The New PetEmote Thread - Incubus Ideas

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - Blood Beasts

Unread post by Ana »

" Müsli look up at her (pets gender) best friend and purr. " could be it´s best friend if you want gender neutral pets too?

Best friend instead of owner/tamer. I always thought of my pets as my friends for some reason.. and friend is gender neutral :D

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Varethyn
Petopia Artist
Realm: Azjol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Varethyn »

Bowno wrote:What about partner or tamer?
Or it can just %t the hunters name and state the name of the hunter who owns it. Sure, we'd be seeing the hunters name twice, but.. It's an option as well.
%t only works when something/one is targeted by you. Left with no target it would come up with <no target> so sadly that is not possible unless you like to target yourself while idle.
Fawn-Dew wrote:I dont mind the targeted emotes myself, but then I'm not on an rp server, so maybe have it be toggleable? is that possible?
Maybe with some code tweaking but right now neither of us have the knowledge nor time to integrate a toggle feature. I may even leave them be given that it was one comment in an old thread. It just made me think how others felt about them and wanted some opinions.
Tårnfalk wrote:" Müsli look up at her (pets gender) best friend and purr. " could be it´s best friend if you want gender neutral pets too?
Gender-neutral pets could also be an option. Depending on how people would like to RP themselves and their pets I could make another version where all pets are neutral as well, and separately for those who consider their character a particular gender while their pets are neutral.

Just... don't ask for specific families to be neutral other than mechanicals. That would get very complicated :lol:

Regardless, thank you all for the suggestions :)

Current list of gender-neutral terms:
Hunter
Tamer
Companion
Partner
(Best) Friend

Depending on the emote and family I could even go deeper and use things like packmate, flockmate, pridemate etc.

Check out PetEmote here! | Visit my Flight Rising lair!

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Fawn-Dew
Realm: Us-Proudmoore

Unread post by Fawn-Dew »

I really like the sounds of packmate and such terms those sound awesome
Holgarr
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US - Alliance

Unread post by Holgarr »

I really hope we get the crawg emotes soon (yes, I know the other kind exist too, but I refuse to have anything to to with those bat-spider-tick monstrosities).

I finally got the ability to tame then, and for added special quality snuck into the Horde troll citty and tamed a brown one specifically so I could name him Potato.

Because he is an uglycute wee angry potato boy and needs love.
Image Image
Teigan
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore (A), Thrall (H)

Unread post by Teigan »

I'd love to see something other than master/mistress. That was a sticky thing I never really addressed when I was running this show. I wasn't a fan of those terms, but as Jorna was still partially driving then, and at the end of the day, it's her addon, I didn't tackle it. Have you heard from her or contacted her at all? Last I heard, she'd quit WoW. Anyway, I think those terms were used as PetEmote was originally not written in English and those terms might not have had the bit of awkwardness they can have in English. Those are some really good suggestions for it, especially the family-specific terms. Heck, I'd probably be convinced to start using it again if you did that and my tallstriders called me "flockmate"!
Ivierette
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Ivierette »

My warlock is a man using the female aesthetic because male humans are awful so this mistress thing is driving me up the wall. Plus, the editor refuses to work. Going to fiddle with it more.
Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I was feeling nostalgic today and decided to reinstall PetEmote.

One of the reasons I stopped using it was because it didn't used to cooperate with my RP addon, and I'm not sure when that changed, but suddenly it works again! :D It's nice to get reacquainted with my pets' personalities. I'm so glad this addon's been maintained over all these years. :hug:
Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

I resently installed the pet emote addon.. but every time I log out it reset the settings i have given to the pet.. aka my spirit beast i set to male and cat family.. when I log in he is a spirit beast

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

after reinstalling the addon, clearing my cache, trying to set family to both Wolf, wolf, wolves and Wolves and still show up as spirit beast emotes :(

Jorna
Realm: Zirkel des Cenarius (EU)

Unread post by Jorna »

Glad to see that my addon is still alive. So am I. Just wanted to say "Hi!" to your fluffy pets. ;-)

@Varethyn / @Ethan Centaurai
Are you still looking for the Editor's source code? I still have it in my archive. :-D PM me if you need it.
thousandmouthed
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: The New PetEmote Thread

Unread post by thousandmouthed »

Hello! I just found out about this addon after years of seeing people's pets emote and thinking everyone just had a billion macros for their companions :P
However, I seem to be having trouble using the editing program. I'm on Windows 8, and after installing the core addon on Twitch and downloading the files for the editor, it gives me an error that says PetEmote needs to be installed before I can continue, despite it being in the addon folder.

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but with the same results. Really looking forward to getting this figured out so I can have my water elemental spritz nearby plants and flowers!!
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Re: The New PetEmote Thread - Shadowlands Prep!

