PSA: Timewalker Dungeons and pets w/ visual effects

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.
Bendak
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter
Realm: Whisperwind

PSA: Timewalker Dungeons and pets w/ visual effects

Unread post by Bendak »

Just saw this blue post and thought it was worth mentioning!

If you have an oil-stained wolf or any other "glitch tamed" pet with a visual effect, you probably don't want to risk summoning it in a Timewalker dungeon.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... ?page=4#72

As we all know, if you bring one of these pets into arena they lose their special appearance forever. A similar system may be in place for timewalking. Here is the relevant bit:
Most buffs are cleared when entering Timewalking, similar to Arena. This is necessary to ensure that the down-scaling that occurs when you enter the dungeon is done cleanly.
Be careful!

EDIT:

It's obvious at this point, from people who have lost their treasured pets, that this is confirmed.

Do not take these pets into Timewalking dungeons.
Last edited by Bendak on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eyes of the Beast - My Hunter Blog
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: PSA: Timewalker Dungeons and pets w/ visual effects

Unread post by Vephriel »

Very good to know! Better to be safe than sorry. :)
Dialga
Expert Hunter
Expert Hunter

Unread post by Dialga »

This WILL happen. I took my poison-buffed pet (which I can reapply whenever) into a dungeon to test this. He WAS wiped immediately upon entering, and the same happened to another poison-buffed one I called out to test again. You may want to change the title to alert people more clearly - this isn't a might, it's a WILL. Thanks VERY much for the warning, I'd hate to lose one of my pets to this.
Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

This is similar to how prot paladins have to reapply Righteous Fury every time.

I've also noticed that upon leaving a TW dungeon, your pet may remain at the lower level.

Did half the Fel Forge with my corehound at 70.

Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

It's just a visual bug, otherwise your pet would've gotten one-shot.
Nimrod
Journeyman Hunter
Journeyman Hunter
Realm: EU - Ghostlands

Unread post by Nimrod »

Good point :)

Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Thanks for posting this. I was going to but I'm glad someone got it out there quicker.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

Quiv
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Thrall - Garona (US)

Unread post by Quiv »

Thanks for the heads up. I remember what it was like simply forgetting arena could do this, I couldn't image what it would feel like if you got surprised by this.
Bendak wrote:As we all know, if you bring one of these pets into arena they lose their special appearance forever.
"Try arena just once! C'mon..." he said. His exuberance was oddly infectious, and though PVP had never been an interest of mine, I had to admit he had sold me. "OK, fine, a couple of twos."

I wanted to show off how savvy I was, so I was going to pre-case a pet buff and then switch to another (I understood that was a thing in arena). Crit seems like a good buff to do that with.

Crit. Oh thats wolf. OH! I can show off my oil stained that I cleverly named BP.

*pet summon whistle*

"OK I'm ready."

*zone in*

Wait, what happened...

Oh right, I forgot.

:cry:
Wain
The Insane
The Insane

Unread post by Wain »

I've stickied this post for now. Thanks for the warning!
Shaman avatar by Spiritbinder.
Equeon
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Thorium Brotherhood

Unread post by Equeon »

Nímrod wrote:Good point :)
I wanted to update with a correction to my original post:

Though the pet has the health of its "real" level, its damage and threat seems to be that of a level 80 pet. One day while questing in Tanaan I found myself doing half the damage I normally was, and my pet was losing aggro every other pull despite having Growl on. Turned out he was still "level 80" from Timewalking.

After dismissing or resummoning, the issues with damage and aggro disappeared... so it seems like it's more than just a visual bug.
Tilo
Master Hunter
Master Hunter
Realm: Stormrage, Cenarius, & Ysera-US

Unread post by Tilo »

if you bring one of these pets into arena or timewalking they lose their special appearance forever
Ok so it seems when you initially enter arena, *haven't tried with timewalking*, your appearance pet is fine, but if you dismiss and resummon, the appearance vanishes. So I am assuming it's the same for timewalking? That's what I was wondering...
♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪ ♩ ♬ ♫ ♪
Signature Kamoodle []
Lelianna
Realm: Moonguard

Unread post by Lelianna »

