Legendary taming skill

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Tahlian
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Feathermoon

Re: Legendary taming skill

Unread post by Tahlian »

Sabrewolf wrote:
Junrei wrote:Considering dragons are sentient creatures, that's likely never going to happen, nor would I want it to happen. I like my dragons untamed by bad hunters.
As far as that goes blizzard has for the most part ignored this concept when it has come to taming/catching dragons in the game. Hell we can even train them to be our mounts. Blizzard has given up on most of the RPG aspects like this and focused more on what people want in the game. So i don't see this taming dragon concept to farfetched at all.
We don't "train them to be our mounts." If anything, it's rather a mutual agreement that they carry us. The only possible exception to this might be the drakes that come from the two Sartharion fights - and they might either be seen as being trounced into submission, or thinking that siding with us was better than being slaughtered.

The gold we pay for these mounts is purely a game mechanic. I agree with Junrei on this point - dragons should not be tamable.

Here there be dragons... http://dragcave.net/user/Tahlian

And here there be more dragons, too...http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=lair&id=22415

Sabrewolf

Unread post by Sabrewolf »

Tahlian wrote:
Sabrewolf wrote:
Junrei wrote:Considering dragons are sentient creatures, that's likely never going to happen, nor would I want it to happen. I like my dragons untamed by bad hunters.
As far as that goes blizzard has for the most part ignored this concept when it has come to taming/catching dragons in the game. Hell we can even train them to be our mounts. Blizzard has given up on most of the RPG aspects like this and focused more on what people want in the game. So i don't see this taming dragon concept to farfetched at all.
We don't "train them to be our mounts." If anything, it's rather a mutual agreement that they carry us. The only possible exception to this might be the drakes that come from the two Sartharion fights - and they might either be seen as being trounced into submission, or thinking that siding with us was better than being slaughtered.

The gold we pay for these mounts is purely a game mechanic. I agree with Junrei on this point - dragons should not be tamable.
Its not just the mounts its the companion pets we catch and battle with and there are plenty of Dragonkin battle pets. Also blizzard has already allowed us to tame dragonkin, Chromaggus was originally a dragonkin. and as far as mutual agreements go that's the same concept as a hunter and there pet we mutually agree to battle along side each other
GormanGhaste
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Uldaman (and Ravencrest)

Unread post by GormanGhaste »

Sabrewolf wrote:As far as mutual agreements go, that's the same concept as hunters and their pets; we mutually agree to battle along side each other.
This is how I see my relationships with my pets--a partnership. I'm indifferent to whether or not we have dragon hunter pets. They do make more sense than elemental pets like shale spiders and most of the core hounds, which should be a shaman thing, not hunter.
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

I think the "training dragons to be our mounts" was probably mostly referring to the cloud serpents you hatch and train with, in jade forest.

and I'm with Gorman. I tend to visualize my hunter befriending her pets and there being a mutual agreement to work together. (I get rather attached to my pets and they tend to develop their own personalities. I often solo rollplay with them as I level.)
and dragon kin have on occasion become hunter pets. aside from chromaggus, I recall the arcane serpents being flagged as dragonkin until the recent patch so things are viable to change.
...we seem to be derailing the thread though.
(getting back to more probable tames.)
this may seem too elaborate but I would have fun doing a hunter quest line (perhaps like the warlock quest line for the green fire?) where you find an item that leads you to a hunter who is willing to teach you how to tame <insert beast here> but first you have to track down (using actual animal tracks) and tame a challenge tame beast (probably something with mechanics like deth'tilac, making the tame your own personal boss fight as well) in order to prove your skill to the hunter sage. Maybe there is more than one tier of tames you have to accomplish too. Who knows.
Last edited by SylviaDragon on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrewolf

SylviaDragon wrote:I think the "training dragons to be our mounts" was probably mostly referring to the cloud serpents you hatch and train with, in jade forest.

and I'm with Gorman. I tend to visualize my hunter befriending her pets and there being a mutual agreement to work together. (I get rather attached to my pets and they tend to develop their own personalities. I often solo rollplay with them as I level.)
and dragon kin have on occasion become hunter pets. aside from chromaggus, I recall the arcane serpents being flagged as dragonkin until the recent patch so things are viable to change.
...we seem to be derailing the thread though.

