Newcomer with question :)

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Vorhees

Newcomer with question :)

Unread post by Vorhees »

Hello Petopia !
Can anyone tell me what is the best pet, for the DPS ?
I want to make rogues bleed from....Okay, no I'm only joking...Well sort of.

Recently I have returned to WoW from a long hiatus, to find one of my favorite classes changed quite a bit.
This along with the new:ish layout of the vanilla Azeroth I once knew, I'm feeling almost like a newb again.
Amazed, nostalgic and confused at the same time :lol:
I've rerolled a fresh (...Well sort of) hunter.
But I'd like to know what pet you think the most useful for soloing stuff, and why ?

I play mostly solo, exploring, doing quests and crafting, with some RP thrown in now and again.
Also I like to try soloing dungeons, because I feel that the hectic pace of the random runs leaves little to no time to appreciate the atmosphere and lore of the place.

The pets I have sofar, I've chosen based on apperance.
They preform allright for sure, but I havent really "connected" with any of them yet. So I want to bransh out and try something different, hence this post.
I'm currently Beastmaster spec, but only level 51, so no exotics quite yet (though feel free to suggest them anyway).
My secondary spec is Survival, though I used to be a hardcore Marksman fan back in the day, so I'm not opposed to any spec really.

My collection sofar:
Bear.
My first tamed pet was Hibernus the sleeper.
His demoralizing roar makes him a pretty good tank, and he has that zombified look aswell, wich is a big bonus in my book.
He's the most likely contender that I'll fall back on.

Bird of prey.
My second tame was Alitus.
I love the model of this bird, undead and derpy looking, just like me !
However the snatch skill seems a bit weak since I tend to avoid PvP, and he is a major screen hog with his wingspan, wich I fear will get even worse as levels go up, and I don't wish to waste a glyph spot on size reduction quite yet. (I'm not even sure how effective those are)

Boar.
Third in my stable is Varah.
While he does have that undead theme going for him, I must admit I tamed him for the novelty of rarity more than anything.
I want to like this pet so much, but I'm just not feeling it :(
Also since I'm not using Aimed Shot currently, his gore skill seems less useful.

Beetle.
Fourth is just a random beetle from some cave, I keep him in there if I need some serious tanking done.
But in all honesty I'd probably rather ask a friend for aid if that is the case.
Will probably replace with Ghamoo-ra or some other turtle when I get around to it.

Thanks for reading !

TL:DR
I'd like to know what pet you think the most useful for soloing stuff, and why ?
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Terenas, Argent Dawn

Re: Newcomer with question :)

Unread post by Krysteena »

Wolves. No one contends with the awesomeness that are wolves. 5% increased chance to crit? Yes please. Like you, I'd pick my pets on appearance. I still do, to a certain extent. I like to take my time with my pets. They've got to click. The wolf is very handy and there's a really nice diseased skin I reckon you'd like, going by the other pets you've got. Felrius, as I named him, is my first call if I want to play survival (he's the pet I completed my first raid with) and although BM gives me better pets, the wolf is always a good one to have.

Cats and spirit beasts both give the mastery buff. However, spirit beasts can give a little heal every 30 seconds, which can help in certain situations. They're rare, but I find that I generally have one with me at all times. Loque is very nice looking. Plus side, you can get bear, bird and wolf SB's (which can confuse me :lol: ) so if you'd rather not have a cat next to you, there's others to pick from.

Serpents and dragonhawks give a increased spell damage taken debuff which generally is only good when you're in a raid group and there's quite a few casters.

Corehounds give the bloodlust buff, which many people ask for, which is a haste increase I believe. Generally only useful for groups, however.

A,so, as you're BM, devilsaurs a good thing to turn to. Their debuff will reduce the healing received by 10%. If you ever PvP, having the anti healing debuff can screw with some classes. Add the widows venom, that's a 20% decrease in healing. I like the sound of that ;)

Also, as you're BM, once you get to 90 or a little lower, you get access to Quilen. Basically, they're a better wolf. Their 5% crit chance increase lasts for 2 minutes rather than 1, and if you're in a group they have the resurrection available, which is handy if things get messy. I have a couple named Drift and Mirage myself. Used to hate Quilen, but they grow on you.

