefarm

Kintsugi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Elune, Wyrmrest Accord, Earthen Ring

Unread post by Kintsugi »

The whole "worrying a bone" thing...I liked that emote. Its actually current, common usage. Its not archaic, like...er, sorry I forgot who already...the guy who uses blue text in his posts, suggested. Like, if you google "worry" it will pop up a definition at the top for you.
wor·ry
ˈwərē
verb
give way to anxiety or unease; allow one's mind to dwell on difficulty or troubles.
"he worried about his soldier sons in the war"
synonyms: fret, be concerned, be anxious, agonize, overthink, brood, panic, lose sleep, get worked up, get stressed, get in a state, stew, torment oneself More
cause to feel anxiety or concern.
"there was no need to worry her"
cause annoyance to.
"the noise never really stops, but it doesn't worry me"
synonyms: trouble, bother, make anxious, disturb, distress, upset, concern, disquiet, fret, agitate, unsettle, perturb, scare, fluster, stress, tax, torment, plague, bedevil; More
(of a dog or other carnivorous animal) tear at, gnaw on, or drag around with the teeth.
"I found my dog contentedly worrying a bone"
So, if you want a dog shredding a critter, I guess that's fine. But still.

EDIT: Actually, that kinda isn't fine. Its actually kinda disturbing. Maybe it would be ok for a wolf...but...not for a dog. Think about it. Nice, loyal mastiff goes all feral on you and starts shredding a squirrel in front of you and your friends? That's....an awkward Old Yeller moment. *looks for gun* And, I looked at some more definitions. The most common sentence example from several sources for worry meaning to gnaw on, shake, etc is a dog worrying a bone.
Luxanna

Unread post by Luxanna »

I agree with Kintsugi on this as well. It kinda makes the dog seem like its feral/rabid. Considering it is a dog, not a wolf. I could see that working very well with wolf emotes.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Kintsugi wrote:The whole "worrying a bone" thing...I liked that emote. Its actually current, common usage. Its not archaic, like...er, sorry I forgot who already...the guy who uses blue text in his posts, suggested. Like, if you google "worry" it will pop up a definition at the top for you.
wor·ry
ˈwərē
verb
give way to anxiety or unease; allow one's mind to dwell on difficulty or troubles.
"he worried about his soldier sons in the war"
synonyms: fret, be concerned, be anxious, agonize, overthink, brood, panic, lose sleep, get worked up, get stressed, get in a state, stew, torment oneself More
cause to feel anxiety or concern.
"there was no need to worry her"
cause annoyance to.
"the noise never really stops, but it doesn't worry me"
synonyms: trouble, bother, make anxious, disturb, distress, upset, concern, disquiet, fret, agitate, unsettle, perturb, scare, fluster, stress, tax, torment, plague, bedevil; More
(of a dog or other carnivorous animal) tear at, gnaw on, or drag around with the teeth.
"I found my dog contentedly worrying a bone"
So, if you want a dog shredding a critter, I guess that's fine. But still.

EDIT: Actually, that kinda isn't fine. Its actually kinda disturbing. Maybe it would be ok for a wolf...but...not for a dog. Think about it. Nice, loyal mastiff goes all feral on you and starts shredding a squirrel in front of you and your friends? That's....an awkward Old Yeller moment. *looks for gun* And, I looked at some more definitions. The most common sentence example from several sources for worry meaning to gnaw on, shake, etc is a dog worrying a bone.
Except I've never heard anyone use the term 'worry' for anything other than emotional usage. Like I said, I had people on an RP server, the biggest RP server(Moon Guard) mind you, questioning it. That tells me it's not common usage and I personally don't like getting the same question over and over again. I'm not mean enough to yell at em to look it up in the dictionary.

And as for shredding something infront of your friends, I should have you meet my dogs that have shredded their toys infront of people because they can. :P They get easily excited. I personally feel the compromise was a good one unless Vare decides to remove it all together due to the confusion it's giving people.

@Lux - Yeah maybe moving the critter shredding to a wolf would be a bit better and remove this from the dogs. Sounds more suitable.

