Direhorns- What are they good for?

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Castile
Petopia Artist
Realm: Nagrand

Re: Direhorns- What are they good for?

Unread post by Castile »

Well from killing the first boss of Throne of Thunder last night and attempts at the second so far the new raid seems good for surv dps so i think my new groovy dino is going to have fun raiding with me this week :)

We have another hunter who doesnt care about pets to bring the boring buffs so I'm gonna have fun with my new pet! Specced ferocity it will do the same damage as another so why not! yeah its special isn't cool or beneficial but as we have everything else covered what better then some dino v dino action on Horridon RAWR!

Shadowlands
Restoration Shaman ~Vaporéon~, Balance Druid ~Sakurie~ , BM Hunter ~Castile~

magepower13
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Azjol-Nerub

Unread post by magepower13 »

I do like the ability, but it is kind of annoying that it's channeled. I see why it is, of course, but most of the time I click it and then click kill command or blink strike out of reflex.
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Vephriel wrote:Whenever I see the title of this thread all I can hear is War (what are they good for? Absolutely nothing).
This dates me, but I first heard that song performed by Frankie goes to Hollywood. It wasn't until later that I found out it was written back in 1969.
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

ahaha. Well, at least someone got the reference. It was actually intentional.

(Yes. I'm kinda old. XD )

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Angerfang
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore,Stormrage,

Unread post by Angerfang »

i tried one of the three direhorns i tamed (red blue green) vs my turtle for tanking and found them lagging behind quite a bit.. my wolf (in dps spec) was closer to the direhorn than my turtle.. my turtle can tank 3 elite dinomancers and my wolf can handle 2 my direhorns can barely handle one with out spamming mend pet..
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

GormanGhaste wrote:
Vephriel wrote:Whenever I see the title of this thread all I can hear is War (what are they good for? Absolutely nothing).
This dates me, but I first heard that song performed by Frankie goes to Hollywood. It wasn't until later that I found out it was written back in 1969.
I first heard the song while watching Cody Banks 2... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Murderface wrote:i tried one of the three direhorns i tamed (red blue green) vs my turtle for tanking and found them lagging behind quite a bit.. my wolf (in dps spec) was closer to the direhorn than my turtle.. my turtle can tank 3 elite dinomancers and my wolf can handle 2 my direhorns can barely handle one with out spamming mend pet..

Ouch. :( Well that answers my next question: how are they doing against the mobs on dino island. I thought that perhaps they were there to help with the dino farm since the mobs have lots of annoying spells. Guess I will just stick to my red turtle Sarge and my color changing beetle Apophis.

Kalliope
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Dethecus

Unread post by Kalliope »

One does not simply faceroll with a dire horn.... :D

I've timed RAP so that Ti takes *zero* damage from some hits - and he's avoided key things like stuns as well.

Think of dire horns as driving a car with manual control and turtles with automatic. :D

Kalliope's Pantheon of Pets
YouTube Edition
Thanks to Serenith for the avatar and signature!

Holgarr
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US - Alliance

Unread post by Holgarr »

Kalliope wrote:One does not simply faceroll with a dire horn.... :D

I've timed RAP so that Ti takes *zero* damage from some hits - and he's avoided key things like stuns as well.

Think of dire horns as driving a car with manual control and turtles with automatic. :D
Well, then I'm screwed either way, since I can't drive at all. :P
Image Image
Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Kalliope wrote:One does not simply faceroll with a dire horn.... :D

*tries to shift manually* *careens into a tree*

And there you have it. I think I'll stick with automatic. :P

Seriously though, I'm currently a non-player, so I can't really say much beyond that if they're similar to a turtle and good for solo-tanking tougher enemies, they might be useful. I always use Sheldon's shield manually to halve the hard-hitting things.

Do the direhorns only reflect actual "spells" like fireball or frostbolt, or is it more like "abilities" - things that perhaps melee can use?

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
Kalliope

Rhyela wrote:Do the direhorns only reflect actual "spells" like fireball or frostbolt, or is it more like "abilities" - things that perhaps melee can use?
Ti deflected a melee ability earlier, the "shank" stun on the Operation Shieldwall rare troll rogue. :D

YouTube Edition

Rhyela
Realm: US - Ysera

Unread post by Rhyela »

Hmm, well that makes it quite a bit more useful! :)

Signature and avatar created by Serenith!

Slickrock wrote:Given their current trend, we'll probably get a spirit toucan that farts loops.
AdamSavage

Unread post by AdamSavage »

I find they are a better tanking pet, then my turtle. I need to try it out again to be sure, but I tired to solo on of the large Direhorns and my turtle died very quickly despite me keeping heals on him. I got the Large Direhorn to 63% ish before my Direhorn pet died.
I believe if you can believe out of nothing an explosion (big bang) happened then how far fetched can god be?

Dr. Who Video!

lilaughingwolf
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Zul'gin

Unread post by lilaughingwolf »

Mine has replaced two of my tank pets. And as a Scenario tank pet it rocks (the last few days I have been getting all hunter groups which is fun but funny at the same time)
Angerfang
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Proudmoore,Stormrage,

Unread post by Angerfang »

I dont know if they were hotfixed or something but now my direhorn can tank 2-3 dinomancers at a time no probs... good lil dino (pats head)
Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Tsuki »

G'nathus. Hates. Direhorns.

Just sayin' ;D

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

Kalliope

G'nathus hates lots of things. Not surprised dire horns are on that list. ;)

YouTube Edition

Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Tsuki »

Yeah. During my killing fest of him with some random people, I noticed stuns work on him, as well as some other stuff. (Polymorph!)
So then I tried to solo him, and I got a LOT farther down his health bar using direhorn's ability. Still got destroyed, but still it was awesome. <___>

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

Kalliope

Good to know that that spell is one of the things dire horns block. :)

YouTube Edition

deadman

Unread post by deadman »

Since no one else has explicitly stated it, the range is 180 degrees facing front, and from what I could tell when testing on PTR, it seems to start around it's neck..

I was trying to convince Blizz to change this during the PTR to a full damage immunity given it's many limitations, but sadly I didn't have enough support from fellow hunters to catch their attention. (Hunter PTR community seemed a bit too quiet for anything to catch their attention to be honest.) I mean, c'mon, it is: Channeled cast (no dps/abilities/threat-gen during the channel) + short duration + facing requirement + limited range of effect (less than half of the model). It uses the same spell/graphical effect as mobs who get full directional immunity.. If they did change it, I believe that it would have little negative effect on PVP due to the above + a player can easily tell when they should move to the pet's side or shift targets, so if anything it would add depth to PVP play for both hunters and their opponents. Sounds like fun to me XD

At the very least, they should have included a secondary ability that actually did SOMEthing in combat