Now, to answer your question. Generally, I use a Quilen, cat, spirit beast or a wolf. The increased mastery or crit chance is wonderful, and I find that most of my pets don't need to be for tanking only, as most can hold their own if I keep the heals up. However, if I need a tanking pet I'll call in a direhorn or a turtle. Either one can hold their own wonderfully, and as I've seen in a raid, can solo bosses even with the entire group dead. It made for an entertaining ICC run :D

Also, you can switch your pets spec. So I could run into a dungeon and have a thunderstomping wolf by my side. I could have a tank kitty or a DPS turtle. Of course, I generally stick with what ever spec the pet was originally, so they can be at the best of their game, but sometimes it has it's uses. Just...wolf tanks. Kinda squishy. And no, it wasn't the fact Felrius was diseased :P
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Unread post by peanutbuttercup »

Kayro pretty much covered it. I'll give you my short list:
1) Spirit Beast, assuming you're BM, mainly for the heals. I found a SB to be indispensable while doing brawler's guild especially, since hunters are kind of lacking in the heal department.
2) Wolf or Quilen. They provide the best overall buff for hunters, so if you're doing content that you're trying to simply out-DPS, that's the way to go.
3) Beetle or Turtle. In those few cases where your pet is getting physically worked by a mob (some old bosses still hit like trucks), their shield ability can help buy you a little extra time to help heal them up. When Warbringers first came out, I had to use a beetle to solo them because they were hitting pets so hard.
Lisaara
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Moon Guard

Unread post by Lisaara »

I'll just say this....all pets do the same DPS. There is no best pet. It just depends on what your group needs or whatever you want to bring to the group.

LisaaraPokefarm
Sig Credits: Lisaara, Ashaine

Makoes
Realm: Arathor-Alliance / Nesingwary-horde / WrA-Alliance

Unread post by Makoes »

For solo, or dungeons I find the turtle an/or beetle to be awesome. they can sustain a large amount of damage (in tenacity spec), and have that damage reduction ability when they drop below a certain health %, and a mend pet can get them up to full health before the shell disappears.

Spirit beasts (as BM) offer the wonderful healing ability which can be quite useful when soloing stuff.

But pets are really at the point where you can viably use which ever pet you want based upon appearance. Particularly when solo playing. Just use a pet that you feel suits you best.
My Partner is Nanaki, a red hyena. I've had a hyena since BC days, it was never the "best" didn't really have anything to offer, stats where substandard...but I "clicked" with the hyena. It was the partner for "me" regardless of how useful of powerful other pets where. Since pets were stripped down and redone to be "equal" to each other, I've still continued to fight along side Nanaki almost exclusively!

Other pets I do have in my active roster are: Turtle (tank), Loque/Karoma (heals), Quilen (b'rez) & Corehound (heroism).

