Pterrorwings: A Discussion (New Poll!)

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Pterrorwings: A Discussion (New Poll!)

Unread post by Equeon »

Pterrorwings, skyscreamers, pterodactyls. Whatever you want to call them, but my question here is: why aren't they tamable?
My reasons for why they SHOULD be tamable...

1. They're newly introduced.
2. They have a fancy and high-quality model.
3. They have a wide range of animations.
4. Hunter NPCs can tame them.

Now, before we get started, I'd like to make it clear that this thread is not a "fight over what should be tamable" thread. There shouldn't be any comments like "Well, <X> is cool, but I want HYDRAS first!" If there was a new model of hydra introduced, just about every other new daily involved a hydra, and the raid meta reward was a hydra mount, I'd be making a thread to beg Blizzard for tamable hydras just the same.

So, to elaborate on my reasons...
1. They're newly introduced.
They were just added. It's easier to dismiss an older pet, such as Sandreavers or Clefthooves, as "well those have been around for ages and still aren't tameable!" The hunter community was not quite as widespread (or demanding of new pets) back then, and most of the time new species/models weren't designed with hunters in mind. However, that's changed a lot in the recent expansions, with hunters getting spoiled with lots of unique rares and challenge tames.

2. They have a fancy and high-quality model.
They look way better than old-world wolves and cats, if you ask me. If Blizzard doesn't want hydras to become tamable because their model is old or something, what's their excuse here?

3. They have a wide range of animations.
Pterrorwings could be one of the first pets that switch between grounded and flying. Plus, they have all the necessary animations. My previous favorite untameable family, Sandreavers, are missing several animations and since they were slapped onto the crocolisk skeleton, their idle pose is strange. Sometimes most of their legs are not even touching the ground. This isn't an issue with the pterrorwings, they're animating as intended.

4. Hunter NPCs can tame them.
Spending any amount of time on the Isle of Thunder will let you know that these pterodactyls have been tamed.
Ah, the Zandalari Trolls.
They've tamed basilisks, hydras, and now skyscreamers and compies.
We got basilisks this expansion, but the others, no. Why do these trolls get so many unique pets?! How do they tame these creatures?
I've a right mind to beat this information out of the next Zandalari I'm supposed to kill.

Still, Thunderwing, the pterodactyl used to launch the assault on Stage 3/4 in the new scenarios, was domesticated by blood/high elves, neither of which are known by lore to have any particular bond with dinosaurs, as the Zandalari do. If they can do it, why can't we?

So, why wouldn't anyone want to tame this prehistoric winged beasts?
Well, here's what I've gathered from a couple threads where this topic was brought up.

1. They're too big!
This is easily fixed. For one thing, the pterrorwings summoned by Dire Beast are perfectly scaled. They're about the size of rhinos.
Still, you might ask "what about their big ol' wings?!"

This is also easily fixed. Scale the pet down to a proper size, where the wings don't get in the way.
Here's a picture of my hunter with Thunderwing, the domesticated pterrorwing hatchling. He's a bit bigger than companion-size, but imagine if he was maybe 2x or 1.5x bigger. That wouldn't be a huge change, and yet it would be an ideal pet size.
Finally, a method to switch between the two sets of animations- "grounded" and "flying" would be implemented. See the Mechanics section farther down this page.

2. They use the proto-drake skeleton!
They actually use a modified skeleton, which means that most of the animations are different. The only time you can tell they use the same "base" is the roosting animation, where they touch their wings on the ground for a second (like the proto-drakes) before folding them back up. Still, these creatures are obviously identified as beasts in-game. Nobody's gonna mistake them for a dragon.

3. We have enough tamable creatures already.
I mean no disrespect, but I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Variety is the spice of life, and taming a variety of interesting creatures to destroy your enemies is the spice of being a hunter. I'm one of those hunters who wishes all NPCs labeled as "beast" were tamable. I don't see how having more options is ever a bad thing.

I'll add to this section by your comments! Give me more things to argue against.
And now, some of my own ideas...

Mechanics
Since the pterrorwings have nice animations for attacking both on the ground and in the air, I would think that some sort of switch would be necessary. It would be like the bird-of-prey "Trick" ability, except it changes the position of your pet.

Fly / Roost

The name of the ability would change depending on what position your pet is currently in.

