Sporebat for raiding

Anything related to Hunter pets.
Forum rules
Treat others with respect. Report, don't respond. Read the complete forum rules.

Are Sporebats raid worthy?

Yes
59%
No
23%
Get a wolf noob
18%

Total votes: 22

bikazig
Realm: Greymane

Sporebat for raiding

Unread post by bikazig »

So i decided to get into raiding and i thought of getting a sporebat. I was told that wasn't a very good choice due to Sporebats having a weak ability. I thought Spore Cloud was a pretty useful ability with the AoE armor reduction and DoT. People keep telling me to grab a wolf and raid with it but the thing is i haven't found a wolf model that has grabbed my attention same goes for cats and raptors. So i was wondering do you all think a Sporebat is a raid worthy pet? I don't expect to bring in ZOMGWTFBQQ damage from it just have it around as something useful to the raid as a whole.
Last edited by bikazig on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vephriel
Illustrious Master Hunter
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Re: Sporebat for raiding

Unread post by Vephriel »

I'm not one to diss a pet just because it isn't the cookie cutter choice, however I'm not entirely certain a Sporebat would be worth it to bring into a raid.

I'd say perhaps try a Tallstrider if you're interested in an uncommon pet. They have a lot of same stigma as being useless, but I believe they're gaining popularity with their ability to make mobs (even bosses) miss an attack. I'm certainly considering picking one up if I can stand to let one of my other pets go. ^^;
Narasalu
Realm: Aggramar EU, Auchindoun EU, Defias Brotherhood EU

Unread post by Narasalu »

The armour reduction is fairly useful, but apparently it doesn't stack with a druids Faerie Fire(not sure if that is actually true or not :? ).
If that is the case, then they are only useful if there are no feral druids about :cry: .
Also known as Bermuda from those pesky official EU forums.
Saturo

Unread post by Saturo »

I've tried spore bats. They're fairly good, cool looking and sort of rare. There are however some pets that might be better, like wolves and wasps (they also have an armor reducer). However, if you like it's looks, use it!

I also exist on DeviantArt.
"I'll probably be some kind of scientist, building inventions in my space lab in space!"

Moderation note: Saturo is banned from all forums except the RP forum, and only allowed there until the current RP thread ends.

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Realm: US Grizzly Hills, Deathwing, Wyrmrest Accord
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

If your raid leader doesn't care, and you don't care about losing a small amount of DPS, I say bring whatever pet you want. ;)

Ana
 Community Resource
 Community Resource
Realm: Light EU Twintania/ Azol-Nerub EU

Unread post by Ana »

I agree, use the pet look you like.. sometimes i bring my rare golden worm.. just cause i like it so much... if ppl dont like my pet and boot me from a raid because of it, then i dont want to raid with these ppl :) usually most doenst seams to care, instead they comment on how nice it is to see something different then a wolf

HUGE thanks to Makoes, Syleye, FeralClaw, Pingupuff, Karin,Bowno, Varethyn, Ashaine, Kishay, Aki (Täräin13), my friend Marie and some lovely ppl on Fligth Rising for my lovely sig

Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master
Location: Wandering aimlessly under the effect of the Curse of Burgy BlackheaLET'S BUCKLE SOME SWASH!!

Unread post by Ryno »

Tårnfalk wrote:if ppl dont like my pet and boot me from a raid because of it, then i dont want to raid with these ppl
True facts.

Longwalker
Realm: Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Longwalker »

Actually, I'm leveling my Horde hunter now (it's been a few years since I quit playing my dwarf hunter and I've been missing it) so I can race change to Forsaken when the time comes.

What is the big deal about wolves? I would think 30% of your mana back from a cunning pet could be far more useful. Plus I'm loving the cunning pet so I can go BM and spec him to tank while I quest and dps when I'm MM in instances.
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Longwalker wrote:I would think 30% of your mana back from a cunning pet could be far more useful.
Looks good at a glance. Lots of math and tests will disagree.

Longwalker
Realm: Blackwater Raiders

Unread post by Longwalker »

Ryno wrote:
Longwalker wrote:I would think 30% of your mana back from a cunning pet could be far more useful.
Can you point me towards them?
Ryno
Guild Master
Guild Master

Unread post by Ryno »

Longwalker wrote:
Ryno wrote:
Can you point me towards them?
Personally no, but I'm sure someone has it up and will promptly reply here with the info. Heck, you could always test it yourself on target dummies too. Just sayin'.

Vephriel
Realm: Wyrmrest Accord US

Unread post by Vephriel »

The mana regain is a nice ability in theory, but the loss of DPS from the pet itself makes it not really worthwhile in raiding I think.