Silent as night, silent as death, silent as your last breath
~~~
Interested in HARPG? Check out Marandian's
~~~
(Closed)FR gems: (Click here for details)
My DeviantART/My Petopia art thread
~~~
I cry inside every day, as common courtesy withers away. Are you part of the problem or will you help it grow?

Vorhees

Unread post by Vorhees »

Thanks very much for the feedback !
Even Junrei, even though I get the feeling my post wasn't read beyond the first sentence ;)

I have some further questions though.
Kayro wrote:Cats and spirit beasts both give the mastery buff. However, spirit beasts can give a little heal every 30 seconds, which can help in certain situations.
The spirits are elusive indeed !
On my older hunter, I took 2-3 days when I did nothing but hoover around their spawn sites, gathering ore and looking for one, ANY one of them to tame. But I never saw them.
While I do consider myself rather patient, I don't have the mental fortitude for that kind of camping.

Anyway, their heals looks rather weak on paper.
Though I don't know how the math works out in game really, it involves RAP wich with proper gear might make it a fairly good heal ?
Kayro wrote:Serpents and dragonhawks give a increased spell damage taken debuff which generally is only good when you're in a raid group and there's quite a few casters.
As I understand it, Survival uses quite a bit of magical damage ?
Whereas something like a Raptor or Tallstrider that debuffs armor might be better for a Marksman spec that deals in physical damage ?

But I don't really know how these stats and numbers correlate, so it's just my speculations.

I'll defenetly try out a wolf, and a Quilen when I can get my boney fingers on one.
The grey one looks kind of like a gravestone of sorts, so it would fit pretty nicely in with the others.
Makoes wrote:For solo, or dungeons I find the turtle an/or beetle to be awesome. they can sustain a large amount of damage (in tenacity spec), and have that damage reduction ability when they drop below a certain health %, and a mend pet can get them up to full health before the shell disappears.
If the skill is on autocast do they use it ASAP or only when they have taken a certain amount of damage ?
I didn't think that the pets had much of an AI, I notice that mine never seem to cast Cower, but I chalked that up to focus starvation ?
My Partner is Nanaki, a red hyena. I've had a hyena since BC days, it was never the "best" didn't really have anything to offer, stats where substandard...but I "clicked" with the hyena. It was the partner for "me" regardless of how useful of powerful other pets where. Since pets were stripped down and redone to be "equal" to each other, I've still continued to fight along side Nanaki almost exclusively!
Yeah I am the same, I need that "click" too.
And while my little pet sematary is nice and all, I'm just not getting there quite yet.

Back in the vanilla days, I ran my Dwarf hunter all the way to Mulgore just to tame a pet I had such a click with.
Mazzranache the pink tallstrider, I named mine Floyd.
But now I see he has become...A mother ?
And I just cannot bare to separate the family...Hey just because my heart is cold and unbeating, doesn't mean I don't have feelings right ? :lol:

Thanks again everyone :hug:
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I read it, trust me. Answer is still the same. :) I have multiple hunters and I rotate out my pets to give them all some love though I don't hesitate to ask anyone if they want something specifically.

Spirit beast heals are actually life savers from time to time. Sure, they're not huge heals but that little bit can help you survive long enough for the healer to throw the big heals on you(especially during the Garrosh fight, oi!)

Survival's attacks aren't considered magic based, just ranged. Serpents and Dragonhawks are just good for casters like mages, ele shamans, boomkins, etc. Same goes for Marksman, they aren't a physical damage class. Raptors and such help melee classes. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post? The pets benefit your party more than yourself(depending on the pet). That's what I was getting at before. Quilen's are amazing when you're lacking BRezzes!

Turtles and Beetles cast their shell thingie when they get down to a certain amount of health.

But yeah, apologies for the short reply. I was being tugged into a Garrosh 10m Norm as I was typing it so I made it quick.

LisaaraPokefarm

Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

To answer some questions (no, this isn't because I like to tell people about the hunter class. At least, I don't think it is..)

Spirit Beasts heals. I'm pretty sure the heals will scale with level and/or gear (but I may be wrong) and so at max level Azrael (Loque) is healing me for around 13/15k. Not very much, considering I've got 500k health (hurry up Draenor, these big numbers just don't flow!) then again, if you've got lower health, the heal is more noticeable. I'd use it in PvP, normally, to give myself a boost before a healer noticed I was on deaths door. So while it seems a little pants, when you're in greens and blues, it's quite handy. If you plan to use it whenever you please, and not when the pet decides to, take it off of auto. Just so they don't heal themselves when it was you who needed it.