Now, people might still be complaining about wing size when the pet is in "Fly" mode. However, with my proposed size, the wingspan wouldn't be any worse than a Chimaera. Even if it's still a problem in random dungeons/raids, the other group members could ask the hunter to ground his pet. If it's a problem in organized raiding/dungeon groups, the party leader can take care of things. And finally, if it's a problem whilst lounging around in cities, I don't see how a big wingspan would be any worse than a tauren with a size buff, on a Grand Expedition Yak.

Obtaining a Pterrorwing
I'd think that a book would drop from trolls on the Isle of Thunder, perhaps called "Ancient Ptome of Pterror".

Ancient Ptome of Pterror
Use: Learn the ancient Zandalari secrets of taming pterrorwings.

It would have the same droprate as the book for Direhorns.

Family Abilities
A good family ability for the pterrorwings would be an AoE disorient, something that hasn't been used yet.

Sonic Screech

If that turns out to be OP, or underpowered even, it could be an AoE fear, silence, stun, etc. A number of things.

Alternative Ideas
They could be exotic pets, too, and grant a haste buff in addition to their screech ability.
The tome would be edited to make sure it's clear that they can only be tamed by Beastmaster hunters:
Use: Learn the exotic Zandalari secrets of taming pterrorwings.

So, what do you guys think? Like I said before, post potential ideas for why they should/shouldn't be tameable! Give me ability suggestions, rare suggestions, and more.
Now, two brief pleas from me:

@Wain- I've seen in the past, you've said "so-and-so is/has been considered for a future pet family." Some of these came true, and others haven't yet - is there any chance you could ask our dev/lurker about the status of these pterosaurs?

@Blizzard- Seriously, please make these tameable. Or let me race chance to a Zandalari Troll. :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poll Information

Poll 1 Results:

Size comparisons of existing pterrorwings... (If you ask me, these are a little too big.) Use these pictures for reference before casting your choice in the new poll!

Juvenile Skyscreamer

Thunderwing (Adult)

Dire Beast

Dire Beast (Aerial Shot)
Last edited by Equeon on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Bowno
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Moon Guard

Re: Pterrorwings: A Discussion

Unread post by Bowno »

I agree they should be tameable. I'd honestly enjoy it if they were harder to obtain than the Direhorns are. Perhaps a rare drop PLUS a show of skill for the hunter.. Something they can not get help on, so maybe in a solo instance? I'm sure they could add stuff for other classes in the solo instance as well to be fair.

I'd like it of they were to keep the dire beast size. They're not super huge there, but they are wimpy little turds either. It's the perfect size IMO.

Blizzard did a great job on them despite perhaps reusing some things (Which normally reaaallly gets on my nerves) and making some actually pretty cool sounds for them.

Another idea that might not be so bad, is once when have unlocked the ability to tame one of these lovely beasts... You would be able to tame the older versions that flap about Un'Goro and such. I've always felt that they, while not the prettiest of beasts, do deserve some attention. They look close enough to share a family I think.

Siggy under construction!

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist
Realm: dath remar

Unread post by cowmuflage »

I don't agree that they should be tameable. I think we have enough tameable pets already.
TygerDarkstorm
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Staghelm (Alliance), Wyrmrest Accord (Horde)

Unread post by TygerDarkstorm »

I would love to see these guys become tamable. Your ideas seem a little more grounded than a lot of the ideas that get proposed on here, which I appreciate. :) I know I personally whine a little on the inside every time I pass one of these beauties wishing my hunter could have it. xD

Along with your screech special ability, they could also potentially make use out of a wing buffet like ability that stunned or disoriented a target.

Follow me on Tumblr! @projectashley
Like Crochet? You can see what I make @ facebook.com/AshedCreations

Lord Godfrey wrote:Some people only want to watch the world burn. Others want to be the ones responsible for burning it...
[/center]
Makoes
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

I would love for these to be tamable, I've been using Eagle eye to sit next to the ones on the isle of giants just to admire them. All your suggestions seem very viable, and sizing really doesn't seem to be an issue for these.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Torachi
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: Kilrogg, Ysera, Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Torachi »

Would love to see them become tameable, and I love your idea for how it would work... You can be sure my hunter would be out on that isle again, busting her butt to get a "Ptome of Pterror", in a heartbeat.