For instance, on a boss fight I hardly ever run out of mana in the middle of it. If for some reason I get low, I pop a mana potion and that's plenty to get me through the whole fight. Basically, the mana-back is pointless when it's not really necessary, and you could be getting a better DPS output with a different pet.
Epicfail
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: Uldum

Unread post by Epicfail »

For pet related math and why you should tame/spec a pet a certain way, see www.elitistjerks.com. Go to the forum, find the class forums and pick "Hunters". I will warn you, once you see the difference between dps between the best and worst, it may change how you see that pet and your willingness to raid with it.

I'm in the same boat, but I'll do the wolf thing till they mix things around again. I kinda like the wolf models for northrend, although I try not to look too hard at the emaciated torso much. I'd take my T-Rex or Gondria with me everywhere, but I can't use them as marks. I'm kinda hoping that changes in Cata, but just giving BM a serious rotation and comparible dps would be enough to lure me back.
I don't really feel like this is so much the "Post-Modern" era as much as its the "Pre-Zombie-Apocalpse" era. I consider myself more of a forward thinking guy and an era that just won't die is just as feasible as a coming era, where the dead come back.
krinnick
Apprentice Hunter
Apprentice Hunter
Realm: Elune

Unread post by krinnick »

I really like sporebats myself, but they really need to increase thier aoe dmg via spore, and last time I checked it was a 5% ap reduction? Or was it wasps that do 5% now worms 20% and spories 10%? Egad I think I slept since then. Having tamed every living critter and tested it out over the last 5 years ya think I would know,EXCEPT the Ghostwolf, never got him, but wasn't for lack of trying, Other then that I cannot at this time find a rare or research a rare ingame or animal specie I havent tamed tried out and released, I'm a incorrigible pet addict and the 5 slot stable limit is the bane of my existence. So every patch I go check out the "Still" listed as beasts proto drakes, And on an odd note the Vrykries in ICC that "clone" people the druid cats if they spawn are untameable, EGAD!! Having a pet "druid" would be like so awesome, /sigh,
I dislike cats not in RL oddly just ingame, being "stuck" using a wolf to raid is boring, I miss my worgan, /big sigh. I've completed the bloody rare and frostbitten achievements tamed Arcturis twice, no wait 3 times, hey I enjoy hunting rares got 2 Arcturis's on my alt hunter.
I miss the good Ol' days when rare spawn pets had certain above par abilities, and I wish "Pitch" would be removed from ingame or changed, I like to see that skin on peeps who hunted down and tamed Humar.
Sadly there are no "Special" pets really anymore that would take effort to tame like they are in raids and require the assistance of a mage and timing to tame or alot of skill, it's sad it's all generic bland and only thing to get a spirit beast ya got to do is have a very very sore posterior for waiting for one to spawn.
But I need to try out a sporebat again since they changed the Wolverine bite ability but who do I send back to the wild? Loque'nahak? Lupos? King krush? Arcturis? Silithid Ravanger? I guess I can spare LQ, /sigh -Kriad- Steamwheedle Cartel
kairii
Artisan Hunter
Artisan Hunter
Realm: EU-Arathor

Unread post by kairii »

ive been messing about with a sporebat last night only in HC's k yeah my gear is nice [look me up] but i was still top dps and my pet did some nice damage to
atm im messing with specs for them the one i have atm seems to be doing ok and ofc mana regen was nice to see i was doing 10k aoe on trash in FoS HC and on bosses 7k-8k since one of them is totally anti hunter -.-
tonight i think ill be doing icc 10 again so ill report back what he is like in raids :)

of not ill pug a ToTC 10 and see what happens XD

A huge thanks to kamoodle5 for the amazing signature

Évolution

Unread post by Évolution »

Sporebats are not good at all for raiding. Reason being is that Spore Cloud (http://www.wow-petopia.com/html/skills/ ... cloud.html) is a minor debuff and will be overwritten by any major armor reducing debuff (Ie, Acid Spit, Expose Armor, Sunder Armor, Feral Farie Fire). And since the major debuffs offer greater armor reduction, it is only common sense to use those.

That said, I love my Sporebat. Reason? Few Hunters use them for one thing. Another is that Spore Cloud in my experience holds AOE aggro better then Thunderstomp. And I think the overall look is very nice.

I find that Sporebats can be very useful in 5 man heroics though, especially where you have alot of Aoe damage being done.
Mintmazzo
Realm: Earthen Ring

Unread post by Mintmazzo »

I may look into sporebats... I currently use a moth. I've played around with talents, and somehow my moth has more AP and dps (the dps when you mouseover the Power stat) than my prev fav of the Wasp. I miss my wasp. It was the Blacksting type.