Turtles and beetles will cast their shield when they drop to a certain percentage yes. If it's in autocast then yes, once they get low enough they'll cast it. In Pandaria, pets are geniuses. They'll more behind targets if they target is casting a frontal cone. Before, they'd just stand in the bloomin way and get fried. However, you may have to take care of some of their abilities. Then again, you'll generally be fiddling with growl (can't tell you how many times my pet became the tank because I left growl on) and watching for heart of the Phoenix to come off of cooldown, if your pet is ferocity.

It's all set to change in Draenor, and from what I can tell all pets have tanking abilities, but you can either make them a cunning tank, a ferocious tank and a...tankier tank?
Tanky tank? Tank tank? I dunno, but many pets abilities are being swapped around in Draenor, so don't get too used to some abilities. Many are set to change.
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Kayro wrote:Spirit Beasts heals. I'm pretty sure the heals will scale with level and/or gear (but I may be wrong) and so at max level Azrael (Loque) is healing me for around 13/15k.

If you plan to use it whenever you please, and not when the pet decides to, take it off of auto. Just so they don't heal themselves when it was you who needed it.
I don't let my pets auto-cast the heal and instead use a macro to target myself and heal since 9 times out of 10, I am the intended target.

The heal does scale with your gear. On my main (ilvl 582) I tick for around 35k, on an alt (ilvl 536) I tick for 28k.

As far as using a beetle I don't allow it to auto-cast shield. In sticky situations it doesn't do it at the right time (it feels like it always casts too late, so that it's too far gone to save) and I'd rather take on the responsibility of deciding when the time is right.
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

peanutbuttercup wrote:
Kayro wrote:Spirit Beasts heals. I'm pretty sure the heals will scale with level and/or gear (but I may be wrong) and so at max level Azrael (Loque) is healing me for around 13/15k.

If you plan to use it whenever you please, and not when the pet decides to, take it off of auto. Just so they don't heal themselves when it was you who needed it.
I don't let my pets auto-cast the heal and instead use a macro to target myself and heal since 9 times out of 10, I am the intended target.

The heal does scale with your gear. On my main (ilvl 582) I tick for around 35k, on an alt (ilvl 536) I tick for 28k.

As far as using a beetle I don't allow it to auto-cast shield. In sticky situations it doesn't do it at the right time (it feels like it always casts too late, so that it's too far gone to save) and I'd rather take on the responsibility of deciding when the time is right.
Do you happen to know a macro I can use for my spirit beasts, so they'll target me and cast the heal? I should probably get around to making more macros really. Still gotta figure out that misdirection one...
peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

A basic macro for that would be:
/tar _Insert_your_Character_Name_Here_
/cast Spirit Mend
/targetlasttarget

I'm sure there's niftier ways to write a macro for this but this works fine. You can leave the last line out if you don't want to automatically re-target whatever you were last targeting, but most people probably would want to.
Vorhees

Unread post by Vorhees »

Junrei wrote:But yeah, apologies for the short reply. I was being tugged into a Garrosh 10m Norm as I was typing it so I made it quick.
Thank you, and no worries.
I hope you killed that nasty orc good and dead.
Junrei wrote:Survival's attacks aren't considered magic based, just ranged. Serpents and Dragonhawks are just good for casters like mages, ele shamans, boomkins, etc. Same goes for Marksman, they aren't a physical damage class. Raptors and such help melee classes. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post? The pets benefit your party more than yourself(depending on the pet). That's what I was getting at before.
No I don't think you are misunderstanding my post.
I, on the other hand, might have really misunderstood the way the game handles damage ?

I figured there where simply different damage types, and the delivery system didn't really matter.
Nature damage is nature damage, regardless if it's from a rogue's poison or a druids wrath spell.
Fire damage from a engineering bomb or a mage spell would be handled the same aswell.

But it may very well be that I'm misinformed with outdated information...Or just plain wrong.
Kayro wrote:Then again, you'll generally be fiddling with growl (can't tell you how many times my pet became the tank because I left growl on) and watching for heart of the Phoenix to come off of cooldown, if your pet is ferocity
You know this just reminded me of something.