GM of <Darkness Dawning>
Casual Gaming - LGBT Friendly - Furry Friendly
VICTORY!
(Signature made by me)

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

I am honestly foaming at the mouth for these guys. Their models are gorgeous, and after running alongside them with Dire Beast I'm only more convinced they would make excellent pets. :)
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

I love the name "Ptome of Pterror", and I love the way Pterrorwings look and sound. But I'm afraid I still have the size objection. I've been doing Isle of Thunder dailies with Dire Beast, and they just get in the way. It's true I prefer smaller pets, but I don't think it's just me. You say Rhinos and Chimaeras are a good size, but if that's so then why do I never see hunters other than myself using them?
Gimlion
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Nordrassil

Unread post by Gimlion »

GormanGhaste wrote:I love the name "Ptome of Pterror", and I love the way Pterrorwings look and sound. But I'm afraid I still have the size objection. I've been doing Isle of Thunder dailies with Dire Beast, and they just get in the way. It's true I prefer smaller pets, but I don't think it's just me. You say Rhinos and Chimaeras are a good size, but if that's so then why do I never see hunters other than myself using them?
I see Chimaeras all the time in BGs. And a lot of people just don't like the look or abilities of Rhinos.

Sig made by the Wonderful Serenith!

"You cannot judge me, I am Justice itself! We were meant for more than this, to protect the innocent. But, if our precious laws bind you all to inaction, then I will no longer stand as your brother." - Tyrael
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Gimlion wrote:I see Chimaeras all the time in BGs.
That's good then. As I don't pvp, that must be why I don't see them :)
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Vephriel wrote:I am honestly foaming at the mouth for these guys. Their models are gorgeous, and after running alongside them with Dire Beast I'm only more convinced they would make excellent pets. :)
Foaming at the mouth is the perfect description. Every time I see mine called with Dire Beast I just... quietly weep a little bit. I need one so bad it hurts.
This is definitely a very nice proposition. And come on, if the Zandalari trolls can tame them then us champions, heroes, the best hunters out there, should be able to as well. And on the matter of size I think the Dire Beast size is perfect. Actually nevermind it could be scaled down a teeny bit just so the wings don't get in the way when in an aggressive stance.
And ugh they're just so perfect all around brb gonna weep some more.
Last edited by Miacoda on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Tsuki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Tsuki »

I feel that they should be tameable, yes.
As for any requirements, the Tome of Dinomancy, so it's not just for direhorns, but for pterrorwings too.
Makes... sense, right?

~Signature made by Serenith~Image~Signature made by Serenith~

HunterFTW
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: muridain

Unread post by HunterFTW »

i totally agree with this.as for aptaining the item i would be worryed that i would get the direhorn one to drop and i can't give it to one of my hunter friends that need it.so there can be a specific troll the drops it.like the ones that have a pet or the ones that are strangely standing be hind one like it theres and they are keeping an eye on it.cause if its gona be exotic then it should be droped by a BM troll not ALL of them.but thats my voice on it anyway but love your idea non the less.
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Unread post by Tahlian »

I would respectfully point out that "but the Zandalari can doo itt!" isn't really a valid argument on this point. The Zandalari also murder their animal gods and suck the power out of them, and I don't think we should be allowed to do that, either.

If you shrink the pterrorwings down too much more, they just look silly...and the Dire Beast ones take up a bit more space than I think a hunter pet should, given that the devilsaurs are already grumbled about in certain areas.

And I have to say...just because we're hunters doesn't mean we're going to be allowed to tame every dang thing out there, so long as it's a beast. We have to have limitations, just like everybody else, and if I have to see a monk run by with a Xuen tiger and be told I'll never be able to have that model as a hunter pet, then the same is fine for pterrorwings.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Crotalus Horridus
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: N/A

Unread post by Crotalus Horridus »

Tahlian wrote:I would respectfully point out that "but the Zandalari can doo itt!" isn't really a valid argument on this point. The Zandalari also murder their animal gods and suck the power out of them, and I don't think we should be allowed to do that, either.

If you shrink the pterrorwings down too much more, they just look silly...and the Dire Beast ones take up a bit more space than I think a hunter pet should, given that the devilsaurs are already grumbled about in certain areas.