Just lost my oil-stained wolf, Nightmare, to a time walking dungeon... I didn't know about this till it was too late :(. The second I loaded in, he was plain gray.. I was pretty devastated since he's been my favorite pet since Wrath. In my desperation I even tried submitting a ticket, but they said there's nothing they can do about it.. not that I'm too surprised but it was worth a shot.
Lomenta
Realm: Saurfang

Unread post by Lomenta »

I just lost my flaming boar. I'm devastated.
smashfanDS
Realm: EU - Silvermoon

Unread post by smashfanDS »

Lomenta wrote:I just lost my flaming boar. I'm devastated.
I...also didn't know about this...until i summoned my flaming boar too....I thought it was a "stealth fix" in the new patch that just came out, wanted to report it here, only to find out it was already known and many other hunters also had it happen to their pets :(
Nachtwulf
Grand Master Hunter
Grand Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Nachtwulf »

Just a note, it will also wipe (on leaving) your Darkmoon XP/Rep buff. I had just refreshed it after dying in a timeflop dungeon and as soon as i left, the buff was gone and the hat wasted.

someday I'll find someplace to host a sig that isn't stupid money-grubbing photobucket

zyggie
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: lightninghoof

Unread post by zyggie »

I so wish that this was up at the top earlier. I didnt / wasnt even thinking that a wipe would happen on a visual buffed pet until it was way too late and i lost my beloved signature pet FlameOn the flaming boar for Moodeep.
I even begged a GM to restore him with the answer that he couldnt unless he broke the game again to get it done.
I am tempted to ask if they have a time machine application like the Mac computers / laptops have that reset your computer to a previous setting if there is a need to do so due to some internal error.
I am also tempted to see if someone higher up could do a restore rather than a poor harried GM, even though the one i had was awesome and did try to comfort me in the loss.
Do i dare try the next fellow up or would that just bring me heartache?
For now any and all of my buffed pets are stabled on ALL of my hunters, i am even afraid if i were to bring in one of the maggots i would lose them because they arent 'normal' or intended pets just like my one and only true ghost wolf.
Does anyone know if those guys are safe or should i ask a GM about that one?
Thanks guys and gals, im going to go back to my corner and cry some more. (i actually didnt play for 2 days because i was and still am so upset over a 'silly' pixeleated pet)
Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Maggots are safe, its anything with a visual effect that isn't normally there that will be effected. So Felbound Wolf is fine, I bring mine all the time, the ghost wolf should be fine as it was not glitch tamed, nor were the maggots. But anything glitched tamed like pink bears, void wolves, pigs on fire, not ok. Also slimes are ok and so are the other two from that quest. Not sure about color changers, I don't really want to try it to find out, tho I'm sure they will be fine as they are not a glitch tame. :mrgreen:

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

zyggie - I think the reason GM's are no longer able to restore a appearance buff pet fully is because the game's mechanic may have just changed too much since 5.1 when they were hotfixed. The game I think some of the beasts may even have new NPC ID's too (Wain may be able to confirm this better than I) so the buff wouldn't be there since from my understanding they no longer work the same as they did. Which is why they'd have to "break the game" to get it to work. Which they wouldn't do. It sucks. Trust me. I lost my flaming boar long ago and was never able to get him back.

None of the color changers work either so I don't think they've been tested for timewalking. My suggestion if you're concerned just don't take it.

Sorry for your loss. :cry:

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!

Rawr
Realm: Draka-Wyrmrest Accord

Unread post by Rawr »

Color changers do work, we have already established that in this thread http://forums.wow-petopia.com/viewtopic ... er#p547495. There may be others out there. :mrgreen:

zedxrgal
Realm: Nesingwary, Vek'nilash

Unread post by zedxrgal »

As I said in that thread you're the only person I've seen that their color changes still work. None of mine nor any of my friends' do. I've not seen anyone post that theirs do still either. *shrug*
But best whether or not they work best to air on the side of caution and not take anything into time walking if you're concerned it may lose a special perk. Was all I was saying. :D

Below signature by LupisDarkmoon
My FR Lair! :mrgreen: My Lion Den!