I remember having growl on in BG's because it would acctually counter direct orders from hunters/warlocks and peel their pets off me.
It was long ago though, so it might have been a bug that has since gotten squashed.
Kayro wrote:but many pets abilities are being swapped around in Draenor, so don't get too used to some abilities. Many are set to change.
Ah good to know, other than the grafically updated models, I havent been paying much attention.
Kayro wrote:I should probably get around to making more macros really. Still gotta figure out that misdirection one...
Maybe I can help with that, here is the one I use

Code: Select all

#showtooltip
/cast [target=focus,exists,nodead] Misdirection; [target=pet] Misdirection
This will cast misdirection on my pet.
Unless I've set a target focus, and that focus is still alive, then it will cast to the focus instead (wich would be the tank, don't go killing your healers now or something silly like that)
You can replace the word "focus" in the macro with the tanks name, if you need that for something else.

Though you might want to try it out before applying in the field.
I havent used it since mid-WoTL or somesuch, but I think it should still work.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

I didn't that night. Got the bugger to 7% before we called it. BUT a buddy of mine pulled me into a Garry kill tonight and I got mah wolf! (while having my mind blown by a hunter and a shadow priest pulling 700k dps!)

It's kinda weird how they have it set up. Like, for us in our character thingie, we look at the Ranged section. That's for hunters pretty much specifically. Every other ranged is a magic caster of some kind so they're looking at the Spellcasting section. They do still have different types of damage, but for us, it's not considered a spell I don't think. I could be wrong, of course!

I recommend checking out our pet topics. We have one in the WoD section that addresses the sweeping changes coming to many pets.

LisaaraPokefarm

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Vorhees wrote:
Junrei wrote:Survival's attacks aren't considered magic based, just ranged. Serpents and Dragonhawks are just good for casters like mages, ele shamans, boomkins, etc. Same goes for Marksman, they aren't a physical damage class. Raptors and such help melee classes. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post? The pets benefit your party more than yourself(depending on the pet). That's what I was getting at before.
No I don't think you are misunderstanding my post.
I, on the other hand, might have really misunderstood the way the game handles damage ?

I figured there where simply different damage types, and the delivery system didn't really matter.
Nature damage is nature damage, regardless if it's from a rogue's poison or a druids wrath spell.
Fire damage from a engineering bomb or a mage spell would be handled the same aswell.

But it may very well be that I'm misinformed with outdated information...Or just plain wrong.
I was under the impression that survival hunters do benefit a little from magic vulnerability (i.e. Serpent Sting's nature damage, Explosive Shot's fire proc). At least they did in the past. So yeah I'm just adding to the confusion, aren't I? :)

Either way, you're still best off with a crit buff if you're soloing, but of course in a group setting you'll want to bring whatever buff or ability benefits the group the most. I'm most often asked to cover spell haste for the benefit of the healers but I've also been the assigned brez, bloodlust, etc.
Vorhees wrote: This will cast misdirection on my pet.
Unless I've set a target focus, and that focus is still alive, then it will cast to the focus instead (wich would be the tank, don't go killing your healers now or something silly like that)
You can replace the word "focus" in the macro with the tanks name, if you need that for something else.
I actually run with 3 misdirection macros. One specifically for the pet (which rolls Misdirect with Mend Pet), one for my focus target (that's my general raid macro, since I focus a tank), and one that targets a player by name (in certain fights *ahem* GARROSH you might lose your focus during transitions and in that case, I want to make sure I can at least target the main tank very quickly).

So depending on what I'm doing I move macros on and off my bar, while keeping the other two on hand (always handy to be able to MD onto your pet to save your group from a wipe).
Krysteena
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter

peanutbuttercup wrote:A basic macro for that would be:
/tar _Insert_your_Character_Name_Here_
/cast Spirit Mend
/targetlasttarget

I'm sure there's niftier ways to write a macro for this but this works fine. You can leave the last line out if you don't want to automatically re-target whatever you were last targeting, but most people probably would want to.
Ahh thank you! I'll get down to macro business tonight, when I can finally log on :)

Vorhees, thank you kindly as well ^_^ I'd quote you, but if I quote things with quotes I get confused and quote the wrong thing .-. So, yes, thank ye!