EDIT: Word History: Worrying may shorten one's life, but not as quickly as it once did. The ancestor of our word, Old English wyrgan, meant "to strangle." Its Middle English descendant, worien, kept this sense and developed the new sense "to grasp by the throat with the teeth and lacerate" or "to kill or injure by biting and shaking." This is the way wolves or dogs might attack sheep, for example. In the 16th century worry began to be used in the sense "to harass, as by rough treatment or attack," or "to assault verbally," and in the 17th century the word took on the sense "to bother, distress, or persecute." It was a small step from this sense to the main modern senses "to cause to feel anxious or distressed" and "to feel troubled or uneasy," first recorded in the 19th century.

It's a word far older than the emotional 'worry' we use today. :) History lesson hooray!

Either way, whatever Vare decides to do with it(change the word to a synonym that's better understood, remove it all together, put it with the wolf instead of a dog, or leave it alone) is fine with me. I just brought it up because it was causing confusion amongst everyday folk.

LisaaraPokefarm

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

EDIT: Please disregard what was here previously. I was confused with something else.

Admittedly I haven't decided what I want to do in regards to it, given how much debate there is over the term. It is a real, albeit old term and thus understandably not very well known among the younger generations. I'm tempted to set up a poll to see how much interest there is in either keeping it as is, keeping it but making a new emote for it and reword the current one, or remove it due to lack of recognition.
Last edited by Varethyn on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kintsugi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Elune, Wyrmrest Accord, Earthen Ring

Unread post by Kintsugi »

Varethyn wrote:
Kintsugi wrote:So, if you want a dog shredding a critter, I guess that's fine. But still.

Luxanna wrote:I agree with Kintsugi on this as well. It kinda makes the dog seem like its feral/rabid. Considering it is a dog, not a wolf. I could see that working very well with wolf emotes.
Bare in mind that the emote in question is for warlock felhunter minions :) Standard dogs and wolves don't currently have the emote but if desired I can add it to wolves, too.

Admittedly I haven't decided what I want to do in regards to it, given how much debate there is over the term. It is a real, albeit old term and thus understandably not very well known among the younger generations. I'm tempted to set up a poll to see how much interest there is in either keeping it as is, keeping it but making a new emote for it and reword the current one, or remove it due to lack of recognition.
Wait....this is for a felhunter? o.O For them, sure. But...huh?!? I thought we were talking about dogs. I'd swear I've seen Jax worrying a bone, but my lock's felhunter never has. Felhunters are another matter. I would expect them to randomly kill things. Honestly, I think mine is trying to kill his master. But, anyway.

Ok...dogs. I vote for no critter shredding, because WoW doesn't have rabies vaccines. And, whoever it was talking about dogs shredding toys...well, imagine your dog suddenly ran off, brought back the neighbor's cat and started mauling it to death in front of you, blood everywhere. That's not a fun image. A stuffed toy is a little different, kinda on par with a bone.

My suggestion for the worry over worrying is just replacing the word worry with gnaw. Gnaw still has some character, more than chew does, and I think everyone knows what it means :)

Wolves.... they can shred critters if they want, cause honestly they could use a tune up. No offense, they have good emotes and all. And maybe my wolves just don't use all that's available or something.

Felhunters..well, they kill stuff.

And completely off topic, my spider is missing a spinneret. That should be plural, cause in nature spinnerets come in multiples of two.
zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

I could have sworn I've seen my demon dog and other canine pets make the "worry" emote. Personally. I say leave it. Mastiff and other breeds of dog ARE meant for hunting and taking prey. So it does actually fit when you think about it. I know many a dog (including my own) who will catch a critter and ............... yes shred it. It's not being rabid. It's pure hunting instinct.

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Okay, ignore everything above. I'm confusing myself with everything else that was going on ugh. *Hits head against a wall.* Sorry for that :( Too many distractions and errors.
I had another look through all the emotes and you're right, the worry emote is available for all of them. Bottom line then is, keep it, change it or remove it. I'll leave it a bit longer to see what you guys come up with then make any changes in a couple days. In the meantime... I'm going back to bed >_>;

Danielfboone
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Draka

Unread post by Danielfboone »

I would keep it. I never had a problem understanding what it meant but then, I am 65 years old :-). If younger people don't get it, a little education is always a good thing :-).
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

@Kin - I was thinking changing it to gnaw would be a good alternative as well so that it's still the same thing but it's a bit better understood and not confused with an emotionally stressed out demon dog clinging to a bone(granted, that's a hilarious image if you think about it).

LisaaraPokefarm