this may seem too elaborate but I would have fun doing a hunter quest line (perhaps like the warlock quest line for the green fire?) where you find an item that leads you to a hunter who is willing to teach you how to tame <insert beast here> but first you have to track down (using actual animal tracks) and tame a challenge tame beast (probably something with mechanics like deth'tilac, making the tame your own personal boss fight as well) in order to prove your skill to the hunter sage. Maybe there is more than one tier of tames you have to accomplish too. Who knows.
Oh yea if they are going let us tame Dragons make us work for it lol
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

Tahlian wrote:
Sabrewolf wrote:

Correct, we dont train them to be anything. The Pandaren helping you actually tell you flat out it's an agreement, a matter of trust. Think of it like Pokemon. Yeah, you can catch them, but they still don't have to listen to you if you're not someone worthy of their trust and friendship.

So yeah, no taming dragons, kthx. I like em just the way they are.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Sabrewolf

Correct, we dont train them to be anything. The Pandaren helping you actually tell you flat out it's an agreement, a matter of trust. Think of it like Pokemon. Yeah, you can catch them, but they still don't have to listen to you if you're not someone worthy of their trust and friendship.

So yeah, no taming dragons, kthx. I like em just the way they are.
Yea an agreement just like when you TAME a pet.. The pet is agreeing to fight along side you as a your companion/pet/partner this bond actually goes deeper then it would with a mount so taming dragons actually makes sense. What we are saying is that to be able to obtain this pet you would go through a quest line( ie going on a quest to prove yourself you are worthy to take them on your journey with you). Its not like we haven't been able to tame pets that share the same skin as sentient beings.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Sharing an appearance doesn't mean it's the exact same thing so I'm sorry but that's a terrible comparison.

LisaaraPokefarm

Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

Cloud serpents are a bit different. They made it very clear during beta that cloud serpents are NOT dragons. All that were flagged as dragonkin were changed to be beasts. I could see hunters taming them, at least smaller ones. You see pretty much this up on Shan'ze Dao (I think it is), where Mogu are patrolling with a cloud serpent by their side. The introduction of tameable arcane serpents has shown that creatures of these dimensions look pretty cool as pets and they've been very popular.

A few very special animals and cloud serpents also seem to share the trait of being sapient beings, or even demi-gods. This doesn't mean the majority of similar creatures possess more than animal intelligence, though. It's just that some powerful beings on Azeroth take the form of beasts. So I don't believe the existence of these powers in any way means that sapient creatures should be tameable by hunters.

One other thing I've noticed is that "dragonkin" seem to span a huge range of intellects. Dragons, created by the Titans, are obviously super-intelligent. Faerie dragons, which you talk to in Hyjal, seem to have much simpler minds, but still sapient. Proto-drakes don't seem to demonstrate much above beast level, at least as far as the game has shown. If that is true, I could imagine them as tameable creatures, except they're a bit big and flappy and probably would look silly shrunk to a usable size :)
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Banard

Unread post by Banard »

SpiritBinder wrote:
Wain wrote:Sadly the best time for quests linked to elemental beasts would have been Cataclysm, since it was all about that. :( But I imagine therell be other opportunities.

The other one that occurs to me is if we'd had kunchong taming linked to Klaxxi rep, or even after the chain where you help raise Kovok. Ah well :/
Or even a recovered tome that you could dig up via archaeology? There are so many ways to possibly integrate these "Tomes of Taming" in clever ways, but again I guess they all take development time, even if some of it might seem quite minor. :|

...this whole thread was awesome until this post.

If i got to get that shovel going again....

Nothing about the best class in the game should be linked to the worst progression in the game.

and wain taming elemental? Best time cataclysm? Where are we going in xpac? What class origin basically originated there? Where did thrall go in cata to become green jesus? Where is the The Elemental Plateau located?

And at this point, there should be some huge epic chain to tame hydras with some part of the quest going to darkmoon fair and doing something with "the untamable" . bah! I hate that hydro.