And I have to say...just because we're hunters doesn't mean we're going to be allowed to tame every dang thing out there, so long as it's a beast. We have to have limitations, just like everybody else, and if I have to see a monk run by with a Xuen tiger and be told I'll never be able to have that model as a hunter pet, then the same is fine for pterrorwings.
No class practices any certain religion in which animal gods are worshiped and then sacrificed by sucking the life out of them, so people probably wouldn't want it in the first place.

I have never had a problem with the size of a pet, and nobody before in any dungeon group except ONCE has had a problem with the size of my pet. If anything, people like bigger pets because they honestly can look cooler than smaller ones. Oh yeah, and you can always use the Glyph of Lesser Proportions if you simply want your pet to be slightly smaller than it already is.

Limitations are great, however some limitations are simply unnecessary. If a beast in lore is commonly a pet and is even seen in-game a lot as a pet, then logically it should be tamable by hunters. This goes for Pterrorwings. They are seen throughout the whole of the Isle of Thunder (And will probably be seen later on in World of Warcraft) as being in many cases domesticated and kept as pets and even mounts. A mob that you could attack with the Xuen model would probably be not only one of Xuens children, but also a sapient being as smart as any intelligent race on Azeroth.
Miacoda
Realm: Argent Dawn(US) - Alliance, Nesingwary(US) - Horde

Unread post by Miacoda »

Look I think we all know the main reason why these need to be tameable...

More dinosaurs (or in this case a pterosaur but whatever)! :P

Thank you to everyone who has made me a signature!
AKA TheDoomcookie
Mia's Stable|DeviantArt|Tumblr

Silivren
Realm: Sunbeam Ruins, Tamriel, Westeros, Thedas, etc.

Unread post by Silivren »

Crotalus Horridus wrote:
Tahlian wrote:I would respectfully point out that "but the Zandalari can doo itt!" isn't really a valid argument on this point. The Zandalari also murder their animal gods and suck the power out of them, and I don't think we should be allowed to do that, either.

No class practices any certain religion in which animal gods are worshiped and then sacrificed by sucking the life out of them, so people probably wouldn't want it in the first place.

I have never had a problem with the size of a pet, and nobody before in any dungeon group except ONCE has had a problem with the size of my pet. If anything, people like bigger pets because they honestly can look cooler than smaller ones. Oh yeah, and you can always use the Glyph of Lesser Proportions if you simply want your pet to be slightly smaller than it already is.

Limitations are great, however some limitations are simply unnecessary. If a beast in lore is commonly a pet and is even seen in-game a lot as a pet, then logically it should be tamable by hunters. This goes for Pterrorwings. They are seen throughout the whole of the Isle of Thunder (And will probably be seen later on in World of Warcraft) as being in many cases domesticated and kept as pets and even mounts. A mob that you could attack with the Xuen model would probably be not only one of Xuens children, but also a sapient being as smart as any intelligent race on Azeroth.
I would have to agree with Tahlian at least somewhat, his argument about the Zandalari is a good one given the "Just because someone else can doesnt mean we should be able to." I think of the flaming/skeletal dogs back on the Molten Front. They were kept as pets by certain mobs if I remember correctly and we didnt get those. While it'd be nice to have these mobs he is right in the fact that we shouldnt get EVERYTHING. I do believe thats some of the problem and some of the reluctancy to give us certain models is that some hunters clamor for everything that looks even remotely beast-like to be made tameable. Would it be nice? Sure. But I will say that just because a "hunter" type mob has a certain pet that it doesnt mean we should be able to get it too, not always. That being said I dont feel that they SHOULD'NT be tameable but ultimately its Blizzard's decision and if they didnt made them tameable theres a reason why.

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Those firewalker dudes had those does I think. That raid boss guy with the eye patch I think. I like to think that only certain races have learned how to tame certain creatures and like to keep it "race only" or something.
Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

Quote from first post:
Now, before we get started, I'd like to make it clear that this thread is not a "fight over what should be tamable" thread.

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

cowmuflage
Petopia Artist

Makoes wrote:Quote from first post:

Now, before we get started, I'd like to make it clear that this thread is not a "fight over what should be tamable" thread.

:lol: I'm sorry but making such a thread on this site it will always turn into one of those threads no matter what you say on the first post XD