Vorhees

Unread post by Vorhees »

Thanks everyone for the feedback, this forum :headbang: rocks :headbang:
Junrei wrote:It's kinda weird how they have it set up. Like, for us in our character thingie, we look at the Ranged section. That's for hunters pretty much specifically. Every other ranged is a magic caster of some kind so they're looking at the Spellcasting section. They do still have different types of damage, but for us, it's not considered a spell I don't think. I could be wrong, of course!
No you are not wrong, I think there may be some confusion on what we are talking about though.
Our attacks are generally not spells. For example, they cannot be bounced by spell reflection AFAIK.

There are attack types such as Melee, Ranged and Spell.
But then there are damage types also.
Like Physical, Shadow, Arcane etc.

So for example:
Explosive shot is a ranged attack that does fire damage
Fireball is a spell attack that does fire damage

The problem is when the game tooltip uses the vague description "magic damage".
I would assume it means all damage types except physical, but it might be that it only affects the attack type spell aswell.

But yeah, I could be completly and utterly wrong.
My information is quite outdated, we still had resistances as a stat when I left, wich is supposedly removed now.
And if they make further changes in WoD...Well discussion is pretty moot then :P

Speaking of magic, and steering back to the original topic for a bit.
There seems to be very little love for pets that counter casters, like the gorilla.
Similarly for pets that root, when mobs panic at low health, and run to get help, it's quite annoying.
Are they generally only used for PvP, and rather useless in PvE ?

They look useful in theory to me, but not so much in practice, since we allready have tools to handle these situations.
Lisaara

Unread post by Lisaara »

Nothing wrong with discussion! I'm actually now very curious to how this all is supposed to work. For all we know, we're both wrong.

If you'd like, I could ask some friends I chat with in my mumble server to see what they say. One has played since Vanilla so he's been around for all the changes(and thankfully he knows Vanilla was terrible XD).

Yeeeeah we don't have resistances anymore. I mean the gear exists but it's....useless, to say the least.

I definitely recommend checking out all the changes coming to WoD.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/156825 ... s-9-9-2014

That link will basically tell you what's coming within the next month.

I don't remember if Gorillas and such and such are even keeping their roots and stuff but I assume those are generally used for pvp due to mobs not running away except in very low levels.

LisaaraPokefarm

peanutbuttercup
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter

Vorhees wrote:Explosive shot is a ranged attack that does fire damage
Fireball is a spell attack that does fire damage

The problem is when the game tooltip uses the vague description "magic damage".
I would assume it means all damage types except physical, but it might be that it only affects the attack type spell aswell.

But yeah, I could be completly and utterly wrong.
My information is quite outdated, we still had resistances as a stat when I left, wich is supposedly removed now.
And if they make further changes in WoD...Well discussion is pretty moot then :P
There was a point where yes, magic damage modifiers would work on the magic portion of something like Explosive Shot. And I'd bother to go look it up to see if that was still the case, except as you noted, with WoD coming up, it's kind of a moot point since I don't know if/how it'll change there.
Vorhees wrote:There seems to be very little love for pets that counter casters, like the gorilla.
Similarly for pets that root, when mobs panic at low health, and run to get help, it's quite annoying.
Are they generally only used for PvP, and rather useless in PvE ?

They look useful in theory to me, but not so much in practice, since we allready have tools to handle these situations.
Roots I don't use much, those really do feel like PVP oriented abilities. Interrupts however can be very useful in PVE. Counter shot is on a 24 second CD which is way too long to be useful in raid settings. So if I see my raid team has buffs are pretty much covered, I do switch to an interrupt pet to help out. On fights like Garrosh, it can make a huge difference.
Dweezill
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Sargeras

Unread post by Dweezill »

I personally like carrion birds for leveling/soloing. Their AoE ability controls more than one mob and reduces the amount of damage those mobs deal. Plus, carrion birds have some really cool, unique skins. Like I said, hold agro on multiple mobs and reduces the damage they deal. Win/win! Great soling pet.
Royi

Realm: Ysera

Unread post by Royi »

I'm surprised no one has linked this video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhvvNGeHHME

Sporebat, the best pet
:) ~ Formally known as Royi ~