Meanwhile, i'll keep wishing for a moose b/c what dwarf hunter wouldn't want a pet moose? IT BE EPIC!
Sabrewolf

Junrei wrote:Sharing an appearance doesn't mean it's the exact same thing so I'm sorry but that's a terrible comparison.
actually its a good comparison since this is what that is thread is about simply changing some dragonkin to beats ( like they did with chromaggus ) would be a reasonless compromise for the hunters ( Myself included ) that want to tame a dragonkin skinned beast. Or keeping them Dragonkin and making a epic questline to where you have to earn the right to tame them or befriend them. Oh and make it like some professions like where you have to chose witch path you take and chose a color/race of dragons. ( black dragonflight, red dragonflight, green dragonflight ext. )
and i never said it was the same exact thing, that's what makes it a comparison lol
SylviaDragon
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Drenden/illidan

Unread post by SylviaDragon »

Wain wrote:Cloud serpents are a bit different. They made it very clear during beta that cloud serpents are NOT dragons. All that were flagged as dragonkin were changed to be beasts. I could see hunters taming them, at least smaller ones. You see pretty much this up on Shan'ze Dao (I think it is), where Mogu are patrolling with a cloud serpent by their side. The introduction of tameable arcane serpents has shown that creatures of these dimensions look pretty cool as pets and they've been very popular.

A few very special animals and cloud serpents also seem to share the trait of being sapient beings, or even demi-gods. This doesn't mean the majority of similar creatures possess more than animal intelligence, though. It's just that some powerful beings on Azeroth take the form of beasts. So I don't believe the existence of these powers in any way means that sapient creatures should be tameable by hunters.

One other thing I've noticed is that "dragonkin" seem to span a huge range of intellects. Dragons, created by the Titans, are obviously super-intelligent. Faerie dragons, which you talk to in Hyjal, seem to have much simpler minds, but still sapient. Proto-drakes don't seem to demonstrate much above beast level, at least as far as the game has shown. If that is true, I could imagine them as tameable creatures, except they're a bit big and flappy and probably would look silly shrunk to a usable size :)
^ this! thank you Wain, you basically summed up everything I was trying to say. I thought cloud serpents had been reclassified to beasts but I have just been away from wow long enough that the details are starting to elude me. It kind of makes me wonder if the Arcane Serpents was Blizzard testing the water.

(also many snickers at Banard's green Jesus remark. a valid point though.)

Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

SylviaDragon wrote:
Wain wrote:Cloud serpents are a bit different. They made it very clear during beta that cloud serpents are NOT dragons. All that were flagged as dragonkin were changed to be beasts. I could see hunters taming them, at least smaller ones. You see pretty much this up on Shan'ze Dao (I think it is), where Mogu are patrolling with a cloud serpent by their side. The introduction of tameable arcane serpents has shown that creatures of these dimensions look pretty cool as pets and they've been very popular.

^ this! thank you Wain, you basically summed up everything I was trying to say. I thought cloud serpents had been reclassified to beasts but I have just been away from wow long enough that the details are starting to elude me. It kind of makes me wonder if the Arcane Serpents was Blizzard testing the water.

(also many snickers at Banard's green Jesus remark. a valid point though.)
Agreed with Wain here and I don't believe the comparison that was made was really relevant, let alone just saying "Lets slap the skin on something else" which I really don't like either. There's nothing wrong with hunters having limitations.

LisaaraPokefarm

Shinryu Masaki
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by Shinryu Masaki »

Wain wrote:Proto-drakes don't seem to demonstrate much above beast level, at least as far as the game has shown.
True, the game doesn't really show us how high their intelligence is. I haven't read the book yet, but from what I saw the dragon aspects where all proto-drakes at first before they killed Galakrond, then the Titans changed them to dragons. I don't know much aside that.

Oh and by the way, you don't tame a Core Hound. You just train it to eat someone else before it eats you.

;)
ImageImage
Malackai
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: EU- Kazak

Unread post by Malackai »

Personally I found the direhorn solution pretty underwhelming with the whole letting a book drop.
I always hoped for a tiny quest chain maybe 2-3 quests long.
start would be a drop which you can turn in at your trainer, second one could be some prep quest (aka getting bait (meat, herbs)) and the third one sends you out to a specific spot where you use the bait and it spawns a mob that you have to tame (this is basically a challenge tame so not a fire and forget tame) and after you tame it you go back to the trainer and you learn the skill to tame that family of pets.

But I guess that would cause to much uproar from other classes >_> or people that might troll during your tame I guess...

But yea I am still secretly hoping they do something special with the new hydra family but I am not counting on it XD
My flightrising: Flight Rising
My DA page: http://malackai.deviantart.com/