*Blows dust off this thread.*

So uhh. Hi. It's been a while since I checked the WoW side of these forums since I quit WoW shortly before the end of Legion (right before Tomb of Sargeras opened, let alone the Argus stuff). Also I apparently never subbed to this thread and missed a couple messages. I am so sorry for that!

First of all, it's great to see that some of you are still interested in using this addon! I burned myself out taking on too many projects at once, particularly in looking into separate files for gender-neutral pets and owners, which is why I never did much else with this. However, after stumbling into the Beta Beasts thread and seeing all the new goodies on offer (along with being poked by an old guildie looking to get me back for Shadowlands) inspired me to boot this back up. Blood beasts finally have a few emotes to use, new emotes have already been prepared for the upcoming families and existing families have been renamed.

This is for Shadowlands prep so the files haven't been uploaded yet, though the new family names can easily be swapped back for anyone wanting to use the updated files now.

Because of this! If any of you have personal custom emotes, you'll want to save a backup of the three custom emotes files in the PetEmote addon folder. Adding in any new custom emotes or updating the addon will reset them to what I have as default. As always, if there are any you'd like to see in the addon proper feel free to plonk them here - I'll happily add them if I feel they make sense!

These files will however still be the "classic" version with gendered pets and owners, and the owners referred to as master or mistress. If you feel strongly about gender-neutral emotes then I shall do my best to add alternate file options later on. These would require rewriting almost every emote in the system - and there is a LOT! Patience is much appreciated <3

@thousandmouthed and anyone else looking to try using the Editor for themselves - If you have it currently and it's claiming the addon isn't installed you need to move the editor somewhere else (it can be anywhere on the computer, not necessarily in the WoW folder itself) until it asks to locate the WoW folder. Then you want to select the Retail folder within the WoW folder for the Editor to detect it properly.

@Jorna - It's great to see you guys are still around! I've been chatting with EthanCentaurai about updating and possibly reworking the Editor, so you can expect a PM soon :)

Rest in peace mum. I really did love and miss you, even if I never got to see you.

Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Okay guys. I woke up this morning with only one thing on my mind - make a set of custom emotes that get rid of the 'mistress' references. With this set of emotes all hunters, warlocks, mages and death knights will be 'master' regardless of gender! They've been set to use the current pet family names so they're good to test right now if anyone would like to use them. It took me all day to get it finished so it wouldn't surprise me if I missed something along the way :lol:

I must stress that this only removes reference to 'mistresses', not makes the character gender-neutral. If you really want a set like that I'm afraid it'll need to wait. It's harder to rewrite emotes for all the families than it might seem - I mean it when I said this took all day!
Attachments
CustomEmotesGenderNeutral.zip
(450.58 KiB) Downloaded 238 times

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource

Unread post by Ana »

Replace Master with Friend? I dont play wow anymore but to me it sounds better than Master :D

Valnaaros
Pet Finder
Realm: Shadow Council

Unread post by Valnaaros »

Do not follow the above link.
Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Tårnfalk wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:23 pm Replace Master with Friend? I dont play wow anymore but to me it sounds better than Master :D
For Hunters it could work, but any other spec that uses pets is either enslaving them or creating them. They aren't really friends.
Xota
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Ner'zhul (US)

Unread post by Xota »

For hunters, it could be trainer or handler. For mages and warlocks, summoner.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Valnaaros wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 pm Do not follow the above link.
Judging by my notifications I'm guessing there was a spammer with malicious links? I hope there's nothing wrong with my attachments.

Um, there wasn't a huge intention to relabel 'master'. At least not yet. I'm not quite sure where that was pulled from. Right now I'm more concerned about the emotes/addon itself working properly and if there's any mistakes that need fixing. That said, if there's big enough demand to relabel 'master' then I'll set up a poll for the most desired replacements.

Valnaaros
Pet Finder

Varethyn wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 pm
Valnaaros wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:07 pm Do not follow the above link.
Judging by my notifications I'm guessing there was a spammer with malicious links? I hope there's nothing wrong with my attachments.

Um, there wasn't a huge intention to relabel 'master'. At least not yet. I'm not quite sure where that was pulled from. Right now I'm more concerned about the emotes/addon itself working properly and if there's any mistakes that need fixing. That said, if there's big enough demand to relabel 'master' then I'll set up a poll for the most desired replacements.
Correct. Someone made a new account yesterday and started posting links to a website that they claimed you could buy Warcraft movie props from.
Varethyn
Petopia Artist

Happy pre-patch everyone! I hope you've all had time to actually get the game working befriend some weird and wonderful new pets. I've worked a little more on fixing errors and adding a few more new emotes to some families that were lacking, as well as update family names and add the new ones in, and Ethan's been prodding around with the coding side of things. PetEmote should be available in the alpha channels of your preferred addon manager, however it should work even while out of date and the newest set of custom emotes are available to download if needed.

Please as always make sure to back up any personal custom emotes you may have and alert me to any mistakes I missed or ideas for the new families. Otherwise, enjoy and have fun!